• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait actually I remembered something. Does (or did) Konami have ties to the Yakuza at one point? I remember reading something like that in 2015/2016 when they were being a peak awful company (let’s just say the pachinko fever was the tip of the iceberg)
Can anyone confirm this? Maybe this is why Snake wasn’t in Smash 4...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So I guess that Inkling in Fortnite data mine or whatever was from something we can now safely assume is cancelled?
I don't know if that datamine was actually real. Samus has been indeed considered, as the recent documents have proved. But we don't know if she was denied by Nintendo or she's just coming at a later date (the document kinda made it look like she was supposed to come around the same time as Chief and Kratos).

Wait actually I remembered something. Does (or did) Konami have ties to the Yakuza at one point? I remember reading something like that in 2015/2016 when they were being a peak awful company (let’s just say the pachinko fever was the tip of the iceberg)
So, based on the tweet I'd assume it's just standard? Besides, Yakuza itself is just a depiction of organized crime. It doesn't mean Sega has actual ties to the yakuza, right?

Right?
It hasn't been confirmed. But I've read rumors about Konami or Sega having some yakuza connections at some point. But it's probably just that, rumors.

Nintendo has also been "accused" of the same during the 90s, as far as I remember.

It's so funny that Kiryu specifically gets this treatment a lot with people claiming he's deconfirmed because of a Tekken statement and how Nagoshi hates Nintendo because he said Nintendo's generally popular with kids. Like, damn, why Kiryu specifically?
Because I guess Nagoshi it's an easy target. He will have his preferences but some Nintendo related websites have shown that they don't hesitate to make clickbait articles when it comes to him, when he never said that in bad faith.

It's also easy because that gives people an excuse or justification to why Yakuza isn't on Switch. "See, Nagoshi hates Nintendo, that's why they don't port Yakuza games to the Switch" When the more likely and realistic answer is that Sega probably doesn't consider that the series has an audience on Nintendo, either that or Nintendo not really doing an effort to bring the series to their platform, like Microsoft has been doing in the past few years, because if it was up to Sega Yakuza would probably be just a Playstation/PC series, IMO.

Last edited:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I'm like half a day late on this, but as a big Rayman fan (top 3 most wanted since brawl) I'll explain why I personally don't have much remaining hope.

For starters, you'd think it'd have happened already. More than a couple games on Nintendo platforms, then to top that list with the Rabbids crossover, I thought for sure he was coming to smash. Especially with how odd I thought it was that they didn't use the chance to make Rayman and Mario meet up.

Also around sm4shs development, Michel Ancel, who created Rayman, was asked in an interview "Can Rayman kick Mario's ass?" and he responded "Uh, maybe we'll have the answer very soon."

Ubisoft was originally going to timed-exclusive that game for the Wii U, but decided to halt its release to work on other consoles' versions first, for a full mult-plat release.

I think Nintendo took that really personally, especially with how much the console struggled. I'd be willing to bet Rayman was supposed to be in Sm4sh, and was pulled.

Ubisoft making an appearance in costumes did restore a little hope, on that maybe they've made amends, but putting yourself in Sakurais shoes: if you had spent any real amount of time trying to work a character into your game just to have to shelve it however far along in development, knowing that time could have been spent on someone else, it'd probably leave a bad taste in your mouth and make you not want to revisit that character.

That's just how I interpret things surrounding him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know if that datamine was actually real. Samus has been indeed considered, as the recent documents have proved. But we don't know if she was denied by Nintendo or she's just coming at a later date (the document kinda made it look like she was supposed to come around the same time as Chief and Kratos).

It hasn't been confirmed. But I've read rumors about Konami or Sega having some yakuza connections at some point. But it's probably just that, rumors.

Nintendo has also been "accused" of the same during the 90s, as far as I remember.

Because I guess Nagoshi it's an easy target. He will have his preferences but some Nintendo related websites have shown that they don't hesitate to make clickbait articles when it comes to him, when he never said that in bad faith.

It's also easy because that gives people an excuse or justification to why Yakuza isn't on Switch. "See, Nagoshi hates Nintendo, that's why they don't port Yakuza games to the Switch" When the more likely and realistic answer is that Sega probably doesn't consider that the series has an audience on Nintendo, either that or Nintendo not really doing an effort to bring the series to their platform, like Microsoft has been doing in the past few years, because if it was up to Sega Yakuza would probably be just a Playstation/PC series, IMO.
All I remember about the supposed “Inkling datamine” was that there was a codename that was literally “squidkid”. Idk if that was confirmed to be legit tho, probably not

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm like half a day late on this, but as a big Rayman fan (top 3 most wanted since brawl) I'll explain why I personally don't have much remaining hope.

For starters, you'd think it'd have happened already. More than a couple games on Nintendo platforms, then to top that list with the Rabbids crossover, I thought for sure he was coming to smash. Especially with how odd I thought it was that they didn't use the chance to make Rayman and Mario meet up.

Also around sm4shs development, Michel Ancel, who created Rayman, was asked in an interview "Can Rayman kick Mario's ass?" and he responded "Uh, maybe we'll have the answer very soon."

Ubisoft was originally going to timed-exclusive that game for the Wii U, but decided to halt its release to work on other consoles' versions first, for a full mult-plat release.

I think Nintendo took that really personally, especially with how much the console struggled. I'd be willing to bet Rayman was supposed to be in Sm4sh, and was pulled.

Ubisoft making an appearance in costumes did restore a little hope, on that maybe they've made amends, but putting yourself in Sakurais shoes: if you had spent any real amount of time trying to work a character into your game just to have to shelve it however far along in development, knowing that time could have been spent on someone else, it'd probably leave a bad taste in your mouth and make you not want to revisit that character.

That's just how I interpret things surrounding him.
I believe Rayman's Smash 4 trophy came about because Ubi just sent Nintendo a model, right? I think Sakurai just made that into a trophy because it was right there, which would imply Rayman wasn't in development in the first place. As weird as this might sound out of context, I think we can rest assured that Rayman wasn't considered and scrapped midway through.

Plus, if Rayman was intended to promote Legends' Wii U release, I think he'd be left in as is like with Roy coming before FE6's release and Lucas being from an unlocalized game.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
All I remember about the supposed “Inkling datamine” was that there was a codename that was literally “squidkid”. Idk if that was confirmed to be legit tho, probably not
I haven't heard about it since then, I guess it wasn't real.

I also have a hard time figuring out how an Inkling would look in Fortnite to be honest haha

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, so remember the Fighter Exploration Thread we were brainstorming for the other day? Here's what we've got so far:
So we've discussed this a little, and so far we seem to have...
  1. The current name we seem to be sticking with is "Character/Fighter Exploration Thread"
  2. Every couple days, it focuses on certain characters. People can discuss movesets, stages, the character's backstory, the series itself, basically just anything relating to the character
  3. A noms system like in RTC would be implemented to encourage people to stick around, even if they don't know/care about the character that much. Five would be the minimum; More would be awarded for writeups, gameplay concepts (Movesets, stages, etc.), and asking questions about the character and related topics
  4. To avoid A: People cramming a bunch of questions into their posts at once, and B: Not have people take questions before another could ask them, you can ask only one question per post. After that, you need to wait for people to ask a couple more questions (2-3?) before you can ask yours. Other nom-worthy posts like unprompted (Re: Not responding to a question) movesets or writeups can lower that wait as well
Currently, I'm trying to figure out how those threads pinned at the top of the navigation page work. It's general but organized, like RTC and that inactive Echo voting thing, so I feel like it'd work pinned up there. That being said, I'm not sure what the criteria is, so I'm trying to figure that one out so we can take it into account for if/when the FET is set up.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, based on the tweet I'd assume it's just standard? Besides, Yakuza itself is just a depiction of organized crime. It doesn't mean Sega has actual ties to the yakuza, right?

Right?
Well, actual yakuza members think Yakuza is very accurate to the life of a yakuza. Don't ask if that includes singing J-Pop at karaoke bars.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm not going to argue this with you. I'm just saying that Sakurai means what he says.
Sakurai: "Ridley is simply too large to be an effective playable fighter."

Bro there's already evidence he's changed his mindset on that after a literal decade, people change like how Sakurai's changed his mindset multiple times
I especially remember how, back in Brawl, Sakurai was pissed off about people watching Subspace Emissary on youtube and spoiling all the character reveals. Now he seems to LIVE for those character reveal trailers.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai: "Ridley is simply too large to be an effective playable fighter."
I know people love misquoting him on this one but he was talking about how hard it would be, not how it was impossible.

I especially remember how, back in Brawl, Sakurai was pissed off about people watching Subspace Emissary on youtube and spoiling all the character reveals. Now he seems to LIVE for those character reveal trailers.
You know story cutscenes and reveal trailers are two different things, right?

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I know people love misquoting him on this one but he was talking about how hard it would be, not how it was impossible.

Plus, Ultimate doesn't even have very many story cutscenes, and even the ones with spoilers (such as Dharkon's reveal) don't really spoil that much (after all, the game's story is simplistic enough to make spoilers a not-big deal).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Vader/Yoda confirmed.

Technomage

Smash Champion

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Vader/Yoda confirmed.

And this is the point where we bring up how SmashWiki listed Anakin as a fighter for April Fools

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not in Brawl they weren't. A lot of characters didn't even get trailers before launch, because you were supposed to be surprised when playing through SSE.

Now, Sakurai acknowledges that in-game surprise reveals aren't possible, and pours all that cutscene energy into the trailers.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
If Golden Week isn't preventing it from happening, and we don't get an event tournament...

Who do you think is getting spirited away tonight? If there's a spirit event, that is.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
And this is the point where we bring up how SmashWiki listed Anakin as a fighter for April Fools
Never forget his best alt:

Which does show in the final product - not just with his standing up taunt but also how precarious Ridley's status can be. There are instances where he can steamroll and make the opponent feel like they're getting brutalized by a terrifying beast - but there are also instances where Ridley can get absolutely clobbered.

Now, I do like how he plays for the most part: he absolutely plays like a brutal destructive force with his Swiss Army Knife-esque offense. That said, I do think that Ridley could use some QoL buffs: not only to his weight but also to his airspeed just a tad (plus maybe looking at his Specials to improve them just a tad) so he can survive a bit longer. It shows how precarious including really big characters like him can be.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
:ultness::ultlucas::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultinklingboy::ultvillager::ultvillagerf: mains better watch out, Anakin has a special advantage against Younglings, just slaughters them in matchups.
It's actually said he has a winning matchup against not just the men, but the women and children too, and he slaughters them like animals.

So, I dunno, play ROB?
I'm going to be real, the drought for information is super real so....

QUESTION: IF YOU HAD TO PUT A WATER/ICE BASED FIGHTER INTO SMASH, WHO WOULD IT BE?!
My choice is Meru from Legend of the Dragoon
View attachment 313766
Vaporeon as part of Eevee's moveset.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

QUESTION: IF YOU HAD TO PUT A WATER/ICE BASED FIGHTER INTO SMASH, WHO WOULD IT BE?!
View attachment 313766
Miriam's Blue Rose sword, easily her most iconic weapon which also influenced the design for her whip in CotM2, is an ice sword

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Golden Week isn't preventing it from happening, and we don't get an event tournament...

Who do you think is getting spirited away tonight? If there's a spirit event, that is.
It'll be a mundane spirit event like spirits doing headstands.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Gengar84

Smash Hero

View attachment 313766
I would love to see Sub-Zero, Glacius, Sneasel, or the Lich King for ice. For water, Golisopod, Kabutops, Blastoise, Aqua, Mipha, or Tidus would be really cool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom