• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
View attachment 325260

If that was the cause of the videos being privated, there would be more videos than just this one single Direct that were suddenly made private. So unless Google is real choosy about what pre-2020 videos they want to make private, this doesn't explain it as well as you'd think.
Oh ****, here comes Baron Van Zieks

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Would a character like Tetris or Lip require a whole stage rework to implement some of their moveset?
I'm pretty sure that Nintendo and Sakurai would never do Minecraft Steve's retooling of stages ever again. They'll just make a moveset that doesn't require that.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I find it weird that some people are trying to rationalize the comment from Sakurai on how the next character will take a while to release as meaning that it will be as complex as Steve is.

Keep in mind that Steve still released "just" 3 months and a half after Min Min. Considering that Kazuya was released around the same timeframe as she was I don't think that it's realistic to expect a longer wait than that.
And this without even taking into consideration that is extremely hard to come up with a realistic character choice that could not only require as much effort to implement as Steve did AND also be worth all that extra work.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I think
Rachel Alucard- Blazblue
Nemesis- Resident Evil
King Boo
Mettaton- Undertale
If ghost turned robot is counted as spooky
Oh God no, Rachel would be a horrible pick for Smash. Her distortion drive cannot be translated to a platform fighter.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Latest Nintendo financials were released.

Nothing too surprising, new entries being Miitopia and Mario Golf: Super Rush with over 1m and New Pokemon Snap with over 2m.

Switch at 89m. Ring Fit Adventure replaced New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe as tenth best selling title.
Real talk, I definitely think RFA will get something more next game. Maybe not even a character per se, but at least a stage or an Assist.

That game sold way too well for Nintendo to keep it stuck as Spirits/Trophies/whatever Smash 6 uses.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Nothing too surprising, new entries being Miitopia and Mario Golf: Super Rush with over 1m and New Pokemon Snap with over 2m.

Switch at 89m. Ring Fit Adventure replaced New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe as tenth best selling title.
24.77 million copies of Ultimate sold. It basically means my prediction of 25 million for lifetime sales was pretty much spot on

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
so i am just looking for a list to do my own research. i should have made it clear.
Nah, I was just making a joke, you don't need to clarify anything, you're good. It's a bit difficult to list everything though, I could confidently list 4 or 5 big ones and almost certainly not get a quarter of the full scope of current speculation.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What do you guys really think Sakurai meant when he said the final fight would "Take a while"?
To me it means that instead of the usual gap between reveals this one will be a longer time span.... Going all the way back to Plant in fp1 there anywhere from 2 to 4 months in between reveals with the gap between fp1 and 2 being around 6 months.

So I would say given Kazuya was released end of June normal window would be September/October so a little while longer than that puts it in the November range imo.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
What do you guys really think Sakurai meant when he said the final fight would "Take a while"?
Probably that it'll take some time for them to pick out the new fighter and how they'll implement said new fighter into the game, and not THIS:
That he has to wait for Nintendo to officially reveal the new Fire Emblem

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
would you please list me all the most popular and likely companies and characters in smash speculation?

i am just looking for a list to do my own research.
Uh... that would take a really long time, especialy the "popular" part, because we'd have to take into account what's popular in different parts of the fanbase. For example, certain characters only sow up in the western side of the fandom, others only show up in Japan, but they're really popular in these places.

There's also a big difference between popular and likely.

Also why'd you quote my sig for this, of all things lol

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I could potentially see us actually waiting until December at the VGA basically hitting the deadline of December 31st, 2021. Poetic being Joker was our first DLC fighter in Pass 1 and then ending with the final DLC fighter in Pass 2.

Especially if the character turns out to be big or no one actually expects.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And no tooth fairy, and no easter bunny, and no queen of England.

...I couldn't resist, okay?
Excuse me I can’t believe you forgot “no war in Ba Sing Se” :secretkpop:

Splatoon 2 stays winning baby
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura BOI
P O G

SKX31

Smash Master

While the numbers may be down, Nintendo probably expected this and aren't going to be panicing. After all, AC NH - one of the big system sellers - was released last year. The Switch is at least stable, which is nice to see - and while it's creeping closer to its 5th anniversary next year it still has a lot of legs left. We'll have to see what happens with BotW2, MP4, Splatoon 3 and other key titles.

For those interested, the regional breakdown - comparing the number of Switches sold Q2 2021 with Q2 2020:

• Japan: 1,16 million Q2 2021 (1,15 million Q2 2020)
  • Americas: 1,59 million Q2 2021 (1,99 million Q2 2020)
  • Europe: 1,08 million Q2 2021 (1,61 million Q2 2020)
  • Other regions: 0,62 million Q2 2021 (0,92 million Q2 2020)

Their primary concern - that Nintendo's dependent on their consoles and games doing well - is going to persist for a while, especially since they've only just recently started dipping their toes further into non-video game stuff and the Mario movie* is not coming out until next year.

*(Which itself will be a major test whether or not Nintendo-produced movies can be viable.)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
December would rival the time between fighter passes... Which is absolutely possible and even plausible seeing as how covid is on the rise again :/

Completely unrelated but I want Battle of Olympus on nes released in the next online batch. Not only is it one of my favorites of all time but it to me was way better than Zelda 2 and the OST is just beautiful!

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Doubt we’re waiting till December for 1 character reveal. It’s most likely a September reveal. I just hope they leave the announcement till last though rather than first this time. If they brush it out the way it kind of gives that “we have more important things to show” vibe which shouldn’t be the case when it comes to the last fighter in smash bros ultimate.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Doubt we’re waiting till December for 1 character reveal. It’s most likely a September reveal. I just hope they leave the announcement till last though rather than first this time. If they brush it out the way it kind of gives that “we have more important things to show” vibe which shouldn’t be the case when it comes to the last fighter in smash bros ultimate.
Pull a Sm4sh Cloud trailer and have Takahashi say "We have one more announcement. I sense a new trailer approaching..."

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Pull a Sm4sh Cloud trailer and have Takahashi say "We have one more announcement. I sense a new trailer approaching..."
best way to do things but I’d rather it not be a cloud trailer situation because cloud never had a trailer. Imagine them coming on screen, saying there’s 1 more Announcement and then showing the character without no trailer. It would feel underwhelming, especially since it’s the last character

Theguy123

Smash Lord
But what about the "It'll take a while" statement? :crying:
considering the September direct is gonna be 3 months after sakurai said it will take awhile, the statement means nothing and 3 months is awhile.

that and wether or not you believe Samus Hunter, she’s doubling down on the last character being in September.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
best way to do things but I’d rather it not be a cloud trailer situation because cloud never had a trailer. Imagine them coming on screen, saying there’s 1 more Announcement and then showing the character without no trailer. It would feel underwhelming, especially since it’s the last character
...That's not true
It's not a cinematic trailer, but it's a trailer.
I'm sure there's some miscommunication going on here, but I'll just say that all of the DLC characters in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U had trailers that exclusively use in-game footage (Corrin's trailer does have a cinematic, but it was ripped from their game). Since this hasn't been the case for any of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's DLC characters, I don't see a reason to worry about this being a thing for the final fighter.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Koei-Tecmo, what are everyone’s thoughts on the eligibility of a Dynasty Warriors character? I feel Lu Bu is equally as deserving as Ryu Hyabusa with how huge the Warriors games have become but he might be disqualified due to being based on a real person.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of Koei-Tecmo, what are everyone’s thoughts on the eligibility of a Dynasty Warriors character? I feel Lu Bu is equally as deserving as Ryu Hyabusa with how huge the Warriors games have become but he might be disqualified due to being based on a real person.
So was Dracula, such is the joy of public domain, meaning no royalties or anything have to be paid, biggest issue imo is how you'd make a character who's specifically great at crowd control in Smash and knowing Sakurai, it wouldn't be too hard

osby

Smash Obsessed
So was Dracula, such is the joy of public domain, meaning no royalties or anything have to be paid, biggest issue imo is how you'd make a character who's specifically great at crowd control in Smash and knowing Sakurai, it wouldn't be too hard
A crowd character would be a fighter balanced with mainly free-for-alls in mind, imo.

So, a lot of long-reaching swipes and strong finishers but with frame data that would fell apart against Fox in Final Destination, no items, 1v1.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It really depends on who the final character is. If it’s someone that’ll excite people then I could see it being last, but if it’s not then I can see it being first & then a big game announcement is last.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I saw someone say Sakurai didn’t actually say “a while” in Japanese, but I don’t speak the language so not sure if that’s true or not…

Regardless, imo why he said that could’ve been because it’s the last fighter and we still need to wait a bit for it. It could be that they suddenly jumped to nearly half a year in waiting time, but I don’t see why…

(I know Min Min was nearly half a year as well, but to be fair at least the character being from ARMS and FP2 itself were revealed before then)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom