• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Mecha characters are all about sciencr and that sucks when the opposite is supernatural which is so much more varied, like for example...
View attachment 324178
Just beat this game and damn I wish it didn't flop, best hopes for this is a Spirit event with an invisible character who tosses items at you
If it weren't for the potential spoilers, I'd love to get Sissel into Smash as a playable character(which IS possible). Spirits may also contain spoilers though, lol.

They really need to port this game to the Switch and properly advertise it. Or make a sequel. Or both. It worked for TWEWY. >_>

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
It also has a screaming cootie catcher diamond that fires lasers, though to be fair, I have no idea what that's supposed to be.
unless you're talking about Yggdrasil from G-Reco I have no idea what this is referring to in Gundam

you mean the Angel Halo from Victory?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If it weren't for the potential spoilers, I'd love to get Sissel into Smash as a playable character(which IS possible). Spirits may also contain spoilers though, lol.

They really need to port this game to the Switch and properly advertise it. Or make a sequel. Or both. It worked for TWEWY. >_>
Spoilers are so ****ing rampant that ****ing googling this gave me spoilers. I beat it like 10 minutes before I decided to grab a pic but damn, how ****ed for newcomers

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I think that's what it was yeah. All I saw was a clip with no context.
Angel Halo was psycommu ship created by the Jovians to get revenge on the Earth Sphere by combining a Alien pathogen and power of newtypes to devolve all earthnoids minds back to the brains of a newborn.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
@Theguy123 So using this infamous chart
I really wish this chart would die. It got spread all over the place at the time as an actual MW poll, to the point where it can be the top search now. However, just taking twitter responses at the time of the DLC being announce doesn't equal requests. It's just, discussion. The count could have picked up posts against a character's inclusion, just as much as posts wanting them.

None of the sample size participated in any kind of poll, or knew they were being sampled for anything. That's before getting into legit requests that are known to be deconfirmed or unlikely, like Assist Trophies or Miis, or like Goku. It's also a small sample size as the creator of the post admitted.

Creating the image was fine and discussion size is a measurement in something, but using it as a reliable most wanted chart is just not right. And even when people spread it around knowing that assumption, I still don't like seeing it spread around because it always gets taken as face value. There are other polls conducted through twitter that are actual polls and have a better sample size than this. They're still not perfect as you'll get gaming communities brigade the poll to make their pick seem like its proportionally more popular than it is. But they're still better than counting posts.

I like going off the ballot exit poll, because that's a good sample size and it's closer to the actual data Nintendo might be using to judge what the fans most want to see. But I can recognise it's years old and many people have moved on to potentially bigger choices. As for who's actually the most popular in 2021, it's bound to be a lot of third parties now that the sky's the limit. Ironically, it's probably not too far off from that image now, and many of these are Miis.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I made a stage concept for Planet Wisp:
View attachment 324182
Planet Wisp

Game of Origin:
Sonic Colors (2010)

Layout: Like Green Hill Zone, this stage is a bowl-like shape, but it’s been split in half. There are two platforms above either half that float up and down in opposite directions.

Gimmicks and Hazards: Wisps will appear and assist whichever fighter frees them by pressing B in place of a neutral special (even when you’re in freefall). Two types of Wisps appear:
  • Spikes: The fighter turns into a spike ball that can climb up the slopes and damage opponents just by touching them (10%, OK knockback); they usually appear in the middle of the stage
  • Rocket: The fighter turns into a rocket and flies high into the sky, and usually appear on the upper left and right if the stage; save this for when you’ve been launched
Music: All Sonic series music, along with the following Colors tracks:
  1. Tropical Resort
  2. Planet Wisp
Battlefield/Ω Form: The Ω form is based on the red factory bits; the Battlefield platforms are based on the platforms that appear on the stage
Honestly, we should've gotten this in the Wii U version instead of Windy Hill.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Step 1: "Isn't it weird how we haven't gotten a Capcom rep in either Pass? They're way overdue."
Step 2: "Wow, DMC, Resident Evil, and Monster Hunter are all practically deconfirmed! Who else would Capcom even choose?"
Step 3: "We should have a legit mech character on the roster by now."

It's all going according to plan...

tenor.gif

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Step 1: "Isn't it weird how we haven't gotten a Capcom rep in either Pass? They're way overdue."
Step 2: "Wow, DMC, Resident Evil, and Monster Hunter are all practically deconfirmed! Who else would Capcom even choose?"

View attachment 324185
I mean I guess Phoenix can use a mech

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

View attachment 324185
Baby Head from Captain Commando would be a weird choice, but we do seem overdue for a beat-em-up character.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

View attachment 324185
challenger pack 11 is MOTHER****ING JIN SAOTOME
068e3dc89f62ed2dbae716d8710895ac.gif

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Y'know if Daemon X Machina or Xenoblade X didn't have their chances for Ultimate shot up, we might have had a mecha in Smash by now. Dunno how a massive thing like that would work in the context of Smash though, which is probably partially why that concept has never been considered.
Bowser Jr. Is our first Mecha rep. For our second one, I think Eggman is next in line.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I mean...I guess? The Koopa Clown Car, Egg Mobile, and Egg Walker are a pretty far cry from what people were originally talking about when talking about mechas though.
Ah I see now. I thought Mechs and Mecha we're the same thing

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They are.
It's just usually when people talk about "mechas" or "mechs" usually the first thing that comes to mind is the SUPER ROBOT, a giant humanoid tank with multiple futuristic military weapons and not the more spherical comedic cars that fly around and like, smack you in the face with a giant boxing glove.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think they literally are, but the conversation started with Gundam, Daemon X Machina, and Xenoblade Chronicles X, so it was a specific style that people were originally talking about.

And to be fair to you, the proposed Tron Bonne, Baby Head, and a few others were also very different from those as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think they literally are, but the conversation started with Gundam, Daemon X Machina, and Xenoblade Chronicles X, so it was a specific style that people were originally talking about.

And to be fair to you, the proposed Tron Bonne, Baby Head, and a few others were also very different from those as well.
There was Xenoblade X discussion AND I MISSED IT?! 😭

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It was just the post Merengue quoted and my response talking about how Xenoblade Chronicles X has more of an emphasis on the human cast so the Skells wouldn't likely be a huge part of the moveset.
Oh then yeah

Skells would be a final smash if anything

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I mean...I guess? The Koopa Clown Car, Egg Mobile, and Egg Walker are a pretty far cry from what people were originally talking about when talking about mechas though.
I dunno, if Lagann is considered a mecha, I'd say the Koopa Clown Car also qualifies.

4a9c292de3860974be13526c948301323957bbacr1-625-352v2_hq.jpg
Also, depending on who's drawing her, we can always pretend Samus counts! :4pacman:

84856871_p0.jpg

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Mecha characters are all about sciencr and that sucks when the opposite is supernatural which is so much more varied, like for example...
View attachment 324178
Just beat this game and damn I wish it didn't flop, best hopes for this is a Spirit event with an invisible character who tosses items at you
That game is so good...I wanted Sissle in MvC.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of mechs and mecha based characters, I would love to see either Gaige or Moze from Borderlands in Smash. Gaige has a robot companion that basically acts like a separate partner character where Moze has a huge power suit that she rides.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
On the topic of mecha, I recently finished 13 sentinels aegis rim (amazing game by the way) and I think it could make a great character in Smash. Even if the sentinels is obviously way too big, I think it could be downsized and most of the sentinels abilities could translate pretty well in a Smash moveset, although it might be hard to balance because most of these attacks were made to attack in a huge range and be very powerful. The stage could be Sakura high school and it would come with awesome music:

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim Soundtrack - 01. Brat Overflow (Main Theme) - YouTube
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim OST: -[DEOXYRIBOSE]- - YouTube
十三機兵防衛圈[13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim ] BGM - Seaside Vacation 《渚のバカンス》 - YouTube

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
On the topic of mecha, I recently finished 13 sentinels aegis rim (amazing game by the way) and I think it could make a great character in Smash. Even if the sentinels is obviously way too big, I think it could be downsized and most of the sentinels abilities could translate pretty well in a Smash moveset, although it might be hard to balance because most of these attacks were made to attack in a huge range and be very powerful. The stage could be Sakura high school and it would come with awesome music:

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim Soundtrack - 01. Brat Overflow (Main Theme) - YouTube
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim OST: -[DEOXYRIBOSE]- - YouTube
十三機兵防衛圈[13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim ] BGM - Seaside Vacation 《渚のバカンス》 - YouTube
Kicks wall down
DID I HEAR SOMEONE SAY 13 SENTINALS?! Seaside Vacation is my ****ing JAM But i like -(TRYPTOPHAN)- and -(ISOLEUCINE)- specifically

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
This could be the case too. But it's probably more likely Yabuki said it to Nintendo first. Sakurai couldn't choose the character directly like that. He definitely had to have been told to do Min Min according to the official information given. How Nintendo and Yabuki decided it is unclear, of course. But that would also mean Nintendo approved of Min Min after Yabuki said okay, and then Nintendo told Sakurai which character it was.

Either works. It just sounds more logical for Yabuki to ask Nintendo first, but it's not like it matters which order of how it happened, really. The only thing that was clear is Sakurai didn't choose Min Min himself or requested it from Yabuki. It doesn't fit any statements properly.
I don't think this makes any sense. Remember that Sakurai did say that they were considering Min Min or Ninjara initially before Yabuki recommended Min Min, this seems to imply that Nintendo kinda went "hey pick an ARMS character" and gave autonomy to Sakurai on how he would make that challenger pack, it's just that Yabuki happened to make a request, and that's how we got Min Min. We can see this more clearly with Pyra/Mythra and Kazuya. For the former, Sakurai said that Rex was planned initially before they swapped to Pyra/Mythra after realizing it wouldn't be feasible. I imagine that if Nintendo mandated we'd get Rex, that Sakurai would probably cut the Pyra/Mythra part of that moveset instead of Rex. Meanwhile Sakurai mentioned that Nintendo asked for a Tekken character rather than Kazuya in particular, even noting that Kazuya's devil gene is the reason they landed on him. I feel like the amount of creative control and nuance with these character selections is being downplayed a little. It is very clear that Nintendo decides the main aspects of what would be included in each pack, mainly the game they are choosing to represent, but I imagine Sakurai is given freedom to decide how they go about doing that.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

R.O.B. made his debut on store shelves 36 years ago today!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Pic of the Day:

Full translation of the text in the tweet:
Today in 1985, the Family Computer Robot (Robotic Operating Buddy) is on sale !! In fact, I posted congratulations last year. In other words, I went around. What should I do in the future ... There are various titles that we haven't introduced yet.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Pic of the Day:

I always had an idea for a Kid Icarus Uprising-esque revival for R.O.B., though admittedly I don't know how good my pitch actually is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom