• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
God what a fascinating time capsule. People were so convinced a third party company could NEVER have more than one rep. Now here we sit with three characters each from Konami, Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix. Bandai Namco and Microsoft have two each.

Also what is with the sheer amount of open hostility? Lot of people in that old thread deliberately going into a support thread and saying "dear god not Ryu". A lot of hate directed towards him for apparently "stealing Mega Man's spotlight". It's like an earlier version of the scrimblo bimblo fans complaining about realistic characters. Smash and Nintendo fans never change I guess.
Well you gotta remember at this point Mega Man was technically dead, and Street Fighter, or heck the entire fighting genre, was starting a new renaissance. Also we didn't know if there was going to be a limit on third parties, so people very wary about their picks. I mean, Brawl only had two: Snake and Sonic, the former which we were all unsure if he would make it back at all (he didn't for 4) and the latter just bearly made it for Brawl.

On the side note, remember how we all innocently thought Fire Emblem would had to be extremly lucky if it got at least 3 characters max in? Oh, those were the days.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Today in 2005, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children went on sale! This a movie, not a game, that takes place two years after FFVII. The 3D movements of Cloud were overwhelmingly cool.

Today in 2005, "FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN" is on sale !! Video software that depicts two years after "FFVII", not a game. The three-dimensional movement of the clouds had overwhelming coolness.

Also, Sakurai retweeted the anniversary posts of Luigi's Mansion and For the Frog the Bell Tolls from last year.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pic of the Day:

Today in 2005, "FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN" is on sale !! Video software that depicts two years after "FFVII", not a game. The three-dimensional movement of the clouds had overwhelming coolness.
Man, this movie was terrible...

buuuuuuuuuuut the fight scenes were incredible for the time. Hell, even today, it's a marvel to behold. Don't know any kid growing up who didn't watch Cloud v. Sephiroth dozens of times.

Wish we got more canonical video game movies for other things, but I suppose the magnitude of FF7 was the only thing that made Advent Children possible.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Man, this movie was terrible...

buuuuuuuuuuut the fight scenes were incredible for the time. Hell, even today, it's a marvel to behold. Don't know any kid growing up who didn't watch Cloud v. Sephiroth dozens of times.

Wish we got more canonical video game movies for other things, but I suppose the magnitude of FF7 was the only thing that made Advent Children possible.
Yeah, I feel that video game movies are a predominantly untapped goldmine of cool stuff. The Sonic Movie definitely did not disappoint, imo, and I think that future video game adaptations should take notes on Sonic's "don't take ourselves too seriously" approach.

But that depends on the game's themes of course...

Phone jokes and Olive Garden product placement probably wouldn't fly in the upcoming Demon's Souls movie and HBO Bloodborne show :4pacman:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
How many feathers would this ruffle?
I think this looks fine. Meowth should be in smash. It would be a great adittion. Snivy is a bit of an odd choice but some gen 5 representation is some gen 5 representation. Shadow would be a fine choice. Crash for base would have been fun though I will admit that Ken was a cool echo addition so I will miss him. The two fighter passes are perfection.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Video game movies be like:

"So the not real world character(s) come over to the real world and then they get attacked by the U.S. military (because that's apparently our first response to aliens and not, ya'know, diplomacy) so the regular everyday middle class man has to save them, beat the bad guy who's trying to use the other world's logic to take over the real world, return the not real world character(s) back to their world, and go home in time for a sequel."

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, I feel that video game movies are a predominantly untapped goldmine of cool stuff. The Sonic Movie definitely did not disappoint, imo, and I think that future video game adaptations should take notes on Sonic's "don't take ourselves too seriously" approach.

But that depends on the game's themes of course...

Phone jokes and Olive Garden product placement probably wouldn't fly in the upcoming Demon's Souls movie and HBO Bloodborne show :4pacman:
Aw, I wanted them to make an "Olive's Garden of Madness" joke...

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Aw, I wanted them to make an "Olive's Garden of Madness" joke...
Lmao yes! Sadly "Consumed King's Olive Garden" is a Bandai Namco propery though :(

'aaugh, my dear little bottomless spaghetti bowl, where have you gone?'

On a different note

Who are you all's favorite Skullgirls characters?

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Fun fact: FFVII has the special exception of being the only franchise in Smash to feature content pulled directly from a film.
That reminds me, earlier I suggested that if the Master Chief were to join, he could include something from Red vs. Blue, considering it's essentially an (as close to as possible) official parallel reality at this point. Maybe even something as small as Blood Gulch Blues as a selectable music track.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That reminds me, earlier I suggested that if the Master Chief were to join, he could include something from Red vs. Blue, considering it's essentially an (as close to as possible) official parallel reality at this point. Maybe even something as small as Blood Gulch Blues as a selectable music track.
If it's still a fan work, then it absolutely won't be included. However, if there's a big Halo movie, something from that might be included.

There's also a decent chance that Advent Children stuff was included only because it's a continuation of Final Fantasy VII's plot. I mean, if we're including big non-game stuff then why isn't Pokémon: Indigo League's main theme present?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not that surprising really. We were COMPLETELY focused on Heihachi being the Tekken rep without considering its other two main characters.
Yeah, it makes sense to have low posts when you aren't the frontrunner in your own series. As series fans will congregate in the biggest thread for that series.

Is going to be me… finally… Hayabusa.
That's what I said!

How many feathers would this ruffle?
Eh. It's alright, but it's no this.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Lmao yes! Sadly "Consumed King's Olive Garden" is a Bandai Namco propery though :(

'aaugh, my dear little bottomless spaghetti bowl, where have you gone?'

On a different note

Who are you all's favorite Skullgirls characters?
Beowulf, Umbrella and Peacock in that order.

Yeah, it makes sense to have low posts when you aren't the frontrunner in your own series. As series fans will congregate in the biggest thread for that series.

That's what I said!

Eh. It's alright, but it's no this.
What?! No Mario. I can understand some exclusions like Captain Falcon and Ness but at least you should have kept Pikachu, Samus and Fox Mc Cloud. I am kidding.The additions are cool

Ivander

Smash Legend
Fun fact: FFVII has the special exception of being the only franchise in Smash to feature content pulled directly from a film.
It's true, but I think part of the reason the songs were chosen were because they were still remixes of songs from the video game, and besides Advent One Winged Angel being the most popular version at the time. After all, we didn't get any songs that originated in Advent Children, like Divinity, Beyond the Wasteland, etc. The costume, however, is 100% a creation from the film, despite it appearing in many video game spin-offs later, like Kingdom Hearts 2 and the Dissidia games.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Today in 2009, "Art Academy: First Semester" will be released on DSiWare in North America !! November of the same year in Japan. Mr. Vince who appears in the series appears as an assist figure. If you look closely and draw, you will surely be able to improve your painting ... ?? #Smash Bros SP

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Today in 2009, "Art Academy: First Semester" will be released on DSiWare in North America !! November of the same year in Japan. Mr. Vince who appears in the series appears as an assist figure. If you look closely and draw, you will surely be able to improve your painting ... ?? #Smash Bros SP
He was one of the most surprising additions to the assist trophy section. He also has a rather unique ability that really puts it apart from other assist trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom