• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I see some days got eventful.

Anyway, I'm not talking much because my family has finally gotten our new house. It hasn't been fully set, so I'm not going to have internet until Friday, aside from how much mobile internet I have. So I'm trying to save that for when the Sakurai Presents comes.

Anyway, I have no issues with any of the newcomers. Although Hero(mainly Eight), Banjo, and Sephiroth were really good surprises. But the others were also fun too.

That aside, still sticking to my Phantasy Star prediction, regardless of leaks and whatnot. Though as I said, I'm pretty open to almost anyone, although a Fortnite character will need to do some heavy convincing. But where's the fun in speculation if you don't stick to your predictions that you feel have a possibility? So to the end, I'm sticking to my Phantasy Star prediction.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In an odd promotional twist, Fighter 11 will in fact be Final Fantasy IX's Vivi...

...in car to help shill Chocobo GP.
If I had a nickel for every time someone made a post that made me think an image was still loading on it while no such image actually existed I would have two nickels, which isn't much, but it's weird that it happened twice no?

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
If the site lags after you click "Post reply" and you click it again it will double post when it goes through.

Dunno if that's what actually happened but...now you know I guess. And knowing is half the battle.
I think that's what I accidentally did. Thank you for the warning.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Day 9: Sephiroth :ultsephiroth:

With the 2020 Game Awards fast approaching, the internet discussed whether or not we would have a Smash reveal show up there or not. After all, we all expected a reveal at the 2019 Game Awards but instead got Byleth revealed in a solo presentation a month later. Luckily Nintendo would clear up the discourse by outright announcing that a new fighter would be revealed at the 2020 Game Awards. Many characters were brought up, but, as is the trend of FP2, the one that would show up was one not many talked about prior...

What opened the 2020 Game Awards was perhaps the best Smash reveal trailer we've ever gotten. The Smash cast is on their desperate last stand against Galeem when it starts charging a powerful attack. All of the sudden, the godlike being was cleaved in two by a mysterious entity. I thought "who is powerful enough to be able to do this?" Then I heard the first notes of a certain well-known final boss music. It was clear at that moment that this mysterious entity was none other than Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, one of the most iconic video game villains of all time.

As the rest of his reveal trailer took place, my mind would be blown over and over. Sephiroth tears through the Smash cast with his Masamune and giant explosions, rushing forward to seemingly stab Mario right through his neck. Of course, this is an E10+ game, so Sephiroth merely caught Mario on his overalls, giving me a good laugh. Cloud and Sephiroth then duke it out, directly referencing Advent Children. This was a character I didn't know I wanted. Not only was this another villain, a character archetype that I've supported for a very long time (Look at Bowser Jr, Ridley, and K. Rool), but this was a character I thought would be cool but dismissed because I thought it wouldn't happen. Then, at the 2020 Game Awards, he appeared in probably the single most cool character reveal trailer in all of Smash 4 and Ultimate.

His Sakurai Presents would air a week later, showing off a repertoire of powerful attacks and huge, sweeping hitboxes. Of course, with such a powerful kit, Sephiroth had to have drawbacks, those being his low weight and trouble with close range. However, Sephiroth was not dropped like a normal DLC character. Instead, Sakurai and the developers allowed the player who purchased FP2 to unlock him early. That is if you could be him in a fight. The Sephiroth Challenge was dropped right after the presentation, allowing access to the character, stage, and music five days early. However, his spirit board would not be added until his actual official release date.

Sephiroth gave off a great first impression when I got my hands on him as well. In the first few hours of playing him, I was having a lot of fun, and, eventually, I was playing him so much that he became one of the two characters I play the most regularly (the other being Bowser). Sephiroth ties and maybe even surpasses Banjo as my favorite DLC character inclusion and was an excellent inclusion for me in all aspects.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
83M people watched TGA 2020 live, ergo all 83M people saw Sephiroth in his glory.
I've said it before but I'll say it again

But you KNOW the trailer's especially good if Non-Smash fans react to it with overwhelming positivity:

You'll find some YouTubers outside of the Nintendo spectrum and some big faces (Jacksepticeye included) and they're going nuts over it.
Heck even one guy said "I DON'T EVEN OWN THE SYSTEM OR THE GAME BUT HOLY ****!"

Outside of this first video, some other great examples include but are NOT limited to:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
All this Sephiroth reminiscence got me thinking: who do you folks want as the next FF rep? Assuming Cloud and Sephiroth come back next game with all their content, who would you want coming with them and why?

FreeFox

Smash Lord
What excited me the most about Sephiroth´s inclusion is the fact that he came to fix FF representation issues within Smash. The lack of spirits and music was a glaring point when Smash Ultimate was announced.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I personally think the Sephiroth Challenge shouldn't have had selectable difficulties and should have been way harder. Hard enough that beating it actually felt as though you managed to "skip the line," so to speak.

Had the Sephiroth Challenge been a permanent thing they kept around to unlock Sephiroth after purchasing him, I'd agree with how they did it; being permanently skill-gated from something you paid for would kind of suck, after all.

But if you're gonna sell it as getting the upcoming DLC fighter early, then It should be a very difficult, well, challenge. "Git gud or wait a few days," to put it bluntly.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
All this Sephiroth reminiscence got me thinking: who do you folks want as the next FF rep? Assuming Cloud and Sephiroth come back next game with all their content, who would you want coming with them and why?
Literally any FFXIV character solely for the music.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
How is Round 2 the least voted Mii costume set in today's poll? :mad: don't y'all remember that it has the jiggle physics Slime hat?? What can beat that?

It's gotta be Black Mage dude. One of the cutest and most iconic character designs of retro gaming, and they would have such a wild and varied moveset if Super Smash Flash is any indication. Plus the classic pixelated Final Fantasy games definitely need some big big representation in Smash.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
3 days until Amingo finally ends our suffering.

Bottom text.

I know it works on a point system; I just think it’s dumb.
Which is fair - the point system feels a bit counterintuitive IMHO (even if it works to keep Sephiroth from snowballing).

Terra. Dissidia fully convinced me that she could work as a burst mage, she's a great character and she represents one of if not my favorite FF period. But honestly, I'd be fine with the other choices too. Whether Cecil, FF1 rep (whether original or Dissidia WoL), Squall, Tidus / Yuna, Notics, Lightning or anyone else.

Super Smash Bros.: "That's a nice song ya got there. Would be a shame if I...

...made it 16 minutes shorter."
The solution there would be to introduce a feature where one could start from specific parts of multi-part tracks. I'm saying this not only because of Dancing Mad, Heat Haze Shadow should've had its 2nd part included too - that's another song that could use such a feature.

But we'll have to see if a future Smash game introduces such a feature.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
With three days left until The Final Battle (which is a much better name than The Final Mr. Sakurai Presents, if you ask me), I've decided to start my Smash Ultimate newcomer retrospective.

I originally wanted to make daily write-ups on the DLC like the rest of you, but I knew how bad I am at keeping daily tasks up. I then decided to write one giant retrospective and post it on October 4th, big enough to possibly adapt into a YouTube video afterwards, but I felt that was too much work and didn't want to interfere with my current YouTube plans. Therefore, I will deliver my (quite basic) opinions on every Ultimate newcomer over the next three days, starting with...

JustNo's, formerly LAA9000 with no Premium status to allow for a name change, Smash Ultimate Newcomer Retrospective
Part 1: Base Game

I was asleep during the March 2018 Direct that announced Smash Ultimate, and being a wee 12-year-old lad, lacked the wisdom to turn off YouTube notifications the night before. Cue me waking up, turning on my iPad and finding GameXplain's Smash for Switch discussion video in my notifications, when I had no prior knowledge of such a thing being announced. Despite the spoiler, I was very excited. Smash was one of my favourite game series at the time, and I was of the age where I could join in on a new game's hype cycle, even without any particular most wanted characters. At the forefront of that were these two squid kids from a series that I wasn't interested in at the time.
Now that Smash Ultimate has been out for almost 3 years and I've gone through a giant Splatoon phase, I think this series' representation is fine, taking into account that most of it is based on Splatoon 1 due to development timings. Inkling's moveset is passable, though I wish there weren't so many generic kicks and instead they used weapons like the Charger that they don't currently use. I also wish ink was a buff to Inkling's mobility instead of damage, to reflect how it acts in its home series. I do like playing as them, but I could say that about most of the roster.
I wish Moray Towers wasn't the Splatoon stage either - it's my least favourite Splatoon stage, the Smash incarnation is lame, and there are other stages like Flounder Heights that could've made for much better Smash stages. At least the music and Spirit selections are as good as I'd expect, even if the two new remixes aren't very good. Do you wonder why I want Octoling in Smash despite already having Inkling?
Daisy, why, oh why
did Nintendo not give you
one difference from Peach?

Such a contrast in
manner, ability and
personality.

And Echo Fighters
needed justification
to be in the game.

Yet cruel Nintendo
saw nothing in you, and changed
not one move from Peach.

Now I write haiku,
lamenting my desire for
a unique Daisy.
The E3 2018 Nintendo Direct left me so excited for Smash Ultimate that I could not concentrate at school the next day; every interaction with another person made me want to shout 'HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT SMASH ULTIMATE? THEY'RE BRINGING BACK EVERY FIGHTER EVER TO APPEAR IN THE SERIES AND THEY'RE ADDING NEW CONTENT AND MECHANICS!' The best possible end to that 25-minute virtual rollercoaster was a reveal of the fans' sacred 2nd Space Pirate. I didn't care much about Metroid back then, but I knew of Ridley's demand from the Smash fanbase.
Now, his inclusion is something I forget about a bit. His moves aren't all that interesting, and he's designed as a superheavyweight while being lighter than Samus. As someone who prefers character inclusions that expand the scale and scope of Smash, I sometimes feel bad that I take some characters' inclusions for granted despite fans clamouring for them for ages and their reveals feeling massive as a result. I think this is why Fighters Pass vol. 2 focused on filling holes in existing Smash representation, as opposed to vol. 1 adding more universes to Smash.
CastleVania had it excellent in Ultimate. A fighter with a moveset that both accurately reflects their series and provides a coherent toolset for a fighting game? A clone character alongside them? A stage that captures the mood of their series and features cameos? 34 music tracks, including many banger remixes? CastleVania got all of that. The intense hype that Simon had prior to the August 2018 Smash Direct paid off hard. This series' representation satisfies me so much, and it amazes me to think that Konami let Sakurai use all of this.
If I have one complaint, it's that Dracula's Castle should have a more interesting layout. It's in the awkward middle ground of trying to be a competitive stage while being banned in tournaments. Since its brightness would likely get it banned no matter what, I say expand it.
The ideal Echo Fighter. A Roy counterpart to Lucina was a hole that I'm glad was filled in ever since Roy was decloned from Marth, and he borrows Ike's up special. What's not to love?
...That the other Echo Fighters didn't get this same treatment. Dark Samus using Samus's moveset is so inaccurate that people agree that its Assist Trophy in Smash 4 was a better representation of its ability, and this is the last major thing holding Metroid's representation back. It doesn't help that Samus herself isn't too accurate to her own abilities, but at least she fills the role of Smash's introductory projectile zoner... which the three Links also fill.
The fighter to end off Ultimate's impressive streak of fan-requested characters. I could say the same things to K. Rool as I did to Ridley... but look at this guy! He sells so much personality in every action that he's solidly cemented himself into the Smash roster. Not into the meta, though; you can see the developers tried to address some flaws of superheavies, but it evidently wasn't enough, and I wish most superheavies were better. Replace the counter down special, while they're at it. But those Gang-Plank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony remixes...
With how big Animal Crossing is, I should've seen another fighter from that series coming. Alas, Isabelle is deservedly in Smash, and there's not much else I can say. Making her a semi-clone of Villager wasn't a great idea in my opinion, because it would've been fun to see more Animal Crossing mechanics translated into Smash.
A very obvious choice for an Echo Fighter, and a special case among them. He's way more unique than typical Echoes, even breaking what we thought were established Echo rules. All of this comes down to reflecting his home series, which is why he can get away with having command-only moves that Ryu completely lacks and still sharing his fighter number: because he had those in Street Fighter. As much as I wish more Echoes could be like this, this may be a bit too much for other potential Echoes, and Chrom is more resourceful in making more out of less.
The obligatory Pokémon from the latest generation that I don't care about since I don't play Pokémon. He's unremarkable in Smash, but Revenge is a great move, and I like how they experimented with wrestling moves that would suit him instead of only using moves he uses in Pokémon.
Hopefully, tomorrow should bring Part 2: The Plant and the Pass vol. 1.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

I bought an SSD (2TB) that can be built into the PS5. small! But it helps.
A model? Figure theory strikes back with a vengeance.Our last characater is a Playstation controller.Who could have guessed? :4pacman:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't know much about the series, but apparently Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2's main character has what looks like a giant pizza cutter as a weapon. That alone is enough to win me over.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Which is fair - the point system feels a bit counterintuitive IMHO (even if it works to keep Sephiroth from snowballing).
If I were to guess, I'd say the point system is to make sure he keeps his comeback state if he's down a stock.

The solution there would be to introduce a feature where one could start from specific parts of multi-part tracks. I'm saying this not only because of Dancing Mad, Heat Haze Shadow should've had its 2nd part included too - that's another song that could use such a feature.

But we'll have to see if a future Smash game introduces such a feature.
Multi-phase songs could try and implement a feature where the song moves from one phase to the next as the battle goes on. So like:
  • From 0%-~33% of the stocks or time, is when the first phase plays.
  • Then the second phase plays from ~33%-~66% of the time or stocks.
  • Then the third plays from ~66% onward.
For a more clear example, in a 3 stock, 7 minute match:
  • Phase 1 would play at round start.
  • Phase 2 would transition in as soon as possible after either player loses a stock, or the timer goes below ~4:66.
  • Phase 3 would transition in as soon as possible after either player gets down to their last stock, or the timer goes below ~2:33.
EDIT: A system like this might still be a tad awkward in the default no stock, 2 minute matches though, which is what the music is composed for.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
That aside, still sticking to my Phantasy Star prediction, regardless of leaks and whatnot. Though as I said, I'm pretty open to almost anyone, although a Fortnite character will need to do some heavy convincing. But where's the fun in speculation if you don't stick to your predictions that you feel have a possibility? So to the end, I'm sticking to my Phantasy Star prediction.
Sell me- the guy who thinks that SEGA will be the company for CP11 -on Phantasy Star. What would it bring and why should it be considered?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
What's everyone's current prediction.

I'm currently on Ahri.
Still 20% sure it's Octoling, or Off the Hook if Nintendo are too concerned that the former looks too similar to Inkling.

On that note, I have decided that if Nintendo leaks CP11, I will do... something. I'm not sure what yet. Probably something lame like read out the entire Bee Movie script.

Edit: I'm taking suggestions. Obviously, make sure your suggestions are sensible for a 15-year-old to do.

Last edited:

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe we have 3 Nesses in Smash. :ultness: , :ultlucas: and :nessecho: .
Game theory was right
Never forget this Sakurai tweet:

Others have made some good choices, but if I may offer a proposal for a rep that maybe you didn't know you wanted...
Gilgamesh_Full.png

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
On another side note, all the Cinderace doomposting is probably the most annoying thing to come out of the community recently. We get it. Smash doesn't typically save the best for last. The newest Pokémon generation doesn't yet have a Smash fighter. You don't need to bring it out as a punching bag every waking moment of our lives until the 5th.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Darn it, missed Steve day. Interestingly, both Steve and Sephiroth actually have a lot in common. In that they might just be the two biggest Smash reveals ever.

Like, Ultimate had already been out for nearly two years, yet Minecraft Steve being announced as a fighter still managed to break Twitter. There aren’t many video games out there that have the ability to break Twitter two years after launch, but that’s just the kind of pull that Smash (and Minecraft) has.

Similarly, most people tuned into the game awards to see the new Smash reveal. After Sephiroth’s announcement, most people just did not care to stay for the rest of the show. Instead of watching the rest of the awards, or staying for any other game announcements, people literally just wanted to see the next character for a two year old game. And my god those Sephiroth reactions were insane.

I think about Seph and Steve’s reveals and it blows my mind that Nintendo would ever stop supporting Ultimate. A lot of fighting games will get new characters for years, with many fighting games currently being on their third or fourth wave of characters. In most instances, people slowly start to lose interest over time, but Smash manages to have the same impact (or dare I say an even bigger impact) 2+ years after launch. What a special game.

I get why Sakurai and Nintendo would want to stop after FP2. Sakurai has been working on Smash for a decade, and even though he could probably keep releasing DLC for years to come, it’s respectable that he can look at all that he’s done and feel satisfied and ready to move on. However, I know that I speak for a lot of people when I say that I would gladly pay for two more passes given the chance.

Anyway, Sephiroth is awesome. He’s currently my most played character in Ultimate. What is there to say that hasn’t been said? They went all out in making him feel like the coolest, sexiest, most evilest thing on the planet. No complaints whatsoever.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's everyone's current prediction.

I'm currently on Ahri.
If I had to place money on anyone, Cinderace.

I'd prefer another Pokemon like Zacian, Hatternne or Falinks but that's the safe bet to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom