• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I am curious how many fake leaks manage to get some real info.

I guess it's the old "throw a bunch of darts and hope for a bullseye" tactic. Or they could have some legit info but sprinkle it with false information.
I think it may seem to us like there's a lot which get a surprising amount right, but when compared to the total number of anonymous 4chan leaks, it's probably like 0.05%. Like you said, it's like throwing a bunch of darts willy nilly at a bullseye. There are thousands upon thousands of fake leaks on the internet, because when you are posting anonymously, you basically have infinite darts, lol. None of your misses will hurt your credibility.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Ok yeah, I guess I forgot for a second that anonymous 4chan leaks (or really any leaks, for that matter) are pretty much always fake lol. But about Phantasy Star Online... I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about it, but it seems to be pretty widely enjoyed and unique Sega IP, and it's rarely discussed for Smash. The general consensus seems to be that another Sega character is possible for FP2, so who knows?
I think the reason why PSO isn't too discussed here is that there's so many others possible Sega characters. You got Puyo puyo, Yakuza, SMT, Streets of rage, Hatsune Miku, Sakura wars, and they could also add another Sonic characters like Eggman or Tails. I do think PSO cxould be possible, but with so many choices from Sega alone, I'm not sure I would say it's very likely.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
That leak is probably fake, but I'm pretty sure that Nintendo/Sakurai already have fighters in planning or already planned out for after Fighter Pass 2. Not saying that a Fighter Pass 3 is coming (because I don't think that's happening) but that they already have an idea of what's going to happen in the future

There's also some other info in that leak I haven't seen mentioned too much. Fire Emblem echoes style game, that Grezzo Zelda game or whatever, and DS2, (but none of these things haven't been confirmed though) but otherwise everything else I've seen propped up in Rumor mill alot. I'm surprised they didn't have Donkey Kong game on here as well

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I also imagine that Sora's classic mode would have fights with Sephiroth and Cloud.
With the Cloud fight being in the Fire emblem colliseum stage referencing his fight with Cloud in KH1.
With the Sephiroth fight having him fight him on Reset bomb forest (Omega) referencing where Sora battled Sephiroth in KH2.

Just a random thought i had.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
I also imagine that Sora's classic mode would have fights with Sephiroth and Cloud.
With the Cloud fight being in the Fire emblem colliseum stage referencing his fight with Cloud in KH1.
With the Sephiroth fight having him fight him on Reset bomb forest (Omega) referencing where Sora battled Sephiroth in KH2.

Just a random thought i had.
Cloud for sure. However Sephiroth is DLC and no DLC People are in Classic Modes sadly.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For Sora's Classic Mode, I was thinking about him fighting characters from different companies in Smash, kinda like going to different video game worlds. Something like this:

Round 1::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter: on Dracula’s Castle (Vampire Killer)
Round 2: :ultsonic::ultbayonetta: on :greenhill: (Green Hill Zone)
Round 3::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken: on Wily Castle (Mega Man 2 Medley)
  • Each character is fought one at a time in a Stamina Battle (Sora has 150HP, while his opposition has 100HP)
Round 4: :ultpacman: on PAC-LAND (PAC-MAN’S PARK / BLOCK TOWN)
Round 5: :ultcloud: on Coliseum Ω (Fight On!)
  • 150HP Stamina Battle
Round 6: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink: on New Donk City Hall (Ground Theme (Band Performance) - Super Mario Bros.)
Final Round:
Master Hand.png
(and
Crazy Hand.png
, on 7.0 or higher) on Station of Awakening Ω (The Encounter)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I've never played Phantasy Star Online in my life but I've always enjoyed how it looks, the setting and the music. There's a new expansion, I think? coming to PSO2 this year, and the game looks really nice and fun, to be honest.

The last Phantasy Star game I've played was Phantasy Star Universe on the Playstation 2, although my first PSO game was Episode I & II on the GameCube. The series is highly underated in my opinion.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To keep the PSO2 discussion going, I'll ask again:

Who would be viable candidates? The rumor mentioned Matoi, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the series, so I can't really say. Are there any other character who would fit? Or would there be a class that could be used? There doesn't seem to be a default/mascot class, so I'm not sure who would fit.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, at least people are leaking again. Even if it's obviously fake...
I mean this leak is from January.

I am kind of impressed at how many things this leak has already gotten right. Even if they are largely predictable claims, many of which are piggybacking off of other insiders.
I guess it's impressive that it hasn't yet got more wrong, but it's played it so extremely safe with what it chose to recycle that I'm certainly not impressed. Gen 4 and Mario Golf are very very easy guesses when you look at the output of GF and Camelot. Skyward Sword and Ninja Gaiden Collection were rumoured so heavily they were basically open secrets. And that's it so far.

The other stuff it might also get right has equally been rumoured for a while, like a 2D Metroid, the Prime trilogy, a FE remake. I mean, it tried to play it safe with Ryu Hayabusa in Smash and look at that. Another easy guess would've been Grezzo doing a Zelda title this year, given their past games... but Grezzo is doing the Miitopia port.

Come to think of it, it would make sense if the series was Capcom Vs., and it came with stuff from all the Vs. games regardless of any hardcore 4th party limbo going on with the Marvel and Tatsunoko stuff.

Though knowing Super Smash Bros.'s MO it would definitely be Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and then those other games I guess... unless something weird was going on.
Well... if we get content from the Capcom Vs. series... none of it is going to be a Marvel or Tatsunoko... or probably even SNK property. It'd just be the stuff Capcom owns. But it's not like they'd be prohibited from simply saying Marvel or Tatsunoko or whoever.

Last edited:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I am curious how many fake leaks manage to get some real info.

I guess it's the old "throw a bunch of darts and hope for a bullseye" tactic. Or they could have some legit info but sprinkle it with false information.
Good ol' Infinite Monkey Theorem: Given infinite time, a monkey with a typewriter will eventually produce a Shakespeare work.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Some disscussion about PSO2? Is that about that one leak that also said Mario kart 9, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, DP remakes, and some other things, or is it a new rumor I don't know about?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
To keep the PSO2 discussion going, I'll ask again:

Who would be viable candidates? The rumor mentioned Matoi, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the series, so I can't really say. Are there any other character who would fit? Or would there be a class that could be used? There doesn't seem to be a default/mascot class, so I'm not sure who would fit.
Most likely a Ash (The default character in all PSO games)

If not them you could go for Elenor or Rupika or Rico from PSO1, Matoi from PSO2, Karen Erra or Ethan Waber from PSU

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well... if we get content from the Capcom Vs. series... none of it is going to be a Marvel or Tatsunoko... or probably even SNK property. It'd just be the stuff Capcom owns.
I could definitely see them simply not bothering with Marvel or Tatsunoko stuff just for logistical reasons, but I don't think that would quite apply to SNK so long as Terry is still on the roster (unless the negotiations happened separately, which admittedly would be the case for this pass, not that I think this would happen in this pass). I do think at a minimum SNK music would be allowed on the Capcom Vs. stage unless they were focusing on Marvel Vs. Capcom.

But it's not like they're be prohibited from simply saying Marvel or Tatsunoko or whoever.
They wouldn't? As far as I know brand names have to be censored too for copyright reasons (though there are instances where this was ignored with no consequences because the company in question didn't care).

EDIT: Meaning you would have to negotiate just to use the company name.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
What I find interesting is that it notes Matoi as the PSO rep; I've heard that the game doesn't have a proper protagonist or even a "mascot/default" class, so who would be the fighter is an interesting topic.
It doesn't have a proper protagonist as the player character is an Avatar character like Robin, Steve, Monster Hunter, etc. It's the case for both Phantasy Star Online 1 and Online 2. That said though, the Avatar characters do have Default looks like Robin and Corrin.

And it should be noted that the default looks for the Phantasy Star Online 2 Avatar characters are used commonly for Episode promotions, especially the main Male Hunter in the middle and the black-haired Newman girl with the pink/purple headgear.

In that last image, Matoi is the girl on the left.

The Male Hunter is also the used design for the main character in the anime.

And now the last clarification is that all of the Default designs do in fact have a default name. Technically in Phantasy Star Online, but actually in Phantasy Star Online 2. In Phantasy Star Online 1, the default designs are used for characters that can be your Partners in the game(so use the first PSO image as reference). So you know the Male Hunter with the orange outfit on the image? A character uses the same design in PSO and their name is Ash Canaan. The giant Purple Robot crossing their arms? That is Kireek. The tan pink-haired Newman beside the Hunter? That is Sue.

Now in Phantasy Star Online 2, the default characters do in fact have default names, but they aren't used since it just makes you name the character. But in promotional stuff, they do have Default names used.

They use names from Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe and once again, the main Male Hunter is once again known as Ash. So it is possible for a Player character to get in Smash and use a Default name.

Okay, onto Matoi. Matoi is a decently accurate choice as she is an important character throughout Phantasy Star Online 2. She is mainly a Force user, so she will be a big user of Magic and a big Staff weapon. But basically, in Phantasy Star Online 2, she's practically to your Player character as the character Mash is to your character in Fate/Grand Order or any other similar character like that one character from Code Vein. She starts off as a person you've found and rescued and while she lost her memories, she is open to your character for some reason. Eventually, she not only helps you with rescuing your friends from mind-control, but also confronting the final boss of Episode 2.
She eventually becomes your Partner for missions, but as it turns out, her past memories actually have a big connection to your Player character, as well as the character Dark Falz Persona. And she plays big roles for Episode 3 and 5 and I think she also has a big role in Episode 6 IIRC. So it would not be inaccurate to say she would be an accurate choice for a Phantasy Star character as she is one of the most recurring PSO2 characters in the game.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Most likely a Ash (The default character in all PSO games)
Just out of curiosity, which design do you guys prefer? The new one is a bit more generic and I know people here don't really care for that, but the old one is uh...very rooted in the time period it was made in.

I'm personally a sucker for black with bright accents, and have...several questions about the old outfit, but I'm genuinely curious to see what everyone else thinks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could definitely see them simply not bothering with Marvel or Tatsunoko stuff just for logistical reasons, but I don't think that would quite apply to SNK so long as Terry is still on the roster (unless the negotiations happened separately, which admittedly would be the case for this pass, not that I think this would happen in this pass). I do think at a minimum SNK music would be allowed on the Capcom Vs. stage unless they were focusing on Marvel Vs. Capcom.
I agree with that last part, but I think licensing content SNK owns would be contingent on whether they found it worthwhile to involve another party when they could stick with the Capcom stuff. SNK content, unlike Marvel and Tatsunoko, would obviously be eligible, and SNK seems cooperative, but it's hardly a foregone conclusion, especially because if you're looking at the entire Vs. series, there's plenty to take from just under Capcom's umbrella.

They wouldn't? As far as I know brand names have to be censored too for copyright reasons (though there are instances where this was ignored with no consequences because the company in question didn't care).

EDIT: Meaning you would have to negotiate just to use the company name.
I mean they have everything from Final Fantasy to Banjo-Kazooie in Brawl's chronicle. Sakurai already name-dropped Marvel vs. Capcom when talking about Mega Man's Utilt.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Okay, onto Matoi. Matoi is a decently accurate choice as she is an important character throughout Phantasy Star Online 2. She is mainly a Force user, so she will be a big user of Magic and a big Staff weapon. But basically, in Phantasy Star Online 2, she's practically to your Player character as the character Mash is to your character in Fate/Grand Order or any other similar character like that one character from Code Vein. She starts off as a person you've found and rescued and while she lost her memories, she is open to your character for some reason. Eventually, she not only helps you with rescuing your friends from mind-control, but also confronting the final boss of Episode 2.
She eventually becomes your Partner for missions, but as it turns out, her past memories actually have a big connection to your Player character, as well as the character Dark Falz Persona. And she plays big roles for Episode 3 and 5 and I think she also has a big role in Episode 6 IIRC. So it would not be inaccurate to say she would be an accurate choice for a Phantasy Star character as she is one of the most recurring PSO2 characters in the game.
Don't forget, Matoi is the PSO2 universe version of Red Ring Rico from PSO1
Matoi outfits are meant to resemble her.

She wouldnt be the chracter i'd pick for A PS rep(Mine would be Rika or Alis) but I cant deny she's important to PSO2 plot.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Now in Phantasy Star Online 2, the default characters do in fact have default names, but they aren't used since it just makes you name the character. But in promotional stuff, they do have Default names used.
For Nol, I initially read the "l" as an exclamation point, and now I'm just imagining her introducing herself like "hello, my name is NO!"

Also holy wow we're using a lot of images here (EDIT: and rather large ones at that). We may need to start spoilering them so that they don't wreck the mobile users.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I agree with that last part, but I think licensing content SNK owns would be contingent on whether they found it worthwhile to involve another party when they could stick with the Capcom stuff. SNK content, unlike Marvel and Tatsunoko, would obviously be eligible, and SNK seems cooperative, but it's hardly a foregone conclusion, especially because if you're looking at the entire Vs. series, there's plenty to take from just under Capcom's umbrella.

I mean they have everything from Final Fantasy to Banjo-Kazooie in Brawl's chronicle. Sakurai already name-dropped Marvel vs. Capcom when talking about Mega Man's Utilt.

Although later on when talking about Kens final smash he only mentions it as "Vs Capcom" if i remember right.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It doesn't have a proper protagonist as the player character is an Avatar character like Robin, Steve, Monster Hunter, etc. It's the case for both Phantasy Star Online 1 and Online 2. That said though, the Avatar characters do have Default looks like Robin and Corrin.

And it should be noted that the default looks for the Phantasy Star Online 2 Avatar characters are used commonly for Episode promotions, especially the main Male Hunter in the middle and the black-haired Newman girl with the pink/purple headgear.

In that last image, Matoi is the girl on the left.

The Male Hunter is also the used design for the main character in the anime.

And now the last clarification is that all of the Default designs do in fact have a default name. Technically in Phantasy Star Online, but actually in Phantasy Star Online 2. In Phantasy Star Online 1, the default designs are used for characters that can be your Partners in the game(so use the first PSO image as reference). So you know the Male Hunter with the orange outfit on the image? A character uses the same design in PSO and their name is Ash Canaan. The giant Purple Robot crossing their arms? That is Kireek. The tan pink-haired Newman beside the Hunter? That is Sue.

They use names from Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe and once again, the main Male Hunter is once again known as Ash. So it is possible for a Player character to get in Smash and use a Default name.

Ah, thanks for the info! Looks like we do have defaults for the players after all. Though, I do remember that they had a lot of classes to choose from, with none of the supplementary materials emphasizing one over the other. Is there actually a default class, or is there no clear answer?

And good to know that Matoi's pretty important to PSO2. If it turns out it's a bit too much to choose for the defaults, I guess she'd work just as well.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Ah, thanks for the info! Looks like we do have defaults for the players after all. Though, I do remember that they had a lot of classes to choose from, with none of the supplementary materials emphasizing one over the other. Is there actually a default class, or is there no clear answer?
default classes always are Hunter(swords and melee), Ranger(Guns and projectiles), and Force(Magic)
There is no definite one

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

And good to know that Matoi's pretty important to PSO2. If it turns out it's a bit too much to choose for the defaults, I guess she'd work just as well.
From the description it does sound like Ash has a defined character alongside being a default, or at the very least, he does consistently use a sword, so maybe they'd just give him the sword class.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
BTW a PS character will Most likely have Perfect Attacks as their gimmicks.
PA's are basically timed attacks that do stronger damage when you time them correctly(Circle turns red on your character), Its like playing a rhythm game in sense.
Every PSO game has this mechanic.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Don't forget, Matoi is the PSO2 universe version of Red Ring Rico from PSO1
Matoi outfits are meant to resemble her.

She wouldnt be the chracter i'd pick for A PS rep(Mine would be Rika or Alis) but I cant deny she's important to PSO2 plot.
Alis is another one I think is possible for a Phantasy Star rep. Because aside from being the first Protagonist for Phantasy Star, she does have her Omega counterpart in Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 5. So Alis could have her Omega counterpart as a Alt and she'd be able to represent both regular Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online 2. But I would not be surprised that if they wanted a Phantasy Star Online 2 character, they'd use a character from that game. And Matoi is definitely one of the most re-occuring and plot important characters for PSO2.
There isn't a Default class per say. But the Hunter, the Ranger and the Force are the 3 Main Classes of Phantasy Star Online and Universe. In PSO2, they did later add the Fighter, Gunner and Techter classes, but they aren't selectable when making a new character, only Hunter, Ranger and Force. But then they added the Braver, Bouncer and Summoner classes and those are part of the Class Selection choices for making a new character.

Anyway, that being said, the Human Male Hunter, or HUmar, is often the most used for promotional purposes, like Ash being used for the anime and the HUmar being used very often in "Opening Intros" and whatnot. So I wouldn't be surprised if they used the HUmar or Ash for Smash.

Ivander

Smash Legend
From the description it does sound like Ash has a defined character alongside being a default, or at the very least, he does consistently use a sword, so maybe they'd just give him the sword class.
Believe it or not, weapons are not necessarily restricted. In Phantasy Star Online, Universe and Zero, they were, but in Phantasy Star Online 2, they added the sub-class that allows you to pick a class for a "sub-class" and it can allow you to wield weapons from that class, although it won't always allow you to use their skills. So you can have a Hunter, Ranger or Force with the "Sword" weapon, which is a two-handed sword like Cloud's weapon.

Also the fact that your character can be any class and yet, Dark Falz Persona will always use a sword weapon regardless.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Surprised that it exists? I've seen too much horrific sh** on the internet to be surprised at anything at this point.
Same. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that there are quite a few characters that you just shouldn't Google Image search. And for some ungodly reason, one of them is Ms. Ribbons.

But, is there some Nintendo employee that goes out of their way to search for this stuff or something?
There is probably someone who does this as their job. Or at least some sort of website skimmer or something (though maybe or something since I think skimming is illegal).

Believe it or not, weapons are not necessarily restricted. In Phantasy Star Online, Universe and Zero, they were, but in Phantasy Star Online 2, they added the sub-class that allows you to pick a class for a "sub-class" and it can allow you to wield weapons from that class, although it won't always allow you to use their skills. So you can have a Hunter, Ranger or Force with the "Sword" weapon, which is a two-handed sword like Cloud's weapon.
So I guess that would mean that it's possible that the answer to "what class would they pick" would just be "yes" huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom