• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Happened with Byleth who was last in Pass 1, then same could happen for here.
Well, October could still be the more likely, safer bet, but what are the odds of it happening tomorrow, at least?

I mean, even if Sakurai said it would take a while, it has been three months since he said that. That is a while.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Watch how every begins to speculate how the final character will relate something to Halloween given October only for it to not be.

Still betting its a character no one has even thought about as usual given Terry, Sephiroth, and Kazuya.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Anyway, once the next Nintendo Direct shows up. I can guess some titles popping up
1. Splatoon 3 by the Squid Research Lab. By looking at the time progression since Splatoon 2, I can speculate that 6-8 years may have passed and this is another location for inklings and octolings.
2. Either a Sakurai Presents announcement and/or the final character drop. May either have it at the beginning or end. Still, don't fully invest in the idea.
3. Announcements for the remaining games titles coming in 2021 and moving on to 2022.
4. Any surprise announcements from other companies and Nintendo (Like a upcoming new Kirby game.)

More ideas are good to input. Remember to not press the wrong switch.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
There will not be a Direct without the FP11 announcement unless FP11's reveal happens as a one-off announcement before the next Direct, which is certainly possible depending on how far away the next Direct really is, something that I don't think anyone can be sure of at this point.

General Directs don't skip Smash unless there really is just no Smash, like between Smash for and Ultimate and after FP11. Even the one in February 2019 felt compelled to drop a release window for Joker.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Once Smash Ultimate is over, Nintendo will know that people eventually start wondering when the next Smash title appears. Which may take 5-7 years in a new console (maybe) before seeing another one with a fresh new roster. Hopefully, they may get new ideas during the downtime.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I really want to be wrong, but my former prediction is still valid: the direct will happen at least one week after the release of Metroid Dread/Switch OLED. And by "at least" I mean that it could potentially happen in november or early december too (I think they already have enough stuff for their holiday lineup, what they will announce next is likely 2022 stuff, so they don't need to announce it before the holidays).

In case the Smash character will be announced separately without a direct, an actual general direct might even not happen at all until sometime in 2022.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Okay, just for fun, let’s pretend that the last character would have some relation to Halloween. Who would you want to see if that were the case? I have several characters I’d love to see that could work like Magus or Gengar.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Here's a question about actual speculation: Do you think we'll get a character from a new genre/sub-genre as our final DLC fighter?

For reference, in this pass;
:ultminmin and :ultkazuya:were our first full-fledged 3D fighters, though hailing from series that have wildly different interpretations of it.
:ultsteve::ultalex: were our first sandbox/survival genre characters.
:ultpyra::ultmythra: and :ultsephiroth: came from series that already have playable characters so they don't really bring anything completely new.
A VN rep like Phoenix or Monokuma is something I think has a chance of happening.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Okay, just for fun, let’s pretend that the last character would have some relation to Halloween. Who would you want to see if that were the case? I have several characters I’d love to see that could work like Magus or Gengar.
Medusa (Kid Icarus) and King Boo both comes to mind.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that there's simply not a direct this month, while all their October marketing will focus on BDSP.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So do you guys still think there will be a general direct or are you expecting "Sakurai Presents ???" at this point. For every week that passes, the more likely I'm finding it to be.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Ashley, Etna, & Morrigan would be my picks.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There may be some hope for a Direct this week yet

The FCC filing for HAC043 was updated - all of the "short term confidential" docs that were initially confidential until March 2022 will now be available on Friday 9/24/2021. Nintendo will show us before Friday what this is.

Go to https://gov.fccid.io/BKEHAC043 and click "Summary", then get in the happening bunker.
This is about the N64 controller thing that's been rumored, btw

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So do you guys still think there will be a general direct or are you expecting "Sakurai Presents ???" at this point. For every week that passes, the more likely I'm finding it to be.
I have no idea but I’m leaning towards a Sakurai Presents. I have a feeling he’ll have a big overview of Ultimate as a game and highlight a few small updates along with discussing the last newcomer.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
You know, if it's true that Nintendo had originally planned to air a direct early in September but scrapped it once the Playstation showcase was announced, I can envision a scenario where they may want to gauge the reception of the showcase first before completely reworking the script and shift the focus on a very different lineup of titles.

Despite all the smoke and mirrors, the general opinions I had read was that the overall reception to the Playstation showcase was mixed at best, with the only real attention grabbers being Project EVE, God of War, and the Marvel stuff. There were many criticisms leveled towards the approach Sony took to the showcase overall, not the least of which being the complete absence of Japanese heavyweights (unless you count Forspoken but lol). I can envision Nintendo taking a bit more time to collaborate with their other Japanese partners to gather and edit footage for upcoming games in order to capitalize on Sony's shortcomings during their showcase. We could see them leaning heavily into not just Dread, SMT, and likely the new Xenoblade, but also things like Altelier Sophie 2 and the new upcoming .hack game.

Wisconsin is central time. I’m on the east coast soooo 10 AM Central is … 11 or 12 EST?

I still suck at time zone conversions lmao,,
Japan is 15 hours ahead of EST if I'm not mistaken.
Eurozone I haven't checked, but I would estimate 4-6 hours ahead of EST

Here's a question about actual speculation: Do you think we'll get a character from a new genre/sub-genre as our final DLC fighter?

For reference, in this pass;
:ultminmin and :ultkazuya:were our first full-fledged 3D fighters, though hailing from series that have wildly different interpretations of it.
:ultsteve::ultalex: were our first sandbox/survival genre characters.
:ultpyra::ultmythra: and :ultsephiroth: came from series that already have playable characters so they don't really bring anything completely new.
There are many genres with little to no representation in Smash so it's a bit of a silly thing to focus on IMO. FPSes, musous, beat'em ups, VNs and probably a few other major ones escaping me don't really have any franchises focused towards their respective genre being represented. Shoot'em ups only have Star Fox and I guess Duck Hunt. Racing games have F-Zero but he barely incorporates any racing aspects into his playstyle. Even worse for puzzle games and Dr. Mario.

Well someone's gonna win $20.00 from me if they guess correctly so sure put your minds together and make that prediction!
I made my prediction for Asuka and I'm sticking with it. When I said all in I meant it. No reason for me to effortpost that hard if I didn't have conviction behind my choices.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
When I said Cloud I meant Byleth.

What do you guys think? Do you think there's a shot it'll just be a "Sakurai Presents ???" to end Ultimate?
Regardless at this point I think it's one of the two followings.

A general direct in mid-October (And if not October then the VGA) or the announcement of a "Sakurai Presents ???" just like how Byleth was revealed.

Talk to y'all later, taking my dogs for a walk.
What do you guys think of the chances of a "Sakurai Presents ???" as seen with Byleth?
At this point I honestly expect a "Sakurai Presents ???" like Byleth.

It's either that or an October direct (First direct to not air before the TGS). I'm thinking the former given the trend of game reveals Nintendo is giving out lately.
A good question, but does it warrant being asked 5 times within 4 hours?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm expecting both. There's so much to hype around Nintendo that I feel a General direct which identifies fp11 will come either just before or just after Dread drops. Then about one or two weeks later will be an in depth look at the character then it'll be available for download later half of October.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Curious but has a general direct ever aired on an October.

Otherwise more the reason to think its gonna end as a "Sakurai Presents ???" notably Sakurai acknowledging and capsizing on Ultimate's run and how its coming to an end appreciating everyone that hung on for those last 3 and a half years.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Curious but has a general direct ever aired on an October.

Otherwise more the reason to think its gonna end as a "Sakurai Presents ???" notably Sakurai acknowledging and capsizing on Ultimate's run and how its coming to an end appreciating everyone that hung on for those last 3 and a half years.
I think it could be a full on Final Presentation a la Smash 4. Just one character, yes, but after the miis comes a bunch of non character features like standalone stages, additions to existing modes, and one final retrospective

and maybe, just MAYBE, an announcement of a post-Ultimate ballot to help decide who gets added next game. It’ll run for a year.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But seriously

M MarioRaccoon please do enlighten us as to why you think a direct could be announced tomorrow as it’s a holiday in Japan time? I’d genuinely like to know your reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom