• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I honestly do not believe that. I recall some others here saying it was a mistranslation. I doubt that is what Sakurai actually said in the Japanese script that day.
Then why take until potentially October when the usual reveal is every 2-3 months? Makes me think he stayed true to his word.
Here's the clarified version that I got:
  1. Sakurai himself never said the line.
  2. It was added to the subtitles in presumably all versions (at least in English and Japanese).
Whether or not it actually means anything is indeterminable because:
  1. It's vague (the normal wait time is about 3 months. I'd say that constitutes "a while" as well).
  2. Nobody can definitively say why it was added in post.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The final fighter won't be Waluigi, a Pokemon, Nabohino, Euden, Chozo Leader or any shill character...
Because it'll be Bubsy the Bobcat. That's what a true disappointing rep will taste like with how many people say the final character will be disappointing. :troll:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's a question about actual speculation: Do you think we'll get a character from a new genre/sub-genre as our final DLC fighter?

For reference, in this pass;
:ultminmin and :ultkazuya:were our first full-fledged 3D fighters, though hailing from series that have wildly different interpretations of it.
:ultsteve::ultalex: were our first sandbox/survival genre characters.
:ultpyra::ultmythra: and :ultsephiroth: came from series that already have playable characters so they don't really bring anything completely new.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Here's a question about actual speculation: Do you think we'll get a character from a new genre/sub-genre as our final DLC fighter?

:ultminmin and :ultkazuya:were our first full-fledged 3D fighters, though hailing from series that have wildly different interpretations of it.
:ultpyra::ultmythra: and :ultsephiroth: came from series that already have playable characters so they don't really bring anything completely new.
Still think it be cool to have a real FPS character in Smash, due how big the genre is to video game history.

MC is one of the most likely, but even then, it's kinda hard to tell atm.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero

No.
Phoenix as a VN rep would be neato tho

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Would be interesting if we got a whole new genre

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Damn first time for me Too look through the DR files myself and outside of a Cybershop christmas variant i found Nothin!
but nice i gues!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

We are getting a shmup character

But it ain't Reimu

il_570xN.2560382850_863b.jpg

SKX31

Smash Master
Here's the clarified version that I got:
  1. Sakurai himself never said the line.
  2. It was added to the subtitles in presumably all versions (at least in English and Japanese).
Whether or not it actually means anything is indeterminable because:
  1. It's vague (the normal wait time is about 3 months. I'd say that constitutes "a while" as well).
  2. Nobody can definitively say why it was added in post.
Which brings up an interesting question: Was the line added in other languages too? If so, that suggests a Nintendo-wide thing.

I only just checked the German broadcast, and although my German is really spotty it looked like that was the case. I'm gonna ask Jocario Zero for confirmation here.

I'm saying it feels decently likely, although there's a lot of different possible genres that could be included with CP11. Which makes it difficult to say how likely it is. But to put a rough %, I'll say around 40 - 50 % chance of it being a new genre.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
There's another FPS rep, the Doomslayer.
True, but there's the whole "Doomguy officially deconfirm" and stuff, I think.

So while it could be a bluff, it does lower his chance.

Would be cool with either tho.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Simple yet good question
A genre that's talked about a lot, but I'd love an FPS character (that isn't Duck Hunt (if you personally count him, that is))
Candidates in my eyes could be Doomguy, Chief, Tracer, Heavy, and Gordon Freeman.
I think these 5 have at least a few things going for them. Additionally, wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard and Valve got to dip in some of their content in the game in any capacity, either.

The Survival Horror and Visual Novel genres have characters we could get from said genres.
RE characters aren't 100% out of the running, and it's not like Pyramid Head isn't impossible, either.

Phoenix and Layton would be great VN characters, though Phoenix feels more likely to me.

Finally, while he's not too likely, Crazy Dave from PvZ could make for a fun Tower Defense rep.

Also, while it's already a repped genre, I actually would like to see a 2nd character from a racing game. Sure, Black Shadow could work. Or..
Mach Rider
Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In case anyone did not see my status update post...

I might as well leave this place since I am tired and sick of the Direct speculation.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
October is at least looking to be eventful. With Dread and the new Switch model releasing, and it of course being Spooky month.

Best thing to do is chill. Smash news has slowed to a crawl aside from spirit events, and it’s not gonna change without CP11 or a leaker talking about CP11(preferably with some damn credentials for once).

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

I might as well leave this place since I am tired and sick of the Direct speculation.
You shouldn't force yourself to speculate if you don't enjoy it anymore.

Yeah it sting, but your happiness come first, and talking about the same stuff over & over again no matter what can get quite tiring, so I don't blame ya.

Wherever you go, I hope you feel better down the line.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Nooo don't leave that's like running 25 miles of a marathon then not crossing the finish line. You can make it, man just one final stretch to go!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It would be kinda funny if we're actually going into October without knowing CP11's identity. A few weeks ago I said I'd give Willbuysmash4mw the reason about Nahobino being CP11 if we got to the point of waiting until October for the character reveal, because I was 100% sure it was going to happen this month.

I'm still kinda confident on the reveal taking place this month, but still... lmao

Sakurai wasn't joking when he said "it'll be a while before the last character announcement".
Sakurai never said that in japanese, as far as I know.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nah jk I am personally way late to the speculation game so I probably have way more energy than most at this point.
IjusthadabowlofMiniWheatssothat'sprobablynotexactlytruerightnowbutanywayweshouldfindsomethingfuntotalkaboutlikethatShovelKnightconversationwehadyesterdaywhichremindsmeIsawaPotemkindittoyesterdaythatwashilariousbecauseDisasterofPassionwasplayingandthentheyhadaconnectionerrorsotheywobbledaroundforasolid30secondstoseeiftheywerebothOKtocontinuebutthat'sofftopicksobacktoSmashuuuuuuuummittheyweretoaddaRobotMasterorMaverickstageandyoucouldpickyourfavoritewhichonewouldyoupick?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, I am calming down, I shall reconsider leaving.

But still, why couldn't a Direct happen and be announced next week, before the 30th when the TGS happens?
I don't believe there are any concrete reasons against it.

People generally seem to think that Nintendo is either showing Fall stuff on social media already or they won't do a Direct so close to TGS/PS State of Play.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
IjusthadabowlofMiniWheatssothat'sprobablynotexactlytruerightnowbutanywayweshouldfindsomethingfuntotalkaboutlikethatShovelKnightconversationwehadyesterdaywhichremindsmeIsawaPotemkindittoyesterdaythatwashilariousbecauseDisasterofPassionwasplayingandthentheyhadaconnectionerrorsotheywobbledaroundforasolid30secondstoseeiftheywerebothOKtocontinuebutthat'sofftopicksobacktoSmashuuuuuuuummittheyweretoaddaRobotMasterorMaverickstageandyoucouldpickyourfavoritewhichonewouldyoupick?
.... Why, I think I'd pick my favorite from 8...

"I'm Grenade Man!"

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't believe there are any concrete reasons against it.

People generally seem to think that Nintendo is either showing Fall stuff on social media already or they won't do a Direct so close to TGS/PS State of Play.
Makes sense, I see. I always thought preparing a Direct and announcing stuff on Twitter would be two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom