• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel like none of the other Rare characters besides Dixie (and maybe Krystal on a good day) have sufficient enough fan demand for them to be on Nintendo's radar, but I would like to see the likes of Perfect Dark, Jet Force, Blast Corps, Battletoads, etc to show up in other roles like assist trophies, trophy/spirits or Mii outfits, kinda like how Bomberman, Monster Hunter and Virtua Fighter all have non-playable stuff in Ultimate.

It's time to revert the Motion Sensor Bomb back into its former glory

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The whole "Scrimblo bimblo" shtick is fine when it doesn't come off as meanspirited. Most of the time I think it's innocuous enough - albeit not the pinnacle of comedy - but every now and then somebody'll come off as particularly antagonistic with it. I don't usually say anything since I don't really like arguing here but it's definitely bruh material.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That’s why I said “compared to their other options”. Being a cute animal mascot from the same genre and console generation objectively makes him more redundant than RARE’s other characters. I’m fine with him getting in eventually but I’d prefer the company’s other areas get represented first.
Redundancy is binary: It either is or it isn't, so no matter what other options we're talking about it still isn't redundant.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Scrimblo is funny. We've had to deal with years of bad faith people talking about "anime swordsmen" but suddenly people can't handle it when it's their character being made fun of.

Scrimblo Bimblo is also funny because of how true it is lol. Sometimes I look at a character and there are truly no better words for it than Scrimblo Bimblo.
Yeah but... making up funny sounding words to insult a character...

Are you six? Do you want to take a trip to the playground and argue with the first-graders?

At least anime swordsmen and cereal mascot are words. This is some Genoke and Shantal business.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Redundancy is binary: It either is or it isn't, so no matter what other options we're talking about it still isn't redundant.
I disagree. By that logic, nothing is redundant unless it is exactly the same. Most people would say another Pokémon or Fire Emblem character would be redundant since we already got one newcomer of each series this game even if they played completely differently.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is how CJ gets in
jokes aside if it comes to switch I’m copping it fr

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Being a cute animal mascot from the same genre and console generation objectively makes him more redundant than RARE’s other characters.
Who else is there? Fulgore? When he has to fight over Scorpion, Sol Badguy, Kyo Kusanagi, Kasumi, any other addition to pre-existing franchises already introduced? And let's not even get started on Amingo.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Really the issue with Scrimblo Bimblo is that it’s lazy parody. The vast majority of platformer characters (whether they were company mascots or not) had actual names as their monikers or were play on words. They were not nonsense phrases. Even Banjo Kazooie is obviously inspired by the instruments in question. Cereal Box mascot was a generalization, but you could see the logic in it.

Funnily enough Yooka Laylee is a far more fitting parody name for that kind of character than most made up ones could be.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's time to revert the Motion Sensor Bomb back into its former glory
Waddaya mean? A Motion Sensor Bomb that nobody in their right mind would step on is peak visual design. :4pacman:
1633025051289.png

I disagree. By that logic, nothing is redundant unless it is exactly the same. Most people would say another Pokémon or Fire Emblem character would be redundant since we already got one newcomer of each series this game even if they played completely differently.
No the logic I'm using is that the fact that they are both 3D platformers doesn't make them similar enough to be considered redundant. If it was, the only characters that wouldn't be redundant would be the sole representatives of their genre.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It's MIn MIn's day isn't it?

She is one of those picks that gets better with age, to me. At first I was underwhelmed with her reveal since I never played ARMS and it didn't interest me at all. But then I watched her presentation and got real curious. Right before her release, I broke down and got ARMS and I'm glad I did. It's a very charming game and I've had a lot of fun trying out all the modes and messing around, especially in Snake Park with those hovering platforms.

To this day I still play Min Min occasionally because honestly I find her b******s to be amusing. The stage itself isn't super interesting but the music, man, the music is stellar. I'm glad ARMS got some time in the spotlight, even if I believed that opening with either Pythra or especially Steve would have been a lot better. Looking at the pass as it is, I'm baffled as to why they chose MIn Min of all these characters to start the pass with.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Who else is there? Fulgore? When he has to fight over Scorpion, Sol Badguy, Kyo Kusanagi, Kasumi, any other addition to pre-existing franchises already introduced? And let's not even get started on Amingo.
The Battletoads and Joanna Dark are also solid options. Battletoads was one of the first big sucesssful western games on a Nintendo console and they have been making something of a comeback in recent years. GoldenEye and Perfect Dark revolutionized FPS games before Halo even existed.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Cereal mascot is so old school.

We call them Scrimblos now :4pacman:
I just call them cartoon animals.

Yeah but... making up funny sounding words to insult a character...

Are you six? Do you want to take a trip to the playground and argue with the first-graders?

At least anime swordsmen and cereal mascot are words. This is some Genoke and Shantal business.
Issac.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Waddaya mean? A Motion Sensor Bomb that nobody in their right mind would step on is peak visual design. :4pacman:
View attachment 332218

No the logic I'm using is that the fact that they are both 3D platformers doesn't make them similar enough to be considered redundant. If it was, the only characters that wouldn't be redundant would be the sole representatives of their genre.
Yes, but it’s not just the fact that they are 3D platformer reps. They are also from the same developer and console generation as well as both being humanoid talking mammals in clothing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Battletoads and Joanna Dark are also solid options. Battletoads was one of the first big sucesssful western games on a Nintendo console and they have been making something of a comeback in recent years. GoldenEye and Perfect Dark revolutionized FPS games before Halo even existed.
Battletoads is an alright choice, but were we playing the same Perfect Dark? :mybodyisreggie: If you wanna talk about what "revolutionized" FPS, let's talk Id Software, not anything Rare made in the N64 days.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've had a lot of fun trying out all the modes and messing around, especially in Snake Park with those hovering platforms.
Life's greatest mysteries: How in the heck is Snake Park a popular stage?

From what I've seen I'm pretty sure that one's just people genuinely misspelling Isaac (or making fun of those who do that).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Battletoads is an alright choice, but were we playing the same Perfect Dark? :mybodyisreggie: If you wanna talk about what "revolutionized" FPS, let's talk Id Software, not anything Rare made in the N64 days.
More specifically, RARE revolutionized multiplayer in the FPS genre. Doom and Wolfenstein were largely single player experiences. RARE’s FPS games were huge at the time.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes, but it’s not just the fact that they are 3D platformer reps. They are also from the same developer and console generation as well as both being humanoid talking mammals in clothing.
The developer and the console are irrelevant to the actual properties since developers can make very different games and said games can be on the same console.

There are surface level similarities between Conker and Banjo-Kazooie, and they are more similar to each other than the other Rare games just by nature of sharing a genre, but they aren't redundant.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
More specifically, RARE revolutionized multiplayer in the FPS genre. Doom and Wolfenstein were largely single player experiences. RARE’s FPS games were huge army the time.
On a multiplayer standpoint I could really only agree with GoldenEye, if not for the infamous top tier that was Oddjob. However, I would thank Quake for spawning the actual format multiplayer FPS games would become today.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to take anyone's opinion seriously when they use the term "scrimbo bimblo". It has just caused more divide between the "cereal mascot" fans and the "anime swordsman" fans. As someone who LOVES both JRPGs and 3D platformers, I will never understand why the smash fanbase has decided to start a war between those genres.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We've had a meme villain back in the Smash 4 days that no one remembers but me.
It rings a bell, though I dunno if it's here that I saw it.

Cursed memories.
Miiverse was hell but for kids.
At lest it gave them a way to call for help when their parents left them at Gamestop.

Anyway, I was planning on doing stuff in the morning and it's...not morning anymore, so I'm gonna announce my departure 'till at least the evening so I will actually leave and go do it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I miss Miiverse, what's more fun than hopping on the Wii U Miiverse stage and duking it out with crudely drawn Samus hentai in the background? :4pacman:
It should’ve come back.

I don’t care if the switch doesn’t have miiverse. Make it a greatest hits of all the best miiverse posts.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Could you add Ezio, Tracer, Kratos, and Gordon Freeman to your list? Also, why are you making this list? For fun, or are we playing a guessing game of some kind?
I have attachment to Tracer as I play OW and love the game (though I main Reaper, Junkrat and S76), I GENUINELY think Ezio could be the fighter, and the last two are just fighters I'd love to see for the sake of "gaming history" and uniting companies to create something greater than themselves and what not. Though Gordon's chances aren't that low IG.
Sure, why not.

Umm so it struck me this morning (you can thank Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura ) when I noticed many posters here bring up their mw frequently and discussions either ensue or in the case of like, Waluigi Nahobino arguments start heh, but overall this thread that's dedicated to speculating the DLC houses some fantastic points of view and I wanted to keep a simple list of everyone's mw. Like I said some share multiple users backing them and some are just one or two users but who keep it going from day to day so I thought it'd be neat to have them all in one place.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sure, why not.

Umm so it struck me this morning (you can thank Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura ) when I noticed many posters here bring up their mw frequently and discussions either ensue or in the case of like, Waluigi Nahobino arguments start heh, but overall this thread that's dedicated to speculating the DLC houses some fantastic points of view and I wanted to keep a simple list of everyone's mw. Like I said some share multiple users backing them and some are just one or two users but who keep it going from day to day so I thought it'd be neat to have them all in one place.
It'll make sense to everyone eventually why Scorpion is a kino addition to the roster. :jojo:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I keep hearing this name and I don't know what it means
It sounds dumb but I'm curious
It's a joke theory about how Min Min's dragon ARMS spew fire, and Steve's down tilt has him start a fire. But then Sephiroth had the Flare line of spells in his specials, and Pyra is Pyra, so people started to take the joke theory seriously until there was a tourney dedicated to fire users, and Kazuya didn't utilize it at all.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
It's a joke theory about how Min Min's dragon ARMS spew fire, and Steve's down tilt has him start a fire. But then Sephiroth had the Flare line of spells in his specials, and Pyra is Pyra, so people started to take the joke theory seriously until there was a tourney dedicated to fire users, and Kazuya didn't utilize it at all.
sounds about right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom