• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
To steer topic back on track.
Yes dear God yes

What would you be "community pleasers?"
Hmm a character that would excite the community, not necessarily myself...

I'm gonna say Chozo Dude. The community is very hyped for dread right now and I'd bet his inclusion would evoke all kinds of huge cheers.

And if you had to pick some first AND third party characters, who would they be?
First Party I'd pick a Gen 8 mon though I don't know who...

Third Party definitely going to pick Master Chief at this time. But Jill Valentine is still a personal MW as well.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
No that was some other guy.

Your bet is still on.

I'm not going to hold you to it, don't panic, but the cost of reneging on a bet is getting trolled about it. Sorry, I don't make the rules. :p
Fair enough. I do have a habit of running my mouth so I don't mind dealing with the consequences of my actions :wario:

1989gato

Smash Rookie
Waluigi and Isaac are the only real options I see as crowdpleasers for Nintendo despite how one person constantly insists Isaac wouldn't be wellreceived and thus is low key. As for third parties, Crash, Sora and Chief are easily the top 3 in that regard, no ifs ands or buts
none of those for certain it's not them. It's obvious that it's a first party ip no one is expecting and the pirahna plant is a mockery toward those that want lanky waluigi that hasn't had any real impact on any games thus far.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
none of those for certain it's not them. It's obvious that it's a first party ip no one is expecting and the pirahna plant is a mockery toward those that want lanky waluigi that hasn't had any real impact on any games thus far.
Oh yeah because Ayumi from Famicom Detective Club had a huge impact on gaming

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh yeah because Ayumi from Famicom Detective Club had a huge impact on gaming
Tbf it gave us Ace Attorney but nobody would pick Ayumi over the good lad Nick unless they're Nintendo purists who believe **** like Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball would be more exciting than Sephiroth

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To steer topic back on track.

What would you be "community pleasers?"

Characters that would excite the community, not necessarily yourself.

And if you had to pick some first AND third party characters, who would they be?
For the most part, you could look at a lot of common requests or characters that are almost undeniably iconic to the industry. Of course, a lot of that can even overlap.

Waluigi, Dixie, Isaac, Andy/Sami, B.Dee are a few first party characters that come to mind. Gengar might go over well for Pokemon a character as it's been consistently popular, despite some Gen 1 hate getting tossed in there. Any new starter would just be see as promotional shilling I guess. Garchomp's at least popular here.

Sora, MC, Crash, Phoenix Wright, Hayabusa, Any of Sonic's main cast, for 3rd party. To a lesser extent a 2nd Mega Man character, I'll admit that's some of my own bias slipping in.

Characters like Lara Croft, Bill Rizer, Scorpion/Sub-Zero or Chun-Li while their support isn't as explicitly as notable as say, Any 2nd Sonic character or Master Chief, are major parts of gaming history I think, so they'd go over well enough for that alone.

Oh, and Crono. Not nearly as big as Sora to the overall gaming zeitgeist I guess, he's pretty popular with the more "hardcore" gaming audience.

Shroob

Sup?
God, only 2 more days.

Come Monday, the hours are gonna drag and drag I feel.

Gonna 100% pull an all nighter to catch it live. Knowing me, I won't wake up for the alarm.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
On the opposite end Birdo's a character that probably wouldn't go over that well. Not the worst ever, just disappointing to a lot of people. Yet ANOTHER Mario character that wasn't Waluigi or Geno would probably leave a few people with a sour taste in their mouth. Toad, King Boo and even Pauline have seen some decent support from what I gathered.

She'd make a decent echo for Yoshi tho. Maybe the one unique move she'd have is a fireball instead of the Egg Lay grab.

Now the Dankest Mario related character would have been Captain Syrup or some **** like that.

Another Starter Pokemon would probably disappoint a lot of people.

John Fortnite would have a pret-ty mixed reception compared to other large 3rd Party series. Japan doesn't give much of a **** for Spyro.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
If cacomallow gets proven true tuesday almost 2 years after it popped up thatll be wild

I know ppl are like "its so fake" but it still has yet to be properly replicated (between the jiggle physics, high quality models, portraits, the stage being where it is at that time, the frozen timer(easiest one to replicate)) and no one has come forward so some part of me feels like itd be deeply funny and ironic how after all this time it just ended up being true lol

I know its also likely it was just a random oddity that well never know the truth behind, but some sick part of me would find it deeply funny and enjoyable to see the one thing no one has been able to disprove turn out to be true like some strange cryptid that eventually got proven true.

Some part of me feels its inevitable and it would be deeply hilarious to see it turn out to be actually true after all this time

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Day 10: Pyra/Mythra :ultpyra::ultmythra:

I remember waking up the morning the February 2021 Nintendo Direct was announced, doubting the announcement I was seeing on my phone. After all, it had been since September 2019 that we got a standard Nintendo direct, so I thought standard Nintendo Directs as we knew them were a thing of the past. Boy, was I glad to be wrong. Not only that, but the announcement promised the reveal of the next Smash Ultimate DLC character, making me even more excited about it. Of course, when that direct finally aired, the character that was revealed ended up being the Aegis (Pyra/Mythra).

Pyra and Mythra were characters I didn't particularly want in the game, but they looked very cool. I’ve mentioned outside of these forums that a stance change character would be a great addition to the game, and a character like Pyra/Mythra was exactly what I was looking for. I felt that Xenoblade 2 deserved a rep as well, so the reveal went better for me than I expected. Not only that, Pyra and Mythra were the second and third DLC newcomers that had spirits in Ultimate’s base game, further reinforcing that spirits did not eliminate a character’s chances for DLC. It managed to get even better after they came out, as they felt really good to play when I picked them up for the first time (mostly because they’re easy to play, but I digress). Pyra and Mythra ended up becoming powerful characters in their own right as well, with players nowadays placing them somewhere in the Top 3 and them even being a candidate for the best character in the game.
So first things first, I really, really love Xenoblade 2. The soundtrack is really ****ing good, I love a lot of the characters (Mythra, Nia, Zeke, Malos, Jin and Poppi in particular are all great and Rex is great too after his character development), I enjoyed the story a lot and all the new lore to the Xenoblade universe shown in the final chapter and I found the gameplay rather fun once you actually understand how to play the game. As a massive Xenoblade fan, these are my favourite newcomers period. I cannot stress how much I love us getting Xenoblade 2 content after the conundrum of being way too late to get into the base game.

These are my mains and my favourite newcomers period in all of Smash. They were also some of my most wanted overall alongside Dante and Geno, so to say I was happy was an understatement. I really liked their trailer and I really like their gameplay mechanic of being a switch character and having Aegis fight on their own is still accurate to XC2 thanks to Torna as well (Plus they fight on their own occasionally in cutscenes). The music added was mostly great, though they missed a couple of really good tracks and the remix to Counterattack is pretty ****. The stage is kind of mediocre for them though, I wish it was just Mor Ardain or something rather then the odd layout of Azurda. I also appreciate how they're easy for newcomers to get into and how easy they are to play, while also being really fun moveset wise. The reference to the Ardanian Soliders in the down taunt of Mythra is great too.

While objectively speaking, it's a worse pick then Sephiroth or Steve, for me personally it was better then both of them. I know I'm not going to be disappointed in the final fighter because I already have the one true character I want in this game, so anyone else would be the cherry on top of the cake at this point. :)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Are there really that many people still holding on buying the pass that might still buy it? It can't be THAT big a difference.
I was talking more so about how the suits at Nintendo were probably acting like monkey's cos it's some plug do they're gonna get additional sales from that game.

Shroob

Sup?
I was talking more so about how the suits at Nintendo were probably acting like monkey's cos it's some plug do they're gonna get additional sales from that game.
I mean, what games do they even have coming in the immediate future aside from Dread, Kirby, Splat 3 and Legends? BotW2 is a ways off and other than that, everything else is either already in as a spirit event for the DLC, or in as a character.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
See the thing with other Fighting games and their Last characters is that typically, Most, if not all the characters Games like Street Fighter, Tekken, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Soul Calibur etc, ALL Appeal to the Same Hardcore audience invested in the game

When they do have a Guest Character, they will typically reveal them first. Negan is a perfect example in Tekken 7 since he was actually the Last Character released, despite being among the first revealed in season 2

The DLC Fighters tend to be Veteran Fighters that already have shown appeal to the Audience. The Last Fighters revealed have typically been Brand New, never before seen characters. SFV, Tekken 7 have all went this route, but they also might be another Veteran, like with Soul Calibur. I think Samurai Showdown actually have it's Latest character be a Guest character (Baiken), though I'm not sure if the game is done with Support

DB FighterZ is a Game that's strictly about Dragon Ball, and the First batch of DLC Characters, to the Last DLC Characters were all Dragon Ball Characters. the last character in FighterZ was SSJ4 Gogeta, and while he did get some flak from people from being Another Gogeta, People did want SSJ4 in the game

Mortal Kombat 11 is weird since they have their characters revealed in Packs rather than Separately, and all the Last packs of Both the Recent Mortal Kombat games and Injustice 2 had some sort of Guest Fighter Present. MK11 ended with Rain, Mileena, and Rambo. Rambo might have not been Spawn, but he was still exciting enough, and People were all over Rain and Mileena

Smash is different from all these games, taking the most similarity to Mortal Kombat in it's frequency of Guest Fighters, but since all the Veteran characters are already in the Base Roster, and Smash is not gonna make a Brand New Character to add as DLC, it's relying solely on New Characters, which is something that none of the other fighting games do.

Nintendo seems to Priotize appealing to the Most audiences it can, and you see this with the Variety of where the DLC Characters come from. You got appeal to RPG Fans, Fighting game fans, Platformer Fans, Playstation Fans, Minecraft fans, etc.

The Main reason I bring all of this up is that when it comes to the Last Fighter, I'm thinking if it's not gonna appeal to a New Audience, it's gonna appeal to the Audience that is already invested in the game, and that's a good thing one way or the other.

That's why I have faith in whoever CP11 is to be a very enticing and exciting character. I don't think they'll do a Promotion character since all the Games are either too early or Too Late. Byleth was added when People were already invested in Three Houses, and same thing with Corrin for Japanese audiences, and Bayonetta was there for the Left out European and U.S Fans, as those are the reigons Bayonetta seemed to do really good on the ballot

I'm guessing the Main thing people are worrying about is a Pokemon. I guess it's possible, but I have faith CP11 is absolutely not a Pokemon.

I think when you count those out, all the viable options for characters to be CP11 all seem to be choices I think a Good amount of people will at least find interesting.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I mean, what games do they even have coming in the immediate future aside from Dread, Kirby, Splat 3 and Legends? BotW2 is a ways off and other than that, everything else is either already in as a spirit event for the DLC, or in as a character.
I was largely joking around. I mean, that kinda stuff is kinda like chairs IMO, as I couldn't really tell if people were kidding or actually legitimately thought some assumed it could actually be a hint. If it is a plug, it definitely isn't for anything aside from the minor chance that it is someone from Dread, so it'd just be token gen 8 pokemon and what not.

Shroob

Sup?
See the thing with other Fighting games and their Last characters is that typically, Most, if not all the characters Games like Street Fighter, Tekken, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Soul Calibur etc, ALL Appeal to the Same Hardcore audience invested in the game
Street Fighter 5 didn't get the memo and added a literal who OC instead of a fan request as its last character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Street Fighter 5 didn't get the memo and added a literal who OC instead of a fan request as its last character.
This is what happens when you invoke the dark powers of the ancient one Mar ket'ing.

In their mind it's a hype reveal as it's an early Street Fighter 6 character. Same genius that brought us reboot Dante in PSASBR

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A new day and a new poll. This time is favorite DLC trailer. Only two days left!

I was going to only allow one vote again, but that's too cruel. Even the characters I'm indifferent or dislike playing as have some amazing trailers that hit me right in the nostalgia. Only trailers IMO that are truly weak are those that gave things away immediately like Byleth & Pyra/Mythra.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
BK and Sephiroth hands down for best trailers.

Funny that both went big on recreating something prior.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

When they do have a Guest Character, they will typically reveal them first. Negan is a perfect example in Tekken 7 since he was actually the Last Character released, despite being among the first revealed in season 2

The DLC Fighters tend to be Veteran Fighters that already have shown appeal to the Audience. The Last Fighters revealed have typically been Brand New, never before seen characters. SFV, Tekken 7 have all went this route, but they also might be another Veteran, like with Soul Calibur. I think Samurai Showdown actually have it's Latest character be a Guest character (Baiken), though I'm not sure if the game is done with Support

DB FighterZ is a Game that's strictly about Dragon Ball, and the First batch of DLC Characters, to the Last DLC Characters were all Dragon Ball Characters. the last character in FighterZ was SSJ4 Gogeta, and while he did get some flak from people from being Another Gogeta, People did want SSJ4 in the game

Mortal Kombat 11 is weird since they have their characters revealed in Packs rather than Separately, and all the Last packs of Both the Recent Mortal Kombat games and Injustice 2 had some sort of Guest Fighter Present. MK11 ended with Rain, Mileena, and Rambo. Rambo might have not been Spawn, but he was still exciting enough, and People were all over Rain and Mileena

Smash is different from all these games, taking the most similarity to Mortal Kombat in it's frequency of Guest Fighters, but since all the Veteran characters are already in the Base Roster, and Smash is not gonna make a Brand New Character to add as DLC, it's relying solely on New Characters, which is something that none of the other fighting games do.

Nintendo seems to Priotize appealing to the Most audiences it can, and you see this with the Variety of where the DLC Characters come from. You got appeal to RPG Fans, Fighting game fans, Platformer Fans, Playstation Fans, Minecraft fans, etc.

The Main reason I bring all of this up is that when it comes to the Last Fighter, I'm thinking if it's not gonna appeal to a New Audience, it's gonna appeal to the Audience that is already invested in the game, and that's a good thing one way or the other.

That's why I have faith in whoever CP11 is to be a very enticing and exciting character. I don't think they'll do a Promotion character since all the Games are either too early or Too Late. Byleth was added when People were already invested in Three Houses, and same thing with Corrin for Japanese audiences, and Bayonetta was there for the Left out European and U.S Fans, as those are the reigons Bayonetta seemed to do really good on the ballot

I'm guessing the Main thing people are worrying about is a Pokemon. I guess it's possible, but I have faith CP11 is absolutely not a Pokemon.

I think when you count those out, all the viable options for characters to be CP11 all seem to be choices I think a Good amount of people will at least find interesting.
Every time we've gotten a token pokemon character in a smash game though, has solely been to appeal to an untapped audience. That's kind of what I mean when I say Pokemon waiting 2 years is absolutely fine, cos they view it as such a large series, that they always add the hot new thing in terms of pokemon to smash, cos it's very likely a goldmine of profit, especially as it's a first party, which is why this whole "new pokemon from most recent gen" thing has been going since smash 64 but really started to show in Brawl. It's such a big series that it can wait that long. If ARMS could wait then I don't see why the same couldn't be done for a game from the biggest media series in the world, especially as this plug isn't your usual Corrin. I certainly wouldn't hope to see everything go out on a bunch of whiny kneejerk reactions and hot takes from people who take stuff at face value, but it can't be denied that at the very least, it's definitely a real possibility. Not saying everyone does this, but after the crap storm that happened last time, we all know it's gonna apply to a sizable portion of the community if it is one of those types of characters (or anything that isn't some big time third party for that matter).

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Noted that. But Since Smash would never just make an OC as a DLC Fighter, I don't think we have to worry about that. When it comes to DLC, here is how I think it goes

Appeal to New Audience-->Appeal to Old Audience-->Create something New

Smash will never go in the 3rd category, so Appealing to the Old audience is as far is it's going to go.

In the Case of Luke, it's a Win-Win Situation. Tekken 7 had a huge Success Leroy, who was a brand new character (Well before he Released anyway). I'm unsure how to describe Fakcukram (and I know on release, he got hate like Leroy), and Lidia, while intially not appealing, did turn out to have some postive reception on Release

Luke's Reception didn't seem to be the best, but Capcom still wins in that any criticism of Luke can be fixed when SF6 Comes around. It's better for Luke to fail here than fail as what seems to be the New protag of SF6

The thing with Brand New Characters is that it can work and prove to be popular, but it's risky since there's no Proven track record with something that didn't exist intially. Smash is never gonna take this risk though, as because of it's status as a Crossover game, it's solely gonna add characters that already proven to have some degree of success. That's why I think CP11 is more than likely gonna be an exciting character one way or another

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Disney owns all the original content. The copyright screens in each game point that out.

John Vignocchi, VP of production for Disney Infinity has also gone on record saying Disney owns it all.

Disney also doesn't have to seek approval from Square. They did so out of courtesy and brand consciousness for Disney Infinity but in the past Disney sought to use the IP without involvement from Square for Kingdom Hearts V Cast.
Then Sora would technically not be a second Square rep, which is the excuse people use to gatekeep him. He'd be a Disney rep.

Also, damn, I didn't think Disney Infinity would be talked about in 2021.

Sorry for the late reply, I was busy.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Tbf people grew on him a bit when it turned out he was a Street Fighter 2010 reference. Most people however still don't like how he's another blue eyed blonde person in the game.

Also I cannot fathom how Banjo can be your favourite trailer tbh. The CG is literally the exact same as K.Rool's, not even changing the beats beyond "Hey here's a random Jiggie in the house" when you could have recreated the intro from the original game but nah let's make it have the exact same joke. You can say it's actually super clever because lol Rare but idk, everyone else gets a unique trailer so saying your favourite is the one that's completely recycled in every way feels off as it comes across as "The trailers themselves do not matter". Then again multiple people said that they wouldn't enjoy Banjo anymore if they changed a single move's sound effect so I'm probably gonna get jumped on for saying you can do something better that can also sell people who don't know them lmao

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Best trailer was Joker trailer for the complete fake out.
Smash ultimate Day release reveal.
At the game awards with the outrage fakeout.
With the Smash Ultimate concert right after.

Y'all can put your bias aside, i'm right and you're wrong for that one. And I'll fight you to death. :bobomb:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Also Double post but.

One last celebration of gaming.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Also Double post but.

It's ****ing wild how it's been three long years and we're gonna come to an end. I have confidence this'll be good as I'd say I'm fairly easy to please

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also Double post but.

Gaming ends after the last fighter is revealed.
End of Ultimate causes second video game crash. More at 11. :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Is it Pythra day? Well now it is. Pyra & Mythra are the perfect characters. Goated characters from the greatest game ever made, best VA, amazing music, house husband Rex & your boy Gramps as a stage. I freaked out during the reveal; best Smash trailer no contest (I'm not biased at all). They feel so fun to play and swordies are my jam; amazing taunts and win screens with a perfect moveset. Only problem is the lack of cat hoodie alts & the rest of Xenoblade 2's OST. Don't @ me just gushing over getting my most wanted and they're actually good and fit my playstyle, but hey they were always gonna be busted when you put sword Sheik and sword Ganondorf in the same character.

Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom