• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The original post by Gil explains it. Its not a poll. Rather just a compilation of of requests people made on twitter.

It isn’t entirely accurate, but its enough to give at least an idea of where each region stands on requests.
If it is accurate to any extent, then why is there one single fan requested character?
The only reason I can see is bias of the creator.
If Gundam is on, then Goku would be on. I don't see a way around this delegitimizing the entire thing.
A character who is chosen on popularity and not for business decisions or to fix base roster content.

They could be hugely popular or just have a decent enough fans backing them.

For example if the next character was, as an example eggman (because I don’t know many examples) and Nintendo/sakurai came out and said they had many requests for him then he’d be a popular pick. He Doesn’t have anything to promote and he isn’t a huge pick as he’s never usually brought up in dlc speculation.

Probably not the greatest example but you get what I mean though, someone who’s not promoting anything and isn’t put in to make up for lack of content.
But, inherently, if a character is hugely popular, then it makes it a good business decision. Hence, there is not a way to separate the two.
I really don't understand what you mean (because yes, the Example is falling apart in my head too- considering Eggman is always about to appear in a new game, and usually about to appear in a TV show or movie). Plus, if he isn't a "huge pick" as far as fan requests, then how is it a fan pick? I truly don't understand the point you are attempting to make.
While I will concede that I'm not hopeful for Geno's chances as much as the next guy, saying it's because of his costume doesn't really mean anything.

Y'know, since although we got Pythra, it was originally considered to make Rex the X2 rep, who had a costume revealed on launch day. And Kazuya being chosen over Heihachi wasn't because of his costume, either.
Few things disconfirm in my eyes.
However, it is extremely poor business to lure people to buy content early on- a specific costume of Geno- to then later add the character. The character invalidates both the work on the costume, but more importantly, the sales of that character, because if someone is going to spend money on the costume, they are likely going to buy the character. It is quite directly asking people to pay for the same content twice, with the former content quickly becoming inferior. It is essentially tricking people into spending money, earlier on.
It's not at all the same with Rex, because Rex is not the character- and we don't actually know when Sakurai realized he wouldn't be able to do Rex with Pyra and Mythra- it could have been as far back as when he added back in the Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If it is accurate to any extent, then why is there one single fan requested character?
If Gundam is on, then Goku would be on. I don't see a way around this delegitimizing the entire thing.
….I don’t understand what this post is trying to say

No. Its just a compilation of character requests on twitter. Bias of creator cannot apply to the list unless somebody literally just didn’t count votes purposely or fudged numbers for the sake of a Smash Popularity list.

I don’t have much faith in this species. But I refuse to believe someone would stoop so low as to rig a twitter popularity list.

why is there one single fan requested character?
Every character is fan requested. Thats the point of the list.

Is it that Gundam is 4th party and nothing else is? Cause that really doesn’t mean anything other than Gundam is more popular a request than Goku is in Japan.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There isn't. They're all fan requests. That's the point.

If Gundam is on, then Goku would be on.
How do you know he's not #11 and just barely didn't make the list? Gundam is huge in Japan. I don't think it's farfetched at all to see it rank so high compared to Dragon Ball.

No. Its just a compilation of character requests on twitter. Bias of creator cannot apply to the list unless somebody literally just didn’t count votes purposely or fudged numbers for the sake of a Smash Popularity list.

I don’t have much faith in this species. But I refuse to believe someone would stoop so low as to rig a twitter popularity list.
Now, to be fair, it is inherently biased by nature of only being twitter users's opinions, and we have no idea how iffy scenarios are counted, or how requests made by the same person are counted.

This is all why it should just be taken with a grain of salt, but it's unlikely that any biases would affect the count's results in a major way.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Few things disconfirm in my eyes.
However, it is extremely poor business to lure people to buy content early on- a specific costume of Geno- to then later add the character. The character invalidates both the work on the costume, but more importantly, the sales of that character, because if someone is going to spend money on the costume, they are likely going to buy the character. It is quite directly asking people to pay for the same content twice, with the former content quickly becoming inferior. It is essentially tricking people into spending money, earlier on.
It's not at all the same with Rex, because Rex is not the character- and we don't actually know when Sakurai realized he wouldn't be able to do Rex with Pyra and Mythra- it could have been as far back as when he added back in the Ice Climbers.
I've become something of a Geno fan myself since last summer, but I fully concede that a lot of people would feel they wasted their money (even if it's a small amount) on the costume if Geno was made a full fighter the same game, and this would be a bad business and PR move. So I have zero confidence in Geno as FP11.

Also, another reason the Rex costume would be different even if he was the fighter--you didn't buy the Rex costume on its own; it was a bonus for a different purchase. How many people would have bought the full Fighters Pass purely for a single Mii costume?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yabuki chose Min Min. We know that for a fact. Stop stretching the truth here. He requested it to Nintendo, the actual reason Sakurai would be able to even use the character. Nintendo hard chooses the characters, which means any requests must go through them first.

Sakurai in no way chose Min Min on his own, nor requested it. That doesn't fit any of the information we have.

She happens to also be extremely popular(winning the ARMS contest, which isn't really a true tournament but a pure popularity poll), but whether that's why Yabuki requested her to Nintendo is unknown. Spring Man is also Yabuki's favorite, as he favored both characters, being the Mascot of ARMS(Spring Man), and the one he personally wanted for Smash(Min Min).

In addition, Sakurai gave nobody but Spring Man anything special in base. It's very clear he was the only choice to represent the core game during the base game. He didn't have that option for the Fighter's Pass, because he wasn't choosing a character. Nintendo was in all 11 cases(or in this case, 12 cases since one's a two-in-one Pack). Min Min being in was out of his direct control. While his favorites are Min Min and Ninjara, as admitted by himself, Min Min isn't the AT, now is she? No. It was the mascot that got first dibs for the biggest role. It was obvious if time went better, Spring Man was very clearly the de facto choice. It's not till years later than Min Min gained serious enough traction to be considered viable for DLC. She still had to fight Spring Man for that spot among the fanbase, and even they recognized Spring Man as possible. It makes sense. They're the two biggest characters in the game for different reasons.

It's sometimes just as simple as it sounds when it comes to character requests. Don't forget that both Snake and Sonic were originally requested to be put in Melee(this was well before the Sonic series was hitting the GameCube, as that didn't happen for a while. Sega wasn't out of the console business either). Time constraints said "nope", but what'd you expect with the game being rushed out overly fast. Like, the only thing that wasn't originally intended they caught was Wavedashing, and kept it in cause it was a fun mechanic in practice. Snake got requested for Brawl in the same fashion. Sonic on the other hand was a case of, by that time, Sakurai requesting to use him(and he was lucky to make it in, heh).

Character Additions are complicated in that regard too. They go a ton of ways. Sometimes the mascot isn't the first character, but if it's not that, it'll at least be a protagonist(Min Min is one such example), which is a fan rule based more upon logic than just "they had a role we don't think would get upgraded". It makes sense a major character(usually a protagonist, though so far it applies right now) or mascot will get first dibs. Smash also doesn't go out of its way to give first characters necessarily immunity to cuts. Ness was almost cut twice, after all. However, it's now established his role as the posterboy for Mother, with only Lucas ever seeing a cut. It's easy to assume the rest of the series will never have their first character cut unless it's the entire series cut(poor Metal Gear, Ice Climbers). Even a notable Protagonist wasn't immune to this, being Pokemon Trainer, who got cut for technical issues(and they didn't have Squirtle or Ivysaur at least return separately from Charizard. But it does make sense if only one was chosen, it'd be Chaziard. It towers above the other two is popularity, after all).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
While I will concede that I'm not hopeful for Geno's chances as much as the next guy, saying it's because of his costume doesn't really mean anything.

Y'know, since although we got Pythra, it was originally considered to make Rex the X2 rep, who had a costume revealed on launch day. And Kazuya being chosen over Heihachi wasn't because of his costume, either.
I think there's a bit more nuance to this than that. We can reasonably assume that most of the content within the Fighters Passes (at least characters and stages, probably not spirits and music since there are probably more hoops to jump through for those) are decided and finalized at around the same time. Mii costumes are treated as their own thing outside of the passes, but we can also assume that these are developed with the challenger packs in mind. With all that established:

Rex's Mii costume was included as a bonus for downloading Fighters Pass 1. Sakurai said he originally wanted to include Rex as one of the Fighters Pass 2 fighters with Pyra and Mythra as supports, but couldn't find a way to make it feasibly work, so instead we got his backup plan and added Pyra and Mythra, with Rex only appearing for the taunt, victory animations, and Final Smash. He makes no mention of the Mii costume (at least, not to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong).

However, I think there's a bit more to Heihachi. His Mii costume releases with Min Min's wave, and later on, Kazuya is revealed. Again, Sakurai mentions the reason the team went with Kazuya over Heihachi was because he had the devil gene, with no mention to the Mii costume. But like we established, characters are very likely decided on from the beginning - Sakurai himself stating that the second pass was greenlit around the time of the first's completion of memory serves - so it would have been decided on from the beginning that Heihachi would return a Mii costume and Kazuya would be the Tekken character. Unfortunately, Geno falls into a similar boat, because why would they even bother to release his Mii costume if he himself was planned to come later? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Granted, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors so this could be way off the mark but those are just the conclusions I've drawn from what has been said and what has happened.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Issue is that’d probably only work on online. If in person and they’re all playing on one switch with a dock connected to a tv and multiple controllers, how would that work?
Perhaps outline the "invisible" player, so that way, to some capacity, everyone can see the character?

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
why do people think they’re still working on characters nearly 3 years after release; after 2 seasons of dlc?

pretty sure they’re completed and just waiting to be released

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think it's within the realm of possibility that a Mii Costume released two years ago or more could be back on the table in some capacity assuming that two years is considered enough time to have made that $1 worthwhile. I'm a bit lenient in that respect, although selling a Mii costume of a character in the same FP where that character would also hypothetically appear as a playable character is well beyond the realm of believability.

Like, I think Tails is an option but Geno / Travis / etc are pretty confidently not. Kazuya confirms that a series or a company getting separate content alongside a separate challenger pack doesn't disqualify content under those umbrellas, but the individual characters themselves still feel like a lost cause.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Perhaps outline the "invisible" player, so that way, to some capacity, everyone can see the character?
Invisibility in Super Smash Bros. is already imperfect. Stealth Elf's invisibility is also not at all invisible to players, as her eyes glow throughout the entire effect, and since that effect is consistent across the entire series, I don't think they'd get rid of it. Even barring that, the clone is awful at imitating the player, so other players would know exactly when she popped the ability.

So...since Stealth Elf was never designed to be invisible to players and the clone sucks at what it does when you take players into account, I don't think Stealth Elf would have true invisibility. If she were to get anything of that nature, it would probably be the common ninjutsu clone fake-out move where you have to guess which one is the actual attack or block both the illusions and the actual attack or something.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
….I don’t understand what this post is trying to say
That there is close to no such thing as a 'fan pick' that isn't also a 'Nintendo pick'

If that were the case, then we wouldn't get all the fake leaks we get.

Is it that Gundam is 4th party and nothing else is? Cause that really doesn’t mean anything other than Gundam is more popular a request than Goku is in Japan.
It would mean that the only top ten non-video game character around the world is Gundam. Possible? Yes. Probable? No.
I'm not given a red flag that Goku isn't on the list in Japan- I'm tipped off that in the rest of the world, Goku isn't on the list, yet Gundam is, in Japan.

This is all why it should just be taken with a grain of salt, but it's unlikely that any biases would affect the count's results in a major way.
I'm just curious- why is it unlikely that bias would affect it? Hell, I'm saying it might not even be bias, it could be completely falsified. What's different about this list than, say, a content creator making a full Rayman render to drum up hype for the character? Or even from just the average 4chan leak?
If this list has no reason to be believed- which is, as far as I know, the truth- then why is it so constantly brought up as if it is a source of...anything, other than a single person/group's POV?

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So...since Stealth Elf was never designed to be invisible to players and the clone sucks at what it does when you take players into account, I don't think Stealth Elf would have true invisibility.
And we know Sakurai would want characters to stay true to their original character, series, and fighting/movement style in said series.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And we know Sakurai would want characters to stay true to their original character, series, and fighting/movement style in said series.
As best as he can, anyway. Circumstances can change things. He tends to go with the moveset fitting the personality more than simply "it's canon". He also has grown as a developer and can do a lot more than he used to. Other things like more development time help too. Kazuya very well represents Tekken without being similar to Min Min's limb gimmick. Etc.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yabuki chose Min Min. We know that for a fact. Stop stretching the truth here. He requested it to Nintendo, the actual reason Sakurai would be able to even use the character. Nintendo hard chooses the characters, which means any requests must go through them first.

Sakurai in no way chose Min Min on his own, nor requested it. That doesn't fit any of the information we have.

She happens to also be extremely popular(winning the ARMS contest, which isn't really a true tournament but a pure popularity poll), but whether that's why Yabuki requested her to Nintendo is unknown. Spring Man is also Yabuki's favorite, as he favored both characters, being the Mascot of ARMS(Spring Man), and the one he personally wanted for Smash(Min Min).

In addition, Sakurai gave nobody but Spring Man anything special in base. It's very clear he was the only choice to represent the core game during the base game. He didn't have that option for the Fighter's Pass, because he wasn't choosing a character. Nintendo was in all 11 cases(or in this case, 12 cases since one's a two-in-one Pack). Min Min being in was out of his direct control. While his favorites are Min Min and Ninjara, as admitted by himself, Min Min isn't the AT, now is she? No. It was the mascot that got first dibs for the biggest role. It was obvious if time went better, Spring Man was very clearly the de facto choice. It's not till years later than Min Min gained serious enough traction to be considered viable for DLC. She still had to fight Spring Man for that spot among the fanbase, and even they recognized Spring Man as possible. It makes sense. They're the two biggest characters in the game for different reasons.

It's sometimes just as simple as it sounds when it comes to character requests. Don't forget that both Snake and Sonic were originally requested to be put in Melee(this was well before the Sonic series was hitting the GameCube, as that didn't happen for a while. Sega wasn't out of the console business either). Time constraints said "nope", but what'd you expect with the game being rushed out overly fast. Like, the only thing that wasn't originally intended they caught was Wavedashing, and kept it in cause it was a fun mechanic in practice. Snake got requested for Brawl in the same fashion. Sonic on the other hand was a case of, by that time, Sakurai requesting to use him(and he was lucky to make it in, heh).

Character Additions are complicated in that regard too. They go a ton of ways. Sometimes the mascot isn't the first character, but if it's not that, it'll at least be a protagonist(Min Min is one such example), which is a fan rule based more upon logic than just "they had a role we don't think would get upgraded". It makes sense a major character(usually a protagonist, though so far it applies right now) or mascot will get first dibs. Smash also doesn't go out of its way to give first characters necessarily immunity to cuts. Ness was almost cut twice, after all. However, it's now established his role as the posterboy for Mother, with only Lucas ever seeing a cut. It's easy to assume the rest of the series will never have their first character cut unless it's the entire series cut(poor Metal Gear, Ice Climbers). Even a notable Protagonist wasn't immune to this, being Pokemon Trainer, who got cut for technical issues(and they didn't have Squirtle or Ivysaur at least return separately from Charizard. But it does make sense if only one was chosen, it'd be Chaziard. It towers above the other two is popularity, after all).
Please show me anywhere where it says that the ARMS director approached Nintendo/Sakurai for a character, period- not that, once he was approached to choose which ARMS character, it was Min Min. You seem to be missing my point.
Also, if you really want to get into it, then Min Min is the mascot of ARMS. But this is really the argument we are already having, because it isn't about Yabuki initiating a conversation to get any of his characters.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Please show me anywhere where it says that the ARMS director approached Nintendo/Sakurai for a character, period- not that, once he was approached to choose which ARMS character, it was Min Min. You seem to be missing my point.
Also, if you really want to get into it, then Min Min is the mascot of ARMS. But this is really the argument we are already having, because it isn't about Yabuki initiating a conversation to get any of his characters.

Literally straight from sakurai himself. The arms producer wanted min min.

Attachments

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Literally straight from sakurai himself. The arms producer wanted min min.
Yes... when asked which character, he said he wanted Min Min.

Here is the order of operations:
  • Nintendo chose ARMS
  • Yabuki decided which ARMS character

NOT
  • Yabuki wants Min Min
  • Yabuki suggested ARMS get in the game
HUGE difference. I'm not sure why this is complicated to understand. It is not a situation like Sonic or Snake.

“The first time I saw ARMS was when Nintendo showed me their games in development so I could incorporate elements of them into the new entry for Smash Bros. This was before both games released, of course. At that particular time, it was very difficult to integrate a single new fighter into the mix. We had so many different things going on during the production that I initially determined it wasn’t possible. That’s why we were limited to including Spring Man as an Assist Trophy and making some Spirits out of others. After that, they decided there would be 11 DLC fighters, and one of them would be from ARMS…”

Read more at The Outerhaven: Sakurai Reveals The True Origins Of Min Min In Super Smash Bros Ultimate! https://wp.me/p9C4eV-LJI

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm just curious- why is it unlikely that bias would affect it? Hell, I'm saying it might not even be bias, it could be completely falsified. What's different about this list than, say, a content creator making a full Rayman render to drum up hype for the character? Or even from just the average 4chan leak?
If this list has no reason to be believed- which is, as far as I know, the truth- then why is it so constantly brought up as if it is a source of...anything, other than a single person/group's POV?
Because instead it's a count of the requests from the community on Twitter. If it counts a vote for the same character from the same account more than once, then it is a bias, but there's only so much one can influence the results. You still need a whole bunch of people to move the needle with a sample size this large.

Also, if you really want to get into it, then Min Min is the mascot of ARMS.
No. She's not. Being in Super Smash Bros. does not make her the mascot. Actually being used as a mascot (a la Spring Man and Ribbon Girl) makes you a mascot. So far, we haven't actually seen any promotional material from the game since her inclusion, so while she's set up to be one, she isn't one yet.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
But then... everyone can see the character, meaning the invisibility is useless.

The closest thing I've seen was in Towerfall Ascencion - if you stay still for a few seconds, you can blend into the background a little bit, but if your opponent is playing attention, they can still see you. However, that would pretty much only work in free-for-alls.

Inb4 Teemo. :teemo:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
That there is close to no such thing as a 'fan pick' that isn't also a 'Nintendo pick'
How does that apply to the list? This is not by any means trying to prove that any single one of these characters will be in the game. Even if they do get into the game, the list still isn’t try to say they would be picked purely off of fan popularity. Its just a simple way to make an iffy count of how popular some characters are.
If that were the case, then we wouldn't get all the fake leaks we get.
Fake leaks are trying to convince us what Nintendo has in store. What big things we have to look forward to. This is a list that itself admits it isn’t 100% accurate and isn’t try to say its true. What lowlife would fake something like that?

It would mean that the only top ten non-video game character around the world is Gundam. Possible? Yes. Probable? No.
I'm not given a red flag that Goku isn't on the list in Japan- I'm tipped off that in the rest of the world, Goku isn't on the list, yet Gundam is, in Japan.
Cool. This doesn’t mean anything objective. Just that you assume Goku would be popular in the world on twitter.
Gundam is huge in Japan and its inclusion isn’t memed to death like Goku is. Is it that farfetched to assume it would make it on an Goku wouldn’t?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Min Min's only chance to take the mascot status is a new material in the ARMS IP. She's practically destined for it(though not guaranteed), since her favoritism among fans, Sakurai, and the Director is a huge deal that can grant her this status. But until the IP gets a new game, manga, whatever, this won't be the case.

Mascots aren't going to be established as a new one if the series doesn't continue, after all. Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are still the mascots officially. Ribbon Girl was never treated as important as Spring Man, unfortunatley.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No. She's not. Being in Super Smash Bros. does not make her the mascot. Actually being used as a mascot (a la Spring Man and Ribbon Girl) makes you a mascot. So far, we haven't actually seen any promotional material from the game since her inclusion, so while she's set up to be one, she isn't one yet.
I'm not getting into this again.
How does that apply to the list? This is not by any means trying to prove that any single one of these characters will be in the game. Even if they do get into the game, the list still isn’t try to say they would be picked purely off of fan popularity. Its just a simple way to make an iffy count of how popular some characters are.
The conversation I was having about fan picks, with another user, was not in relation to this list. It was about his claim that fan picks are completely separate from Nintendo picks, and that popular characters from popular series are chosen by Nintendo, not to be picks for fans.
Meanwhile, my retort was that a pick from a popular series, by Nintendo, is inherently a fan pick, and very frequently (like with Steve) reflects a large desire for said character from the community.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nintendo: We want an ARMS character
Sakurai: Ok
Yabuki: Ok, do Min Min
Sakurai: Ok
Nintendo: Ok

Although I think it's possible the Crash Bash was used to see who the rep should be, and Min Min winning gave her an extra boost
This could be the case too. But it's probably more likely Yabuki said it to Nintendo first. Sakurai couldn't choose the character directly like that. He definitely had to have been told to do Min Min according to the official information given. How Nintendo and Yabuki decided it is unclear, of course. But that would also mean Nintendo approved of Min Min after Yabuki said okay, and then Nintendo told Sakurai which character it was.

Either works. It just sounds more logical for Yabuki to ask Nintendo first, but it's not like it matters which order of how it happened, really. The only thing that was clear is Sakurai didn't choose Min Min himself or requested it from Yabuki. It doesn't fit any statements properly.

To say the least, the Crash Bash is what I refer to as the Tournament Popularity Poll. If that's what made Yabuki want her, it makes sense. It means she's the big fan want, and by that point, things have changed for Smash Bros. itself. This alone could also influence her becoming the next mascot, too. I mean, how do you think Fulgore became Killer Instinct's official Mascot? Or Nightmare? Fan popularity changed things. They weren't from the start, after all. Etc.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
The fact that Gundam is on that 'most wanted' list is enough to invalidate it based on incongruencies. Gundam is not a video game character. If non video game characters can be on that list, I am positive we would see other nonvideo game characters on that list, such as, clearly Goku. And apparently, probably Iron Man.
Can always just put in Huckebein or R-1 from Super Robot Wars and call it day

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know if Daemon X Machina or Xenoblade X didn't have their chances for Ultimate shot up, we might have had a mecha in Smash by now. Dunno how a massive thing like that would work in the context of Smash though, which is probably partially why that concept has never been considered.

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, I think his moveset and playstyle would probably fit a little bit better than, say, Ivern. Bu we all know you'd really be maining the Meeps. :4pacman:

Y'know, I do wonder how Smash could do stealth sometimes. MOBAs and some competitive FPS games do it, but I'd argue it's harder in a fighting game because all players need to have roughly the same information displayed in the same way on screen.
Think that the Clear status would be the best way to go about it - since it already exists in the game. In order to make it workable for a fighter it could be either for a very short time, or have the distortion be noticeable. It's never going to be perfect, no, but still.

(Sure, it'd make Special Smash a bit more wonky, but hey, we already have :ultjigglypuff: putting flowers on peoples' heads while there's also a Special condition involving flowers on everyones' heads.)

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
But then... everyone can see the character, meaning the invisibility is useless.

The closest thing I've seen was in Towerfall Ascencion - if you stay still for a few seconds, you can blend into the background a little bit, but if your opponent is playing attention, they can still see you. However, that would pretty much only work in free-for-alls.

Inb4 Teemo. :teemo:

IMO the invisibility could work the exact same as hero's. sure you don't completely vanish but even being able to turn partially invisible at will is an extremely useful ability, especially in fighting games. many games also incorporate stat buffs into the invisibility state

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While they do sometimes take creative liberties, yeah, that's generally the goal. Stealth Elf is a bit of a weird one though since her abilities rely on an aggro system. Best I can think of would be something like this for her special moves:
  • Neutral Special: Scorncrow
    • Stealth Elf flips backward, leaving behind a magic scarecrow that looks like her. The scarecrow poofs really quickly, but if an opponent hits it, they are slowed. Oversimplified, it's Foresight.
  • Side Special: Stealthier Decoy
    • Stealth Elf becomes "invisible", and a clone of her moves forward. Stealth Elf is able to move around freely while "invisible", and remains "invisible" for about a second, or until the clone is detonated by an opponent. When the clone detonates, it leaves behind a scarecrow, that acts as a destructible wall. Said wall will break if an opponent is launched into it hard enough, so no infinites.
    • While Stealth Elf will be clearly visible due to her glowing eyes, you won't be able to see her weapons, so her range might be difficult to determine during the "invisible" state.
  • Up Special: Arboreal Acrobatics
    • Stealth Elf jumps and flips forward, stopping when she lands. This is a standard recovery move with no hitbox. If she has her extra blades active, this has a hitbox the whole way up and down.
  • Down Special: Shadowsbane Blade Dance
    • Stealth Elf summons five floating blades that add hitboxes to all of her normal attacks, as well as to Arboreal Acrobatics. Takes a while to do though.
EDIT: Scorncrow is the odd ability out here since it's from the card game. I could have just made it be the Straw Pook Scarecrow, but those aren't made on command; only by the clones. I thought this would be better.

Although I think it's possible the Crash Bash was used to see who the rep should be, and Min Min winning gave her an extra boost
I doubt the former is true since it took place before Fighters Pass 1 (though it probably will be important come ARMS 2), but the latter could be true regardless of the exact scenario that played out.

Y'know if Daemon X Machina or Xenoblade X didn't have their chances for Ultimate shot up, we might have had a mecha in Smash by now. Dunno how a massive thing like that would work in the context of Smash though, which is probably partially why that concept has never been considered.
Unfortunately, Daemon X Machina didn't seem to really make a splash from what I've seen, and Xenoblade Chronicles X is focused on the human cast, so the Skells would probably just be a Final Smash. I think the most realistic character to bring a giant mecha with them is Sakura at the moment (and even then they might just make her an Iado character, though they could do both that and the mecha stuff).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is possible that Min Min was a potential bonus character(so the idea of the Crash Bash helping to determine who could be one after the normal five characters isn't that farfetched. That said, I agree that it's extremely likely Min Min winning the Crash Bash helped influenced Yabuki's decision to request her). Steve was 5 years in working, so is clearly one of the 2 potential bonus characters. Who the other one is, who knows. Sephiroth or Min Min could easily fit. It could've been Pyra and Mythra too. There's so much interesting ways to look at it that anyone in Pass 2 could theoretically be a bonus character at one point.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
You make them chibi sized like in SRW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom