• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
It especially pisses me off when these Twitter users make platforming fans seem tribalistic by portraying JRPG fans as the Boogeyman of the Smash community while in the same breath being absolute hypocrites themselves by supporting the "filthy" JRPG anime swordsmen that they feel so threatened by such as Sora, Dante, etc.
Sora uses a key, not a sword.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Anyways the opening video for Guilty Gear Strive came out today so I'm once again shilling the series and Sol Badguy in Smash. But seriously, very cool opening:

Also: he's anime, he's a fighting game character and as a weapon uses something that would probably look and treated as a sword by the community. So I'm sure Smash fans would enjoy him and not complain at all if by some miracle he manages to be one of our remaining characters :4pacman:
Man, I love Guilty Gear's animation. As someone who grew up more with Arc System's sprite-animated franchises (mainly BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena), the 3D animation style that they did with Xrd and Strive has really grown on me. I'd be super interested in seeing how Nintendo animates Sol if they decide to put him in Smash. That or seeing some of the current Smash roster animated in the GG Strive style in a hypothetical Sol trailer

(also I heard May's new theme, and between all the memes it spawned and it being a legitimately catchy song I haven't gotten it out of my head ever since)

I read this as Fire Emblem Treehouses.
Now I really wish that whenever Nintendo Treehouse covers a Fire Emblem game, they use that name for the segment...
new e3 .png

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
By the way if almost all the DLC was nothing but mascot platformers with one sword guy and there was this meme making fun of JRPG anime fans of complaining about them like the scrimblo one I'd take the JRPG fans side in that and so would the rest of you.
No I wouldn’t and my most wanted character is an JRPG guy.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
And they blame Sakurai for all these JRPG characters despite him not having full control of who gets in and who doesn't.

EVEN THOUGH HE'S THE DIRECTOR

SKX31

Smash Master
Or just use the ones from the Reboot :4pacman:
mindimages.png

I had an idea for a Space Invader moveset awhile back.

Basically it's Space InvaderS, so it's three at once, those being the three different types of aliens from Space Invaders. They fight together like Banjo & Kazooie or Duck Hunt, so no Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer-esque gimmicks. Their lightweight and have multiple jumps like Kirby, but have really good air mobility and have alright falling speed, but ridiculously quick fastfalling speed. Think Yoshi with Fox's fastfalling. This gives them excellent mobility but to compensate, their attacks are pretty weak and they have trouble KOing. As for the moves themselves, they'd be similar to Duck Hunt or Mr. Game & Watch or PAC-MAN, where they'd draw from other Atari games for some of their moves. I remember one of their smash attacks crushing an asteroid from Asteroids, sending debris around that moves slowly but travels really far, if that's any indication.
That sounds pretty good at least for a starting point, my only worry is that Fox's fastfall would most likely equal them being combo food. Still though, I don't think we've had a feather / lightweight who does a lot of splash / AoE damage (Duck Hunt kinda excluded), so that's a really interesting direction to go to.

Got you covered.
* 5 years later, Claude, Dmitri and Edelgard have risen to their respective thrones, gotten their respective weapons ready and bicker to each other...

About who gets to keep the treehouse.* :4pacman:

Last edited:

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
How much of a difference does that really make, though.

If he's not a swordsman, then what would you classify Sora as?
Curious how that doesn't come up when FE fans complain about not having an axe user.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Imagine all this waiting until next Tuesday only for our fighter to be...

Jonesy from Fortnite.

Let the salt pour.
Well, if Jonesy ends up being the last character revealed, would he count as subverting the “Smash doesn’t end on a high note” trend due to how iconic Fortnite is, or reinforcing it considering all the people who hate the idea of him in Smash?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The fact that platformer fans were targetted specifically by the scrimblo memes (which almost everyone in this thread defends/agrees with) you're more or less saying that they should be.
The thing you're missing is that the Scrimblo memes were retaliatory. As someone who long supported Chrom even well after Smash 4, there's been a long history of certain platformer fans (back then it used to be Banjo and DK fans but now it's more so Rayman and Crash fans...the latter of which stings because he's one of my most wanted) bashing certain series and characters unprompted to talk up their own, and those characters were almost always "anime swordsmen."

Literally nobody has a problem with people wanting platformer characters. They have a problem with people attacking other characters and fanbases when they don't get what they want.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That sounds pretty good at least for a starting point, my only worry is that Fox's fastfall would most likely equal them being combo food. Still though, I don't think we've had a feather / lightweight who does a lot of splash / AoE damage (Duck Hunt kinda excluded), so that's a really interesting direction to go to.
I was going for more like, they have base falling speed comparable to Mario, so they're average on the surface. But if you input a fastffall, they drop like a rock. The point of Space Invaders is shooting aliens that are constantly moving out of your way, and I think making them an extremely mobile, difficult-to-hit type character would be a good way to represent that.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The solution to all this is going outside and finding value in life that isn't pixels locked behind 5 bucks. Sadly, people conflitate fun speculation with their entire personality, and that's where it gets unhealthy.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
The fact that platformer fans were targetted specifically by the scrimblo memes (which almost everyone in this thread defends/agrees with) you're more or less saying that they should be.
The dumb scrimblo memes are a response to the constant complaints about anime sword fighters that have been going on for about a decade. If people are going to get pissy the moment the shoe is on the other foot, that's on them.

But nobody is even hating on platformer characters. It's a response to detractors and their bad attitude.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
The thing you're missing is that the Scrimblo memes were retaliatory. As someone who long supported Chrom even well after Smash 4, there's been a long history of certain platformer fans (back then it used to be Banjo and DK fans but now it's more so Rayman and Crash fans...the latter of which stings because he's one of my most wanted) bashing certain series and characters unprompted to talk up their own, and those characters were almost always "anime swordsmen."

Literally nobody has a problem with people wanting platformer characters. They have a problem with people attacking other characters and fanbases when they don't get what they want.
Do you think the constant slew of JRPG characters in both 4 and Ultimates dlc had anything to do with it? Hardly feels unprompted to me. The first scrimblo bimlo meme was before the february direct so yeah it was pretty unprompted.

The anime styled game fans hate the idea of not being mostly catered to, so they attacked the furthest thing away from anime out of spite.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Still have a gut feeling our next fighter WONT be from a JRPG, MAYBE CP11 but I'm not getting those same vibes for 10.

I also think that our next character COULD be a character that originated in the 80s or 90s... idk A LOT of our DLC crew originated in the 00s and 10s
Though overall, most of our roster is form the 80s and 90s.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean I won’t deny the DLC has easily skewed towards JRPG characters considering half of them are from the JRPG Genre. It’s just more of a shame when the other half characters are from some pretty different genres. Minecraft is a God simulator/survival game, Terry is a FG character, Banjo is a platformer, Min Min is a weird Pseudo-fighter, and piranha plant is just a straight up weirdo.

Not to say that all the JRPG characters we’ve gotten aren’t differentiated quite well but it is harder to establish a reason for there to be 4 humanoid Sword users. At the very least Terry uses his fists and Joker uses a knife.

This is coming from someone who is completely satisfied by the lineup we’ve gotten so far particularly Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, and Sephiroth, but that doesn’t mean I don’t see where people are coming from with their criticisms of the DLC thus far.

Edit: this is also a biproduct of Smash being Japanese made where the JRPG genre absolutely flourishes and is constantly cranking out bangers for Japan to lose their minds over. If it were American made I’m afraid to say that it would swim in an opposite direction that would likely draw criticism from the other side as the current discourse.

Last edited:

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
The dumb scrimblo memes are a response to the constant complaints about anime sword fighters that have been going on for about a decade. If people are going to get pissy the moment the shoe is on the other foot, that's on them.

But nobody is even hating on platformer characters. It's a response to detractors and their bad attitude.
The first complains about JRPG anime sword fighters being overrepresented, which is hard to argue against.

The second ridicules those that think that way. And after months of those jokes one(1) post making fun of JRPG fans and suddenly it's "toxic"

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Dude. It's not that hard to get.
No one is saying that.

What people are saying is that platformer fans aren't precisely starving. That doesn't mean they can't ask for Crash, Rayman or Tails, but for them to be complaining about JRPGs characters is definitely quite hilarious.

Also: even if there's an overlap, a Crash fan might be not a fan of Banjo, so Banjo does nothing for him. Therefore the Crash fan will keep asking for Crash. Just like a Lloyd Irving fan might not care at all about Sephiroth, so said fan will keep supporting Lloyd.
This is obviously okay, as long as people behave respectfully.

We're using "platformer fans" or "JRPG fans" as a simplification, but it's obvious that if someone likes RPGs it doesn't mean any he will enjoy any RPG character. Same for any other genre. I like both JRPGs and platformers, and characters such as Pokémon, a Disgaea protag, Spyro or a second Sonic character would do nothing for me.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Do you think the constant slew of JRPG characters in both 4 and Ultimates dlc had anything to do with it? Hardly feels unprompted to me. The first scrimblo bimlo meme was before the february direct so yeah it was pretty unprompted.

The anime styled game fans hate the idea of not being mostly catered to, so they attacked the furthest thing away from anime out of spite.
The problem is you lump "anime styled game fans" together. If somebody wanted a Tales of series character but they don't like Xenoblade, Dragon Quest or Persona, why would they be satisfied with any of those characters?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

You literally admit to encouraging tribalism here. You saw other characters getting in besides yours, looked to see what they had in common, and decided to "attack" them because of it. If you see characters that aren't your most wanted getting in and decide "this is a call to arms," you're part of the problem.

You wanna talk about Scrimblo Bimblo being from February? People were using "anime swordsmen" in a derogatory sense since, at the very least, Shulk getting added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom