• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So this question has probably been asked before but who’s is everyone’s top 5 safe picks (picks that are highly likely) for the last spot.
5. We
4. Don't
3. Know
2. Who
1. Gill Grunt from Skylanders :4pacman: (No but for real, anyone can happen, and this has been reality ever since Joker)

But if I HAD to pick 5...

Phoenix
Rayman
Nahobino
Master Chief
Cinderace

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Safe picks? SAFE picks? Oooh who needs safe picks? It's not like I'm getting brownie points, I'm already impressed I predicted Sephiroth. Knowing Nintendo they'll probably surprise us with Raiden from Metal Gear.

Or hey, what about Ashley for a safe Nintendo character? There's a new WarioWare coming out and she'd got a pretty big fanbase kinda all around tbh. I remember lots of Ashley love during the start of every Smash game since Brawl and in Ultimate, it fell off since the AT reveal.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So this question has probably been asked before but who’s is everyone’s top 5 safe picks (picks that are highly likely) for the last spot.
This is quite tough.

1. Goku (I don't know why but I have an awful feeling that we all might be sleeping on Goku. Dread him, run from him, he's coming to Smash Bros all the same. I bet Namco accepted Kazuya because they finally convinced Sakurai to add Goku into Smash)
2. Sora (I still think he has a chance despite Sephiroth and Disney seems like a company that would be stubborn at first and then change their minds at the last second. If challenger pack 11 is on Min Min time then I could see it being Sora)
3. Adol Christin (Nihon Falcom is another smaller Japanese company I could see Nintendo going for and it's got a Mcjrpgswordguy so it has to be very tempting for them)
4. Sol Badguy (Arc System works is a smaller Japanese company and Nintendo could try with them though I don't think Nintendo is cool enough to pick someone like Sol Badguy)
5. Sgt. Cortez (A spot saved for Cortez because of the things I've mentioned that you can find on my support page)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly I may be erroneously holding out hope for Hayabusa but he literally is one of my few most wanted characters left. Aside from like Master Chief and Doom Slayer, whom I don’t think are happening at all this time around, there’s like Kiryu and Hayabusa and that’s it.

So, yeah as always, my pick for this next character is the man himself.
78397F71-0322-4487-9889-5C63D05514A4.gif

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly I may be erroneously holding out hope for Hayabusa but he literally is one of my few most wanted characters left. Aside from like Master Chief and Doom Slayer, whom I don’t think are happening at all this time around, there’s like Kiryu and Hayabusa and that’s it.

So, yeah as always, my pick for this next character is the man himself.
View attachment 323383
Even if Hyabusa doesn’t happen in Ultimate, I think he’s almost a guarantee for the next game. I feel like support for him picked up quite a bit since this game’s launch and I would be shocked if he doesn’t make it at some point.

Personally, I would prefer Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors as far as Koei-Tecmo goes but the fact that the characters are based on real people might hurt their chances. If Lu Bu can’t happen, I’d still be happy with Hyabusa.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Don't the 3DS and Wii U e-shops share the same money holding as the Switch shop if they all share the Nintendo account?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As long as I can buy the regular cards where I input a code, I'm good. Though I think I got all the Wii U and 3DS games I wanted, so?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
As long as I can buy the regular cards where I input a code, I'm good. Though I think I got all the Wii U and 3DS games I wanted, so?
I think codes will still work. This part (which I used Google Translate for the original page) has the following info:

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.46.20 PM.png

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I honestly have no clue who is getting in or even who is most likely but I’ll list my top five characters I’d love to see that I feel have a very realistic chance of making it in:

1) Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads) - We haven’t gotten an NES rep for a DLC yet and the Battletoads are among the most iconic left. Their two biggest challengers from that era are Ryu Hyabusa and Bill Rizer.

2) Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft) - I feel like Blizzard is criminally underrated when it comes to Smash speculation. Every major Blizzard IP other than WarCraft has had some presence on Nintendo consoles and StarCraft was the first of these with a game on the N64.

3) Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) - Warriors is another hugely underrated series for Smash. It is thanks to Warriors spin-offs that Koei-Tecmo and Nintendo have such a great relationship.

4) Bill Rizer (Contra) - Another NES rep and one of the few remaining icons of the era not involved in Smash in any way. His move set is probably a bit more difficult to properly implement in Smash so he is a bit lower on the list than the Toads.

5) Gengar (Pokémon) - It has been quite a while since Pokémon Sword and Shield released so I don’t necessarily think that the next character has to come from that game. Gengar is a hugely popular Pokémon that has been featured prominently in almost every generation.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Top 5 as in if I like them AND are likely to happen or just the latter?
Whatever, I'll go with the 2nd choice

1. Shadow (or any Sonic character for that matter)
I'm kind of too lazy to fully explain now, but I'll write it short:
-Nintendo seems to play it safe with the companies in FP2, working only with those that have been present during FP1 or base game development (it has definitely been a trend here)
-Going by this, the franchises that didn't get anything in terms of fighters this pass were SNK (for obvious reasons), Konami (no viable candidates atm) Capcom and SEGA. Who's most likely between those? It's up to you to speculate about.
-At the same time, they seem to put in choices that were sorta ''lacking'' from base game (predominantly in FP2, going with picks that were missing such as an ARMS, XC2 or Tekken rep, Steve who took 5 years to negotiate for and finally Sephy who fixed FF7's representation). Sonic singlehandedly has the most requests out of any 3rd party for a 2nd character while many others got theirs first. It's hard to think that the idea wasn't at least considered when Sakurai seems to like Shadow's design, and Sonic is easily one of the most recognizable 3rd party IPs with a diverse set of characters that people want, while also selling gangbusters.
-Unlike Capcom that got a handful of miis, SEGA not getting content in FP2 is weird
-Sephy proving that we indeed can get two unique characters from the same 3rd party IP

Anything relevant from SEGA rn is a safe pick if you ask me, but Sonic in particular seems to make the most sense in retrospective.
Before anyone says it's SEGA's fault for not including another character, TIL that Shadow was indeed going to be playable in a much lesser profitable game named PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: https://playstationallstars.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow
Let alone Smash which is the best selling fighting game franchise in history

2. Leon
-Same as above, it's mostly because Capcom hasn't gotten a fighter yet
-No miis from RE
-The date in which the Spirit event was presented could've been a grey area/red herring of sorts in which negotations fell through at first, but then went rather smoothly (it was before we've been shown the exact amount of fighters iirc)
-The extra fighter theory could further enhance this reasoning
-RE is the biggest Capcom franchise not in the game yet, and it's not even up for debate
-Leon in particular is the most clamoured choice, and they wouldn't have a reason to gatekeep him because unlike Heihachi, his competence within the series wouldn't be much more unique than him in comparison

3. Doomguy
There are 3 reasons why I think he may be the final character
-Bethesda getting no reps aside from 2 miis, yet he was awkwardly left out EVEN when Sakurai addressed fan demand with the lesser requested Dragonborn. Not to mention he wears a suit, which imo is perfect for mii costume material if the worst case scenario comes to happen.
-Color theory (this may be reaching. but the guy kind of got it right last time), since a darker shade of green was between those options
-Wasn't Microsoft yet when negotations ended for FP2, so no double dip rule nonsense here

Why I think he may not happen at all:
-Too much of a western pick
-Lack of M-rated newcomers in this game
-The Bethesda franchises that got deconfirmed are certainly bigger than DOOM

I'm leaning towards a mii costume for now but he's worth to keep an eye on

4. Rayman:
Pros

-Fits 2nd chance theory
-Ubisoft still doesn't have a character
-Color theory again (purple was the predominant color for the next fighter, apparently)
-Ubisoft seems to push for him in Smash the most, as he was a trophy back in Sm4sh before the Altair mii

Cons

-Western pick once again
-Assassin's Creed sells like absolute gangbusters compared to Rayman, with the former having over 155+ million copies sold, yet it wasn't included
-Overshadowed by Rabbids during recent years
-His gimmick (extending limbs) may have been taken by Min Min

5. Sora
Because he's so much of a wildcard and so good of a finale (I'm fully prepared for the ''but I don't like him'' replies) that no one will be able to see him coming. Akin to Bayonetta prior to her reveal, he's largely seen as impossible (I was there during Sm4sh and the situation regarding Sora rn is kind of familiar) due to Disney shenanigans (despite Disney themselves saying they were fine with it) and also being from a Square JRPG like Sephy. Even then. Kingdom Hearts is still one of the biggest JRPG franchises not in the game yet, even bigger than the likes of Persona (although still smaller than Minecraft, FF and Tekken which could've been the reason why he's last).

What makes me think he could be the final character, is that people have been asking for him non-stop ever since Sm4sh, and Nintendo themselves are very aware of fan-demand, otherwise they wouldn't have added Banjo. To add to this, I don't think we have really gotten a fan favorite in this pass yet (well maybe Steve, but he's kind of polarizing within certain age groups which imo wouldn't happen with Sora). I forgot to mention, that unlike western favorite picks such as Master Chief and Crash, Sora himself wouldn't share this issue as he has worldwide appeal.

Edit: My reasoning on Shadow and Leon was kinda poor but here's a post that fully explains it: https://smashboards.com/threads/dlc-speculation-discussion-volume-ii.509845/page-1868#post-24472206

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
1. Goku (I don't know why but I have an awful feeling that we all might be sleeping on Goku. Dread him, run from him, he's coming to Smash Bros all the same. I bet Namco accepted Kazuya because they finally convinced Sakurai to add Goku into Smash)
I think it has more to do with Sakurai´s words on the matter. Yes, Sakurai has gone against his word but never in the same smash iteration he gives it. Come next smash game, I could see the possibility though.
5. Sora (The huge demand character): I could see Sora being the last character. Something big to end the biggest smash game ever.
4. Waluigi/Isaac/AT Upgrade (The Unexpected surprise): Sakurai likes to throw curveballs every once in a while and what could be a bigger curveball than an assist trophy upgrade.
3. Capcom/Konami/Bethesda/Koei tecmo (Third party with lack of DLC): All of these companies have no DLC character yet. I could see any oone of them getting the last slot for some nice representation.
2. Decidueye/Choir Boys/Etc. (Second chance representation): Well, we have a lot of second chance characters in this DLC pass so having another one would make sense.
1. Nahobino/Ayumi/Andy/Phoenix Wright/Octoling/Pokemon/Etc. (Shill pick): Character with a game soming soon or released in last few months. The last 2 DLC situations ended up in Corrin/Bayonetta ad Byleth. I wouldnt be surprised if we get another pick to promote a game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it has more to do with Sakurai´s words on the matter. Yes, Sakurai has gone against his word but never in the same smash iteration he gives it. Come next smash game, I could see the possibility though.

5. Sora (The huge demand character): I could see Sora being the last character. Something big to end the biggest smash game ever.
4. Waluigi/Isaac/AT Upgrade (The Unexpected surprise): Sakurai likes to throw curveballs every once in a while and what could be a bigger curveball than an assist trophy upgrade.
3. Capcom/Konami/Bethesda/Koei tecmo (Third party with lack of DLC): All of these companies have no DLC character yet. I could see any oone of them getting the last slot for some nice representation.
2. Decidueye/Choir Boys/Etc. (Second chance representation): Well, we have a lot of second chance characters in this DLC pass so having another one would make sense.
1. Nahobino/Ayumi/Andy/Phoenix Wright/Octoling/Pokemon/Etc. (Shill pick): Character with a game soming soon or released in last few months. The last 2 DLC situations ended up in Corrin/Bayonetta ad Byleth. I wouldnt be surprised if we get another pick to promote a game.
With that many /'s you could very well just have made this a list with only 1 item on it.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
With that many /'s you could very well just have made this a list with only 1 item on it.
Sorry, I couldnt think of a better way to put it up and explain myself. I have a terrible headache right now. The parenthesis would technically be the true ideas of what I think we might get. With the 5 being the least likely and the number 1 being the most likely. I suppose if you prefer, you could also use the 5 I mentioned in the number 1 as the true list.
Edit:
Pic of the Day:

I feel a lot like DK right about now...

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To allow people to see some of their favorite characters that wouldn't have a chance of getting in the first place. With Fire Emblem playable characters being focused on the leads, a Fire Emblem AT would allow non-lead characters, as well as some elements that help make up Fire Emblem's gameplay, to appear in Smash.
  • Like a Pegasus Knight like Caeda or the Whitewing Sisters doing their Triangle Attack.
  • Or a Beast unit like the Laguz from the Radiance games or the Taguel from Awakening.
  • Or a Dancer that buffs your character, like Azura or Ninian.
  • Or an Assassin character like Jaffer that uses the special skill Lethality which is a one-hit kill in Fire Emblem, but could be a very powerful attack in Smash.
A Fire Emblem AT item wouldn't be that much different from an AT or Pokeball, but considering that the Fire Emblem games have a huge cast of characters per game with only the leads really having a chance as playable characters, seeing the non-lead characters as Assists would be great for those who want to see some of their favorite characters or classes in Smash, and showcase some cool stuff from FE to Smash players who don't know Fire Emblem that the lead characters wouldn't show off, like Fire Emblem's version of a Werewolf.
They could just be ATs, though. I mean, I DO wish we had a Pegasus AT. It's not like Chain Chomp, or Elecman, or many of the other ATs are the first character of a series.

It doesn't need to be different beyond specifically summoning a select pool of characters, and it's inherently a gun anyway so there's your "difference"
So, exactly the same.
As a leaker, I can tell you that the next character has normals used with the A button and special moves with the B button, they can also shield and jump.
Captain Toad, disconfirmed.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Safe picks? SAFE picks? Oooh who needs safe picks? It's not like I'm getting brownie points, I'm already impressed I predicted Sephiroth. Knowing Nintendo they'll probably surprise us with Raiden from Metal Gear.

Or hey, what about Ashley for a safe Nintendo character? There's a new WarioWare coming out and she'd got a pretty big fanbase kinda all around tbh. I remember lots of Ashley love during the start of every Smash game since Brawl and in Ultimate, it fell off since the AT reveal.
You know what, I could actually see Raiden based on how the rest of pass 2 has gone. Super unexpected but still from a huge series

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You know what, I could actually see Raiden based on how the rest of pass 2 has gone. Super unexpected but still from a huge series
Considering how much it would piss me off, I'd consider it likely.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
1. Arle: Basically the same reasoning as Inferno7 with Shadow (Sega still having no fighters and no mii in pass 2, Nintendo might want to deal with the same developpers), but i see Puyo puyo as more likely than another Sonic rep. Puyo puyo would be a new universe in Smash. For now the only dlc we had from already represented franchise were Fire emblem three houses and Final fantasy 7. Three houses bring a new cast of characters and worlds so it was easy to do a challenger pack with the game alone, and FF7 had a huge lack of content so it was also easy to do something with it. The thing with Sonic is that there wasn't any new game and he already got more than enough representation. Puyo puyo is also very big in Japan and it's a franchise that Nintendo promote in Nintendo direct most of the time. It would be a solid choice if they want to please the Japanese fanbase, and make the West learn more about that franchise.

2. Hayabusa: Koei tecmo still have no representation despite being a good partner of Nintendo in recent years (developping both Hyrule warriors game, FE warriors and co-developping Three houses). Hayabusa is pretty much their mascot and have a big legacy so I'm sure they would go with him and not a Warriors rep.

3. Ayumi: Could promote the newly release remake and Sakurai wanted her in Melee, so we know he likes the character and the game.

4. Adol Christin: Falcolm could be easy to work with and Ys have a huge legacy. This is just me speculating but Sakurai could be a fan of the franchise (considering that he's a big fan of jrpg like Fire emblem, Xenoblade, Phantasy star and Dragon quest).

5. Chorus kids: This might be biaised because their my most wanted, but now that we have a Tekken rep Chorus kids is one of the only character that was seriously considered for Smash 4 and still not in Ultimate. Considering that Smash 4 isn't that old (unlike Ayumi with Melee), I'm sure Sakurai would still want them so maybe he could have try to convince Nintendo that they would be fun.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully you're right, he's one of my MWs not in my signature because I couldn't find any stock icon png's
I'm not putting too much stock into it though, mainly because MGR is old news and there seems to be problems with the music's copyright
I would love Raiden simply because we would have the chance of getting literally any song from Metal Gear Rising and any choice would be a 10/10 song addition.
Yep, you pretty much can't go wrong with MGR's music. You either get Rules of Nature (the most memed song but imo far from the best), It Has to be this Way (this one is my fav), Stains of Time, Red Sun, and so forth.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Guesses from me:
  • Dixie Kong
  • Paper Mario
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Dragaux
  • Waluigi
  • Chorus Kids
  • Pokemon that isn't one of the only acceptable 3

Or if 3rd Party, which I don't think is happening:
  • Rayman
  • Agumon
  • Frogger
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Spyro

I do think it will be cartoony, and I do think it will be Nintendo

I don't think safe is the right word considering it's either they are in or they are out at this point. Anything goes is now the game. That aside,
  1. Master Chief
  2. Crash Bandicoot
  3. Chosen Undead
  4. Phantasy Star character
  5. Octolings
There is also no such thing "chances," but we say there are.
It's always been in or out.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They could just be ATs, though. I mean, I DO wish we had a Pegasus AT. It's not like Chain Chomp, or Elecman, or many of the other ATs are the first character of a series.
OK, so if your goal was to show off the immense cast of Fire Emblem with the summon concept, here's why you would make it a separate item:

Assist Trophies represent a wide array of series, with the only limitation being "no Pokémon", and even then that's just because Poké Balls exist. Having a high percentage of the Assist Trophy summons be Fire Emblem characters would kind of remove that magic a little since whoever you summon is a bit more predictable since it's highly likely to be a Fire Emblem character. You could mess with the probabilities of the Fire Emblem cast to mitigate that, but then any individual character would be highly unlikely to show up...it'd be a bit of a mess. With them as a separate item, you can add as many as you want/can without screwing with the Assist Trophies.

It's worth noting that you wouldn't have to immediately add a ridiculous number of assists like the 57 Poké Ball summons we have currently. Those were built up over time. Originally, Poké Balls could only summon one of 13 different Pokémon. Similarly, Assist Trophies only had 27 characters when they debuted as opposed to the current 64 characters. 13 might sound like a paltry number in comparison to 57 and 64, but it's still a lot better for the previously stated goal than just 3.

Would it be worth it? It is definitely on the more costly side in terms of items, and the benefit to making it is technically not gameplay related. When it comes down to it though, it really just depends on how much time you can devote to the items, and your priorities as a developer.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
OK, so if your goal was to show off the immense cast of Fire Emblem with the summon concept, here's why you would make it a separate item:

Assist Trophies represent a wide array of series, with the only limitation being "no Pokémon", and even then that's just because Poké Balls exist. Having a high percentage of the Assist Trophy summons be Fire Emblem characters would kind of remove that magic a little since whoever you summon is a bit more predictable since it's highly likely to be a Fire Emblem character. You could mess with the probabilities of the Fire Emblem cast to mitigate that, but then any individual character would be highly unlikely to show up...it'd be a bit of a mess. With them as a separate item, you can add as many as you want/can without screwing with the Assist Trophies.

It's worth noting that you wouldn't have to immediately add a ridiculous number of assists like the 57 Poké Ball summons we have currently. Those were built up over time. Originally, Poké Balls could only summon one of 13 different Pokémon. Similarly, Assist Trophies only had 27 characters when they debuted as opposed to the current 64 characters. 13 might sound like a paltry number in comparison to 57 and 64, but it's still a lot better for the previously stated goal than just 3.

Would it be worth it? It is definitely on the more costly side in terms of items, and the benefit to making it is technically not gameplay related. When it comes down to it though, it really just depends on how much time you can devote to the items, and your priorities as a developer.
A more helpful point of view. Though now I'm questioning why it is an item that would be more suited for FE than for other series, such as Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom