• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm going to be real, the drought for information is super real so....

QUESTION: IF YOU HAD TO PUT A WATER/ICE BASED FIGHTER INTO SMASH, WHO WOULD IT BE?!
My choice is Meru from Legend of the Dragoon
Hmmm, that's a tough one.

If I don't have to justify it beyond "I want that one", it's probably Frog from Chrono Trigger.

Outside of that, most of my picks would too easily just go to pokemon. Like Seismitoad or Omastar would probably be my suggestions.

Or Mipha or Sidon. Liked them both well enough in Age of Calamity. Really probably wouldn't have used Mipha at all but her moveset was fire. er-water. fiery water.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm going to be real, the drought for information is super real so....

QUESTION: IF YOU HAD TO PUT A WATER/ICE BASED FIGHTER INTO SMASH, WHO WOULD IT BE?!
My choice is Meru from Legend of the Dragoon
View attachment 313766
Dota 2's Morphling.

He's a ****ing water elemental.

His lore has him landing on the planet in the midst of a battle and deciding "Screw it, I'mma kill both armies for funsies". Oh and someone the lore also has him existing in two planes at the same time for some reason. I have no ****ing clue how that works.

His in-game specialitites consists of A) "Blowing people up with his spells - which can combine with a late game item to allow the dreaded Shotgun combo":

B) "Transferring his strength into agility to do MAX damage / agility into strength to survive a lot of beatings and then use Waveform (that wave spell in the GIF) to escape" as well as C) "Copying an opponent's (or even ally with another late game item) and getting most of said opponent's Specials, allowing for even more destruction."

Oh and I love the little ****. Except playing vs. this guy. Then **** him.:roll:

Please Sakurai, put him in. I want to see the watery carnage that would ensue.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hmmm, that's a tough one.

If I don't have to justify it beyond "I want that one", it's probably Frog from Chrono Trigger.

Outside of that, most of my picks would too easily just go to pokemon. Like Seismitoad or Omastar would probably be my suggestions.

Or Mipha or Sidon. Liked them both well enough in Age of Calamity. Really probably wouldn't have used Mipha at all but her moveset was fire. er-water. fiery water.
I can’t believe I missed Frog. Chrono Trigger is one of my all time favorite games and Frog was my second favorite character after Magus.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

7NATOR

Smash Master
Happy Birthday C chocolatejr9

This has popped up recently. In case anyone doesn't know, the Epic Games vs Apple trial has brought some interesting documents to the light, like Samus being at least considered for Fortnite, among other things.

I thought it was interesting to share. And well, I know someone was going to share it sooner or later, because I know people will understand this as a death sentence for Kiryu in Smash.
The only thing I ask is that since Sega is a frequent partner of Nintendo, how they feel about the Yakuza series? I guess it's because Sega might make games about the Yakuza, but not actually work with them or such

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, today is the 2 month anniversary of Pyra/Mythra's Release, and with that I have a question for you guys

I may have mentioned something about this, but do you guys think we could get another Hero/Banjo situation in release dates, where the release windows are shorter than usual between characters (Around 30 days)?

One thing to notice is that if you want to go by the theory that DLC Characters are mainly developed in groups of 3, One thing I've seen is that the First character takes a long time to release (From when they were revealed and also the time until the next character release), but the next 2 characters is a shorter time window.

Joker and Min Min took a long time, and there was good gap in time to get to Hero and Steve. However Banjo and Sephiroth came earlier than expected.

Terry had a larger gap than the previous character, and Byleth had an even larger gap when it comes to release schedules. Pyra/Mythra had a longer time to release than Sephiroth, and it seems CP10 will have a longer gap than Pyra/Mythra on release. FP1 didn't have a 6th character, but if this timing theory is on point, we might get CP11 in a short gap of time from CP10 potentially

Of course, the Pandemic affects things, especially the balancing of the game, but yes?

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Are we sure Wario isn't a whale? I'm pretty sure he'd be that kind of guy who'd spend thousands on games. :4pacman:
Seriously tho, how is there not a mobile game that is loaded with microtransactions while Wario sits there and giggles and demands you to give him your money?

Every time you spend a microtransaction, "WARRRHARHARHARHAR MMMMMMMMMMONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY! EXCELLEEEEEEEENT!"

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I may have mentioned something about this, but do you guys think we could get another Hero/Banjo situation in release dates, where the release windows are shorter than usual between characters (Around 30 days)?
I've made Mr. Ludwig say it before, and by Jove, I'll make him say it again;
This game has just become too damn unpredictable at this point for me to care about who's in and when they are anymore.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What a dapper *ing whale, * your Cortez, give me that adorable hat wearing blubber mammal
He has no personality, no role in the story and has a total of one line in the whole game and he's one of the coolest characters in the series.

Well, we ARE lacking in playable whales...
There is already a brawl mod for him so that's a start.

fish.jpg

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Happy Birthday C chocolatejr9

The only thing I ask is that since Sega is a frequent partner of Nintendo, how they feel about the Yakuza series? I guess it's because Sega might make games about the Yakuza, but not actually work with them or such

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, today is the 2 month anniversary of Pyra/Mythra's Release, and with that I have a question for you guys

One thing to notice is that if you want to go by the theory that DLC Characters are mainly developed in groups of 3, One thing I've seen is that the First character takes a long time to release (From when they were revealed and also the time until the next character release), but the next 2 characters is a shorter time window.

Joker and Min Min took a long time, and there was good gap in time to get to Hero and Steve. However Banjo and Sephiroth came earlier than expected.

Terry had a larger gap than the previous character, and Byleth had an even larger gap when it comes to release schedules. Pyra/Mythra had a longer time to release than Sephiroth, and it seems CP10 will have a longer gap than Pyra/Mythra on release. FP1 didn't have a 6th character, but if this timing theory is on point, we might get CP11 in a short gap of time from CP10 potentially

Of course, the Pandemic affects things, especially the balancing of the game, but yes?
I am thinking of a Hero/Banjo situation but in a different sense

in that FP2 will close out with a JP appeal character like with hero (possible candidates are Reimu, a Tales character, or any other Japanese game character) and a Western appeal character like Banjo (Crash, League, Master Chief, even Apex Legends come to mind)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
He has no personality, no role in the story and has a total of one line in the whole game and he's one of the coolest characters in the series.

There is already a brawl mod for him so that's a start.

View attachment 313777
How does that even work? Lol. I’m not sure how the modder rigged that over a Brawl skeleton unless it isn’t rigged at all and is just static.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

in that FP2 will close out with a JP appeal character like with hero (possible candidates are Reimu, a Tales character, or any other Japanese game character) and a Western appeal character like Banjo (Crash, League, Master Chief, even Apex Legends come to mind)
CURRENTLY, I'm also thinking that yeah, we'll get both characters REVEALED at E3.

But if I'm being honest... not to be a Debbie Downer, but I do think Sephiroth and Steve were "the peak". Smash has a way in its history of "save the best for somewhere in the middle". Of course, this is all a subjective thing, but yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the last characters wasn't a Nintendo character/Pokemon character or something. Everyone is thinking of big new franchises, and not that I wouldn't want them, I'd love a lot of them. But I am kinda thinking that "another Sonic character" might be as hype as it gets.

Love to be wrong though. One last bundle of crazy before production ends would be fun.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
CURRENTLY, I'm also thinking that yeah, we'll get both characters REVEALED at E3.

But if I'm being honest... not to be a Debbie Downer, but I do think Sephiroth and Steve were "the peak". Smash has a way in its history of "save the best for somewhere in the middle". Of course, this is all a subjective thing, but yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the last characters wasn't a Nintendo character/Pokemon character or something. Everyone is thinking of big new franchises, and not that I wouldn't want them, I'd love a lot of them. But I am kinda thinking that "another Sonic character" might be as hype as it gets.

Love to be wrong though. One last bundle of crazy before production ends would be fun.
Even then, the last newcomer revealed for Brawl and base game Smash 4 were Olimar and Shulk who were good additions, so getting “perfectly good characters” as the last ones isn’t unrealistic.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How does that even work? Lol. I’m not sure how the modder rigged that over a Brawl skeleton unless it isn’t rigged at all and is just static.
It goes over Jigglypuff so for his final smash you get big fish.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

If you're comparing FP10 and 11 to Hero and Banjo, you've got to remember that we got Joker in April, not March, which made Hero in July more sensible than Hero in June, when we'll probably get FP10. So, could FP11 happen in August instead of September? Yeah, it's possible, but that kind of turnaround is less common, and unless Nintendo has a general Direct in August, which seems unlikely given history, I think they'd just wait until the Sept Direct.

I mean the theory isn't that they do three and then they finish and then they start another three, it's that three are worked on at a time, and when one finishes the next is moved into the cycle. I do think they finished FP1 and then started FP2, which is why the gap between Byleth and Min Min was what it was, but within the same pass, I believe they've got a revolving door of development.

You've also got to keep in mind that the intended release dates for FP2 characters are a bit more spread out, being tri-monthly, than the intended release dates for FP1 characters, which was mostly bi-monthly. So I think the chance of getting a Hero/Banjo situation reveal-wise is a lot likelier than release-wise.

Pillow

Smash Lord

Personally, I don’t think previous Smash games can really be used to establish any pattern in terms of what kind of reveals we’ll end on. This is only the second game to have dlc characters at all, and Ultimate has already broken many patterns for the types of characters we’ve come to expect, especially for third parties (seriously people are unironically considering Reimu to be a frontrunner). Plus, even if we look at 4, Bayonetta was still a pretty cool pick to end on even if she was less big than Cloud or Ryu.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Even then, the last newcomer revealed for Brawl and base game Smash 4 were Olimar and Shulk who were good additions, so getting “perfectly good characters” as the last ones isn’t unrealistic.
Dude, I lost my mind with Shulk. He was one of my most wanteds for that Smash. Like I said, it's kind of a subjective thing. What I meant was like... BIG HEADLINERS like "ONE OF THE BIGGEST VILLAINS OF ALL TIME, SEPHIROTH" or "FROM THE BIGGEST GAME EVER, MINECRAFT", or "You thought you'd never see Banjo again, well HERE HE IS". That kinda thing. That's more like what I meant, they tend to save those for the middle rather than the end.

Like, I am fine with just about any character. Most characters, even characters from games I'm not familiar with or games I don't really like, I'm usually like "Hey, alright, another fighter!" and I'm happy to have more content.

I think LITERALLY the only characters I would actually be lowkey mad about would be anything to do with Sonic Boom (let it rot, it's dead, don't dig it back up), Classic Sonic (he's already overstayed his welcome), and... maybe the Deadly Six? (Why does SEGA try to make them a thing?).

They could honestly add "A Shy Guy" and I'd actually kinda love it. Even if it was "another Fire Emblem guy with blue hair" I'd be like "Oh, that wouldn't have been my pick but eh whatever".

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Personally, I don’t think previous Smash games can really be used to establish any pattern in terms of what kind of reveals we’ll end on. This is only the second game to have dlc characters at all, and Ultimate has already broken many patterns for the types of characters we’ve come to expect, especially for third parties (seriously people are unironically considering Reimu to be a frontrunner). Plus, even if we look at 4, Bayonetta was still a pretty cool pick to end on even if she was less big than Cloud or Ryu.
In Smash 4's case, I think a lot of people consider Corrin to be the "low-key end" character, on the basis that they were announced and released alongside Bayonetta. At least, that's what it looks like from what I've seen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's always the opportunity for precedent to get broken but they closed out FP1 with Byleth (which was, at one point, the last character planned) and they closed out base with Incineroar and Ken - and that's just looking at this game - so my expectations for how they'll wrap up this pass are similarly tempered.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Plus, even if we look at 4, Bayonetta was still a pretty cool pick to end on even if she was less big than Cloud or Ryu.
Things like this make it harder to describe how the later reveals are different to earlier ones without defaulting to "lower budget". Wolf would be "lower budget" because regardless of what type of clone he is if he even is one, Fox assets were clearly the key to adding him. Bayonetta might be "lower budget" since she's from a smaller IP. Byleth might be "lower budget" because they don't have to pay a third party for them.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Dude, I lost my mind with Shulk. He was one of my most wanteds for that Smash. Like I said, it's kind of a subjective thing. What I meant was like... BIG HEADLINERS like "ONE OF THE BIGGEST VILLAINS OF ALL TIME, SEPHIROTH" or "FROM THE BIGGEST GAME EVER, MINECRAFT", or "You thought you'd never see Banjo again, well HERE HE IS". That kinda thing. That's more like what I meant, they tend to save those for the middle rather than the end.

Like, I am fine with just about any character. Most characters, even characters from games I'm not familiar with or games I don't really like, I'm usually like "Hey, alright, another fighter!" and I'm happy to have more content.

I think LITERALLY the only characters I would actually be lowkey mad about would be anything to do with Sonic Boom (let it rot, it's dead, don't dig it back up), Classic Sonic (he's already overstayed his welcome), and... maybe the Deadly Six? (Why does SEGA try to make them a thing?).

They could honestly add "A Shy Guy" and I'd actually kinda love it. Even if it was "another Fire Emblem guy with blue hair" I'd be like "Oh, that wouldn't have been my pick but eh whatever".
Honestly... I haven't played anything with the Deadly Six in it, so my opinion doesn't mean much, but they don't really look interesting from the little I've seen. Even so, it does make me a little happy that they're still trying to put new characters into the "core cast", instead of just stopping.

But yeah, I wish they were doing it with a better character than Zavok.

And don't even get me started on Classic Sonic. God, now that you've brought it up he's, like, my least wanted. I'm sick of this dude.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In Smash 4's case, I think a lot of people consider Corrin to be the "low-key end" character, on the basis that they were announced and released alongside Bayonetta. At least, that's what it looks like from what I've seen.
People also consider Bayonetta to be more lowkey anyways.

At any rate, it’s really hard for most characters to get the same level of poor reception Byleth got as the final character, so that is something to consider.

7NATOR

Smash Master

I have been leaning on this idea more, thought that's more based of the potential predictions I'm making and not the idea itself. It still does make sense to do it at the end since Steve and Sephiroth appealed to every region

At the least, Another Sonic character and Sephiroth are comparable in terms of Hype I feel

Eggman is now considered one of the more hype additions they could add to the game as an example. The main thing Sephiroth would have over Another Sonic character is that He Was a more shocking addition, He has more love in Japan than any other Sonic character would, and FF7 is more revered than Sonic as a franchise in terms of critical reception.

Though if they Add in Shadow or Knuckles, they'd probably be more shocking than Sephiroth since not many people expect Assists to be promoted, and Shadow in particular because many people think he's only good for echo fighter.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I still remember the Nintendo Store NY "live reaction" and the guy in the crowd saying "NOT ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERRRRRR" during the Corrin reveal video.

I think from what I remember of that (it was a hard time for Smash speculation, people were so violent with me that I honestly got stressed and forgot exactly how some of it went) it was really just people didn't want another Fire Emblem dude.

There's always the opportunity for precedent to get broken but they closed out FP1 with Byleth (which was, at one point, the last character planned) and they closed out base with Incineroar and Ken - and that's just looking at this game - so my expectations for how they'll wrap up this pass are similarly tempered.
AYOOOOOOOOOO! WE TAG TEAMIN!

Honestly... I haven't played anything with the Deadly Six in it, so my opinion doesn't mean much, but they don't really look interesting from the little I've seen. Even so, it does make me a little happy that they're still trying to put new characters into the "core cast", instead of just stopping.

But yeah, I wish they were doing it with a better character than Zavok.

And don't even get me started on Classic Sonic. God, now that you've brought it up he's, like, my least wanted. I'm sick of this dude.
Classic Sonic was cute for Sonic Generations. He was the guest of honor for 20th Anniversary. Then he stayed way too long and now we're just like "Dude, party's over! Let me hang out with my other friends!"

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What character could be hated enough to get anywhere near 80k dislikes on their character presentation?
A house leader? Since Byleth uses their weapons, Dmitri/Edelgard/Claude would be accused of being echoes of them, alongside being considered redundant because Byleth already promoted 3H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom