• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Even though it's like, 99.9% fake, I wouldn't complain about a Dixie/Chief reveal tbh.

Dixie's obviously one of the last 'big' Nintendo characters not in Smash in some form aside from a .png atm, and Chief is Chief, doesn't need an explanation.

Granted, like 99.9% sure it's fake.

Would be kinda ironic that if it were real, at all 3 1st party characters this pass are girls though.
Chief at E3 and Dixie as the “low key” ending would be a dream scenario for me.

I hate when fake leaks are exactly what I’d want :239:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also y'all I wanna bring up one leak because of something

The Ryu Hayabusa and Phantasy Star Character in Smash 4chan leak from a while ago:

Besides these two fighters, it claims that more fighters are on the way. Is this the first somewhat correct leak we've gotten that could also get right the fact that EVEN more fighters are on the way?
As much as I dislike Hayabusa for mostly personal reasons I’d accept it if it meant still more were on the way

only thing is I take Sakurai for his word when he says it’s ending soon; and the Phantasy Star rep seems a little TOO left field to be believable

volbound1700

Smash Master
Masterchief and Dixie Kong would both be additions that I would love but I don't see it happening. Both are Western and do NOT appeal to Japanese audience very much. I think we will get one that is Western and one that is more popular in Japan. I don't see two Western characters as the last two picks. Then again, I could be surprised.

Shroob

Sup?
Because it got correct how we would get Mario Golf, Skyward Sword HD, and the Famicom Detective Series info this year.
We're both Mario Golf and SSHD super leaked a lot?

Regardless, I don't see them pulling the "MORE IN DEVELOPMENT!" when Sakurai's gone on for 3 months saying non-stop this is it, if he were to do that, you'd assume it'd be riiiiight at the end.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Even though it's like, 99.9% fake, I wouldn't complain about a Dixie/Chief reveal tbh.

Dixie's obviously one of the last 'big' Nintendo characters not in Smash in some form aside from a .png atm, and Chief is Chief, doesn't need an explanation.

Granted, like 99.9% sure it's fake.

Would be kinda ironic that if it were real, at all 3 1st party characters this pass are girls though.
Pass 1 had one female alt and Kazooie whose attached to Banjo, so she's probably just half a character at best.
Meanwhile Pass 2 has four females counting Pyra and Mythra as separate, plus Alex as an alt for Steve.

Glad they took criticism regarding the biggest problem with Pass 1 to heart :4pacman:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Regardless, I don't see them pulling the "MORE IN DEVELOPMENT!" when Sakurai's gone on for 3 months saying non-stop this is it, if he were to do that, you'd assume it'd be riiiiight at the end.
Was Mario Golf leaked? I saw so many Golden Sun fans insist it was physically impossible

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Leaks? Well, I suppose we are less than a week away from E3. Are any of them credible in such a way that I should leave to avoid spoilers?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
If MORE are really coming, I'd want this at E3:

CP10 ONLY, but follow the character's reveal up with the announcement of more fighters.

Do what they did in September 2019 right after Terry's reveal.

This is of course, hypothetical.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If MORE are really coming, I'd want this at E3:

CP10 ONLY, but follow the character's reveal up with the announcement of more fighters.

Do what they did in September 2019 right after Terry's reveal.

This is of course, hypothetical.
…who is that man and why is he staring into my soul I am uncomfortable

Ivander

Smash Legend
  • Also, yea I DID NOT expect 2B in Fall Guys, props to Square
I mean, with how much they are advertising that, that's not as surprising as Konami giving Fall Guys a Bomberman costume.
only thing is I take Sakurai for his word when he says it’s ending soon; and the Phantasy Star rep seems a little TOO left field to be believable
Could you define "left-field"? Like....too unlikely?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Skyward Sword HD was less of a leak and more just a forgone conclusion because they already did remakes/remasters of all the other 3d Zelda games before it plus it being Zelda's 35th anniversary.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Regardless of the leak's credibility. would absolutely be up for a Dixie Kong / Master Chief combo. Always up for more Mario and Donkey Kong characters in Smash, and while I'm unfamiliar with Halo I'm sure Chief would be fun to use as well.
It just seems so out of place with how the DLC has trended lately. A Western FPS character that is immensely popular with older fans and a Western Platformer that is not that popular in Japan and is more nostalgic and popular once again with older fans.

Everything lately has trended towards characters that are popular in Japan and/or popular with younger generations.

ZelDan

Smash Master
There was murmurs of Camelot working on something new iirc, which along with the copyright renewal for GS had people in a frenzy iirc.
Well, that Nate leaker said that there wasn't a new Mario Golf game or that he didn't hear about it back in 2019 IIRC, which only heightened GS fans hopes (including me, won't even lie).

But apparently that statement was only meant to be applicable for specifically 2019, as February 2021 clearly showed us.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Also y'all I wanna bring up one leak because of something

The Ryu Hayabusa and Phantasy Star Character in Smash 4chan leak from a while ago:

Besides these two fighters, it claims that more fighters are on the way. Is this the first somewhat correct leak we've gotten that could also get right the fact that EVEN more fighters are on the way?
I don't really believe that leak, since I do not see more fighters happening (that, and I don't expect Ryu Hayabusa happening either; maybe a Phantasy Star could still happen, since there are no interviews about it in Smash).

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
and the Phantasy Star rep seems a little TOO left field to be believable
As a Big SEGA Fan (TM), I can vouch for Phantasy Star making perfect sense - at least IMO

Matoi being the pick is where I raise my eyebrow, but I think that's just me admittedly being pretty out-of-touch on PSO2 compared to the classic games or even the original PSO

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It just seems so out of place with how the DLC has trended lately. A Western FPS character that is immensely popular with older fans and a Western Platformer that is not that popular in Japan and is more nostalgic and popular once again with older fans.

Everything lately has trended towards characters that are popular in Japan and/or popular with younger generations.
I mean, are there really any characters in the DLC that are exclusively popular in Japan? I guess Hero, but while some may be more popular in other regions, pretty much everyone is acclaimed worldwide from what I've seen.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I mean, are there really any characters in the DLC that are exclusively popular in Japan? I guess Hero, but while some may be more popular in other regions, pretty much everyone is acclaimed worldwide from what I've seen.
I would say Byleth, Mythra/Pyra, and Joker are all pretty favorable to Japan and New Audiences. Most of the older Smash fans were really not into them. These characters weren't on N64, SNES, NES, or any of the past Nintendo systems as I have previously stated. We were not clamoring for these characters. That is alright, we are the generation that is stepping out of Smash. It makes more sense to add these characters.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I would say Byleth, Mythra/Pyra, and Joker are all pretty favorable to Japan and New Audiences. Most of the older Smash fans were really not into them. These characters weren't on N64, SNES, NES, or any of the past Nintendo systems as I have previously stated. We were not clamoring for these characters. That is alright, we are the generation that is stepping out of Smash. It makes more sense to add these characters.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Xenoblade 2, and Persona 5 we're really popular outside of Japan though? None of these seem like they were popular "exclusively in Japan."

Shroob

Sup?
You know that Persona 5 was put up for Game of the Year at The Game Awards, an American event, right?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Most of the older Smash fans were really not into them.
I've seen older Smash fans cringe at newer characters like Steve
I've seen zoomers and cringe millennials like ConnorEatsPants complain about EVERY non-platformer character or boomer characters

It's a mess, but an inevitable one.
No Smash fan is perfect, I suppose.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The new audiences bit I understand but it's your Japan argument I'm not getting. Maybe Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Persona 5 are more popular in Japan, but that doesn't mean they aren't incredibly popular in other regions. I mean it's not like the only reason they chose Terry was to specifically cater to Central American players.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You know that Persona 5 was put up for Game of the Year at The Game Awards, an American event, right?
Yes but that doesn't mean anything. He wasn't on Nintendo consoles, wasn't being pushed on Youtube, Reddit, etc. very much for hype. Look at the reaction of Banjo vs. Joker with most Smash Youtube Channels.

I cannot go to most people in my generation and be like, "Joker is in Smash" and get a great reaction. It really comes down to taste. Go around your High School right now and brag about Joker. I imagine his base is probably small and niche among the group but they would all be excited about Masterchief for example.

I have went through this a 100 times and there is nothing more to say here. It really comes down to tastes and opinions anyways. He is mostly in due to Japan. He wasn't in any top 10 wishlists for the West prior to DLC or Smash Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom