• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm extremely confident that we'll either walk out of September knowing who CP11 is and be done with this whole mess, or at the very least be given a date for a final presentation ala Smash 4.

I don't see Nintendo dropping a Direct and just, not having any Smash news, especially considering that it'll be their last Direct until 2022, and by then, the DLC will be long, long over with. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll announce who CP11 is during the Direct and instead do the aforementioned "Tune in on X day for a Mr.Sakurai Presents!", but I don't except the Direct to have literally nothing on Smash, not nearly 80 days after E3 and Kazuya

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm extremely confident that we'll either walk out of September knowing who CP11 is and be done with this whole mess, or at the very least be given a date for a final presentation ala Smash 4.

I don't see Nintendo dropping a Direct and just, not having any Smash news, especially considering that it'll be their last Direct until 2022, and by then, the DLC will be long, long over with. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll announce who CP11 is during the Direct and instead do the aforementioned "Tune in on X day for a Mr.Sakurai Presents!", but I don't except the Direct to have literally nothing on Smash, not nearly 80 days after E3 and Kazuya
Shroob out here being so reasonable they silence the thread for nearly forty minutes.

Shroob

Sup?

As for when the Direct will air, I have no clue.

Next week seems not to be a week that anyone's banking on, yet it's not unheard of to get a September Direct the 1st week of September, and, as far as we know, they have nothing at all planned for next week, like, nothing. It's effectively a dead week as far as announcements from Nintendo goes.

The following week has WarioWare come out, so that could work as promotion in the 11th hour.

After that, as far as I know, we don't really know what else September holds.

Shroob out here being so reasonable they silence the thread for nearly forty minutes.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
One missed opportunity I think with Ultimate is the lack of Indie Fighters. We have Steve but him being owned by Microsoft makes him way less indie.

Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Undertale all clearly have staying power as they all have new installments or are going to get some soon. Its a shame they only got side content.

Other series like Hollow Knight, Cave Story, Touhou, etc. seem to be well liked choices and their owners likely aren’t nearly as big a task to deal with like some of the bigger companies are.

Its too late now, but I hope next Smash doesn’t sideline Indies when the time comes. I would kill for Sans or The Knight to be proper fighters.

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
A fair point, but I doubt the crew would put a being identical looking to Kraid in, shove him in trailers, and then reveal in game that it isn’t actually him. I guess it could also be something like his offspring but Idk.

Phantoon was in Other M even after Mother Brain was killed again. So I’m not entirely sure how that works. Other M isn’t canon anymore though so if this is the case it would mean they retconned a retcon, which isn’t impossible but I think its funny.

I just want Ridley to be the Main Villain in one game. Hes got the history with Samus and more appearances than any other villain. I just want him to get a moment as the proper Final Boss. Not this game though, since the Chozo general is taking over as lead villain and Kraid is our current underling (though he looks to be more a prisoner). I’m fine with Ridley sitting this one out.
What I said in the other comment is taken by the Japanese manual of Super Metroid (page 38): https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/ja/pdf/CLV-P-VAAHJ.pdf
Phantoon was in Other M because of MB. She's basically a replication of Mother Brain, so the Phantoon you see in the optional battle of the game is probably the manifestation of MB's consciousness, just like the Phantoon in Super Metroid was the manifestation of Mother Brain's (the original from Zero Mission I think) consciousness.

And no, sorry but Other M is canon

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
At this point, I feel like they HAVE to mention Smash in some capacity, even if it's just "BTW, we're still working on Fighter 11, please be patient".
They could do that.

Though if they really say nothing, IMHO the chances of a TGA reveal will go up just a tad bit.

Mid October and early November, perhaps, too.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
At this point, I feel like they HAVE to mention Smash in some capacity, even if it's just "BTW, we're still working on Fighter 11, please be patient".
IF there is a reveal next month I think it would be more in the form of Terry, where it's just a CGI trailer that doesn't reveal much gameplay, and the release would still be November/December.

Shroob

Sup?
IF there is a reveal next month I think it would be more in the form of Terry, where it's just a CGI trailer that doesn't reveal much gameplay, and the release would still be November/December.
Why soo late?

Ever since Byleth, we've been getting characters like, 2 weeks after they were revealed at most.

I'm really not understanding this fascination with needlessly dragging things out.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Why soo late?

Ever since Byleth, we've been getting characters like, 2 weeks after they were revealed at most.

I'm really not understanding this fascination with needlessly dragging things out.
I don't either. I highly doubt they are dragging things out on purpose, but I think the December deadline makes it obvious that we're gonna get it either October or November and not September. Because if it was in September they could have just revealed it at E3 like they did with Banjo.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't either. I highly doubt they are dragging things out on purpose, otherwise we would have gotten 2 reveals at E3. But I think the December deadline makes it obvious that we're gonna get it either October or November and not September. Because if it was in September they could have just revealed it at E3.
Or, they wanted to save it for the last Direct of the year to get Smash fans to tune in and get free clicks. It's no surprise that our community goes ****ing nuts for news, and if there's even a hint of a new character to be revealed, we'll go in flocks to a presentation.

September Direct's the last Direct of the year, they 100% want to milk Smash for all its worth before they finish it off and don't have it next year.

And again, the December date is a placeholder, nothing more.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All you have to do is look at the typical span between releases this pass and align it with the current schedule to get a solid rough idea of when we should be getting the final character. And it's certainly not six months after the previous one.

I know that's embracing a pattern, but it holds more weight than the alternatives I'm seeing.

I don't either. I highly doubt they are dragging things out on purpose, otherwise we would have gotten 2 reveals at E3. But I think the December deadline makes it obvious that we're gonna get it either October or November and not September. Because if it was in September they could have just revealed it at E3 like they did with Banjo.
In that situation they had the luxury of being able to reveal two characters at E3 and still have one to reveal at the September Direct. This time they don't. The priority is probably to make sure each Direct/E3 has a reveal until they run out of characters, to maximize viewership.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
All you have to do is look at the typical span between releases this pass and align it with the current schedule to get a solid rough idea of when we should be getting the final character. And it's certainly not six months after the previous one.

I know that's embracing a pattern, but it holds more weight than the alternatives I'm seeing.

In that situation they had the luxury of being able to reveal two characters at E3 and still have one to reveal at the September Direct. This time they don't. The priority is probably to make sure each Direct/E3 has a reveal until they run out of characters, to maximize viewership.
Still though, it's E3. They could have revealed the last 2 characters when the most people would be watching instead of dragging it out and waiting to reveal it in a smaller direct.

I think it's more likely that the reveal just wasn't ready, I see no benefit in dragging it out with all of the delays we've gotten, it seems like it would just make people more upset.

Shroob

Sup?
Still though, it's E3. They could have revealed the last 2 characters when the most people would be watching instead of dragging it out and waiting to reveal it in a smaller direct.

I think it's more likely that the reveal just wasn't ready, I see no benefit in dragging it out with all of the delays we've gotten, it seems like it would just make people more upset.
Just because it's E3 doesn't mean there has to be 2 reveals ya know.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Just because it's E3 doesn't mean there has to be 2 reveals ya know.
I never said there had to be, I just said I don't see the reason to drag it out when you have a big event that you can reveal them both at. The levels of hype would undeniably be way higher if they just revealed them both at E3.

Shroob

Sup?
I never said there had to be, I just said I don't see the reason to drag it out when you have a big event that you can reveal them both at. The levels of hype would undeniably be way higher if they just revealed them both at E3.
Because without Smash news, they lose a large amount of people tuning into the Direct.

I know for certain that once Smash is done, I probably won't be tuning into Nintendo Directs anymore, it's literally the only reason I do.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

We already were watching E3. Leaving open the mere option of something in September is enough for that Direct to get our attention. The goal isn’t to get us hyped, the characters already do that, the goal is to get our eyes on everything else Nintendo is making.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

They could. But having one Smash reveal at E3 and one Smash reveal at the September Direct assures the Smash crowd, a very large and... er... attentive bunch, tune into to both shows. Whereas having all characters revealed in June would decrease future viewership.

You're not losing any viewers by having only one reveal at E3, but you're gaining viewers for having one at each.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Because without Smash news, they lose a large amount of people tuning into the Direct.

I know for certain that once Smash is done, I probably won't be tuning into Nintendo Directs anymore, it's literally the only reason I do.

They still have other reveals though, it's a Nintendo direct not a Smash direct, and they almost never tell you that Smash is gonna be in a direct anyway. I'm sure they've gone through plenty without Smash. And I doubt views are a huge concern for them, they would have had way more views for both fighters at E3.

I don't understand why you arguing about people having a 'fascination for dragging things out" but saying for certain that Nintendo is intentionally delaying the last reveal in a fighter pass which has had multiple delays already, I just don't get it. Name me one time a reveal has been intentionally delayed.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
They still have other reveals though, it's a Nintendo direct not a Smash direct, and they almost never tell you that Smash is gonna be in a direct anyway. I'm sure they've gone through plenty without Smash. And I doubt views are a huge concern for them, they would have had way more views for both fighters at E3.

I don't understand why you arguing about people having a 'facinsnation for dragging things out" but saying for certain that Nintendo is intentionally delaying the last reveal in a fighter pass which has had multiple delays already, I just don't get it.
Yes, and besides BotW2, what could Nintendo show off this year that'd generate a huge amount of buzz that causes literally every news website to cover it?

That's right, Smash.

You're not looking at this from a business perspective. Nintendo knows exactly what they're doing. They gain literally nothing by dropping both reveals at E3, but because of that, now they have us by the throat and effectively force this entire community to tune into the September Direct. They have us whipped and they know it.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Yes, and besides BotW2, what could Nintendo show off this year that'd generate a huge amount of buzz that causes literally every news website to cover it?

That's right, Smash.

You're not looking at this from a business perspective. Nintendo knows exactly what they're doing. They gain literally nothing by dropping both reveals at E3, but because of that, now they have us by the throat and effectively force this entire community to tune into the September Direct. They have us whipped and they know it.

More people would have covered it at E3. The level of interest for a direct that isn't attached to a huge gaming event is significantly lower. Nintendo has turned to E3 for huge reveals for a long time now. People go into it expecting to be hyped, so I don't understand why Nintendo would put off a reveal that could have happened when interest was at an all time high.

Maybe Nintendo's view on this will change since E3 was absolute garbage this year, but for now it's pretty clear that they turn to E3 for all the big reveals.

Shroob

Sup?
More people would have covered it at E3. The level of interest for a direct that isn't attached to a huge gaming event is significantly lower. Nintendo has turned to E3 for huge reveals for a long time now. People go into it expecting to be hyped, so I don't understand why Nintendo would put off a reveal that could have happened when interest was at an all time high.

Maybe Nintendo's view on this will change since E3 was absolute garbage this year, but for now it's pretty clear that they turn to E3 for all the big reveals.
That's literally not the point.

The point is to force people like us to tune into everything they do in the hopes of a glimpse of info.

Again, you're not looking at it from the correct angle. Take hype out of the equation and think more like a business who knows exactly how to manhandle their consumers. Dropping both at E3 means you have less of a turnout for your final Direct of the year. Keeping 1 locked away forces those whipped individuals to HAVE to tune in because they're craving info.

Nintendo's our drug dealer, they know how to manipulate us to get us to do what they want. They know exactly how to drip feed us hype while keeping us coming back for more.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yes, there will be other reveals, and yes they don't need Smash, and yes, people will continue to tune into Directs next year when DLC is done.

But look at Nintendo's presentations from the past couple years. Most of them start with Smash. They kick off the presentation with DLC to a game that's one, two, three years old. That's their bookend. Even the VGAs opened with Smash. And I think they have the analytics to justify why they do it that way. You start with a bang, and Smash brings those numbers.

I don't understand why you arguing about people having a 'fascination for dragging things out" but saying for certain that Nintendo is intentionally delaying the last reveal in a fighter pass which has had multiple delays already, I just don't get it. Name me one time a reveal has been intentionally delayed.
Every single time there's a Smash game reveals are intentionally delayed from between the time the game is revealed to when the game is released to keep the hype going. They could've revealed all the base game characters in March along with Inkling. Or at E3. They could've told us exactly who was in the first pass the moment they announced it.

That's how fighting game promotion works.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

That's right, Smash.

Business perspective is right indeed!
If Ultimate being on the list of the 50 best selling games of all time doesn’t tell you that idk what will.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo shuts down another fan event.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Nintendo hates mods/romhacks

More at 11

Now back to you, Dianne.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Oh boy, another excuse to turn Nintendo into villains...

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Clearly, this one.

I mean there's a big difference between the EMMIs, which were never meant to be the main villains of Dread, and Nahobino, which is literally the protagonist of his game, so it's not like a secret character is going to pop up out of nowhere and take his role.

And it's probably the best boss fight in the 2D series. Well, to be fair, Samus Returns easily has some of the best 2D bosses, not just the final boss.
The real problem with wanting a character from a game that’s not out yet is that nobody knows the game’s quality. It could be a technical disaster like Cyberpunk 2077, an outright bad game like Dead Rising 4 or just mediocre/forgettable.

Then that character is in Smash over someone from a game people actually love, maybe even over a character from the same franchise like Demi-Fiend.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Definitely disappointing.
I see that they’re in the legal right to do so, bu I feel like they can be a bit too conservative sometimes.

I will not go further into this so that I don’t start a mass argument of some sort because I love y’all and I’m too hot rn IRL to even do so 😬😬

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I don't think Nintendo has ever had a general Nintendo Direct during Smash Ultimate's lifecycle that had no mention of Smash. Even the one in February 2019 went out of its way to give a release window for Joker and reveal that the update would have more to offer outside of his DLC.
That's not going to change until there's no more Smash to milk. Which is, of course, quite soon.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

I get wanting to protect what you own, but goddamn is this really necessary?

People pour their blood, sweat, and tears into this event and it gets shut down for no good reason. You know what would really be good for Nintendos image? Dropping a tweet in support of Ripdtide, helping the community they created.

They only do this because PM pulls in people who could be playing Ultimate, but that fraction of people is likely so inconsequential that it might actually hurt Nintendo more to do this. As they are made out as the ███ they act like.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It is a telling contrast in company philosophies towards fan games/mods to see Nintendo shutting this down just days after the array of titles in the Sonic Amateur Games Expo. Whether Nintendo is right in doing the sort of thing is a matter of opinion, but I do find myself lamenting that the kind of creativity that's led to an explosion of ideas in something like Sonic Robo Blast 2 is far less likely to gain consistent momentum with Nintendo franchises because of stuff like this.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
It is a telling contrast in company philosophies towards fan games/mods to see Nintendo shutting this down just days after the array of titles in the Sonic Amateur Games Expo. Whether Nintendo is right in doing the sort of thing is a matter of opinion, but I do find myself lamenting that the kind of creativity that's led to an explosion of ideas in something like Sonic Robo Blast 2 is far less likely to gain consistent momentum with Nintendo franchises because of stuff like this.
Sega does what Nintendon't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom