• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
2018 egg!Momo would not have believed I'm saying this now, but I hope Incineroar is here to stay. He's just so fun.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
No clue, I came in on not liking anime being racist.

Out of curiosity, does Fate/Stay Night have any Nintendo releases?
Alongside everything else mentioned, there's also a Prisma Illya 3DS game.

Since I feel like it, I'm plugging Saber's Melty Blood trailer here. I love how they specifically say she "should not even be here"

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Song counterpicks here we come.
If you thought you were tired of listening to Battle! (Steven), Battle! (Elite Four) / Battle! (Solgaleo/Lunala), The Battle at the Summit!, and Battle! (Island Kahuna) before than brace yourself for those being literally the only songs played due to popularity and the high BPM.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Alongside everything else mentioned, there's also a Prisma Illya 3DS game.

Since I feel like it, I'm plugging Saber's Melty Blood trailer here. I love how they specifically say she "should not even be here"

Videos like these always remind me of Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, which was the closest we'll ever get to anime Smash Bros. (Jump Force doesn't exist) which makes me pretty sad.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How will they fight to Environmental Noises?
Not song songs like Environmental Noises and Electroplankton would likely just have a fixed BPM coded in rather than trying to derive something from nothing. That's actually the easy part of balancing a system like that. The hard part is:
  • How do you help the player handle tempo changes?
  • How does this mechanic interact with Stage Morph?
  • How do you deal with the Hammer, Super Hammer, and Super Star power ups since they put "music" over the current track, but it's actually counted as a sound effect by the game?
  • How do you balance a high BPM vs. a low BPM?
  • How would you make a BPM based mechanic not feel terrible in the first place?
So yeah. Pain.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The jiggle for Pyra and Mythra was unnecessary but having big boobs isn't... bad? Big boobs exist in real life.

Pyra and Mythra are I guess more attractive and fanservice-y than, I don't know, Min Min? but I also think part of the problem comes from some folks that can't go around the internet without causing a scene or being instantly and absurdly horny each time they see a fictional female character showing even the slightest amount of skin.

I remember when P&M were revealed that a significant amount of reactions were just like "booba girls" and similar things. If anything I think the problem lies with the folks that see Pyra and Mythra and just see "booba" and think the characters don't have anything else to offer, and this goes to both fans and detractors of P&M.

Not to say, it also kinda weirded me out because before P&M we got Sephiroth, who had a lot of people simping for him, partly thanks to his shirtless alt. Then we got Pyra and Mythra, and suddenly things went like "Smash is crossing out the line, these characters are just waifu bait". I don't know, that whole thing didn't sit right for me back then.
I think it's also fueled by how much you emphasize it. Female Byleth gets some flack for her design, but putting her side-by-side with Pyra and it shows that her outfit isn't really made to... Stick out as much, so to speak.

Regarding the double-standard, maybe it's because I don't really look beyond SB much but at least in here I think Seph was just the key to the vault of thirst. First for Sephiroth, then for the Blades. Don't think Kazuya got much of it, though. Maybe it's all those scars...
Hey, furries are people too. :ultfox:

...I think.
To answer this confusion, we'll have to delve into the definition of people in the context of multiple sentient species and genuses beyond Homo Sapiens and its subspecies and related species. Does it have to be "human," or is it just the consciousness that's needed? If you build a robot and give their AI sentience, are they people now, or still just a machine? If we flipped the genre and had magical spirits and alchemical creations, are they people too?

We could go on about this for a while but I lack the motivation and energy to write long posts nowadays so you guys will have to carry on without me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's also fueled by how much you emphasize it. Female Byleth gets some flack for her design, but putting her side-by-side with Pyra and it shows that her outfit isn't really made to... Stick out as much, so to speak.

Regarding the double-standard, maybe it's because I don't really look beyond SB much but at least in here I think Seph was just the key to the vault of thirst. First for Sephiroth, then for the Blades. Don't think Kazuya got much of it, though. Maybe it's all those scars...

To answer this confusion, we'll have to delve into the definition of people in the context of multiple sentient species and genuses beyond Homo Sapiens and its subspecies and related species. Does it have to be "human," or is it just the consciousness that's needed? If you build a robot and give their AI sentience, are they people now, or still just a machine? If we flipped the genre and had magical spirits and alchemical creations, are they people too?

We could go on about this for a while but I lack the motivation and energy to write long posts nowadays so you guys will have to carry on without me.
Jokes on you, I tend to admire some older men 😎

like Jecht from FFX. 100% daddy material right there

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Alright bros, which blue colored anime style sword wielder featured in a recent game whose design specifically appeals to me do you want in Smash?
View attachment 332138
Van would be the funniest timeline

Nintendo: Here's Van Arkride as the final Challenger Pack, releasing this October. You can play as him in Kuro no Kiseki, coming out in the west... (looks over to NIS America) uh wait, when is it getting localized again?

NISA: idk, probably 2024? We have like four other Trails games to localize first lol

Nintendo: ...oh

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Say the final fighter is a "Sakurai pick" as Joker and Terry were.

Who do you guys think it'd be?
There's no such thing as a "Sakurai pick" Nintendo chooses everything. If it was his choice then Steve and Byleth probably wouldn't have gotten in. Terry and Joker were both actual proposals by Nintendo.

I really don't get why people still think Sakurai can choose characters when he said multiple times he doesn't. The only true "Sakurai pick" is Piranha Plant and he wasn't in the fighter pass.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Nintendo: Here's Van Arkride as the final Challenger Pack, releasing this October. You can play as him in Kuro no Kiseki, coming out in the west... (looks over to NIS America) uh wait, when is it getting localized again?

NISA: idk, probably 2024? We have like four other Trails games to localize first lol

Ys: Releases on PlayStation in Japan, spends the next 2-3 years gradually localizing and porting the game, moves on to the next one to restart the cycle

Trails:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Say the final fighter is a "Sakurai pick" as Joker and Terry were.

Who do you guys think it'd be?
brings out the old postbook and puts up this post
I feel like Phantasy Star is one of those actual dark horse candidates when it comes to Smash. For one, it's finally starting to get back attention in the West after like, 8-9 years. So it's not entirely unknown. Two, the original Phantasy Star was an important and influential game, for both RPGs and Sega.
  • For RPGs, it was one of the first RPGs to have actual named main characters or Pre-determined characters rather than a character you gave a name to and sometimes could customize, one of the first ones to have a female lead, one of the first RPGs to use a science fiction setting compared to Tolkien fantasy, basically, it broke alot of molds that were created with Dragon Quest and Legend of Zelda.
  • For Sega, it was the game that gave rise to the legends Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima who would make Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as Nights and Burning Rangers. Yuji Naka would also make Phantasy Star II alongside legendary Sega artist and producer Rieko Kodama, who would direct Phantasy Star IV, both of which were critically acclaimed games, and Kodama would go on to produce Skies of Arcadia, which was also critically acclaimed. And Yuji Naka would also be responsible for Phantasy Star Online, which would be the inspiration and influence for Namco's .hack series and Capcom's Monster Hunter, and it was also credited for being the influence for alot of multiplayer dungeon crawlers that would flood in Japan after it's release.
    Without Phantasy Star and it's success, it is quite possible that alot of these games, especially Sonic the Hedgehog, may never have happened.
And last but not least, Phantasy Star II's Story Submission campaign was what inspired Sakurai to become a video game developer, as @Captain Shwampy re-posted a while ago.

So basically, despite not getting alot of attention for Smash speculation, Phantasy Star has actually had a real impact on gaming and developers, including Sakurai. To me, this series would make a lot of sense as a "Terry" pick, where it's not one that gets alot of attention speculation-wise and is overshadowed by alot of more popular picks like Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, etc. But it could be picked because of it's important influence to the gaming industry and the developers it inspired, like how Fatal Fury inspired Sakurai and was an important influence for Smash Bros.

I honestly don't believe that Phantasy Star is a lock. But I do think it has a reasonable chance. Will it bring the last fighter? Who knows? We have to wait and find out.
So there's my answer.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Atlus fans: "Finally, Shin Megami Tensei getting a simultaneous release!"

Falcom fans: "They finally localized Zero no Kiseki after 10 years, let's gooooooooooo!"
The first one is the protag of the upcoming Trails game.

Actually it came out today.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway anyone wanna write up some last minute dream trailer mock-ups?

here’s one from Character Exploration Thread that I’m super proud of (they’re doing Octoling today)
alright

time for the trailer

this one is LONG. I'm going all out with this, and yes I am doing a "final battle" (vs Galeem and Dharkon) theme

The trailer starts with the cross slash, and then...

Inkopolis Square, just like when you start Splatoon 2. the camera zooms in on the big TV on top of the tower as this song plays:

Pearl: Y'all know what time it is!

Marina: It's Off the Hook, coming at you LIVE from Inkopolis Square!

Pearl: Hey, Marina, did you hear?

Marina: Hear what?

Pearl: The Super Smash Bros. tournament is ending soon! They're gonna bring in their last newcomer today!

Marina: It's hard to believe it's finally coming to an end... just like when we did our last Splatfest...

Pearl: Say, remember when we had a Smash Bros. themed Splatfest?

Marina: Heroes vs Villains! And I'll remind you that Villains won!

Pearl: Doesn't look like it on the Smash side of things...

(The screen behind them shows the new DLC heroes and villains on either Pearl or Marina's side. Heroes on Pearl's side, Villains on Marina's side. Pearl's side lists Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Steve & Alex, and Pyra/Mythra. Marina's side has Piranha Plant, Zombie & Enderman, Sephiroth, and Kazuya.)

Pearl: In the end, Heroes win, baby! BOOYAH!

Marina: No need to gloat, Pearlie...

(the image on the TV behind them changes to static)

Pearl: Ayo, what's going on?

Marina: Hold on, it's coming in...

(This song plays as an image of the Smashers looking at Galeem and Dharkon fighting in the sky appears)

Marina: Looks like Smash is in trouble!

Pearl: Holy carp, Marina, WHAT DO WE DO!?

Marina: The only thing we can do...

(Marina pulls out something from behind her. They're two Smash Invites)

Pearl: Are those... THE LAST SMASH INVITES?! And they're for two?!

Pearl: Does this mean...?!

Marina: As much as we'd like to join Smash, we have a career to keep up here. We can help, but...

Marina: It should go to someone who deserves it more. And I know just who....

Pearl: And that’s all the time we’ve got!

Pearl: Until next time…

Pearl & Marina: Don’t get cooked! Stay off the hook!

(The scene changes to the Final Battle area of World of Light as this song plays. We see CGI of various Smashers fending off Galeem and Dharkon-created clones of themselves, like Min Min fending off her Galeem clone and Kazuya attacking his Dharkon clone. It then cuts to Off the Hook's helicopter in the distance. The camera changes POV as if it were the newcomers'.)

Marina: Sorry to get you two on such short notice... just help the others until Pearl's ready to do her thing! I’ll provide some backup with my Hyperbombs!

Pearl: I gotta do this AGAIN? Oh well... go save the world again, Agent 8! Both of you!

(The camera changes to show female and male Agent 8 holding the Smash invites before going into Octopus form and jumping to the others as this plays. As they're about to land, around 0:11 in the song, they go back to their humanoid forms and you see this title card: )

Octoling Paints the Town Pink?!

(the text fade in effect also resembles the mission descriptions at the start of each OE level, including the final level)

(Gameplay consists of the Octolings using their various weapons against Galeem and Dharkon-created clones of the fighters, including DLC. Some such shots include a Dharkon clone of Cloud and a Galeem clone of Sephiroth at the Northern Cave; a Galeem clone of Pyra and a Dharkon clone of Terry at KoF Stadium, and a not clone, but Galeem possessed (aura only) Yellow and Green Inkling on Octoling's stage, MC. Princess Diaries. this is a throwback to Hijacked Agent 3. After a CGI shot of both Octolings detonating a series of Hyperbombs that demolish most of the clones, MC. Princess Diaries' stage gimmick is also shown: after two minutes pass, Pearl descends from the sky and whomever approaches her gets her to use her Princess Cannon. it has a larger radius than Inkling's Killer Wail final smash. also, Octoling's final smash, Booyah Bomb, is shown off at some point prior.)

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

X

Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion

cut back to CGI. Galeem and Dharkon begin charging massive blasts of energy as this plays. The Octolings run back to the other Smashers, making uneasy noises when the song cuts to 0:23 and Pearl leaps from the sky in front of the Smashers.

Pearl: Y'all did great. I'll take it from here!

Pearl: Vocal chords ready!

Pearl: AYO, LIGHT AND DARK THINGIES!

(Pearl's hair glows pink AND she has the Final Smash Aura. She's an Inkling, so I guess Smash-verse is just treating her as an Inkling with the Princess Cannon as her Final Smash. She whips out the Princess Cannon, Galeem and Dharkon fire, and then...)

Pearl: BOO-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

(the next scene folds out exactly like this, with the fluctuating bars and finishing much the same way, only difference is the the "Good Guys" bar has a rainbow wave left-to-right effect, and "Bad Guys" has right-to-left waves of yellow and purple.)

(As Galeem and Dharkon die and fall into the ocean, this plays. You see the balls of yellow and purple light before they burst into the Spirit-spout reaching into the sky. All the Spirits are finally going home. This is World of Light's true ending.)

(Finally, one last CGI to send Smash Ultimate off. It emulates the credits sequence of Octo Expansion, but with all the smashers (incl. different gendered/different character alts like the Heroes if any) standing on the cliffs watching the Spirit spout, and Pearl and Marina performing Into The Light on the little portable stage carried by their helicopter. A holographic screen appears a few seconds in, showing the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate title, and key segments of each trailer in reverse order:

Octoling -> Kazuya -> Pyra/Mythra -> Sephiroth -> Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman -> Min Min -> Byleth -> Terry -> Banjo & Kazooie -> Hero -> Joker -> Piranha Plant -> Ken & Incineroar -> Isabelle -> King K. Rool -> Dark Samus -> Chrom -> Simon & Richter -> Ridley -> Daisy (as part of Everyone Is Here) -> Inkling

then Smash 4's trailers in reverse order:

Bayonetta -> Corrin -> Cloud -> Ryu -> Roy -> Lucas -> Mewtwo -> Duck Hunt -> Bowser Jr. -> Shulk -> Lucina & Robin -> PAC-MAN -> Mii -> Palutena (and Dark Pit) -> Greninja -> Little Mac -> Rosalina & Luma -> Wii Fit Trainer -> Mega Man -> Villager

then at the synthwave part of the song, the Brawl reveals (idk the order but reverse em). At 2:52 in the song, as Marina sings again, you see the segments of the Melee intro with Melee's newcomers, then 64's intro with all its newcomers. At this point, the sky changes to the morning light as it was previously night. The last thing on the holographic screen is one final marquee of the completed Smash Ultimate banner before the holographic screen fades away as the song ends, everyone looks back at the viewer, and the camera slowly pans up to the sky where the Spirit-spout ends.)

Thanks for playing!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Anyway anyone wanna write up some last minute dream trailer mock-ups?

here’s one from Character Exploration Thread that I’m super proud of (they’re doing Octoling today)
I've actually read that on the Character Exploration Thread. That was feckin' beautiful. Even if the final fighter wasn't Octoling, I could definitely see a reverse compilation of all the fighters in the final presentation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I've actually read that on the Character Exploration Thread. That was feckin' beautiful. Even if the final fighter wasn't Octoling, I could definitely see a reverse compilation of all the fighters in the final presentation.
I kinda forgot the OtH sign off at the end of the news segment initially tho 😅 just added it~

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder are they still gonna do PotDs after the last character drops? Maybe for a while, then one last send off pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom