• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
For me the only "safe" picks are any general first party, SEGA or Capcom rep, I don't believe we are going to get a new company, but anything can happen for the last character.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Oh for the love of...if they really wanted a Gen 8 rep, they wouldn't have made a spirit event for Sword and Shield near the end of the Fighter Pass. FE3H had nothing at all until Byleth's reveal, and that's the point people apparently keep forgetting
That makes absolute sense, it really does and I've been standing by that for a while now. But it also made sense that if a Tekken character got into Smash, they would have had the Heihachi costume come with them. So now with basically what I think is the less "surety" of speculation (honestly wouldn't even call it a fanrule, I think it was a much more reasonable assumption than like "Min Min's a spirit though, it couldn't be her.") basically gone, who honestly knows at this point.

We'll all be laughing until Sergeant Cortez Splits Into Battle! anyways ;)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean yeah they’re my most wanted (well, Phoenix is more a very low key want)

but they also don’t have anything really against them chance wise

I’m just a lil baffled also by everyone putting Hayabusa despite the interview but to each their own I guess
Yeah, I mentioned the same thing earlier. That’s one reason I feel like Lu Bu has a pretty good chance. It makes a ton of sense for Koei-Tecmo to get a character but I feel like Hyabusa is out of the running based on developer interviews.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Oh for the love of...if they really wanted a Gen 8 rep, they wouldn't have made a spirit event for Sword and Shield near the end of the Fighter Pass. FE3H had nothing at all until Byleth's reveal, and that's the point people apparently keep forgetting
Two words:

Red Herring

Who knows what they have planned...

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Tbh though I'm feeling Sega. It'd make sense if they've already gotten two Square and two Microsoft characters. It could be Eggman, Arle, Kiryu, SMT rep, Phantasy Star rep I guess, so on. That's where my mind is at but I'm totally expecting another Namco character to surprise me. Although if I'm thinking about it, it's not really a surprise anymore now is it.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So wait I'm unsure on something..

I now see that some of you think that Hayabusa's out of the running because of the interviews that took place.

Do y'all have similar opinions on Doomguy? In other words, do you guys think negotiations for Doomguy as a fighter fell through?

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So wait I'm unsure on something..

I now see that some of you think that Hayabusa's out of the running because of the interviews that took place.

Do y'all have similar opinions on Doomguy? In other words, do you guys think negotiations for Doomguy as a fighter fell through?
Most people have thought Doomguy's been deconfirmed for a while.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
All things considered it's a business decision. It's no surprise Smash Ultimate started off strong with characters like Ridley and King K. Rool, too fan favourite titans in the Smash community and ended off with Isabelle and Incineroar, popular characters but standing nothing to the previous characters in terms of uh wantedness? Not sure that'd a word lol.

The pre-orders must have been coming in hot after E3 of 2018 instead of saving the big fan favourites for last. The same also applies for DLC. Had Byleth been the first DLC fighter revealed, I'd imagine there would be less inclination to buy the season pass as there was when Mr. Popular Joker who was as unexpected as he was unknowingly popular (if Persona had a stronger Nintendo connection, I could see him being a popular fan request before well... he broke down those expectations.)
Business decision this, business decision that, I'll be very blunt here, but I'm tired of hearing this everywhere I go as if it was some sort of godsend revelation
Min Min started the pass, that alone weakens the ''last char bad'' argument by a significant degree. If that was the case they would be smart enough to not pick her first, not to mention Ninty already has FP1 so they wouldn't have to rely on FP2 for sales.
inb4 ''ARMS is hype'', yeah a new IP with no legacy or fully polished gameplay to speak of, that sold 2 million copies, got its comic cancelled and had poor retention of its playerbase is very clearly a hype pick, even when barely anyone asked for Min Min instead of Spring Man before the AT

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Two words:

Red Herring

Who knows what they have planned...
You know, I spent the day after Kazuya's reveal pondering why they didn't include the Heihachi costume with him especially since according to Mr. Sakurai-san himself, the second pass was decided by around Byleth and I don't buy into the whole "switching characters around."

I mean, what if it really was just a red herring? I used to think that there's no way Nintendo gave two dumps about the speculation scene given its size prohably pales in comparison to the average Smash owner but you know, now I've just been thinking what if.

(Realistically though if we do get a SwSh rep, the spirit event was probably not a red herring and just a celebration for the game's launch that would have happened regardless.)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I asked this a while ago but I’ll ask again here. How would everyone feel if we got Jessie and James from Team Rocket as the Pokémon rep? I’m not entirely sure whether Sakurai would count them as video game characters since they come from an anime based on a video game. I think they are definitely iconic enough to make it and would be very different than any other Pokémon character while also giving the series a villain.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
inb4 they pull a Sm4sh and end it off with a hype character that's also broken af
In a perfect world this would've been Dante but not anymore
''i-it's just the rain I swear!''
Rie's safe picks are usually her most wanted.
it's only natural, most people here seem to be biased towards their MWs
I must admit that I may seem kinda biased when it comes to Shadow, but I actually try to provide evidence for my thoughts
Granted, that's mostly because of SEGA's current position in this pass, since I never considered any of my MWs particularly likely;

-Dante: I knew they wouldn't pick him the moment I saw Sephiroth, not to mention that he didn't fit 2nd chance theory and DMC being smaller than both MH and RE put the final nail in the coffin for me. I expected nothing but the mii somehow still hurt me.

-Raiden: Thought he was a sleeper at first except I managed to realize Nintendo doesn't just pick characters at random, since they have to be from active and/or relevant games in most cases unless it's a massive request like Banjo (and even then they were surprised by the reaction).

-Scorpion: Banned in Japan, M-rated series. Next.

-Any first party MW: kek, they either were base game material or nothing

-Lloyd: I thought it was Tales of or Dark Souls, but I leaned towards the latter. Little I knew that Tekken was still on the running.

I actually considered Shadow himself was impossible till I saw that:
-a lot of rules started to get broken
-Second unique 3rd party reps from the same IP are now possible
-Sakurai likes edgy characters (that one took me offguard considering how there aren't a lot of them)
-SEGA suddenly gaining massive traction for the last character.
-2nd chance theory and all that noise
-AT rule apparently doesn't matter considering how it wasn't mentioned during the ARMS reveal
-Anniversary

So the planets pretty much started to align for me to take the iniciative. Not that I think he's a lock or anything but a Sonic rep is highly likely now (spirit event shouldn't be used as an argument when FE had two before 3H tbh).

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Part of me is really hyped for the last character and the other half of me is constantly thinking about the voice slot theory and what if the last character is actually a mute character like the theory suggests which is quite sad and worries me.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I asked this a while ago but I’ll ask again here. How would everyone feel if we got Jessie and James from Team Rocket as the Pokémon rep? I’m not entirely sure whether Sakurai would count them as video game characters since they come from an anime based on a video game. I think they are definitely iconic enough to make it and would be very different than any other Pokémon character while also giving the series a villain.
Good. I'd like it. It'd be unique. I doubt it would happen for fighter 11 because if they did choose a Pokemon rep, it'd be that fricking bunny.

wdym by this? Do you mean the content was finalized around January 2020? Just making sure.
I don't think anyone knows when they were finalized but Sakurai at least told us the pass had been completed so at least some time between its announcement and January 2020 was it settled. But who knows what Nintendo does behind doors. I could be wrong about literally everything I've been speculating lol (but who cares, there's no penalty for being a little in over my head as long as I'm not toxic to others)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Part of me is really hyped for the last character and the other half of me is constantly thinking about the voice slot theory and what if the last character is actually a mute character like the theory suggests which is quite sad and worries me.
If there is any truth to that rumor, I think it probably helps the chances of a classic NES rep like Bill Rizer. If they want to keep him retro feeling, I can totally see him being mute except for the “wow!” death scream.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I personally wouldn't like it
I watched the show and all, but Pokémon really doesn't need another character at this point, much less someone from a repped gen

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally wouldn't like it
I watched the show and all, but Pokémon really doesn't need another character at this point, much less someone from a repped gen
Yeah that makes total sense. I know they technically are Gen 1, but it feels weird saying Jessie and James would count as Gen 1 reps since they are a huge part of every season. Either way, I never really cared much about Gen representation. I’d much rather have my favorites, regardless of what Gen they came from.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that makes total sense. I know they technically are Gen 1, but it feels weird saying Jessie and James would count as Gen 1 reps since they are a huge part of every season. Either way, I never really cared much about Gen representation. I’d much rather have my favorites, regardless of what Gen they came from.
I get you
But still, I don't think I'd like any Pokémon rep at this point regardless of gen-specific representation, since I do believe the last character should ideally come up from a relatively under-repped series or straight up a new IP to further expand the crossover concept.

It's mainly because this is the last character, and I find that other series like Zelda or Kirby deserve some love

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I get you
But still, I don't think I'd like any Pokémon rep at this point regardless of gen-specific representation, since I do believe the last character should ideally come up from a relatively under-repped series or straight up a new IP to further expand the crossover concept.

It's mainly because this is the last character, and I find that other series like Zelda or Kirby deserve some love
Totally, if this is the last fighter, I'd love another series. I get a little giddy seeing a new series icon in the music select menu, it's just a cool experience when a brand new game crosses over into Smash.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I'm not forgetting it at all. I'm just convinced Nintendo won't care. You know what is a bigger deal breaker than the spirit event? We already got a new Pokémon rep in Ultimate. Because the one thing we haven't seen is a repeated newcomer for a series that got one in Ultimate already (not counting echoes).

That would convince me against any other series getting one, but Pokémon has their entire pool of Gen 8 characters just ready to be taken, along with a Galar stage. It's a shoe-in for the next installment, but part of me is just worried they'll stick it as the final DLC because Sword and Shield are 'The' Pokémon Switch titles (at least until Snap showed up), and Nintendo are looking at those 20 million units sold and rubbing their hands.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I get you

I can agree with that. I won’t lie and say I wouldn’t be hyped if one of my favorite Pokémon got in but there are plenty of other games I’d love to see as well that deserve it more.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm not forgetting it at all. I'm just convinced Nintendo won't care. You know what is a bigger deal breaker than the spirit event? We already got a new Pokémon rep in Ultimate. Because the one thing we haven't seen is a repeated newcomer for a series that got one in Ultimate already (not counting echoes).

That would convince me against any other series getting one, but Pokémon has their entire pool of Gen 8 characters just ready to be taken, along with a Galar stage. It's a shoe-in for the next installment, but part of me is just worried they'll stick it as the final DLC because Sword and Shield are 'The' Pokémon Switch titles (at least until Snap showed up), and Nintendo are looking at those 20 million units sold and rubbing their hands.
By the time the next Smash comes around we'll have moved past Gen 8 so I wouldn't consider it a shoo-in for the next Smash

FreeFox

Smash Lord
What is this voice slot theory? I dont think I have heard that one before.
By the time the next Smash comes around we'll have moved past Gen 8 so I wouldn't consider it a shoo-in for the next Smash
I agree. There is a reason we dont have a gen 3 nor a gen 5 pokemon in the game.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I don't think I ever said this here on SmashBoards, but getting AT LEAST 1 Pokemon per Gen would be great.

As FreeFox just said, we have no rep for Gens 3 and 5.

While I have my personal preferences, I doubt those gens would get reps anytime soon.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On a similar note of questionable eligibility for Smash, how does everyone here feel about Dynasty Warriors characters? They are heavily fictionalized versions of real historical figures so I can see an argument either way. If they are deemed eligible, I think there is a very good chance we could get someone from those games for the final DLC (preferably Lu Bu).

Theguy123

Smash Lord
What is this voice slot theory? I dont think I have heard that one before.

Voice slot theory is basically since there’s no more slots for voices in the voice section in smash it means the last character is gonna be mute.

It worked for pass 1. When here released there was 4 slots left with 3 characters remaining meaning 1 was gonna have an alt and it came true. We got terry, banjo and then byleth took the other 2 slots because they had a male and female alt.

So far it’s worked for pass 2 as well but I can’t explain pass 2 as well as pass 1. Someone else probably can.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Frisk seems possible and Toby Fox is ok. Still, with the DLC about to wrap up months from now, Indie characters are more on the unsure side for smash speculation.

Again, there is another potential Smash title if the requested character(s) doesn't make it for Ultimate's roster.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If mute theory is real then like 80% of characters are deconfirmed lol which is quite upsetting if I’m honest. Narrows it down quite a lot since they literally wouldn’t say anything. Not even a tiny reaction to a punch, kick, shot etc. They’d just do nothing. I hope the theory is wrong.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Eh, let’s humor this “last character has to be mute” theory. Who could fit that?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So this question has probably been asked before but who’s is everyone’s top 5 safe picks (picks that are highly likely) for the last spot.
A new Pokemon (35%)

An additional character from Metroid/Bayonetta/Inkling/Zelda/any other franchise not Pokemon getting a new game in 21-22 release cycle (20%)

A character from Shin Megami Tensei (15%)

A new third party rep is Crash Bandicoot/Kratos etc. (20%)

A character not in the previous four categories (10%)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We also know rows can be added to the voice and fighter spirits

let’s go the opposite: someone who can fill that last row AND A WHOLE NEW ROW IN ONE GO with alts alone

assuming that’s possible?

Dukefire

Smash Master
I could somewhat agree with voice theory, but I'm not on it completely as Sakurai has proven many leaks and theories being wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom