• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Yes but that doesn't mean anything. He wasn't on Nintendo consoles, wasn't being pushed on Youtube, Reddit, etc. very much for hype. Look at the reaction of Banjo vs. Joker with most Smash Youtube Channels.

I cannot go to most people in my generation and be like, "Joker is in Smash" and get a great reaction. It really comes down to taste. Go around your High School right now and brag about Joker. I imagine his base is probably small and niche among the group but they would all be excited about Masterchief for example.

I have went through this a 100 times and there is nothing more to say here. It really comes down to tastes and opinions anyways. He is mostly in due to Japan. He wasn't in any top 10 wishlists for the West prior to DLC or Smash Ultimate.
I mean

I'm 30

If I went to my high school and asked kids about video games, I'd probably be arrested.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Matoi being the pick is where I raise my eyebrow, but I think that's just me admittedly being pretty out-of-touch on PSO2 compared to the classic games or even the original PSO
Matoi is basically the deuteragonist of Phantasy Star Online 2 and basically the most important character next to the protagonist.
  1. She starts off as a character with memory loss and a connection to the protagonist in Episode 1, but doesn't do much.
  2. But Episode 2 is where she becomes important as she helps you against the main antagonist of Episode 2 and where you learn your connection to her,
  3. the story practically revolves around you, the protagonist, and her for Episode 3. She's practically the 2nd protagonist.
  4. she's not there for the first half of Episode 4, but has connections to some of the characters' backgrounds and she comes back to help you against the main antagonist's forces as well as the Dark Falz portion that corrupted the main antagonist,
  5. she serves as sort of a "watcher" character keeping tabs on you , the protagonist, when you are in another dimension and keeping tabs on the growing situation outside of it. She then helps in holding back the bad situation happening outside while you are in the dimension trying to stop the source.
  6. She goes back to being the 2nd Protagonist like in Episode 3 where you and her are working together to stop the new threat.
So she honestly makes alot of sense as she is the 2nd most important character next to the Protagonist and is the most recurring NPC character in Phantasy Star Online 2.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I cannot go to most people in my generation and be like, "Joker is in Smash" and get a great reaction. It really comes down to taste. Go around your High School right now and brag about Joker. I imagine his base is probably small and niche among the group but they would all be excited about Masterchief for example.
To be honest with you, it comes off as really condescending when you bring up this age card as if other people on this board aren't adults. Most of them are, many of them pushing 30 and beyond and having lived through some of those same gaming events that you allude to. On top of younger people who are very in tune with gaming history and the historical significance of certain franchises. The whole "you kids" shtick is not only a false generalization of this community but pretty disrespectful toward everyone you're talking to.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yo SKX31 SKX31

• I'm sorry, but why are you promoting a MOVIE or a SONG at a Game Festival? Though I must admit, Weezer's new song sounds great imo
It's cross-promotion effectively, a decently common and simple marketing tactic. Most of those were related to games, as such it is about grabbing attention towards a target audience that might be interested in that subject area.

Chief at E3 and Dixie as the “low key” ending would be a dream scenario for me.

I hate when fake leaks are exactly what I’d want :239:
Remind me to instantly hate any fake leak claiming a Dota 2 character.

ESPECIALLY SINCE it's the kind of out-of-left-field choice that would make people go "Huh?"

I mean

I'm 30

If I went to my high school and asked kids about video games, I'd probably be arrested.
Or worse: one gets called a noob. :roll:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yes but that doesn't mean anything. He wasn't on Nintendo consoles, wasn't being pushed on Youtube, Reddit, etc. very much for hype. Look at the reaction of Banjo vs. Joker with most Smash Youtube Channels.

I have went through this a 100 times and there is nothing more to say here. It really comes down to tastes and opinions anyways. He is mostly in due to Japan. He wasn't in any top 10 wishlists for the West prior to DLC or Smash Ultimate.
He wasn't pushed anywhere because no one thought Persona in Smash was a likely outcome, which is different to "no one wanted him". Well, almost anyone, I guess. I didn't even thought of having a Persona rep in Smash, and I'm a fan of the series and P5 was probably my game of the year for 2017.
Back in the day Black Mage or Chocobo were more pushed as our FF rep instead of Cloud or other popular characters, but do you really think the FF fanbase cares more about a generic Black Mage than Cloud or Sephiroth? If that's what seemed with Smash it was because people was still hung up in the idea of "Nintendo connections", which certainly help, but characters like Cloud were seen as a joke before, so if people wanted a Final Fantasy character they had to push for a different name.

Similar case with Persona, which has been Playstation exclusive with the mainline games so far. Joker easily had the best reactions alongside Banjo, by the way. Just go and look for videos on Youtube.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I mean

I'm 30

Like I said, their appeal is very limited.

I may regret posting this and I don't mean to be negative or insulting towards any stereotype here. Please take it the right way. I am not insulting anyway. Differences are often cool.

I am going to point out Joker. Joker is the type that would appeal mostly to more hardcore gamers, fans of Anime, or Gothic type people. (I would say the fans of Anime probably #1). That covers maybe 30% of the gaming audience. The average person and older fans are likely not to be as attracted to the character. Casual Guys are not going to be attracted to the character like say Link or Masterchief. Casual Girl Gamers are not likely to be attracted to the character like say Isabelle or Pokemon characters. It is a very niche crowd in most global regions.

He doesn't have nostalgia playing in his court either like a character such as Sephiroth has. People growing up playing Nintendo systems have a 5% chance of even playing his game.

Outside of this thread, I have found literally no one that really were excited he made it. I don't see people complaining that much either. Let's move on though, I digress. I was just pointing out that Masterchief and Dixie Kong do not seem to match the trend. It is almost a "too good to be true" kind of link.

You guys are not going to make me overnight fall in love with Joker or his series. Sorry, we just have different tastes. No need to continue to dwell on it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Anyways, false “leak” aside, Dixie feels like a pretty good character to end DLC on. She can also bring in Tropical Freeze music (and a DK stage that isn’t a jungle one) and the idea of an aerial character that can hover using her Helicopter Spin to control her descension would be interesting from a gameplay perspective.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Let me say this y'all
I think that saying that you NEED to be on a Nintendo console at least once makes a character a viable Smash candidate is a fan-rule.
It certainly helps imo, but I don't think you NEED it.

What about you guys?
Though I guess you could argue about the opposite; for instance, I heard that a DMC dev said Dante can't be considered or something until DMC games get on the Switch, though this one I wouldn't take as seriously because Dante may or may not happen, and that according to this video:

Sakurai waited until Joker made a Nintendo appearance for him to try to get him in Smash, succeeding in this subsequent attempt.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You guys are not going to make me overnight fall in love with Joker or his series. Sorry, we just have different tastes. No need to continue to dwell on it.
I'm not trying to make you like Persona 5, I'm telling you that saying the game is only popular in Japan when it has done incredibly well in other regions is misinformed at best

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't think anyone is even trying to do that. At least me. I was just explaining the situation as it is.
No problem. We have had a lot of good discourse lately so no need to get into a bind about Joker. We just have different opinions.

I am NOT a big Anime fan and not necessarily into that culture but I RESPECT it a lot. I think some of the Anime stuff is better than the crap Hollywood puts out and I respect Japanese gaming. It just isn't my style. I don't know a lot of people that fit that bill in my area. It is a classic agree to disagree situation.

We can all still be friends :).

Pillow

Smash Lord
Anyways, false “leak” aside, Dixie feels like a pretty good character to end DLC on. She can also bring in Tropical Freeze music (and a DK stage that isn’t a jungle one) and the idea of an aerial character that can hover using her Helicopter Spin to control her descension would be interesting from a gameplay perspective.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but at this stage of Smash Ultimate's lifecycle, I can't bring myself to be too excited over any first party characters, no matter how deserving. We have already had 2 in FP2 (one being the most recent) and it'd just be an underwhelming followup to Seph and Steve.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean

I'm 30

"Hey kids, ya wanna talk about Smash Bros?"

"Sir, put your hands behind your back, you have the right to remain silent."

"What? I just wanted to guage their interest in the DLC characters for a wacky wahoo pizza man game!"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Let me say this y'all
I think that saying that you NEED to be on a Nintendo console at least once makes a character a viable Smash candidate is a fan-rule.
It certainly helps imo, but I don't think you NEED it.

What about you guys?
Though I guess you could argue about the opposite; for instance, I heard that a DMC dev said Dante can't be considered or something until DMC games get on the Switch, though this one I wouldn't take as seriously because Dante may or may not happen, and that according to this video:

Sakurai waited until Joker made a Nintendo appearance for him to try to get him in Smash, succeeding in this subsequent attempt.
First of all, that was Itsuno, head of the series since 3. Second, the first game's port was announced shortly after meaning he was likely being cheeky knowing that there were already plans for a Switch port. Third, if Persona Q2 was so important, it'd have content in Smash yet it has nothing, not even a mention. Sakurai just liked P5

Louie G.

Smash Hero
All due respect man, I’m trying not to be rude but you’re the one who keeps starting this conversation about east vs west. Nearly every day now we have the same conversation, where you suggest Joker is only popular in Japan and people correct you on that. To put it bluntly, nobody cares if you don’t like Joker. They’re just informing you on something you don’t seem to know much about when you misrepresent the character.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm not trying to make you like Persona 5, I'm telling you that saying the game is only popular in Japan when it has done incredibly well in other regions is misinformed at best
I think that is fair. I had more issues in the fact that the character really isn't nostalgic like a Simon Belmont or a Ryu/Ken situation, isn't really a frontrunner for Nintendo (granted Cloud and Seph fit this bill as well but they had FF7 just ported and they are nostalgic), and really just wasn't in high demand or requested by Smash fans.

Thanks for the response.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In an odd twist it will turn out that Sakurai engineered 2B appearing in Fall Guys, so that her inclusion in the Switch version would/will justify her upcoming Smash reveal via the absolute filmiest (yet technically valid) appearance on a Nintendo console example ever.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think they get called simps now

But apparently I'm a boomer so don't take my word for it

I mean my name has l33tsp34k in it
Y'all ain't a simp unless you're donating to Vtubers.

Back in my day, simp just meant you sucked at rapping.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't think anyone is even trying to do that. At least me. I was just explaining the situation as it is.
Yeah, dude can proceed to not like Joker/persona 5/Persona in general all he wants, but it doesn't change reality or the fact that Persona has become popular worldwide. he's got to not think his personal feelings reflect everyone else's.

I mean, I'm someone that really didn't want Steve in Smash, but I never deluded myself into thinking Minecraft wasn't a stupidly huge franchise that appealed to people of various age groups.

volbound1700

Smash Master
All due respect man, I’m trying not to be rude but you’re the one who keeps starting this conversation about east vs west. Nearly every day now we have the same conversation, where you suggest Joker is only popular in Japan and people correct you on that. To put it bluntly, nobody cares if you don’t like Joker. They’re just informing you on something you don’t seem to know much about when you misrepresent the character.
Provide me one Smash Ballot Poll anywhere that had Joker in their top 10 or top 15 most wanted characters for Smash prior to his release? Provide me with a major Smash Youtube channel that talked about him and pushed for him in Smash?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Provide me one Smash Ballot Poll anywhere that had Joker in their top 10 or top 15 most wanted characters for Smash prior to his release? Provide me with a major Smash Youtube channel that talked about him and pushed for him in Smash?
You're mixing up ballot and poll again, completely ignoring the whole "People were silent as they felt there was no chance" part like how you never saw Cloud on those fan polls and how Alucard was never on them despite Sakurai outright saying Alucard had the most requests of any CastleVania character. You really need to just accept people love Persona 5

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
First of all, that was Itsuno, head of the series since 3. Second, the first game's port was announced shortly after meaning he was likely being cheeky knowing that there were already plans for a Switch port. Third, if Persona Q2 was so important, it'd have content in Smash yet it has nothing, not even a mention. Sakurai just liked P5
So thank you for clarifying the DMC information! I couldn't find an article that contained names like Itsuno and whatnot.

In response to what you said about Persona Q2, I agree with your claim that it would have had Smash content if more seriously considered.
To strengthen this response, I noticed that the game has its own theme song called "Road Less Taken" which, guess what, didn't come with Joker.

Who knows? I'd like to believe myself that Sakurai just said "I think Joker's cool, let's make him our Atlus/SEGA rep for this pass" could have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom