• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I only watched the Indie World out of disbelief when I heard about a new Getsu Fuma Den. You done good this time Konami.

Other than that, the new TMNT looks really good, the "wait around for 400 days real-time" game looks interesting (but nobody's ever gonna buy it with that pitch lmao) and nothing else really.
Next: Metal Gear Solid Remake, Castlevania 1999 and Silent Hill 5.

...:(

And the 400 days game it's an already released game. Now it's coming to Switch. So I guess someone finished it and posted it on Youtube or something.

Ivander

Smash Legend
We got Getsu Fuuma Den. ...Now it would be a good time for Bandai to do something with Genpei Toumaden, right?
I mean, there is the DLC Theme for Pac-Man 99.

On a serious note, I was not aware Pac-Man 99 had DLC and after looking at them, can I just say at how frickin' creative the DLC is. Like man, I know it's Pac-Man and it's easy to re-create compared to Super Mario 35, but man, doesn't stop me from wishing Super Mario 35 did the same with other NES games or skins like a Zelda theme or Metroid theme. And some are really creative like the Dragon Buster one and it's cool to see some cool classic themes like Legend of Valkyrie and Tower of Duraga. And like I said, Genpei Toumaden is one of the themes as well.
Actually there’s a GetsuFumaDen song in Smash. Huh, I forgot about that.
Yep, it's the song that came with Getsu Fuma for the Castlevania game, Harmony of Despair. Which was fun and had alot of potential, but they didn't do that much with it. But yeah, Getsu Fuma was one of the DLC characters for Harmony of Despair and he came with a stage and two music. The one you just posted and the Boss theme for Ryukotsuki.
Bruh I just ****ing realized we were talking about a samurai from the NES days who's game stayed in Japan while people wanted that game to come back. Rip Takamaru but Konami's trying a redemption arc
I noticed that too. And Mysterious Murasame Castle is the sister series to Zelda like Getsu Fuma Den is to Castlevania. Come Nintendo! Where's our samurai's time to shine?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hmm, I wonder why I never really considered Phantasy Star a possibility for Smash before?

A classic JRPG franchise that's been around since the 8-bit era, that is still popular today, especially in Japan.

Seems a lot more likely than the far more discussed Xenosaga now that I think about it...

I only watched the Indie World out of disbelief when I heard about a new Getsu Fuma Den. You done good this time Konami.
Really? I missed that.

And it's a Metrovania to boot!

Next: Metal Gear Solid Remake, Castlevania 1999 and Silent Hill 5.
Forget MGS. The thing that really needs a remake is Metal Gear.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yep, it's the song that came with Getsu Fuma for the Castlevania game, Harmony of Despair. Which was fun and had alot of potential, but they didn't do that much with it. But yeah, Getsu Fuma was one of the DLC characters for Harmony of Despair and he came with a stage and two music. The one you just posted and the Boss theme for Ryukotsuki.
Kinda funny how the cover of Harmony of Despair features 0 Belmonts.

Not the first time I say this but I feel like the fans from the metroidvania side of the series are more into non-Belmont characters. Which makes sense I guess considering that there's only a metroidvania entry with a Belmont as a protagonist while in other entries they have secondary roles at best.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Konami and Sega are my favourite indies. :p

I am completely behind Sega's "you want to use one of our old IPs? Knock yourself out" mentality that is/has gotten us stuff like Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage, Wonder Boy, and now, apparently, House of the Dead.

I see your point, but for Cuphead I don't think this series is going to die or be forgotten. There's the dlc coming eventually, the tv series coming on Netflix, and yesterday they announced a museum exhibit. Cuphead also has a lot of official merch such as T-shirt, mug, poster etc. Cuphead is insanely huge for indie game standard. The game Cuphead has sold 6 million copies alone (to put it in perspective, Shantae whole franchise has sold 3 millions games). I don't think Cuphead will suddenly disappear.

Now, does that make it a lock for the next game? Definitely not. But I do think that indie games will be something that they might be interested to give a chance in the next game and Cuphead could be a possibility. That being said, Cuphead will always have a problem and it will be his animation styles. The Smash team always want to present the characters the most accurately possible, and Cuphead is mostly known for his unique animation style. I doubt that the animation team could copy it because it use hand drawn animation and I'm not sure if it can be done easily by the Smash team.
Well, I didn't say Cuphead will suddenly disappear, I said a lot can happen between now and the next Smash to shift the perspective on how likely a series looks. There's no reason to believe Toby Fox won't keep doing his thing, and Microsoft/Bethesda won't continue making Fallout games either. And Bomberman is still going to have had that history which at one point made him a popular pick. He's also the only Japanese one, so far, which helps. But we can't predict the nature or success of their future ventures, what new indies and other series might arise since then, and Smash's aims for future inclusions.

And what, are they going to exclude Cuphead because they can't hand-animate him for Smash? Studio MDHR was fine with him just being a skin with a static face, they're not going to complain if he receives the treatment of every other character. Even among games, Smash is noted for its faithfulness animation-wise, whether it's with Mega Man's run, Simon/Richter's walk or... Steve. I'm sure that will be enough for the parties involved, should they choose to implement Cuphead. No one is going to expect hand-drawn animation out of a 3D project. That doesn't preclude expressiveness, look at DK or Dedede.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Kinda funny how the cover of Harmony of Despair features 0 Belmonts.

Not the first time I say this but I feel like the fans from the metroidvania side of the series are more into non-Belmont characters. Which makes sense I guess considering that there's only a metroidvania entry with a Belmont as a protagonist while in other entries they have secondary roles at best.
Maybe it's because IGA wanted to experiment with the gameplay a bit more. Belmonts can't really steal Souls like Soma or create demonic familiars like Hector. Though, the Belmont's influence is still felt throughout most of the IGA-era games; The only times where the whip-wielders don't show up is in Circle of the Moon, which is non-canon, and Order of Ecclesia, and even then I believe the villagers are revealed to be descended from the Belmonts anyways.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm surprised so many seem to have known about Getsu Fuma Den prior to today, frankly.

But those are exactly the kind of games I like to see come back. Hell, it doesn't even need to be that obscure. Please Konami, can we get some Goemon and Twinbee up in here?

In any case, it's the only game I know I'm going to get from this showcase. Though with some of the people I know I have a feeling I'm going to end up playing the TMNT game more than a few times, lol.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Hmm, I wonder why I never really considered Phantasy Star a possibility for Smash before?

A classic JRPG franchise that's been around since the 8-bit era, that is still popular today, especially in Japan.
I think we never really considered it because at the time, it was still stuck in Japan and we are stuck to Sakurai's notes of "Japanese popularity" and "Worldwide popularity" regarding Takamaru. We're probably thinking about it now that Phantasy Star Online 2 has actually come out to the West and New Genesis is coming out to both Japan And the West,
I'm surprised so many seem to have known about Getsu Fuma Den prior to today, frankly.

But those are exactly the kind of games I like to see come back. Hell, it doesn't even need to be that obscure. Please Konami, can we get some Goemon and Twinbee up in here?
It wasn't that long ago when I mentioned Getsu Fuma and Konami Wai Wai World, when I made a post of Konami Wai Wai World Spirits to epicmartin, and being a fan of Konami games, like Sunset Riders, Sparkster/Rocket Knight, Boktai, etc.

Not to mention some people probably looked it up after seeing the song in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think we never really considered it because at the time, it was still stuck in Japan and we are stuck to Sakurai's notes of "Japanese popularity" and "Worldwide popularity" regarding Takamaru.
I mean...PSO2 was stuck in Japan, sure. But LOTS of Phantasy Star games have been released in NA. It was actually one of the Genesis' big franchises. And PSO1 was a whole thing here.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe it's because IGA wanted to experiment with the gameplay a bit more. Belmonts can't really steal Souls like Soma or create demonic familiars like Hector. Though, the Belmont's influence is still felt throughout most of the IGA-era games; The only times where the whip-wielders don't show up is in Circle of the Moon, which is non-canon, and Order of Ecclesia, and even then I believe the villagers are revealed to be descended from the Belmonts anyways.
Yeah, that is for sure one of the reasons. Though I think there are ways to maintain a Belmont gameplay while adding some new mechanics or weapons. Belmonts use the whip as their main weapon but they can totally use other weapons as well.

About Order of Ecclesia, yeah, that's true. Portrait of Ruin has also some Belmont references. And the Sorrow games feature Julius Belmont, and you can play as him after beating the game thanks to Julius Mode.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, that is for sure one of the reasons. Though I think there are ways to maintain a Belmont gameplay while adding some new mechanics or weapons. Belmonts use the whip as their main weapon but they can totally use other weapons as well.

About Order of Ecclesia, yeah, that's true. Portrait of Ruin has also some Belmont references. And the Sorrow games feature Julius Belmont, and you can play as him after beating the game thanks to Julius Mode.
Yeah, Jonathan's more or less a Belmont in all but name (And ability to use the Vampire Killer properly). He's basically what happens when you add new mechanics to a Belmont. Though, something else that's worth noting is that a decent amount of the metroidvanias take place A: After a previous installment, and/or B: Before Dracula's scheduled resurrection. Perhaps it's just easier lore/narrative-wise to make a new character with their own abilities than add in another Belmont.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Would you happen to have any data to source to support that? Just curious because I'd be really interested to see the financial breakdown of Mii Costume sales. I'm wondering if it will hold any water at predicting future characters.
Sadly not because I’d love that info too. I was guesstimating based on the insane reaction that costume’s reveal got & how many people still refer to Mii Gunner as Sans lol

Frisk is my most wanted Undertale rep, but I don't know if they're the one Sakurai and Toby would go with. I've spent hours working on how a Pacifist gimmick would work, and the current version is still a bit of a mess (it doesn't work in anything more than a 1v1, items break it and a ditto between two Pasifrisks is unwinnable). Even if I think of ways to fix those issues, there's still no guarantee it'll actually be fun to play. But you can't ignore pacifism, a moveset where Frisk has no choice but to fight would be a massive contradiction of Undertale. Sakurai might just think it easier to add Papyrus or Susie, who would be perfectly logical additions.
I’ve had the idea that Frisk wouldn’t do much fighting (maybe just the jab & aerials). But they would summon various characters from Undertale to attack fthem similar to Captain Commando in MvC.

I think that would represent Undertale‘s theme of the power of love & friendship. It’d also represent the various sections of the game since each section is represented by 1 or 2 characters.

Don't forget that now Fallout is a Microsoft ip, so not only it might be harder to get it in the future, it's now need to compete against Master chief, Doom, Battletoads and Killer instinct among others.

I liked Aerial knights, Cris tales, House of the dead remake and Aztech: forgotten worlds. The Konami game also looks good, but it's only coming in 2022.
Oh of course. I was mainly just thinking that if they were considering Fallout then they’d probably want a WRPG character specifically, in which case Elder Scrolls would give Fallout some serious competition.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean...PSO2 was stuck in Japan, sure. But LOTS of Phantasy Star games have been released in NA. It was actually one of the Genesis' big franchises. And PSO1 was a whole thing here.
Yes it was, but we wouldn't get a Phantasy Star game since 2010. The last one we got was Phantasy Star Portable 2. Portable 2 Infinity and Phantasy Star Nova were only released in Japan and despite Sega of America constantly stating it was coming, we did not get Phantasy Star Online 2 for Eight Years.
It was around 9 years and 7 months since the last Phantasy Star game that came to the West when Phantasy Star Online 2 finally released, with Portable 2 coming out in September 2010 and PSO2 coming out in April 2020.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Other than that, the new TMNT looks really good, the "wait around for 400 days real-time" game looks interesting (but nobody's ever gonna buy it with that pitch lmao) and nothing else really.
If KONAMI of ALL Companies brought back a classic cult nes-era videogame, then what is Bandai doing for Genpei Toumaden?
Tried looking up the developers (They're listed as Konami and GuruGuru, according to the press brief and Steam page) and this Polygon article proved helpful:

Shin Murato, producer of GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon at Konami, said in a news release that Early Access “gives us a great opportunity to build a community for GetsuFumaDen and ensure the game is as strong as possible. Throughout this period, we want to utilise user feedback and foster an active discussion to increase the quality of the game. We will work very closely with our community to help bring this game to life through content review, bug fixes, and balancing.”

“We look forward to entering Early Access and actively working in partnership with the community on a title that speaks to our passion about design, visuals, and story,” said Yuki Yama****a, director at GuruGuru. “We’re excited to hear the community’s feedback with a goal to shape and evolve the game as we move forward in development.”
GuruGuru appears to be based in Japan (yes, this is with very limited info on them). I'm not entirely sure if Konami's going to go fully back on having development teams, but them having production staff appears to be a step in the right direction so far.

Is nobody tallking about that House of the Dead remake?
Wait there was?

Huh, that looks kinda promising all things considered. Will be watching it and see how it turns out.

• Aztech, which is pretty much high-tech Aztec-inspired action adventure
Which is nice to see - most of the time when Aztec-related stuff appear in video games it's in strategy games (Civilization, Crusader Kings / Europa Universalis, Age of Empires etc.). There's definetely a lot of interesting room to explore with that as an action adventure setting.

Alsoexcusetopostthis:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
...now that you said that I'm actually a little mad we're getting this instead of a new Goemon game.

Yes it was, but we wouldn't get a Phantasy Star game since 2010. The last one we got was Phantasy Star Portable 2. Portable 2 Infinity and Phantasy Star Nova were only released in Japan and despite Sega of America constantly stating it was coming, we did not get Phantasy Star Online 2 for Eight Years.
Sure, but...I was comparing it to Xenosaga. Which gets discussed here quite often.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sure, but...I was comparing it to Xenosaga. Which gets discussed here quite often.
A number of reasons:
  1. KOS-MOS is still appearing in games, with Project X Zone and Xenoblade 2. Even if her games are done, she has still been appearing in games long past her series.
  2. We kept thinking Xenoblade 2 missed their chance, so we'd default to either KOS-MOS or Elma.
  3. We keep wondering whether a Namco character will appear or not and KOS-MOS is a frequent subject because of her series connection to Xenoblade and her being a common Namco crossover character. Not to mention she has appeared with Nintendo characters before.
It's not exactly hard to wonder why we talked more about KOS-MOS than Phantasy Star. KOS-MOS still kept appearing in games that came to the West, including the very popular Xenoblade 2. Phantasy Star wouldn't come to the West for 9 years and 7 months and those of us who weren't somehow playing the Japanese version were not going to hear any news for and of it until 2020.
New videos for GetsuFumaDen for anyone who was interested in it. Konami said it's a sequel to the original and the new one is a roguelik

So first impressions of it, I really do like the artstyle for it. It reminds me quite a bit of Okami while also giving me vibes of games like Blasphemous. That said, I think they really need to tone down some of the blood cause the blood really obscures your character and the fighting. Like I don't mind the idea of it being bloody, but it really needs to tone down a bit so that it's not blocking your vision and possibly making it hard to know when your opponent is attacking.

The gameplay looks decent so far.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Phantasy Star is a series I'm surprised doesn't get brought up more as well. Phantasy Star 2 may be the game I played the most, but you gotta go with Alis Landale for Smash! But seriously, it's a shocking influential series that was a pillar for Sega through the years and continues to this day with PSO2. The original Phantasy Star Online was so fascinating to me as a kid. I had the issue of Expert Gamer where they covered it for Dreamcast and the idea of going online on your console to play a game was so mindblowing, especially one that was such a cool sci-fi adventure!

Phantasy Star 2 was such a uniquely fascinating experience to me when I went through the Genesis games I had missed. My friends swear up and down that Shining Force 2 is the best RPG on the system, and it's a great game, but there's something so gripping and engaging about Phantasy Star 2 for me, even if most "best RPGs ever" lists would put 4 on their rankings.

But for real, Phantasy Star 2, Phantasy Star 4, Phantasy Star Online, and Phantasy Star Online 2 should be enough to put them in the conversation. Hell, after the Dreamcast PSO coming to GameCube was a BIG deal! It's nice to see a classic long-running and cool Sega series get a little bit of time to shine.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Well, it's Phantasy Star and sci-fi, so it wouldn't be surprising if the armor took some Sci-fi notes.

But like I said, it's practically Phantasy Star's version of Marth/Sigurd.
Marth's modern design looks so much like Rolf from PSII that I unironically think someone at Intys really liked Phantasy Star

Alot of Fire Emblem 4 characters strangely resemble Phantasy Star 3 cast too

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So first impressions of it, I really do like the artstyle for it. It reminds me quite a bit of Okami while also giving me vibes of games like Blasphemous. That said, I think they really need to tone down some of the blood cause the blood really obscures your character and the fighting. Like I don't mind the idea of it being bloody, but it really needs to tone down a bit so that it's not blocking your vision and possibly making it hard to know when your opponent is attacking.

The gameplay looks decent so far.
Glad to see I'm not the only one of this opinion. The roguelite/metroidvania mix brings to mind Dead Cells, which put an emphasis on being able to react to your opponent's attacks and reacting accordingly by dodging or blocking. If this game's anything like that, it's gonna be kinda difficult to do avoid the attacks if you can't even see them. Think the blood splashes should be shrunken down, so it doesn't obscure the fighting.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Marth's modern design looks so much like Rolf from PSII that I unironically think someone at Intys really liked Phantasy Star

Alot of Fire Emblem 4 characters strangely resemble Phantasy Star 3 cast too
Fun fact. The graphic designer for Phantasy Star 1 and 2 would also do Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Altered Beast and Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2, would direct Phantasy Star IV and would be the producer for Skies of Arcadia, Deep Fear and The 7th Dragon series.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Fun fact. The graphic designer for Phantasy Star 1 and 2 would also do Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Altered Beast and Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2, would direct Phantasy Star IV and would be the producer for Skies of Arcadia, Deep Fear and The 7th Dragon series.
Yes Reiko Kodama is a Legend

I love all the little SEGA references she put in 7th Dragon
1618436295519.png
1618436311386.png

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Parden me but what is Getsu Fuma Den?
I don't know much about it (I think it had some music included in Smash under the Castlevania section), but by my understanding, it's like an obscure sister series to Castlevania, with Japanese mythology as the inspiration instead of monster movies. (kind of like how Kid Icarus is to the NES Metroid, or how the Mysterious Murasame Castle is to the Legend of Zelda)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The two most telling things about Getsu Fuma Den's reveal is Konami not only reviving a smaller IP via an indie studio (perhaps a revival of Rocket Knight and Star Soldier might be their way too?) and that its exclusive to both Switch and PC. This very well might suggest Konami sees Nintendo as the ideal console means for the more modest titles, especially given its growing reputation as an indie haven. While any AAA series returns will get their time on PS5 and Xbox, I think Konami sees money in the Switch for niche properties.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Parden me but what is Getsu Fuma Den?

Getsu Fuma Den is an NES game done by Konami. It is the sister series to Castlevania like how Takamaru's game, Mysterious Murasame Castle, is the sister series to the Legend of Zelda and Kid Icarus to Metroid. Basically, it's done by the same team or at least most of them. Getsu Fuma Den plays like a much better version of Zelda II: Adventure of Link where you roam on a world map and you do areas like a platformer stage with your sword and your sub-weapons. However, there are also some very unique "dungeon-crawler" like sections as well where you go through an area like a dungeon crawler and you fight against enemies in full time using your weapons. Your main goal is to slay the demon Ryotsuki or Ryu Kokki.

Getsu Fuma wold be an early cameo or crossover character for early Konami games like Wai Wai World 1 and 2. Getsu Fuma and Ryu Kokki would also later become cards in Yugioh and would also appear as DLC in the Castlevania game, Harmony of Despair.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm doubtful of the Phantasy Star leak, because it claimed we'd get Ryu Hayabusa and FP3, and while those aren't entirely out of the question, we have since been given information that make both seem less likely to happen. With that said, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I think Phantasy Star would be an excellent series to get a character from. I've never played it or looked into it much, but I've always heard it's very good. A great choice if it ends up happening!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Never thought I'd see a new Ghosts n Goblins game in this day and age, let alone a new Getsu Fuuma Den title/reboot. Is cool that Konami still has a soft spot for it, even allowing music in Smash Bros.

Really gets my hopes up for a Wai Wai World sequel. Would love to see them pull from new Konami titles like Metal Gear or Silent Hill or from Hudson Soft titles like Bomberman, Bonk, or Adventure Island. Bring back Konami Man and Konami Woman!

Ivander

Smash Legend
Really gets my hopes up for a Wai Wai World sequel. Would love to see them pull from new Konami titles like Metal Gear or Silent Hill or from Hudson Soft titles like Bomberman, Bonk, or Adventure Island. Bring back Konami Man and Konami Woman!
Oh how much I'd pay for a Wai Wai World with today's gameplay and list of characters. Man, Konami was one of the frickin' earliest companies to do a crossover title among their own characters(and Mikey and Kong) and was practically one of the few companies constantly doing them in series like Parodius, Wai Wai World and other games with Konami characters as secret characters.

A new Wai Wai World game with a much bigger cast and updated to today's gameplay? Yes please!

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Not that Konami is a company always prone to use common sense (to say the very least) but they'd be smart to commission either a collection, remake, or sequel of Goemon. Even if such a release did meh business in the West, given the Switch's success in Japan they'd likely make their money back and then some just in that market alone.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd prefer Goemon as well but considering my expectations for Konami make rock bottom look lofty I'm happy to see anything like this at all.
No lie, this feels like some Monkey's Paw-type ****.

"Please Konami, just make another metrovania game!"
"Okay."

Not that Konami is a company always prone to use common sense (to say the very least) but they'd be smart to commission either a collection, remake, or sequel of Goemon. Even if such a release did meh business in the West, given the Switch's success in Japan they'd likely make their money back and then some just in that market alone.
Especially a collection, which would cost about nothing dollars and fifty cents to make.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Guys, I’ve been thinking for a long while. Hibernating, if you will. And I think theres a possibility we may all be forgetting.

What if, we get CP11 before CP10?
I’m just saying, nobody would see it coming. :4pacman:
I do think there's a possibility that CP11 could be revealed first before CP10.

If they decide to Reveal both characters at E3, If CP11 is not set to come out sometime after the Direct and CP10 is the bigger character of the two, I could see CP11 being revealed first. It would also make sense for the bigger character to have the Last trailer in the lore, but they might have made them CP10 because reasons and such

With that being said, I do think that Both characters could release sometime in June or before. that might be a bit optimistic, but I Imagine they at least have made great progress on Both characters. CP10 is very likely already in presentable state and might be in the balancing stage (and probably already has Sakurai presents flimed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom