• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
:ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero:
:ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra:

We've really have come a long way.

Such an amazing roster from fan-favorites, long overdue requested characters, characters who left a massive impact on gaming, etc.

Can't wait to see who the last two potentially are.
Just hope Cash Banooca is one of them. Bonus points if the other is either Sora, Bandana Dee or Eggman.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm still betting on one Smash reveal just because of how anticlimactic it would be to reveal the very last character after F10, then talk about them three months later when the hype has settled.

Nintendo calls the shots, but it'd be bizarre if they didn't do the reveal and Sakurai Presents so close together.
I don't think it'd be three months, since working on two fighters and then working on one fighter, after working on three fighters simultaneously until after Pythra, would theoretically allow the last fighters to release sooner due to having more work on done on them. I mean, it's not like they'll slack off on their development just to maintain status quo with releases.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just hope Cash Banooca is one of them. Bonus points if the other is either Sora, Bandana Dee or Eggman.
While nothing is really for certain, I think you have a much higher chance of getting your most wanted than I do. Still, I’m really happy with the roster already so even if I don’t personally care about the next two characters, I’m already more than satisfied.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
My opinion is that, no matter what, we're getting another First Party. I just can't see a timeline where we don't get another First Party before Ultimate finishes.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Quick E3 2021 predictions:

-BOTW 2 gameplay reveal (will be at the end of the presentation)

-Splatoon 3 info drop

-Project Triangle Strategy info drop

-Smash reveal (at the beginning)

-Smash reveal at the end (right before BOTW 2's gameplay trailer).

-Fire Emblem remake announced

-Fire Emblem Warriors sequel announced (based excessively on Three Houses)

-New No More Heroes 3 trailer

-Monolifhtsoft's new fantasy IP revealed

-Metroid: Samus Returns HD

-Third-party ports announced

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I'm still betting on one Smash reveal just because of how anticlimactic it would be to reveal the very last character after F10, then talk about them three months later when the hype has settled.

Nintendo calls the shots, but it'd be bizarre if they didn't do the reveal and Sakurai Presents so close together.
Well to be fair that is what happened with Joker and:ultbanjokazooie:. Sure this would be the LAST character, but I'm not so sure Nintendo would care.

Technomage

Smash Champion
My opinion is that, no matter what, we're getting another First Party. I just can't see a timeline where we don't get another First Party before Ultimate finishes.
Most likely 1st-party? I'd say a BOTW2 character, since that be super mega ultra hype (especially with a reveal on more of BOTW2's details).

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
If Sora is revealed at E3, like I am thinking and hoping he will be, I do not care about who the last fighter and potentially leaked bonus fighter end up being.

Just please be Sora.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I agree that it makes the most practical sense, but I would never underestimate how baffling and nonsensical Nintendo's marketing decisions can be.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
If we get another first party character I could see it being from BotW2, Pokémon, or Splatoon.

Maybe Wild Zelda or Impa (I know she just got a spirit, but I can dream.)

Cinderace is the mostly like Pokémon in my opinion. Although I would love Toxtricity or Urshifu.

As for Splatoon, maybe an Octoling that uses a plethora of different weapons that Inkling doesn’t use. That may be too similar though.

Honestly, I’d kind of love Pauline.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
So if Sakurai comments that the next character will be revealed at E3, would that remove the possibility of a dual reveal? He never commented on when a character was being announced really until Steve iirc.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
To expand a little, I do think that Nintendo went over budget because of licensing pains with certain companies, most particularly with Dragon Quest and maybe C418, and that they had to drop some stuff (Ochestral Dragon Quest, C418, and the Formal Directs) because of Pass 1 going over budget. Yeah, I do believe we will, no matter what, have One More First Party before DLC.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we get another first party character I could see it being from BotW2, Pokémon, or Splatoon.

Cinderace is the mostly like Pokémon in my opinion. Although I would love Toxtricity or Urshifu.

As for Splatoon, maybe an Octoling that uses a plethora of different weapons that Inkling doesn’t use. That may be too similar though.

As far as Gen 8 goes, I really want Orbeetle, Corviknight, or Toxtricity. Sadly, of these, I think only Toxtricity has any shot.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
As far as Gen 8 goes, I really want Orbeetle, Corviknight, or Toxtricity. Sadly, of these, I think only Toxtricity has any shot.
I think a Pokémon is likely honestly. Sword and Shield sold incredibly well, and Pokémon is just massively successful in general. I think a lot of people are sleeping on the possibility of a Gen 8 Pokémon being in the Fighter’s Pass.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
To expand a little, I do think that Nintendo went over budget because of licensing pains with certain companies, most particularly with Dragon Quest and maybe C418, and that they had to drop some stuff (Ochestral Dragon Quest, C418, and the Formal Directs) because of Pass 1 going over budget. Yeah, I do believe we will, no matter what, have One More First Party before DLC.
That isnt how it works bud... they never would have made FP2 if the profits didnt exceed the costs. Your speculation is entirely in the wrong head space. This is th e richest company in japan, who just had an amazing year... they're not running out of budget on one game lmfao get real

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
That isnt how it works bud... they never would have made FP2 if the profits didnt exceed the costs. Your speculation is entirely in the wrong head space. This is th e richest company in japan, who just had an amazing year... they're not running out of budget on one game lmfao get real
This Pass was finalized in November of 2019, with some side effects due to the set budget going over.

Technomage

Smash Champion

I think a Pokémon is likely honestly. Sword and Shield sold incredibly well, and Pokémon is just massively successful in general. I think a lot of people are sleeping on the possibility of a Gen 8 Pokémon being in the Fighter’s Pass.
If we do get a Pokemon rep, then I just want it to NOT be yet another starter in a row (I don't care how much anybody wants any specific Pokemon); I'd prefer a Legendary (like Urshifu), Pikachu expy (like Morpeko), or even a Galarian Form Pokemon (such as Mr. Rime or Sirfetch'd).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Wasn’t there a spirit event that supposedly deconfirmed a Sword and Shield character? I’m still not ruling it out and they could always go with another Gen like Gen 4 to advertise the remakes.

I don’t think I even have to say what my most wanted Pokémon is lol. I’d also love tons of others but I agree that I don’t want another starter. The only exception is Blastoise because it’s my brother’s favorite Pokémon and most wanted character after Battletoads.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Wasn’t there a spirit event that supposedly deconfirmed a Sword and Shield character? I’m still not ruling it out and they could always go with another Gen like Gen 4 to advertise the remakes.
Well, only the ones that are spirits; Smash could still add a Gen 8 Mon and some more Gen 8 spirits (there are a lot of them, after all).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If they do add a Pokemon, which I’m not expecting, all I ask is that they continue the trend of subverting the obvious picks with something more exciting.

As underwhelming as it’d be to get another obligatory promo ‘Mon, having it be something more inspired than defaulting to the starters would be a good start at least. I don’t mind Cinderace that much but it’d just be very shrug-worthy I think.

As it stands though I heavily doubt another Pokemon since they had two great opportunities in June and October to sync up with DLC expansions that they failed to take advantage of. I really just can’t see it now in June 2021.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If they do add a Pokemon, which I’m not expecting, all I ask is that they continue the trend of subverting the obvious picks with something more exciting.

As underwhelming as it’d be to get another obligatory promo ‘Mon, having it be something more inspired than defaulting to the starters would be a good start at least. I don’t mind Cinderace that much but it’d just be very shrug-worthy I think.

As it stands though I heavily doubt another Pokemon since they had two great opportunities in June and October to sync up with DLC expansions that they failed to take advantage of. I really just can’t see it now in June 2021.
Technically 3, as there was the release of base Sword and Shield as well as the expansions.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
If we do get a Pokemon rep, then I just want it to NOT be yet another starter in a row (I don't care how much anybody wants any specific Pokemon); I'd prefer a Legendary (like Urshifu), Pikachu expy (like Morpeko), or even a Galarian Form Pokemon (such as Mr. Rime or Sirfetch'd).
I agree that another starter would be lackluster. I could definitely see Urshifu potentially being chosen.

Honestly though, what I would be neat, is another Pokémon Trainer that uses all 3 starters with the final smash being Gigantamaxing whichever one is fully evolved. A Galarian Form of the Pokémon Trainer. Hahahaha.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Again, Gen 8 Pokemon isn't being "slept on" lmao

It's basically become to this pass as Byleth was to the previous one before his/her announcement: the worst case scenario first party "shill" character that people dread with every reveal.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Technically 3, as there was the release of base Sword and Shield as well as the expansions.
I just used June and October 2020 as the examples because it was more practical to anticipate a Pokemon in FP2 than FP1, and because we got two characters revealed in those respective months (Min Min and Steve).

Byleth had a six month buffer and was revealed / released in close proximity to a Three Houses DLC expansion. So I feel like that parallel is the most apt.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Again, Gen 8 Pokemon isn't being "slept on" lmao

It's basically become to this pass as Byleth was to the previous one before his/her announcement: the worst case scenario first party shill character to dread with every reveal.
It definitely is being slept on, though. Not because people particularly hate Sword & Shield, but it got a spirit event, two Pokemon tournaments, recent voice acting theory that also makes it unlikely a character requiring a lot of voice acting making it in, and the fact that we are close to gen 9 at this point than from the start of gen 8.
We had very few instances where they skipped a spirit event, and once of them was Fire Emblem: Three Houses that ended up getting a character in.
I don't understand why they would have release a spirit event for Sword & Shield if they intended on adding a character eventually. And I'm certain most people think the same to an extent.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah if they are going to have a character outside of the fans' usual pool, then I hope its something completely unexpected and ridiculous - e.g. the Battletoads.
The Battletoads are in my top three most wanted characters and my brother’s favorite game characters ever. I would love if they got in.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It definitely is being slept on, though. Not because people particularly hate Sword & Shield, but it got a spirit event, two Pokemon tournaments, recent voice acting theory that also makes it unlikely a character requiring a lot of voice acting making it in, and the fact that we are close to gen 9 at this point than from the start of gen 8.
We had one instance where they skipped a spirit event, and it was Fire Emblem: Three Houses that ended up getting a character in.
I don't understand why they would have release a spirit event for Sword & Shield if they intended on adding a character eventually. And I'm certain most people think the same to an extent.
The fact people bring it up so often here in spite of the spirit event says that it ain’t being slept on. If it was, people would not be talking about it at all.

There’s a big difference than being slept on and being unwanted. I think many people on here fall towards the latter on Gen 8.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm still of the opinion that we would only get a double reveal if we get an announcement of more DLC.
I think they'd rather do it if there's only one reveal so they can do what they did with Terry and after revealing the penultimate fighter, have the Direct narrator go "Could there really be only one left?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom