• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I honestly hope Imran didn't deconfirm Lloyd Irving by debunking thay rumor a few months ago
Nah, he didn't speak about smash in months except three days ago for the Article about Crash.
Whenever it's because he knows the character and it is not Crash, or because he know the project the voice acting was for remain a wait and see for now, just something to keep in mind

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do hope we’ll get another Namco rep. If not Tales I’m gunning for KOS-MOS (and maybe T-elos as her echo if T-elos is the supposed “bonus”)

it'll 100% make up for no Fiora or Elma for me (bonus if KOS-MOS comes with X music. Doubt it but it would be the bee’s knees)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I do hope we’ll get another Namco rep. If not Tales I’m gunning for KOS-MOS (and maybe T-elos as her echo if T-elos is the supposed “bonus”)

it'll 100% make up for no Fiora or Elma for me (bonus if KOS-MOS comes with X music. Doubt it but it would be the bee’s knees)
If the character from the same franchise as X couldn't get X music why the hell would a different franchise entirely get X music? Not to mention that Pythra already has pre Blade references so thankfully KOSMOS is dead in the water

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice

We probably will

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If the character from the same franchise as X couldn't get X music why the hell would a different franchise entirely get X music? Not to mention that Pythra already has pre Blade references so thankfully KOSMOS is dead in the water
Xenogears, yes, but not Xenosaga

I actually thought it was weird he referenced XG of all things

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not really? The same guy's involved, there's the whole Xeno thing, the same fanbases, etc
It’s kind of a running gag in the Xeno fandom at large that Gears is forgotten. Those Fei and Elly looking kids in Saga weren’t connected to Fei and Elly; and the fact KOS-MOS and T-elos appeared in XC2 but not Fei... and also Square owns the rights to Gears specifically and seldom acknowledges it

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Does this thread actually knows that is possible to talk about Sony/Playstation games without falling for the umpteenth time into the "TLOU2 bad" spiral? The worst thing about it is that you can always find someone trying to shove the "political games are bad" argument into it, which is just laughable.

Someone made a poll on Gfaqs asking who would be the best Sony rep?
Heh...

In all seriousness, what if a Sony rep really is on the table? That'd be wild.
As someone who has mostly grown with Playstation consoles, this just "hurts". I know this is a random poll for fun and all, of course, but the poll is supposedly about the best Sony rep. Not the one you would like to see, which is a different thing. Nothing against Kat, in fact, I love her as a character and I enjoyed both Gravity Rush games a lot. I'd like to see her in Smash? Yeah, I'd like to see a lot of characters in Smash. Is she the best option to rep Playstation? Dude... not at all lmao.

If the question is "who would be the best character to rep Sony?" it's clearly between Kratos, Ratchet & Clank and probably Nathan Drake. Not cartoony or japanese enough for some people? Well, this is how is it. And the great majority of my favorite series and games are japanese titles so it's not like I have something against that, but the question is clear. If you wanna represent Playstation with a first party character from Sony, the most logical choices are basically what I've mentioned before.

In Kratos and Ratchet & Clank cases, these 2 are the most prolific characters in terms of quantity of games, and the older ones. Unfortunately we barely have realizable options from series that started with the first Playstation, unless we want to include a Gran Turismo car or a Wipeout ship. So if we move on to the PS2, God of War and Ratchet started there, becoming very popular and important series for the brand. Uncharted is arguably a bigger name to be honest, though it debuted on the PS3, so if we're trying to cover the history of Playstation, it's a "weaker" option, but still a good and likely one due to it's success and popularity.

A Sony character feels like something that will happen in the next Smash game. While this is the friendliest Nintendo and Sony have been since the original falling out over the Playstation, their partnership is still in its infancy. It's clear both parties are still somewhat hesitant to adopt things like crossplay and bringing exclusives to other platforms, but stuff like MLB The Show '21 being multiplatform shows that things are warming up between the two.

Hopefully, by the time the next Smash and its DLC are being planned, Nintendo and Sony will be close enough to have a serious discussion about a Sony character in Smash.
To clarify, as far as I know what happened with MLB The Show '21 was that basically MLB wanted to go multiplatform, and "forced" Sony to do so if they wanted to keep making the games.

While on the off topic topic of topics (TLOU2), the game is, regardless of the low hanging bait (Buff chicks/gay people 'bad' that the internet so foolishly loves to talk about), the game is just horrendously written, lacks nuance, the game itself feels preachy/pretentious/manipulative and the gameplay is nothing special if not entirely feeling identical to its predecessor...for reasons. It's, at best, mediocre.
I'm not even going to address the other parts because it wouldn't be the first time I do that here, and at this point it's obvious some people won't change their mind in certain subjects.

However, I will say: anyone who says the "gameplay is nothing special" or that "it's entirely identical to the first game" has just not played the game. Like, there's no better way to tell who has played the sequel and who didn't.

I think, without stepping onto many mines that the difference between Players and Journalist reaction to The Last of Us Part II really show how disconected sometimes people are and that everyone can have their own opinion.

However I still do this day refuse to believe the dev team wrote a story where you spend Half of the game hating a character, and the other half playing said character we hate, without giving us any redeemable trait and at the end, not giving the player the satisfaction to reach the goal that they themselves want, even by giving US the choice to accomplish it or not after living both point of view.
Looked at it and went like.

"Yeah, people will love it"

The Last Of Us Part II is probably the worst story i've played and experienced in 2020.
Your feelings about the game are valid, not going to argue that. But I'm going to say, not for the first time I guess, that the first part about your message is certainly kinda curious.

Because you can find a lot of people claiming the game "was universally hated", "most people didn't like the game", and so on. First of all, I don't think it's inherently bad that a game ends being quite divisive, but in this case, I find kinda funny how some folks have succesfully instaured the narrative that very few people liked TLOU2, which is obviously false.
It's basically an obvious example of negative things always getting more reactions on the internet. Some people, even some users here, actually think everyone hated TLOU2. Then you find data such as this: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2020/10/2020-game-of-year.html

Obviously, it isn't the definitive truth, but it's actually curious that the game with more GOTY picks from the readers (I repeat, the readers. In other words, the fans) of 2020 was TLOU2. Full info within the spoiler if someone doesn't want/can to go to the website:

The Last of Us Part II - 180

The Critics' Picks - 112

The Readers' Picks - 68

Hades - 45

The Critics' Picks - 43

The Readers' Picks - 2

Ghost of Tsushima - 32

The Critics' Picks - 28

The Readers' Picks - 4

Cyberpunk 2077 - 29

The Critics' Picks - 10

The Readers' Picks - 19

Final Fantasy VII Remake - 19

The Critics' Picks - 16

The Readers' Picks - 3

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 18

The Critics' Picks - 17

The Readers' Picks - 1

Doom Eternal - 10

The Critics' Picks - 10

The Readers' Picks -

Half-Life: Alyx - 10

The Critics' Picks - 10

The Readers' Picks -

Why I'm saying this, well, I guess it's evident. As I said, some people claim most fans hated the game. But then, how is this possible? Even if not all TLOU fans were part of the almost endless GOTY polls all the videogame websites organize each year, almost 70 GOTY picks chosen by the fans across multiple videogame magazines doesn't seem to work with the "no one liked it" narrative.
My theory? Kinda obvious, but as I said, negative emotions are always more louder. And in this case, I think I've never seen a negative opinion towards a videogame being so, so louder. Like, haters of TLOU2 (which are different people who the ones that didn't enjoy the game, I want to clarify that) seem to basically live to say the game sucks and that they hate it. They're so ****ing passionate about it that it's kinda... worrying, if you ask me, because as I've just mentioned,

I've never seen this negative passion towards a videogame before. And I don't think there's any justification for it, because it's still a videogame, it won't change your life. You can dislike it, of course, and as I always said, I don't have any problems with people expressing their criticisms against the game. But what I honestly can't is people being manipulative and toxic. That is something that has always bothered me so much, in general. And this case isn't an exception.
To sum it up I believe most of this comes from a mix of the game's story leaking a few months before it's release, some parts of said story being purposefully misinterpreted with bad intentions (these people were spreading a certain character was a trans person, which was false), popular things being an easy target for haters, the game becoming subject of hate by **** places such as 4chan or certain circles because "it's SJW!", and of course, any real fans or people interested in TLOU weren't going to spoil the game by themselves because they were obviously waiting for the game for a long time, which was my situation. But by the time the game came out it and people started playing it was already late, because the narrative was already ingrained on the internet.

I'm not saying the game not being leaked would have prevented everything that came after, because I don't think so, but the hate and negativity surrounding the game would have been smaller and more normal, because the story of the game is quite daring (for better for some people, for worse for other people), so people having different and strong opinions about it was basically inevitable.

And I will clarify once again: when I'm talking about the "haters" and all of that, I'm talking about the toxic people. The one who decided to spoil others back then, the ones you can find basically in any TLOU related tweet making bait posts, the ones who, to this day, still seem to be hurted and offended because a videogame story didn't went the way they wanted.
I'm not referring to you, or other people who disliked the game or those who had their criticisms against it. The first ones are just crybabies, which are always louder, and the second ones are fans that for different reasons didn't like the game, but they are not toxic about it.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Xenoblade, Xenogears, & Xenosaga will all come together for the major crossover title Xeno Warrior Princess, coming to the Switch Pro and PS5 in 2023.
That would imply Nintendo would want their characters leaving their own consoles, which is never gonna happen in any of our lifetimes lol

Such a game would have to be Switch exclusive if it involved Xenoblade characters.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I get why people dislike "real" characters.

But, we also have Snake so.
People calling Snake "realistic" is just baffling to me.

Like, have you people never played a Metal Gear before? It's the most ridiculous, anime-ass **** in the world.

I feel like Crash whole existence in the Smash Bros Speculation Sphere as been that he is confirm, then deconfirm, confirm again, then deconfirm, etc..
I don't think you know what confirm means...

I suspect Octoling gets somewhat slept on because there's an assumption that they'll play similar to Inklings and pretty much all the Ultimate DLC characters have been very distinct in their gameplay.

They could very well be quite different but I suspect there's a bit of that mentality at work.
Not an unfair assumption though. In Splatoon, they play the same as Inklings, so being clones/echoes makes sense. Even though they COULD just give them a completely different weapon loadout than they did Inklings.

Oh that's fair, Silent Hill fans are always divided about Pyramid Head and the whole symbolism thing after all, I just feel PH can be done properly, but that's obviously something that's not up everyone's alley
PH feels like something that would work better as an AT or stage hazard. Something to run the hell away from when it shows up.

Ooh, a Silent Hill stage sounds rad...

No, I'm going to start talking about Ryus from Street Fighter, Ninja Gaiden, and Breath of Fire without clarification for pure spite.
And that's why the REAL BoF rep will be Nina.

Second, did they SERIOUSLY include an Anti-Christian cult? Come the [CENSORED] on! I feel enough shame from what my fellow Christians have done (to the point where I consider myself a poor example of a Christian), I don't need game devs making it worse!
Weird thing to complain about when, like, every JRPG ever always has the church as badguys.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I just wanted to know what you guys thought abot Imran Khan debunking the Chun leak thing 😭
Does it involve Lloyd and Yuri?

If so, I don't really know for Yuri, but I was already on the side that Lloyd is returning as a Mii costume anyway, since every single Mii costume from a third-party in Smash 4 returned. Really doubt Lloyd will be the exception.

Like, have you people never played a Metal Gear before? It's the most ridiculous, anime-ass **** in the world.
I never played the series, but I just know there's an enemy in the game that can read your memory card and throw stuff at you like "Oh you played Super Mario Sunshine, huh? Name all the Shines then"

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Does it involve Lloyd and Yuri?

If so, I don't really know for Yuri, but I was already on the side that Lloyd is returning as a Mii costume anyway, since every single Mii costume from a third-party in Smash 4 returned. Really doubt Lloyd will be the exception.
To be fair, it wasn't a real leak anyways, at least not in the way people make it out to be. The leak itself said "A bunch of characters were planned or at least considered, but scrapped;" Specifically Erdrick, Steve, Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri. Second Chance Theory was at it's peak when A Ayumi Tachibana brought it back up for us, so people latched on to Chun-Li and Lloyd. It never said "These guys will be added," just that they were planned at some point. The only way we can truly deconfirm that rumor is if someone explicitly states one of the characters were never planned.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I mean it is telling of how comparatively wacky Smash fighters are that a series that had successful infiltration via hiding in cardboard boxes, villains named Hot Coldman, and features large mooing robots has the "realistic" character.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord

To be fair, Snake in Smash doesn't really reflect that when it comes to gameplay. He just beats people up and uses military ordnance.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, I'll switch to a different topic: I remember someone talking about a potential Pokemon rep, being either a Gen 8 Mon or a rep from legends Arceus; which should it be?
Well, Legends Arceus has Rowlett as a starter. So if that gets me Decidueye, that one.

But deep down, we all know that the best choice for a Trails rep is Estelle

Let Adol and Rean be Miis or whatever.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought abot Imran Khan debunking the Chun leak thing
Nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom