• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Does anyone think a playable Indie fighter is still possible?
I'd say yes, but on the other hand my most wanted is an indie so I'm probably a bit biased in that regard
Just wondering, but, are there any “reboot” videogame character designs that are more popular than the original? Online discussion gives the impression that all reboot designs are terrible, but, then again, if people like a reboot design, they would just call it the main design and ignore that it’s a reboot, wouldn’t they?
The details are a bit fuzzy continuity-wise, but like
1623175790118.png

This isn't really what most people think of when they envision Reimu

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Is Nidalee popular at all? I think she’s my favorite of all the human characters. I’ve always been a big fan of huntress characters like H’aanit, Zhu Rong, and Maya and it would be cool to get a character like that in Smash.
Perhaps? I don't see her being used on marketing as much as some others, but Nidalee is definitely one of those Champions that is really important to League's history, like Ryze or Lee Sin.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
As someone who likes a lot of Capcom stuff I don't think a capcom character is happening. The mii costumes tend to overlap with that dlc fighters company so it would've made more sense to have that Capcom character be the latest dlc fighter or wait to use those mii costumes for the capcom character.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Who are the coolest champions? Who are the champions most likely to be added?
My personal favorites are Kha’Zix, Nocturne, Nasus, Cho’gath, Nidalee, and Zed but I don’t know if any of them are very likely.

I’m kind of curious if Smash is big enough to influence the popularity of a LoL character. For example, if a less popular character like Nocturne was chosen for Smash, Do you think just being in Smash would then make it popular? I think LoL is bigger than Smash overall so I’m not sure how much of a difference it would actually make.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As someone who likes a lot of Capcom stuff I don't think a capcom character is happening. The mii costumes tend to overlap with that dlc fighters company so it would've made more sense to have that Capcom character be the latest dlc fighter or wait to use those mii costumes for the capcom character.
Counterpoint: All of the Capcom costumes were tie-ins to recently released games. And they're not going to change their DLC schedule to conform to a few Mii costumes.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
A list of characters from LoL I would find "likely"

Garen, Ezreal, Ahri, Teemo, Yasuo, Darius, Lee Sin.

There are def more, but these are front runners in my eyes.
Ahri and Yasuo look the coolest from that list. Lee Sin could be cool if they add more sonic abilities.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something with noting with the whole Mii Costume thing is that we actually have had Miis and fighters from the same company come separately; The Virtua Fighter Miis didn't come with Joker. On the other hand, having entire wave of Capcom Miis come with an unrelated fighter is still kinda eyebrow-raising, even if they're promotional.

Overall, I'd say a Capcom fighter is possible, but I'm still kinda hesitant to list one in my predictions.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Something with noting with the whole Mii Costume thing is that we actually have had Miis and fighters from the same company come separately; The Virtua Fighter Miis didn't come with Joker. On the other hand, having entire wave of Capcom Miis come with an unrelated fighter is still kinda eyebrow-raising, even if they're promotional.

Overall, I'd say a Capcom fighter is possible, but I'm still kinda hesitant to list one in my predictions.
There is also the Capcom leaks which did not reference Nintendo as well as the fact Capcom already has 3 characters. To my knowledge, no other third-party company has more than three (3) characters.

Granted, these are all rules that sound "soft" or "breakable"

Last edited:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
There is also the Capcom leaks which did not reference Nintendo as well as the fact Capcom already has 3 characters. To my knowledge, no other third-party company has more than three (3) characters.

I mean, the Capcom leaks didn't leak Ryu and Chun-Li in Fortnite, yet here we are.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

And the promotional content in Smash usually comes a couple of months after. Getting some Mii Costumes to tie into future releases is definitely fishy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Those leaks failed to mention the new Arthur costume and renegotiations of the MH ones, so absence can't be used as evidence

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I know we had a discussion some time back about how odd it was Chun never followed Ryu into Smash considering they are essentially the 'safe two' in any crossover the other appears in. Fortnite and even more recently in Battle for the Grid they both appear at the same time as playable Rangers. Chun not being the second SF character in Smash still feels so odd.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I know we had a discussion some time back about how odd it was Chun never followed Ryu into Smash considering they are essentially the 'safe two' in any crossover the other appears in. Fortnite and even more recently in Battle for the Grid they both appear at the same time as playable Rangers. Chun not being the second SF character in Smash still feels so odd.
It really does show just how much time reussing assets can save, people say Ken's very unique which is fair, but he still shares like 90% of the animations

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Who are the coolest champions? Who are the champions most likely to be added?
A list of characters from LoL I would find "likely"

Garen, Ezreal, Ahri, Teemo, Yasuo, Darius, Lee Sin.

There are def more, but these are front runners in my eyes.
Ahri and Yasuo look the coolest from that list. Lee Sin could be cool if they add more sonic abilities.
Aside from those, I'd say... Jinx, Lux... maybe Ryze, Ekko, Miss Fortune or Katarina. Kai'sa or Akali, in some timeline out there, maybe.

In fact, I'd argue that aside from some supports and most non-humanoids besides Teemo, there's plenty of decently popular choices.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Move set, Move set, Move set. Ken is basically a clone of Ryu so it took less time then Chun Li. Chun Li is pretty iconic though. I could see her sneaking into Smash in a future title or if there is more DLC.

Sad that Mortal Kombat doesn't stand a chance in h*ll of getting into Smash because it is the second most popular Fighting Franchise after Street Fighter (well maybe third if you include Smash). The series has spawned movies, shows, toys, etc.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
It really does show just how much time reussing assets can save, people say Ken's very unique which is fair, but he still shares like 90% of the animations
That is a desireable outcome, if anything. Though Ken being an 'echo' he plays quite different and has more than enough differences to give him a wholly unique vibe. And to be less hyperbolic, he does share far less than 90% of the animations of Ryu as the majority of his normals (And by extension combos) are all different and he even has a unique animated F Smash.

Either way, Ryu HEAVILY reduced Ken's dev time so it's no wonder he made it in instead of Chun (Though, in fairness, Ken is equally 'viable' as the second SF character and makes sense either way. Chun usually just has the distinction of being Ryu's 'interdimensional travel buddy').

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Sad that Mortal Kombat doesn't stand a chance in h*ll of getting into Smash because it is the second most popular Fighting Franchise after Street Fighter (well maybe third if you include Smash). The series has spawned movies, shows, toys, etc.
I mean who knows. It's unlikely, sure, but at least imo, no video games character has a 0% chance.

Also, on another note, we can't assume this "Rule of Three" thing

Like how Capcom, SEGA, Square Enix, and Konami all have 3 characters and stuff and how THAT'S the limit.
That could easily be broken, e.g. We get Dante, oh look Capcom gets a 4th character

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Counterpoint: All of the Capcom costumes were tie-ins to recently released games. And they're not going to change their DLC schedule to conform to a few Mii costumes.
Considering how often they advertise stuff well after the games release( ex byleth) that would be pretty consistent with how they've been doing things

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Smashboards is no longer dead, hooray.

I know last week I was pessimistic on double dips, but there is one double dip that I find interesting: Square.

Remember when Vergeben said that he heard Erdrick, Lumnary, Sephiroth, and Chrono the most from his Square sources? In hindsight, I think that is something to entertain, even if I still am pessimistic on double dips. Chrono Trigger also lines up well with what I am expecting for CP11, a smaller reveal at the end of the day.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That is a desireable outcome, if anything. Though Ken being an 'echo' he plays quite different and has more than enough differences to give him a wholly unique vibe. And to be less hyperbolic, he does share far less than 90% of the animations of Ryu as the majority of his normals (And by extension combos) are all different and he even has a unique animated F Smash.

Either way, Ryu HEAVILY reduced Ken's dev time so it's no wonder he made it in instead of Chun (Though, in fairness, Ken is equally 'viable' as the second SF character and makes sense either way. Chun usually just has the distinction of being Ryu's 'interdimensional travel buddy').
You ever look at universal animations like swimming, sleeping, stunned, hitting the screen, all that jazz? Ken's are a 1 to 1 with Ryu just like the other echoes, which just goes to show how much time gets saved

Shroob

Sup?

I know last week I was pessimistic on double dips, but there is one double dip that I find interesting: Square.

Remember when Vergeben said that he heard Erdrick, Lumnary, Sephiroth, and Chrono the most from his Square sources? In hindsight, I think that is something to entertain, even if I still am pessimistic on double dips. Chrono Trigger also lines up well with what I am expecting for CP11, a smaller reveal at the end of the day.
Crono would be the GOAT reveal but it seems like such an unreachable dream.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

"Oh man it could be Reimu, it could be Chief, Hayabusa, Adol, Dante, anybody!"

Sakurai in your timeline:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And the promotional content in Smash usually comes a couple of months after. Getting some Mii Costumes to tie into future releases is definitely fishy.
To be fair, a Mii Costume's probably easier to slap together than an entire content pack. I think Miis and Spirits are something they can be more casual about, since they're ultimately minor little things rather than the major hype-pushers.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, I was told that only 50-60% of Capcom's actual files were obtained from the leak so there is stuff they missed.
Yep, as far as I know not everything that was hacked from Capcom has been leaked to the public.

And well, as others have said the data didn't mention anything about Ryu/Chun-Li in Fortnite or Arthur's Mii Costume.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Crono would be dope because he might come with Robo’s theme which would be the closest we’d get to the Rick-Roll in smash,
"Oh man it could be Reimu, it could be Chief, Hayabusa, Adol, Dante, anybody!"

Sakurai in your timeline:

But on the real, this might be slept on a bit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom