• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ehhh, the Aegis girls are arguably moreso the main character than Rex is, once you consider that the first Xenoblade 2 is about them and him, and the prequel doesn't even have him in it.
I think this is straight up not true. They are important to the game's story yes, but it is ultimately Rex's story. He makes most of the decisions (like where to go), and his story arc is given the most weight. Also, a lot of Pyra and Mythra's story beats are tied to Rex (ex. Mythra breaks her seal because his actions resonated with her).

I don't know much about Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country's story, but I do know that it is a prequel in which Rex wasn't born yet, and if I were to hazard a guess, it sets the base game's story in motion, but doesn't actually lead up to it; It just gives further context.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Okay so I missed the discussion but I’d like to mention I don’t think Nintendo can do anything with Mother without Itoi’s involvement; maybe I’m wrong and there are some things they can do, but Itoi and his Hobonichi company or whatever (if not just himself) have the most control it seems which is why they can do stuff without Nintendo’s involvement.

Itoi did also say he was done with the series’ games iirc, however I think he also said someone else could make a Mother 4, and idk if he’d be against remakes or not. Of course, fans may not want an official Mother 4 without Itoi, idk.

Itoi also seems to be good with fan stuff. With this and the ownership stuffs in mind, I guess Mother 4 didn’t have to be canceled in fear of Nintendo Ninjas, haha, but hey at least they’re making a cool original game based on Mother that can be put on Switch and still takes characters and stuff from what was going to be their idea of Mother 4 (I’m referring to the Oddity game).

also put Porky in Smash please and thank you.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
For what its worth, Cloud was by far and away the biggest DLC newcomer reveal for Smash 4...and he ended up being revealed in a random November Direct in 2015.

It would be kinda funny if the last FP2 character actually was an E3 calibur megaton character like Crash or Chief or Sora, after all the doom and gloom about it ending off with a whimper.
Comparing Wii U DLC to Ultimate DLC isn't the best way to do things, imo. We know at some point Mewtwo was going to be the only DLC character. Also, because we were never promised any amount of characters, we have no clue if all the DLC was selected at once or if it was staggered. I'm leaning more on the selection being staggered, especially because it took 6 ****ing months just to get Cloud. It's possible that it was impossible to reveal Cloud at E3 because of the timing.

Even then, let's not pretend that Ryu isn't also an E3 level reveal, as this fanbase would say. Also, in some ways, he is a bigger character than Cloud is.

cothero

Smash Lord
I don't expect another western character being FP11 unless it's Microsoft. Of course it can be any character from any company, but i still think Nintendo will stick to companies already represented in the game as a cheaper and easier alternative to negotiate characters in FP2 - as it has been until now.

Edit: Ubisoft's in, so it could happen too.

Edit 2: Bethesda is from Microsoft now, so yeah.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Relax, that's pretty much the gist of it in Phantasy Star Online 2's gameplay. The Hero practically doing combos with the strength of Ganondorf(aka hitting really hard). In Smash, it'd obviously wouldn't be that powerful for balance sake.

That said, the general idea is that in Phantasy Star Online 2, you can switch classes fairly soon and easily, but you can't switch to another class while on a mission. So you can't "Class change" on the fly. You can only class change before you start a quest or mission. Also, while all the classes have multiple weapons aside from the Luster, they can practically stick to one weapon-type of their choice while the Hero Class actively encourages Weapon Switching.
Yeah, I mean, what's there for Vishera to even do if the character already is "Ganondorf but all attacks are instant"? :4pacman:

Jokes aside, the concept looks very interesting, if a bit technical because of how the switching works. Though the sword would probably also be downscaled. That **** looks bigger than Masamune, even, you can tell they went full anime on this one.

What about Phantom, though? From what I've gathered, it also uses a weapon of each type, but with a Katana, Assault Rifle and Rod. Would that work too? I'm still assuming Hero would get priority (hence the name), but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also, what about stages and music tracks? Do you have posts for that as well? All I know is that one song Max Dood sometimes puts in the background of his videos.

This implies the possible existence of a baby segata
:snakefire:
I think the Mishima family could use some lessons in parenting from Segata Sanshiro. I mean, if his son Shiro has even half of that man's power, that's arguably better results with no need to throw people off of cliffs. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So a little tangent: I've been reflecting on Kazuya's inclusion over the past few days and something occurred to me on a walk earlier, a trend that he continues mirrored by nearly every other character in FP2 thus far that goes hand in hand with the widely accepted perspective that the community "can't guess anything".

The funny thing is the community actually HAS guessed most of these characters, or at least their series, accurately at some point in time. But for some reason or another, discussion about them fell off and new opportunities presented themselves. Let's go over each character thus far and their respective stints as a community talking point.

:ultminmin - ARMS was one of the most commonly discussed series to get a character in base game, up until Sakurai notoriously stated that ARMS came a little bit too late to be fully realized. This didn't stop discussion about a certain other tardy Switch game for DLC, but ARMS fell off likely in part to Spring Man (the perceived posterboy / protagonist) being billed as an Assist Trophy.

:ultsteve: - Everyone remembers the notorious Banjo vs Steve wars, grounded in the assumption that there can be only one Microsoft character. At the time it was (rightfully, apparently) down to these two in particular, but once Banjo was revealed the momentum for Steve just kind of died. Weirder still is how the Microsoft character to gain traction early in FP2 wasn't a rise to prominence from Steve... it was an emergence of Master Chief.

:ultsephiroth: - Alright this one actually blindsided everyone, lmao. He doesn't qualify for this.

:ultpyra: -Similarly to ARMS, talk of a Xenoblade 2 character was consistent during base game speculation and shot down by Sakurai's admitting that both games came too late. Unlike ARMS, discussion of Xenoblade 2 (particularly involving Rex) continued moderately onward through both FP1 and FP2. I'd say out of the characters here Pyra was the one who you could say the "community" actually got right.... kinda.

And then for Kazuya it was obviously Heihachi's costume that nipped Tekken in the bud, which absolutely made sense given what we thought we knew about this process. Why wouldn't they just hold off Tekken content for the Tekken pack? This was foolproof logic up until now, but retrospectively was just another silly and false assumption we made, no matter how logical or sound it was. Prior to this Tekken was arguably seen as THE frontrunner for Namco, a company that many assumed was likely to receive content on the basis of only having one character.

So what am I trying to say through all of this?? Let's just stop assuming things.

The collective community's problem is a short attention span. Your guess during FP1 is apparently no more or less valid than your guess during FP2, and what informs your perspective on what's unlikely now, be it a costume or a spirit event, may not matter at all. Is a single Mii costume enough to stop a series from getting content within the very same pass? Apparently not. Who's to say something like a spirit event holds any more weight than that? Or even a base game Assist Trophy (sacrilege I know)? I really can't judge you for taking those risks at this point - I may disagree with you on some, but my point stands. Go for it, honestly.

Let your ideas live a little longer against the odds, because it's a lot of those movements that came and went that were rewarded in the end. Thanks for reading the whole thing, lmao.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
:ultsephiroth: - Alright this one actually blindsided everyone, lmao. He doesn't qualify for this.
Quick note, but I actually remember a few people talking about Sephiroth and - mostly - Tifa. They were few and far between, though, which I assume is because back then we thought a third party series couldn't get a second non-echo character.

It's also part of why you could see requests for Chun-Li and a second Sonic rep rise after Sephiroth. Discussion is, like you said, directly affected by what people perceive as possible.

cothero

Smash Lord
Wait, i think i missed something. Did Vergeben leaked Master Chief on his official Reddit account before Kazuya reveal?... If it was really him, he might have the right info, but not about FP10.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wait, i think i missed something. Did Vergeben leaked Master Chief on his official Reddit account before Kazuya reveal?... If it was really him, he might have the right info, but not about FP10.
IIRC he had lined up both fighter packs. I wasn't quite there for the discussion but everyone seemed like they thought they knew who the last two characters were.

Faso115

Smash Lord
IIRC he had lined up both fighter packs. I wasn't quite there for the discussion but everyone seemed like they thought they knew who the last two characters were.
Does this have anything to do with the BOTW champions being one character? I think he said that right?

Shroob

Sup?
Vergeben said that Master Chief was coming to Smash, but he also was backing the 4 Champions.

He was incredibly up front for his Master Chief claim, even making a reddit thread about it.

For 4 Champs, someone called him out as a fake leaker, to which he started responding with lyrics from We are the Champions by Queen, exactly 4 lines of it. He probably wanted to point to that and say, "See? I knew."

But, he obviously didn't know.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
friendly reminder that every smash game got a "retro rep" except ultimate
Depends how you define retro and their in the game.

If you count just the year the character was introduce then we got Ridley, K Rool, Simon, Richter, Banjo, Terry, at least half of Hero's alts and Kazuya. Since all of them are from games that are older then Smash itself.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Vergeben said that Master Chief was coming to Smash, but he also was backing the 4 Champions.

He was incredibly up front for his Master Chief claim, even making a reddit thread about it.

For 4 Champs, someone called him out as a fake leaker, to which he started responding with lyrics from We are the Champions by Queen, exactly 4 lines of it. He probably wanted to point to that and say, "See? I knew."

But, he obviously didn't know.
Oh so he was backing both at the same time for the same "slot"? That's even worse.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Depends how you define retro and their in the game.

If you count just the year the character was introduce then we got Ridley, K Rool, Simon, Richter, Banjo, Terry, at least half of Hero's alts and Kazuya. Since all of them are from games that are older then Smash itself.
My personal definition would be A: From a game that's from the 1900's (Essentially N64 and below) and B: Almost/entirely inactive since said game. Banjo's iffy, but he mainly draws from the N64 original and I think he could count.

Paraster

Smash Lord
A thought: some have considered the possibility of Ultimate's final fighter going for a "book-ends" approach (this is one reason I've seen people push Octoling). What if the final reveal trailer recreates the reveal of Ultimate itself by having the character's surroundings suddenly turn dark before we see the Smash logo reflected in their eye?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For me, Retro is "10 years ago". But I also look at it is Retro Style, which includes stuff like Shovel Knight.

It's a matter of opinion, and it's hard to say how Sakurai sees it.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Banjo and Kazooie are old, but they're not retro. Conversely, someone like Shovel Knight is retro, but not old. They're two different things. In Smash terms, "retro rep" typically means "one-off character from the NES era," and Ultimate truly doesn't have that.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For me, Retro is "10 years ago". But I also look at it is Retro Style, which includes stuff like Shovel Knight.

It's a matter of opinion, and it's hard to say how Sakurai sees it.
I’m really old (37) so “retro” to me means SNES or older. You’re right though that it is entirely subjective. It’s still weird to me to hear people say PS1 and N64 is retro but it totally is by most people’s perspectives.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In Smash terms, "retro rep" typically means "one-off character from the NES era," and Ultimate truly doesn't have that.
That's ridiculously restrictive. Ultimate doesn't have one of those, no. It doesn't need one either.

I got no interest in any Takamaru, Mach Rider, or any other 30-year-old failed Nintendo IP.

I’m really old so “retro” to me means SNES or older.
Agreed. Anything before the 3D era.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I’m really old (37) so “retro” to me means SNES or older. You’re right though that it is entirely subjective. It’s still weird to me to hear people say PS1 and N64 is retro but it totally is by most people’s perspectives.
Ironically, they're the same age as you lol.

....and I'm only 7 years behind both of you.

....oh god my bones hurt.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I really don't get why some people seem to be upset about Kazuya because it's not Heihachi. I get it, he's not the posterboy, he's not even the most iconic character in the series, but he is a popular one. Smash isn't always a celebration of the most popular gaming icons and it never was. it's just a celebration of gaming as a whole.

People should be happy that a franchise as big as Tekken is crossing over with Smash instead of getting upset that it's not the most iconic character. Not every character added has to be the guaranteed shoo in of their series. It's interesting when they go the unpredictable route.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then again, 20 years ago might feel better?

But yeah, tis subjective. As someone above said, maybe Sakurai means NES picks? I wish he'd really go over it. Then again, hasn't most picks been more akin to "surprise" without IC's being Retro in his view? So being NES alone might not matter. Who knows, really.

I'm 37 as well, which is part of why I treat the N64 as one. Also, I misspoke. I meant that anything two systems ago I think of as Retro time-wise. But eh, it's probably more on the developer?

Technomage

Smash Champion
I got another question about another potential candidate for an "Equilibrium" trailer involving a DLC character killing both Galeem and Dharkon: Would a Mortal Kombat character make a good candidate for that, since MK characters tend to kill both dark gods (such as Shinnok) and light gods (such as Kronika and Cetrion)?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
And I'm really tired of this debate over who's "deserving" and who isn't. It's so stupid, there's no rules that should dictate what gaming characters can't and can get in. It's a celebration of gaming, anyone is allowed.

If this was a celebration of gaming icons and only the most "deserving" characters could be in, plenty of characters shouldn't even be here. I wish people could at least understand this, when trying to gatekeep.

I'm fine with speculating characters, but it shouldn't turn into a warzone over things that aren't even true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom