• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Remember when everyone in the RTC thread made alts for Kid Icarus characters for a laugh?

Good times. Good times.

I was lucky and managed to snag the dog.

1633247886193.jpeg

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
TO BE FAIR

This is fairly impressive for the GBA of all things.

Not necessarily a good kind of impressive, but impressive nonetheless.
I'll agree to that.

On a technological level, it looks amazing.

But it just looks really bad to play.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Letting your imagination run........

........wild?

holy *ing *
View attachment 332686
Congratulations, I think you made the first Wild Woody reference of the year!

The drawing stuff to make weapons would be a fun gimmick.

"Joker reps SMT" always came off to me as mental gymanstics to maintain the illusion that characters need to have some sort of big Nintendo connection to get in.
Yeah kinda. I know we have weird situations with Yoshi being his own series but might as well just be another Mario character. But Persona branched away from its main series about as much as King of Fighters did from Fatal Fury.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But Persona branched away from its main series about as much as King of Fighters did from Fatal Fury
I'll disagree there.

King of Fighters kind of absorbed Fatal Fury.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are still very separate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah kinda. I know we have weird situations with Yoshi being his own series but might as well just be another Mario character. But Persona branched away from its main series about as much as King of Fighters did from Fatal Fury.
I think the comparison doesn't even make that much sense because Persona isn't a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off. It's just English localizations acted like they were for promotional purposes.

They share a parent series and Persona is inspired by an SMT game but that's it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
mmm what gba game? that's weird, I remember the series being a Sony exclusive at the time
Tekken Advance. It was the first GBA game I ever got now that I think about it. It plays surprisingly well. It uses the Tekken Tag PS2 Models as a base and converts them into sprites, although the re-used tracks in the OST are from Tekken 3. There's a few other neat bits about it, Like giving Jin a Black/White alt, I think it came out a little before Tekken 4, where that version of Jin had a similar color palette. Or how Yoshimitsu's and Nina's Stages are based on Tekken Tag.

I'll disagree there.

King of Fighters kind of absorbed Fatal Fury.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are still very separate.
I guess. I'm mostly thinking in the sense that both series were running together until 2000.

Give me Garou 2 already SNK.

I think the comparison doesn't even make that much sense because Persona isn't a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off. It's just English localizations acted like they were for promotional purposes.

They share a parent series and Persona is inspired by an SMT game but that's it.
Ah, I see. Fair enough.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
** me, can we just get someone credible coming in and saying "Ya, ** no, it's not Sora."
I made my peace for more than a year now.
Why now?
It’s hard not to start talking about Sora again with how hard they’re hyping up this finale. He’s one of the most requested characters in the west & in Japan, that’d be one hell of a finale.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To be fair, no matter who the last character is, of course they'd hype them up. It's kind of their job to do so. Capcom had to hype up the likes of Abigail and Luke about as much as Akira or Sagat when they got added to SF5. Same with Namco hyping up everyone from Geese, to Negan, to Leroy, to Ganryu for Tekken 7.

No company is gonna say "Hey guys, don't get too excited for this one, lmao."

I mean, WE tend to tell each other to keep our expectations low because we all have such a wide variety of tastes and interests, and some personal investment in seeing X, Y, and Z show up.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
To be fair, no matter who the last character is, of course they'd hype them up. It's kind of their job to do so. Capcom had to hype up the likes of Abigail and Luke about as much as Akira or Sagat when they got added to SF5. Same with Namco hyping up everyone from Geese, to Negan, to Leroy, to Ganryu for Tekken 7.

I mean, WE tend to tell each other to keep our expectations low because we all have such a wide variety of tastes and interests, and some personal investment in seeing X, Y, and Z show up.
This one seems different though. They’re doing a lot more to build up this reveal than they did with the others.

I guess that could just be because it’s the end. But I do think Nintendo & Sakurai know who would excite the fans. I don’t think they’d be doing all of this for Cinderace or the SMTV protagonist.

I think it’ll at the very least be a character that gets a generally favorable but not earth shattering reaction. So someone more along the lines of Phoenix Wright or Dixie Kong.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm going to report you to sakurai for invalidation
  • Sentence actually makes sense
  • Correctly spelled Sakurai
  • No real punchline
  • No real WTF moment
  • Picked on the same guy as last time
Not a very good troll. 2/10

See me in my office afterwards.

Last edited:

1989gato

Smash Rookie
It’s hard not to start talking about Sora again with how hard they’re hyping up this finale. He’s one of the most requested characters in the west & in Japan, that’d be one hell of a finale.
For the weak and invalid, sure, it's causing quite a stir that Japanese comedians and the population has demanded Sakurai make Smash 6 as soon as possible in the style of Soul Calibur II so that Tim Allen could get in because he had a SNES game that was western. And Sora can be on the PlayStation edition of Smash Bros. Totally a theory that makes perfect sense yes.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Ah, I see people are once again falling into the hype trap.

Not me though! I have long accepted that my MWs will not make it into the game, so it won't work on me.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For the weak and invalid, sure, it's causing quite a stir that Japanese comedians and the population has demanded Sakurai make Smash 6 as soon as possible in the style of Soul Calibur II so that Tim Allen could get in because he had a SNES game that was western. And Sora can be on the PlayStation edition of Smash Bros. Totally a theory that makes perfect sense yes.
  • Confrontational
  • Different target
  • Tim Allen reference
  • Uncited sources
  • Slippery Slope Fallacy
Much Better. 8/10

Significant improvement.

I'll stop now.

Last edited:

1989gato

Smash Rookie
Yeah, those posts are just about as 'Murica as they come.
Wrong. If it was pro American, I'd be talking about Captain Falcon and his buddy Duke Nukem being cut from Smash Melee but here we are doubting its any Japanese game from a Japanese developer that lives in Japan 🗾 okay smash fans, we all know Sakurai lives in Los Angeles and not Japan and he's white sure thing folks. We might as well just say it's Glade from Fire Emblem because heroes hasn't added him in yet because everyone owns a mobile phone 📱 the same reason people assert themselves over Sora being in Chain of Memories, an obscure and overpriced GBA game that was at best for those that didn't own a PlayStation 2 and wanted to play the game on Nintendo or the developer wanted to do a handheld edition of the game. Total theory max headroom

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To steer topic back on track.

What would you be "community pleasers?"

Characters that would excite the community, not necessarily yourself.

And if you had to pick some first AND third party characters, who would they be?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

And if you had to pick some first AND third party characters, who would they be?
Aside from the one we've been going off the past week over, the obvious ones are Crash and John.

As for first parties, the well's run pretty dry, so it's extremely hard for me to say... all I know is that my MW would most certainly not please a majority of the crowd for many factors that should be pretty obvious.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Aside from the one we've been going off the past week over, the obvious ones are Crash and John.

As for first parties, the well's run pretty dry, so it's extremely hard for me to say...
John 117 or is there some other John I'm not aware of?

osby

Smash Obsessed

First party: Waluigi. I don't see how any other plausible Nintendo character would get a positive reaction from the community at large.
Third-party: Master Chief, Sora, and Crash. Yeah, pretty basic characters but I think we passed the point where fandom can tolerate newer or less conventional picks.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You know what... I do actually have a DK mask. i don't know about a full costume but a video of me with the mask on can be arranged
Lol wait seriously? Haha I was kidding I know you don't want to do the thing but if you do ill have a respect for you unrivaled in these years of Smashboards. Go for it!!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

The number one, by like, a far amount right now would be Sora.
Then Master Chief.
Then Tossup between Waluigi/Crash.

I nonetheless think that some unspoken big name could also be a community pleaser if they're handled well (like Joker did) like let's say 2B (lmao CERO) or Sol Badguy

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Waluigi and Isaac are the only real options I see as crowdpleasers for Nintendo despite how one person constantly insists Isaac wouldn't be wellreceived and thus is low key. As for third parties, Crash, Sora and Chief are easily the top 3 in that regard, no ifs ands or buts

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice

Master Chief, Doom Guy, Crash, and Waluigi. I have absolutely no personal attachment to them, but I know a lot of people would be excited for any of them.

The only one that makes me roll my eyes in disappointment is Waluigi. I just think there’s much more interesting options in terms of Mario and Wario representation. I’d get over it, but I would have 0 hype.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom