• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I can't see a dual reveal happening unless they drop both fighters in June (which is unlikely), or they also announce more DLC for Smash Ultimate at E3 too.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hey, what's up? Did I miss anything of note?

By the by, I was thinking more DLC after Fighters Pass Vol. 2 was possible before the Pyra/Mythra presentation, but the way Mr. Sakurai worded things regarding the two remaining fighters, I'm really thinking we're done after this. Not that I could complain about that, Vol. 2 feels like a victory lap as it is.

Also, I put things on about 50/50 as to whether we get one or two reveals come E3. Both seem like possibilities.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I can't see a dual reveal happening unless they drop both fighters in June (which is unlikely), or they also announce more DLC for Smash Ultimate at E3 too.
Why do both fighters have to release in June in order for there to be a double reveal? Like both fighters can be revealed in June and then release on different months like with Hero and Banjo & Kazooie.

SKX31

Smash Master
If Metroid Prime 4 finally releases and Sylux actually ends up being the coolest thing in the series I wonder how we're gonna feel looking back on this conversation.
Probably silly.

Especially if it somehow turns out that Sylux is an even bigger Youtube compilation / clip magnet than the the proclaimed CLIP GOD, :ultfalcon: .

So whats the topic today?
Well, lets spin the Wheel of Smash Speculation Hell!

smashspeculationhell.png

The choices are:

1. Crash talk, but every line written down re: Crash has to be taken from Crash of the Titans' / Mind over Mutant's scripts.
2. Thesis-writing asking whether Cacomallow proves Smash speculation is a flat circle or not. 2000 words minimum, with academic sources.
3. 4th party talk, but one must write like a Silver Age supervillain.
4. Pokemon talk, but written in such a saccarine manner that even Ash Ketchum would seem like Jason Vorhees by comparision.
5. FE talk / anime swordsmen, but any response must be done as a soap opera.
6. "Someone I think is less talked about but deserves to be more talked about is..." Crickets because no one else is familiar with the game.
7. Forum game from hell: "One of your most wanteds gets in, but his / her moveset is from your least wanted. Which would you sacrifice?".
8. "Gee, it sure is boring around here!" "Mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!"

I'm pretty sure I missed something, but that should cover most bases here.

:4pacman:

By the by, I was thinking more DLC after Fighters Pass Vol. 2 was possible before the Pyra/Mythra presentation, but the way Mr. Sakurai worded things regarding the two remaining fighters, I'm really thinking we're done after this. Not that I could complain about that, Vol. 2 feels like a victory lap as it is.

Also, I put things on about 50/50 as to whether we get one or two reveals come E3. Both seem like possibilities.
I never got the impression that Sakurai in particular - and Nintendo in general - are that keen on extending DLC or going with a live-service method. Now, there are Nintendo games that do that (MKT is arguably the most notable example), but FP3 / additional DLC characters seem to be very unlikely precisely due to Sakurai's wording. The only way I can see that is if Furukawa / other Ninty execs convince Sakurai and the Bamco team, and as alluded to I don't think Furukawa's the kind of exec to do that unless Sakurai was 100 % sure.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Why do both fighters have to release in June in order for there to be a double reveal? Like both fighters can be revealed in June and then release on different months like with Hero and Banjo & Kazooie.
I think one of the reasons people have become skeptical of that is that Fighter Pass 2 has severely cut down the time between reveal and release of characters in comparison to Fighter Pass 1. Granted its hardly out of character for Nintendo to just decide that the very last fighter is one that can be shown off in June and released in September, but there does seem to be a general trend of people thinking Fighter 11 will be shown off in the Fall Direct and put out shortly after.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Sakurai announced that ATs are still fair game for DLC but only if their name starts with a Z so we're getting Zero and Black Knight

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably silly.

Especially if it somehow turns out that Sylux is an even bigger Youtube compilation / clip magnet than the the proclaimed CLIP GOD, :ultfalcon: .

Well, lets spin the Wheel of Smash Speculation Hell!

View attachment 315279

The choices are:

1. Crash talk, but every line written down re: Crash has to be taken from Crash of the Titans' / Mind over Mutant's scripts.
2. Thesis-writing asking whether Cacomallow proves Smash speculation is a flat circle or not. 2000 words minimum, with academic sources.
3. 4th party talk, but one must write like a Silver Age supervillain.
4. Pokemon talk, but written in such a saccarine manner that even Ash Ketchum would seem like Jason Vorhees by comparision.
5. FE talk / anime swordsmen, but any response must be done as a soap opera.
6. "Someone I think is less talked about but deserves to be more talked about is..." Crickets because no one else is familiar with the game.
7. Forum game from hell: "One of your most wanteds gets in, but his / her moveset is from your least wanted. Which would you sacrifice?".
8. "Gee, it sure is boring around here!" "Mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!"

I'm pretty sure I missed something, but that should cover most bases here.

:4pacman:

I never got the impression that Sakurai in particular - and Nintendo in general - are that keen on extending DLC or going with a live-service method. Now, there are Nintendo games that do that (MKT is arguably the most notable example), but FP3 / additional DLC characters seem to be very unlikely precisely due to Sakurai's wording. The only way I can see that is if Furukawa / other Ninty execs convince Sakurai and the Bamco team, and as alluded to I don't think Furukawa's the kind of exec to do that unless Sakurai was 100 % sure.
I’m not sure how I feel about a live service method myself...

that’s like what Fortnite/other F2P games do right?

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
To be fair, I wouldn't mind if we saw one or two sporadic, standalone DLC fighters every year or so as just kind of a thing that happens sometimes. I don't expect it, but it'd be a cute way to keep the game as an active part of this generation. I also have really enjoyed FP2's slower rollout compared to FP1. It's cozy, y'know?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A question, if we did get Echoes as individual DLC after this pass ends:
  • Would they be cheaper than PP/any of the pass peeps if bought individually?
  • IF they’re an echo of a Pass character, would owning the “base” be a requirement? I.e. Violet for Joker

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
  • IF they’re an echo of a Pass character, would owning the “base” be a requirement? I.e. Violet for Joker
I'd imagine they'd be cheaper but sold together in a bundle. While I imagine having the base of a DLC echo would be required, I can't imagine any DLC echoes. Violet and Joker is the closest but with her rapier I doubt it. Hero already has a set of alts that could probably be split in a future game, Banjo-Kazooie have no suitable alternatives, Terry has characters with similar fighting styles like Rock but not echo material and idk for Byleth uuuuh Nemesis??? Lol. For Pass 2, no ARMS character could have their unique properties shown off if they were an echo of her, Steve like Hero already has alts, Sephiroth has no good equivalent and Pyra/Mythra are too special to have an echo really. No Xenoblade character swaps like they do and has the same proportions and attacks.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
  • They'd probably cost the same, since they're just the character. Might be a dollar less at most, but they wouldn't be free either way.
  • No, cause they'd be balanced around the character when programmed, but wouldn't require them anyway. The data for the Pass characters exist in the game in order for general Online Play to work, but you can't access the character without paying for it. They could implement something like having the character cheaper if you own the original base, though, but I feel it's doubtful.

Technomage

Smash Champion
If you could pick the Mii Costume waves coinciding with each Challenger Pack, who would you pick for costumes (for music tracks, bold denotes a new remix)?
For the CP's already revealed, I'd keep the same costumes, but also add:

Joker:
:ultswordfighter:Imperial from Etrian Odyssey 4

Dragon Quester:
:ultswordfighter: Estark (DQ9 Estark Battle Theme)

Banjo-Kazooie:
:ultgunner:Conker (wielding a WW2-era machine gun from the 8th chapterof Conker's Bad Fur Day)

Terry Bogard:
:ultgunner:Marco Rossi

Byleth Eisner:
:ultswordfighter:Eirika

Min Min:
:ultbrawler:Dr. Coyle

Minecraft Steve:
:ultbrawler:Battletoad

Sephiroth:
:ultswordfighter:Squall Leonhart (FF8 Battle Theme)
:ultswordfighter:Shantotto (Federation of Windurst Theme)

Pythra:
:ultgunner:KOS-MOS

I could maybe see if they wanted to delay everything to December since that time of year is Holiday season, so having Smash in recent memory would sell more passes, but at the rate we are going, Nintendo is not gonna do that, Since Development on the characters should finish long before that period. Saving it for September would just be a unnecessary delay for no reason, especially since in all likihood, they gonna save the more controversial character of the pass in this scenario
I already made that suggestion, and got some replies stating that would not be a good idea nor something many people would like; in fact, I remember someone tell me that delaying the last fighter to Christmas time would actually hurt its sales due to the long wait making people lose hype in it.

As we saw in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, the universes of Mario and Paper Mario are different and have met. So Paper Mario as the next DLC newcomer character. Although about the difference this is already well known before the release of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.
Yeah, I agree that Paper Mario should be playable, since his absence from the roster makes it feel incomplete.

So whats the topic today?
We're currently discussing whether or not E3 will have a dual character reveal.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Low-key, one of my biggest pipe-dreams in regards to SSBU DLC is Matt. Mii Brawler (but not customizable) with some new specials, perhaps.
When modding is further along, I kind of want to make a Matt boss, though...
Perhaps, Mii Brawler but with no knockback, permanent super armor, turbo mode and a health bar rather than %... Not usable by a player, of course.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Low-key, one of my biggest pipe-dreams in regards to SSBU DLC is Matt. Mii Brawler (but not customizable) with some new specials, perhaps.
Speaking of Matt, there's something I don't get: How did he become a meme?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Speaking of Matt, there's something I don't get: How did he become a meme?
Matt became a meme largely thanks to his notoriety as the champion of Boxing and Swordplay. Despite not being very good at any of the other sports, urban myth says he's the best at them all... It does help that he's the only CPU Mii to be the champion of more than one sport. He's also the Final Boss of Swordplay Showdown...

Wii Sports is a game that's been played by a lot of people, so he ends up being recognizable. That kind of relatability is a necessary part of a meme escaping nichedom. That said, I kind of just like the guy memes-aside. I'm a big Wii Sports junkie, I still play it and Resort regularly.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Perhaps, Mii Brawler but with no knockback, permanent super armor, turbo mode and a health bar rather than %... Not usable by a player, of course.
Uhhhhh whomst

anyway uh, if I were to add a costume in each characters wave or even add a song to an existing costume;

Joker - his costumes are good as is
Hero - same
Banjo - add a PreMiium Ori Brawler with Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
Terry - add a PreMiium Monokuma Brawler with a Danganronpa Medley
Byleth - Tsubasa costume with the TMS battle theme as a track, she already has a Spirit so let’s go further. Alternatively, Itsuki works too
Min Min - no added costumes, but the song in Heihachi’s segment shoulda come with him. Also, add the Fallout 4 theme with Vault Boy
Steve - add a Bomberman 64 song with the Bomberman costume
Sephiroth - include a SMRPG track with Geno, and include a 2B PreMiium Swordfighter with A Beautiful Song
Pyra/Mythra - NO I AM NOT MII-ING ELMA EVEN IF JUST FOR UNCONTROLLABLE. SHE DESERVES MORE. however, a Mecha-Fiora Swordfighter as compensation for her being in Shulk’s Final Smash... really wanted her as playable. Also a Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter with a Sealed Vessel remix

Technomage

Smash Champion
In regards to the topic on a double reveal, I personally think that the fact that only two characters are left (when Sakurai's team has been working on 3 DLC chars at the same time in the past), as well as the fact that Sakurai stated that we'd have to wait a bit longer than usual for CP10, could potentially allow Nintendo to finish enough work on both of them to allow for a double reveal at E3 (well, unless one or both of the characters are too deep and complex to allow that).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In regards to the topic on a double reveal, I personally think that the fact that only two characters are left (when Sakurai's team has been working on 3 DLC chars at the same time in the past), as well as the fact that Sakurai stated that we'd have to wait a bit longer than usual for CP10, could potentially allow Nintendo to finish enough work on both of them to allow for a double reveal at E3 (well, unless one or both of the characters are too deep and complex to allow that).
Didn’t he say two presentations left? Although they could just say “tune in to E3 for the final Smash Ultimate reveals” and the presentations would come later? Idk

Technomage

Smash Champion
Didn’t he say two presentations left? Although they could just say “tune in to E3 for the final Smash Ultimate reveals” and the presentations would come later? Idk
Well, I didn't say they'd both be released at E3; I assumed that the last one would be released a month after the second-last fighter. Though since he said only two presentations remain, he could reveal both characters and the first one's release date and Pack info within the E3 presentation, and reveal the last CP's info and release date in a second presentation a month later.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, I didn't say they'd both be released at E3; I assumed that the last one would be released a month after the second-last fighter. Though since he said only two presentations remain, he could reveal both characters and the first one's release date and Pack info within the E3 presentation, and reveal the last CP's info and release date in a second presentation a month later.
Wouldn’t the full fighter presentation in the E3 presentation take up a lot of time tho?

also for the Miis I was debating replacing the Squid Sisters in Min Min’s wave with Off the Hook, but if Octoling happens, I’d rather put the Off the Hook Miis there

also, if we were to get more ATs to Costumes as per Akira, Squid Sisters and Bomberman, who’d you like to see?

I wanna see Yuri Kozukata as a Gunner and maybe Rodin as a Brawler myself

Technomage

Smash Champion
Wouldn’t the full fighter presentation in the E3 presentation take up a lot of time tho?

also for the Miis I was debating replacing the Squid Sisters in Min Min’s wave with Off the Hook, but if Octoling happens, I’d rather put the Off the Hook Miis there

also, if we were to get more ATs to Costumes as per Akira, Squid Sisters and Bomberman, who’d you like to see?

I wanna see Yuri Kozukata as a Gunner and maybe Rodin as a Brawler myself
Huh, I haven't though about how much time a presentation would take; then again, I don't know how long E3 as a whole would take.

Now onto Mii Costumes based on ATs! I'd pretty much just want two versions of Krystal: A Swordfighter with her Adventures outfit and staff, and a Gunner with her Assault outfit and blaster. Oh, and a Krystal hat that wear it's practically her head on a Mii, not just the upper half of her head on top of a Mii's head.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Huh, I haven't though about how much time a presentation would take; then again, I don't know how long E3 as a whole would take.

Now onto Mii Costumes based on ATs! I'd pretty much just want two versions of Krystal: A Swordfighter with her Adventures outfit and staff, and a Gunner with her Assault outfit and blaster. Oh, and a Krystal hat that wear it's practically her head on a Mii, not just the upper half of her head on top of a Mii's head.
They could do it in the treehouses the following days after the main presentation but they usually dedicate that time to other games they want to show off, usually new ones

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We are 4 weeks away til E3. Who do you to see to be revealed the most?
ANY one of my most wanteds, even if it’s just one:
Reimu, Octoling, Ahri, Neku (kinda unlikely), Elma (super unlikely), Fiora (will take a MIRACLE for her), KOS-MOS and/or T-elos (ball’s in Namco’s court but they don’t seem to want to play)

if none of those I will at least settle for Ayumi or Crash

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The only two characters I want are Reimu and Porky. But there's plenty of characters I'd be down for. We'll just have to see, really.
To be honest, I really don't think the E3 reveal has to be "something big." It just has to be "Smash" as is par for the course.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not Smash related (necessarily) but

At the very least I do expect a new Kirby game teased
For some reason, I keep thinking the next Kirby game will be Super Mario Oddyssey, but with Kirby. Even though that's probably impossible at the moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom