• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That is a bit of an odd stipulation, isn't it? Still not sure if it's sheer coincidence or if it's an actual thing that Squenix wanted out of the DLC.
It may be odd but it does seem to be the case. In Smash 4 the Mii waves were like five or six each, and then the SE wave comes along and brings with it all of two characters.

Like I've said before, the real answer to "is Square stingy?" is yes, to a degree, just not to the extreme they were labelled as earlier.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Until they announce FP3. Four months between characters, CP12 released seven months after CP11, and it's a promotional Pokemon. Six more characters, twenty four months total, plus the seven between passes, 31 more months, so about two and a half more years - takes us to partway to 2024 when the Switch successor shows up and a new Smash is announced two years prematurely.
We are not escaping this newfound circle of hell, are we?

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Just to be clear, real leaks are almost never formatted like this. There's none of this guessing game bs, it's either a succinct and direct statement of what we're getting, or a strong implication of a specific character.
A that should be a clue in and of itself as to where I'm getting at.

In the immortal words of someone

"Take a **** or get off the pot."

I understand you're having a moment where you feel big brain, but no one wants to play 20 questions in regards to a leak that no one here even considers to be legit.
Well, to be fair, everyone here was complaining about things getting dull not too long ago so I felt like livening things up a bit.

I wanted to hold off a bit longer but with less than two weeks left to go I suppose I can loosen up a bit with causing any disruptions. Very well, if you insist that hard.
Nintendo wrote the Rapper Mario leak themselves.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Name one time Sakurai has outright lied to the degree he has here. One time where he has an entire segment put into a presentation specifically to lie to us.

View attachment 328328
Go ahead.
I might get roasted for this but...

Nintendo and Sakurai lied about the Ballot, or at the least, were being shady with Bayonetta and the Ballot, as it was impossible for Bayonetta to have been chosen Because of the Ballot, in spite of what we were led to believe back then

I also believe Sakurai said Mewtwo would be the only planned DLC, or something to that effect, in spite of the fact that just looking at the timeline of Lucas Trailer, and the completion of Lucas, Roy, and Ryu (especially Ryu since he's both Complicated character and 3rd party), Sakurai and the Team would have had to know more was on the way

I don't think Sakurai is lying per say, but what I could see happening is he could spin a story despite the origin contradicting it. as an example, he could say he's Changed his mind on Fighters after FP2 is Finished, when it's likely this Bonus Fighter was planned from the very beginning

I do believe Sakurai when he says there's nothing after FP2 though. I still could possibly see 1 Bonus Fighter as a tie in with FP2, and if this were to happen, it would have had to been a decision decided when FP2 was finalized.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
well i don't buy into propaganda. Especially when it has already been established they used the exact same trick earlier in very similar circumstances.
Sakurai continuously saying Fighters Pass 2 is the last DLC
to get more clients to buy the Fighters pass.

Yeah, we might have finally reach that point.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
The **** did I miss?
A new theory has been born, the madness theory. The madness theory says Sakurai and Nintendo are a bunch of liars who are misleading everyone to get huge sales on a third party pass. They might also be hiding a new switch pro and lots of games. They might also be even hiding aliens or something.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
A new theory has been born, the madness theory. The madness theory says Sakurai and Nintendo are a bunch of liars who are misleading everyone to get huge sales on a third party pass. They might also be hiding a new switch pro and lots of games. They might also be even hiding aliens or something.
Actually, Sakurai happens to be my uncle and I can confirm that this is all 10000000% true
Including the aliens part

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also got to ask, I'm sure in the next 2 weeks or so (Perhaps this week) we will get the Nintendo Direct

Unless they do a double up, this will be the last Tourney Week. So I got to ask is if the Tourney isn't a Swordfighter Tourney, are you guys gonna think the Fighter has a Sword?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Also got to ask, I'm sure in the next 2 weeks or so (Perhaps this week) we will get the Nintendo Direct

Unless they do a double up, this will be the last Tourney Week. So I got to ask is if the Tourney isn't a Swordfighter Tourney, are you guys gonna think the Fighter has a Sword?
Considering my MW wields 2 swords at once, that would be pretty great.

Also, didn't we agree that tourneys don't have any influence on DLC fighters earlier this month?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm skimming through the stuff I missed right now.
Y'all must be really bored if you humor anything that comes from 4chan. Even browsing that place is questionable.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
A that should be a clue in and of itself as to where I'm getting at.

Well, to be fair, everyone here was complaining about things getting dull not too long ago so I felt like livening things up a bit.

I wanted to hold off a bit longer but with less than two weeks left to go I suppose I can loosen up a bit with causing any disruptions. Very well, if you insist that hard.
I can imagine an angry intern or other employee, but Nintendo themselves, whom hate leaks and probably even fake leaks due to lies tricking their customers, definitely aren’t writing a leak, especially not with real info mixed in.

If the leak was real, it’d be more likely just your angry intern or friend of some inside dude who got some info but mixes in fake stuff in an attempt to throw off the scent, which I think happens sometimes (though a lot have no lies at all).

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'm skimming through the stuff I missed right now.
Y'all must be really bored if you humor anything that comes from 4chan. Even browsing that place is questionable.
The dude was dead serious, though. I dunno if he was meming or not, but he's somehow a big amalgamation of the vices of all the Reds & Blues combined.

Shroob

Sup?

Why would this be the last tourney week?

Surely they'll still host stuff after CP11 comes out, they won't drop the game entirely afterwards.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
So another Smash poll just concluded today.

1630303190103.png

It's pretty safe to say that these polls are prone to bandwagons, but Rayman, Crash, Waluigi and Sora always do well so I think those 4 might be some of the highest requested characters.

Shroob

Sup?

View attachment 328334

It's pretty safe to say that these polls are prone to bandwagons, but Rayman, Crash, Waluigi and Sora always do well so I think those 4 might be some of the highest requested characters.

I see the TF2 subreddit found another poll lol

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

View attachment 328334

It's also wise to keep in mind that the places where these polls are held always have different userbases, regardless of overall user population, so countless polls can have radically different results.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I see the TF2 subreddit found another poll lol
Yeah Heavy is definitely not legitimately up there with Crash, Sora and Waluigi which is why I said these polls are prone to bandwagons and should always be taken with a grain of salt. I just thought I would share it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

View attachment 328334

pheonix
issac
scorpian
bandanda

Also I wonder how many of those people actually want to play as Euden and don't just assume a dying game that's banned in Europe and about to close up shop is totally gonna be in because Nintendo shillpick.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
pheonix
issac
scorpian
bandanda

Also I wonder how many of those people actually want to play as Euden and don't just assume a dying game that's banned in Europe and about to close up shop is totally gonna be in because Nintendo shillpick.
Nobody wants Euden, in fact I don't even know who that is. It's just some bandwagon that got pushed or vote rigging.

Also yes, the 4 you mentioned are highly requested too, but the ones I mentioned always place highly fan polls at a more consistent rate than any of those do.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also yes, the 4 you mentioned are highly requested too, but the ones I mentioned always place highly fan polls at a more consistent rate than any of those do
My point was that the image maker kept making typo after typo after typo. Yet another reason to not trust just any random poll.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Nobody wants Euden, in fact I don't even know who that is. It's just some bandwagon that got pushed or vote rigging.
I'm pretty sure there's one person here who keeps mentioning that they want Euden.
Also, I always scratch my head whenever I hear people say that nobody wants a certain character. It's such a generalizing and decisive sounding statement that seems kind of presumptuous.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm pretty sure there's one person here who keeps mentioning that they want Euden.
Also, I always scratch my head whenever I hear people say that nobody wants a certain character. It's such a generalizing and decisive sounding statement that seems kind of presumptuous.
Anyone saying that just doesn't like the character and is trying to dismiss their fanbase. There may be some influence from the franchise's fanbase (just look at Heavy), but to say that absolutely no one wants a character is completely ridiculous. People want what they want, dismissing it because you personally don't care for it has not and will never be a valid argument.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This is why I don’t like “bandwagon” or “meme pick,” either. The people who argue them imply the obviously popular character has no genuine fans who would think they’d be cool in Smash, just because they don’t take it as seriously as some hardcore Smash fans…

Like, are there characters who are sometimes mentioned as nothing more than a joke? Yeah, like Bubsy, but some people would still like to see them for one reason or another or at least wouldn’t mind them, and these arguments are/were even used against actually highly popular characters like Steve and Waluigi for some poor, unproven reason…and heck, the ones like Bubsy usually aren’t even brought up much at all anyway, so it’s really a poor comparison tbh ._.

I guess there’s Magnemite in Japan, but idk, even those voting it would probably actually like it even if they don’t care that much…and people actually did and still do care for characters like Waluigi and Steve, no need to lowball them…

edit: not to mention, we can’t read people’s minds, so this is a bad argument anyway since it relies entirely on assumptions based on what seems to be a minority whom may actually like the characters anyway. I know some people joke about characters they like due to not expecting them or anything, because they don’t take it seriously…

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Woooaaahhhh, what a twist. M. Night Shyamalan working at the marketing department over there now?

View attachment 328334

Yeah, any info on the sample size here?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Looks kinda like the Test Your Might minigame in MK.
Which was in Street Fighter 1 first.

1630305800668.png

Actually, Sakurai happens to be my uncle and I can confirm that this is all 10000000% true
Including the aliens part
My uncle, who works at Nintendo, says he uses Mop & Glo on the floors.

Considering my MW wields 2 swords at once, that would be pretty great.
A Vyse man, eh? You have good taste.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Aight, I finished going through the ****show that was the last few pages. There's a comparison I want to make but I don't want to get political so I won't make it.
Anyway, since we apparently have nothing better to talk about anymore... List your most wanted characters, I guess? I know it's a cliche subject, but it's better than discussing 4chan leaks.

Shroob

Sup?
Aight, I finished going through the ****show that was the last few pages. There's a comparison I want to make but I don't want to get political so I won't make it.
Anyway, since we apparently have nothing better to talk about anymore... List your most wanted characters, I guess? I know it's a cliche subject, but it's better than discussing 4chan leaks.
I mean, we were all thinking it anyway.

I guess Crash, Phoenix Wright, or Ammy at this point.

Not that I expect any to get in per say.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
I can imagine an angry intern or other employee, but Nintendo themselves, whom hate leaks and probably even fake leaks due to lies tricking their customers, definitely aren’t writing a leak, especially not with real info mixed in.

If the leak was real, it’d be more likely just your angry intern or friend of some inside dude who got some info but mixes in fake stuff in an attempt to throw off the scent, which I think happens sometimes (though a lot have no lies at all).
You're not looking at it from the right angle. Suppose that CP11 was a character that was completely out of left field and would drive the internet crazy. You really want to keep that character under wraps, but there's no way to absolutely guarantee the character won't leak one way or another. What else can you do to protect this information?

One way you can add another layer of defense to this is info to deliberately mislead the speculators with a fake "leak" that still has a hint of credibility. So in this case:
  • Make the descriptions of CP9 and CP10 somewhat vague, but still accurate enough to match their reveal.
  • Lie about CP11 by attributing false characteristic to it, but also include some true but relatively inconsequential information (i.e., the Mii costumes).
  • Write whatever false information you want after the information you want to protect (CP11), but keep it consistent with the rest of the leak.
The speculators and the investigators looking for any and all clues they can find latch onto the credible info (the vague CP9 and CP10 hints and the Mii costumes), and then become primed to focus the rest of their energy around the false information down the pipeline. And the real authentic info becomes better protected because there's less people trying to look for it.

This is a technique known as "intelligence poisoning" and it's seen not just in business but also politics and military strategy as well. It's not so much a fake leak as much as it is a bait leak. The only reason most speculators brush this one aside is because Sakurai let the horse wander out of the barn when he said that there won't be any more fighters after CP11, which I'm guessing Nintendo's internal mini-CIA probably wasn't expecting. Had he not mentioned that you'd have a lot more people thinking the Rapper Mario leak was credible, rather than calling it out for the bogus that it is.

PS: A few other things:
  • As N3ON has mentioned, leaks, whether real or fake, generally don't make a guessing game out of things but instead just deliver the information upfront. If Nintendo engineered this bait leak, however, this would be logical, as they would ultimately still want to keep the identities of the other fighters under wraps.
  • The leak mentions making Waluigi a playable fighter would be "Sakurai breaking his own rules", yet it asserts this as public knowledge, when in fact Sakurai has never publically stated the existence of any such rule. But if Sakurai does in fact have such a rule, then it is further evidence of an internal asset at Nintendo fabricating a false leak.
  • While final character reveals have never been major, they have always been unusual and unexpected.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You're not looking at it from the right angle. Suppose that CP11 was a character that was completely out of left field and would drive the internet crazy. You really want to keep that character under wraps, but there's no way to absolutely guarantee the character won't leak one way or another. What else can you do to protect this information?

One way you can add another layer of defense to this is info to deliberately mislead the speculators with a fake "leak" that still has a hint of credibility. So in this case:
  • Make the descriptions of CP9 and CP10 somewhat vague, but still accurate enough to match their reveal.
  • Lie about CP11 by attributing false characteristic to it, but also include some true but relatively inconsequential information (i.e., the Mii costumes).
  • Write whatever false information you want after the information you want to protect (CP11), but keep it consistent with the rest of the leak.
The speculators and the investigators looking for any and all clues they can find latch onto the credible info (the vague CP9 and CP10 hints and the Mii costumes), and then become primed to focus the rest of their energy around the false information down the pipeline. And the real authentic info becomes better protected because there's less people trying to look for it.

This is a technique known as "intelligence poisoning" and it's seen not just in business but also politics and military strategy as well. It's not so much a fake leak as much as it is a bait leak. The only reason most speculators brush this one aside is because Sakurai let the horse wander out of the barn when he said that there won't be any more fighters after CP11, which I'm guessing Nintendo's internal mini-CIA probably wasn't expecting. Had he not mentioned that you'd have a lot more people thinking the Rapper Mario leak was credible, rather than calling it out for the bogus that it is.
Yes, I've heard of that technique, but I think the one we should be paying more attention to is one called "Occam's razor."

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

View attachment 328334

The fact that there's no numbers associated in this poll is suspect enough. Sample size matters a lot.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Reimu Hakurei, Bandana Dee, and a Rhythm Heaven character (probably Tibby, since he's the focus of RH's only story mode and Karate Joe posting honestly kinda annoys me for personal reasons, lol).

I want Reimu super bad because the series has been around since the 90s (it's about as old as Pokemon), the stage would be pretty easy (Hakurei Shrine), plenty of characters to make into Spirits or background cameos, Touhou music is a jam, the creator would like to see his stuff in Smash, and I feel like it'd be a super fitting ending to have the last DLC character in this game that positions itself as the ultimate battle between good and evil and light vs. dark and everything be a character that uses an item called a Yin-Yang Orb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom