• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Thing is, it could very well not.

Yes, even I think that a double reveal is likely, but they don't have to, especially with how loaded the presentation will be.

We'd all like them to drop both characters and end this dog and pony show once and for all, but to bank on a double reveal 100% happening is shortsighted.
True, there are two characters left and it is just as likely they split them up as reveal both at E3. My point is that one of the last two characters will be at E3 so the thought is that it will at least be a character that might somewhat appeal to Western Audiences.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It’s just good business to make fans happy. What that entails is up to debate, but it would feel weird if a game as celebrated as Ultimate were to end on a sour note.
And yet the final 2 fighters in the base game were Kencineroar, and the final character in FP1 was Byleth, and the first character in FP2 was Min.

You've already bought into the DLC, what happens next is up in the air.
There is a huge middle ground between having the last two characters be those that make Byleth look well received in comparison and Sonic 2.0 in terms of hype. You can have the last two characters be popular enough characters that makes a lot of people happy (like Isaac and Bandana Dee hypothetically speaking) without either being considered to be “big headliners” in the eyes of the fanbase. There is nuance in terms of fan reception.

I mean, Spiral Mountain really isn't fun unless you get off from motion sickness.
I like that stage and I don’t have motion sickness.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Seeing some palm strikes, swipes, kicks, and whatever the hell Rob does in there.
Rob does a punch too and if you count a small kick as different enough then surely the swordies are fine too as most have different animations such as unique swings, chops, kicks, etc. Unless of course, this is another attempt at being dishonest
Jab is whats used to define the a press move.
Jab
noun
a quick, sharp blow, especially with the fist.
"a jab in the stomach"

Pillow

Smash Lord
And yet the final 2 fighters in the base game were Kencineroar, and the final character in FP1 was Byleth, and the first character in FP2 was Min.

You've already bought into the DLC, what happens next is up in the air.
At the time all those characters were announced we already knew more were coming. I’m not trying to imply what sort of ending we’ll get, and Nintendo definitely been known to make some questionable decisions in the past, but at the same time I think that a single previous Smash installment where we had dlc is not enough of a pattern to draw the conclusion that Smash “always ends lowkey” and we’ve never had a Smash game like Ultimate before.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Rob does a punch too and if you count a small kick as different enough then surely the swordies are fine too as most have different animations such as unique swings, chops, kicks, etc. Unless of course, this is another attempt at being dishonest
Jab
noun
a quick, sharp blow, especially with the fist.
"a jab in the stomach"
If almost all brawler moves could be described as "punch in this direction" while focusing on being long ranged and disjointed with extremely similar animations to other brawler characters the comparison would work.

Your guys posts about the jabs are pedantic. Everyone calls what happens when you press the a button a jab even though that's not what it literally means. Getting a happy birthday in marvel doesn't mean it only happens when it's your birthday.

SKX31

Smash Master
So the full versions of all the Guilty Gear Strive character themes are on youtube now, this is your friendly reminder that Sol is one of the best potential newcomers we could get
View attachment 318196
Thank you all for agreeing
I'm not resting until we have an Order Sol echo who has so much shieldstun that you could go get breakfast and still have the opponent be in shieldstun, while Order Sol himself dies to a jab at 50 %.

Obviously what we need is more cartoony sword fighters and more anime brawlers.
He's in.

:4pacman:

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Mii swordfighter is actually like 40-50 different characters because their sword looks different in most of the costumes.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
How old is Goku? - Dragon Ball Guru

Har har har.
You what hurt?
The fact that no matter how iconic Goku is, in the impossible idea that he'd get in with Sakurai one day getting high as **** or Nintendo forcing him to do so with a glock against his cats head
People would still complain or argue that he's not famous enought or whatnot.

Technomage

Smash Champion
hm.. fair
I'll take Skylanders Spyro as an alt, personally.

Also, another cool new weapon:
nun chucks
Speaking of Mortal Kombat, here's a funny weapon:

Mod Edit: Mortal Kombat Fatalities aren’t appropriate for the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I feel like we're all missing the true crime here.
Hammer users: :ultkingdedede::ulticeclimbers:
Has a single hammer attack: :ultkirby::ultisabelle::ultgnw::ultbowserjr:
Has a hammer but refuses to use it for some reason: :ultmario::ultluigi::ulttoonlink:
Hammerless trash peasants::ultzss::ultzelda::ultyoshi::ultwolf::ultwiifittrainer::ultwario::ultvillager::ultyounglink::ult_terry::ultsteve::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultrichter::ultsimon::ultshulk::ultsheik::ultdarksamus::ultsamus::ultsephiroth::ultken::ultryu::ultchrom::ultroy::ultrosalina::ultrobin::ultrob::ultridley::ultpyra::ultpokemontrainer::ultdarkpit::ultpit::ultpiranha::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultolimar::ultness::ultminmin:ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultbrawler::ultmewtwo::ultmetaknight::ultmegaman::ultlucina::ultmarth::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultlittlemac::ultlink::ultkrool::ultjoker::ultjigglypuff::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultike::ulthero2::ultgreninja::ultganondorf::ultfox::ultfalco::ultduckhunt::ultdoc::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultfalcon::ultbyleth::ultbowser::ultbayonetta::ultbanjokazooie:
You missed some characters that have used hammers in their home series but not in Smash including but not limited to:
:ultlink: (Sledgehammer in BOTW)
:ultsteve: (Great Hammer and its uniques in Minecraft Dungeons)
:ultminmin (Whammer and Kablammer)
:ultinkling: (Ultra Stamp in Splatoon 2‘s patches, although this might not count since the Inkling in Smash is specifically the one from Splatoon 1, who appears as an NPC in Octo Expansion but isn’t seen using the Ultra Stamp)
:ultvillager: (Same squeaky hammer as the one Isabelle uses, in New Leaf)
:ultpit: (Mallet in the original Kid Icarus, although Smash references this via his Hammer item animation)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You what hurt?
The fact that no matter how iconic Goku is, in the impossible idea that he'd get in with Sakurai one day getting high as **** or Nintendo forcing him to do so with a glock against his cats head
People would still complain or argue that he's not famous enought or whatnot.
I will **** anyone up who complains that Goku is not famous enough. I'm fine with anyone making a complaint about Goku not originating from a video game and whatnot, but PLEASE do not undervalue the character's importance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But, Smash aside... the point of Soulcalibur is to be a weapons-based, late middle ages/Renaissance-era fighter. It's like saying "well all the characters in Bloody Roar are transformation characters and they get on fine". All these series set out to accomplish different things. It's apples and oranges.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You guys want a new unique weapon in smash:

I give you
the harpoon gun
it's Gill Grunt time
Heck yeah.

FEAR THE FISH!
I'm not resting until we have an Order Sol echo who has so much shieldstun that you could go get breakfast and still have the opponent be in shieldstun, while Order Sol himself dies to a jab at 50 %.

He's in.

:4pacman:
Oh no! It's Banjo's evil twin, Danjo!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I feel like we're all missing the true crime here.
Hammer users: :ultkingdedede::ulticeclimbers:
Has a single hammer attack: :ultkirby::ultisabelle::ultgnw::ultbowserjr:
Has a hammer but refuses to use it for some reason: :ultmario::ultluigi::ulttoonlink:
Hammerless trash peasants::ultzss::ultzelda::ultyoshi::ultwolf::ultwiifittrainer::ultwario::ultvillager::ultyounglink::ult_terry::ultsteve::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultrichter::ultsimon::ultshulk::ultsheik::ultdarksamus::ultsamus::ultsephiroth::ultken::ultryu::ultchrom::ultroy::ultrosalina::ultrobin::ultrob::ultridley::ultpyra::ultpokemontrainer::ultdarkpit::ultpit::ultpiranha::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultolimar::ultness::ultminmin:ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultbrawler::ultmewtwo::ultmetaknight::ultmegaman::ultlucina::ultmarth::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultlittlemac::ultlink::ultkrool::ultjoker::ultjigglypuff::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultike::ulthero2::ultgreninja::ultganondorf::ultfox::ultfalco::ultduckhunt::ultdoc::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultfalcon::ultbyleth::ultbowser::ultbayonetta::ultbanjokazooie:
Bowser Jr. has multiple hammer attacks, as his Up Air, Up B and Pummel all use a hammer. The true crime is that the Up Air and Up B are reskinned into the Koopalings’ staves in Ultimate when a Koopaling alt is selected.

toonito

Smash Ace
Sol's my most wanted but he'd probably be worse received than Terry due to him taking up one of the 2 final slots for Ultimate, a game many feel is the best shot for their favorites to get in due to the uncertainty of how Smash 6/Ultimate Deluxe will look. Also another fighting game character AND an anime swordsman?! This might be a Smasher's worst nightmare (well 3rd now behind Scrimblo Bimblo and JRPG Person apparently)

that being said, bring on Sol, Sakurai! MOAR INPUTS, AUTO TURNAROUND, ROMAN CANCELS, DRAGON INSTALLS, AIR DASHES, TENSION GAUGES, INSTANT KILLS, HARD ROCK! BAYONETTA 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
who cares if the move functions are similar, they still look different and I just wanna play as my favorite scrimblo bimblos/cereal mascots and mcjrpg guys.
I stayed out of this little spat on twitter yesterday but if these terms are sticking around that's gonna be a bummer. It's playground shenanigans.

Can't we just go back to simpler times and call each character [their most distilled surface quality] Marth again? You know like last time, how we got Book Marth, Girl Marth, Fire Marth, Dragon Marth, Big Sword Marth, and Round Yellow Ghost-Eating Marth?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But, Smash aside... the point of Soulcalibur is to be a weapons-based, late middle ages/Renaissance-era fighter. It's like saying "well all the characters in Bloody Roar are transformation characters and they get on fine". All these series set out to accomplish different things. It's apples and oranges.
Yes, but when your goal is to make a fighting game focused on swords, you HAVE to prove that swordfighters are not automatically clones of one another.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
who cares if the move functions are similar, they still look different and I just wanna play as my favorite scrimblo bimblos/cereal mascots and mcjrpg guys.
I stayed out of this little spat on twitter yesterday but if these terms are sticking around that's gonna be a bummer. It's playground shenanigans.

Can't we just go back to simpler times and call each character [their most distilled surface quality] Marth again? You know like last time, how we got Book Marth, Girl Marth, Fire Marth, Dragon Marth, Big Sword Marth, and Round Yellow Ghost-Eating Marth?
Smash fans are so starving for information that they've decided to now name their characters after foods like Cereals and Mcdonalds.

After being told not to play with their food as younglings, they've now decided to insert food into their play as adults.

It's like Poetry. It rhymes - george lucas lol | Meme Generator

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Sol's my most wanted but he'd probably be worse received than Terry due to him taking up one of the 2 final slots for Ultimate, a game many feel is the best shot for their favorites to get in due to the uncertainty of how Smash 6/Ultimate Deluxe will look. Also another fighting game character AND an anime swordsman?! This might be a Smasher's worst nightmare (well 3rd now behind Scrimblo Bimblo and JRPG Person apparently)

that being said, bring on Sol, Sakurai! MOAR INPUTS, AUTO TURNAROUND, ROMAN CANCELS, DRAGON INSTALLS, AIR DASHES, TENSION GAUGES, INSTANT KILLS, HARD ROCK! BAYONETTA 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
To be fair, Terry got a bad rep for the first week or so when dumb dumbs on twitter did not know who he was. After people learned who he was and the Sakurai presents, Terry got a lot of love from the community. I think the dirty secret at the end of the day is this: Smash fans as a whole will accept most things after the first few days of disappointment. Look at the Aegis. Remember all the people mad because "booba" and "anime swordsman" and whatnot? After the first week no one was really complaining as much. Outside of Byleth, nothing has gotten that much hate to be brutally honest.

It might be because Byelth is a mechanically boring fighter that brought nothing new to the table throughout their entire moveset with the slight exception of her Up B, is a boring fighter visually, and came from the franchise that people still have a grudge over because of Corrin (who was likely chosen because the field of viable shill picks for 2015-2016 Nintendo was abysmal.). Legit if Nintendo chose Edelgard more people would be ok with that because at least she is not as boring. Same for Dimitri and Claude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom