• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So how many people would be okay with Sora and other KH content getting into the game without any Disney content at all? Would it feel neutered without the Disney stuff?
I wouldnt really care because the only Disney character who matters in Kingdom hearts is Mickey, and maybe Hercules since he and Sora are best friends.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think people are asking the wrong questions about KH without the Disney stuff. Would it still be KH? That's the wrong question. It's also subjective, isn't it. The real question is could it still happen? And the answer is yes. At least on Nintendo's side.

Not yes on the basis of yes Sora is definitely coming, but yes on the basis that if they included characters like Ryu and Cloud who came with basically the minimum amount of content (or near-minimum), then yes, they are not adverse to including characters without large, important swaths of their series.

And yeah that stuff was budgetary rather than ideological, but if a character coming with constricted content was a dealbreaker, they wouldn't have even made it to the finished product. They prioritized adding the character. Plus it sounds like budget concerns would still be on the table for Sora anyway.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So how many people would be okay with Sora and other KH content getting into the game without any Disney content at all? Would it feel neutered without the Disney stuff?
I wouldn’t mind. In fact, I’d be happy if we literally just got Sora, without a stage, music, or spirits if it came down to it. I care about characters way more than anything else, so having Sora without any additional content would not bother me in the slightest.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
With things like Ash-Greninja and Advent One Winged Angel, I'd imagine Disney IP stuff would be fine in Kingdom Hearts. Since Ash-Greninja and Advent One Winged Angel are the only non-video game content in Super Smash Bros. though, I do think it would be kept mostly to the basics, so like, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy would probably make an appearance, but preexisting Disney IP worlds probably wouldn't be the stage (if for no other reason than the original areas being more iconic to the series), and there wouldn't be any rips of movie soundtracks, but original compositions based on the movies might show up.

EDIT: And they probably wouldn't remove Sora's Mickey Mouse keychain.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Technomage

Smash Champion
Another Sora-related question my brain hatched: If Sora were to be added, should he also come with Roxas, Ventus, and Vanitas (both masked and unmasked) as alternate costumes/echoes?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Another Sora-related question my brain hatched: If Sora were to be added, should he also come with Roxas, Ventus, and Vanitas (both masked and unmasked) as alternate costumes/echoes?
I think at most we'd have Roxas as an alt since he's a literal clone of Sora and it would just make sense but the others would be really pushing it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Maybe? They're all technically Sora, but I think they all diverge quite a bit, namely Roxas' dual-wielding. Though, I feel like Xion would be a bit easier to add into the Soragang, especially since her final fight in 365/2 heavily draws on Sora, from what I can gather.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Ventus wouldn't work as he holds the keyblade with a reverse grip

Vanitas also wouldn't work because he holds it differently as well

Roxas would work as a costume potentially and I kinda want that, another character Xion could also potentially work.

EDIT: It would have to be KH2 Roxas for the moveset though.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think at most we'd have Roxas as an alt since he's a literal clone of Sora and it would just make sense but the others would be really pushing it.
Well, Xion isn't that much of a stretch. She's a replica of Roxas (I think), who is effectively a clone of Sora, so by extension Xion is a clone of Sora.

...Well, half of Sora, at least.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
With things like Ash-Greninja and Advent One Winged Angel, I'd imagine Disney IP stuff would be fine in Kingdom Hearts. Since Ash-Greninja and Advent One Winged Angel are the only non-video game content in Super Smash Bros. though, I do think it would be kept mostly to the basics, so like, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy would probably make an appearance, but preexisting Disney IP worlds probably wouldn't be the stage (if for no other reason than the original areas being more iconic to the series), and there wouldn't be any rips of movie soundtracks, but original compositions based on the movies might show up.

EDIT: And they probably wouldn't remove Sora's Mickey Mouse keychain.
I mean the difference is that Ash-Greninja and Advent Children are still properties spawned from gaming, and all the non-original KH Disney stuff isn't. Advent Children is a movie about video game characters but Donald Duck is still a cartoon character in a video game. It's not a different Donald Duck.

That very well may be an important point of distinction for them.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wonder how expensive it would actually be to get Hailey joel osment to do Smash lines for Sora? He'd probably a character with Japan only voice lines.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ventus wouldn't work as he holds the keyblade with a reverse grip
Before someone mentions Chrom, Roy doesn't use the reverse grip for all of his attacks, and with how Sora's attacks are all flowey and flippy and stuff, I'm not sure you would be able to do the same thing in reverse grip here like you could with Roy's more basic slashes.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't think so. Roxas, maybe, but I would like to see a whole bunch of colors for Sora referencing his forms compared to doing another Hero route. Like I would like to see colors referencing his Valor, Wisdom, Master and Final Forms and a coloring for his KH1 look, his Limit Form, but I'd also like to see an Anti/Heartless Sora skin as well.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Before someone mentions Chrom, Roy doesn't use the reverse grip for all of his attacks, and with how Sora's attacks are all flowey and flippy and stuff, I'm not sure you would be able to do the same thing in reverse grip here like you could with Roy's more basic slashes.
It should also be noted that Chrom's an Echo, giving him a bit more leeway in terms of animations. Any other characters who come with Sora are 99% going to be mere alts, and wouldn't have that freedom.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder how expensive it would actually be to get Hailey joel osment to do Smash lines for Sora? He'd probably a character with Japan only voice lines.
If he's unionized then this would 100% be the case. Hopefully it's not though.

EDIT: I'm not fond of the Japan only voices for characters that have been dubbed before.

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
The only place I think that'd be a problem for me would be the Spirit Board, would feel empty without Mickey, Donald & Goofy (plus I don't particularly care for most of the OC characters, but thats a personal thing...)

Other than that, Traverse Town stage + handful of KH-original music would be incredibly dope, no Disney needed. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I want the music more than Sora himself :laugh:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
That 4chan "leak" about Phantasy Star Online in Smash is totally fake, right?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't think so. Roxas, maybe, but I would like to see a whole bunch of colors for Sora referencing his forms compared to doing another Hero route. Like I would like to see colors referencing his Valor, Wisdom, Master and Final Forms and a coloring for his KH1 look, his Limit Form, but I'd also like to see an Anti/Heartless Sora skin as well.
It would probably end up being his KH3 look with alts based on his alts from KH3 instead of drive forms, withcolors based on his first games outfit.
(The colors of Sora's clothes in that game change depending on what weapons your using.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I dunno which "leak" you're talking about, but if it's from 4chan then yeah, probably fake.

Still, bring it up for us. Don't think we've talked about PSO that much, so let's take advantage of it and see what we can squeeze out of it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't think any of us have seen it yet. Want to link it?

That being said, Phantasy Star Online would be a good subject to talk about as it's been going pretty strong recently, with PSO2 finally being released in the West and Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis being made. But it was still a very active series in Japan even before PSO2 finally came out to the West.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dunno which "leak" you're talking about, but if it's from 4chan then yeah, probably fake.

Still, bring it up for us. Don't think we've talked about PSO that much, so let's take advantage of it and see what we can squeeze out of it.
It's a leak compiled of rumours that were/are floating around like a 2D Metroid, 3D Kirby, Skyward Sword HD, Ryu Hayabusa in Smash, along with stuff that was already known like Famicom Detective Club and Pokemon Snap, along with things that were a pretty easy guess like Gen 4 remakes.

It's just someone who paid attention to various claims trying to fool people.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Obviously the leak is fake as ****.

I would not be opposed to Phantasy Star at all

It has a top tier aesthetic, It's a combination of like Xenoblade X and Gundam

It has some great songs.

and due to Online's many crossovers it could potentially be a way to get some extra sega content like Sakura Wars or Burning Rangers.

(and also it had a crossover with Trails Of Cold Steel cough cough hack wheeze)

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I've never played Phantasy Star Online in my life but I've always enjoyed how it looks, the setting and the music. There's a new expansion, I think? coming to PSO2 this year, and the game looks really nice and fun, to be honest.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Guys. I've got a plan to settle this whole Kingdom Hearts stuff once and for all: So we get Amingo, Ruby Heart, & SonSon into Super Smash Bros. and see if they're from the Marvel Vs. Capcom series and everything that would entail, or if they're from the Capcom Vs. Series with just Capcom and SNK stuff.

SKX31

Smash Master
Could be, though "executive with glasses" describes not only every president Nintendo has had for the past seventy years, but probably three quarters of their higher management. :laugh:

I do wonder how much the president of Nintendo was actually involved in Smash's negotiations, and not just a high authority proxy team.
Leaning on the side that he would be at least decently involved, since he could lead coordination efforts and be one of the main people Sakurai talks to if there are legal complications.

Not to say other executives like Miyamoto can't do that, but Furukawa's the only executive (IIRC) who's credited in the Producer role. He seems like the safest bet.

You forget the greatest scenes where Woody from Toy story stands up to anime man in a badass way and Donald Duck straight up murders a guy on screen and nobody at Disney objected to it.
Remember who Donald is related to:

4PMJqWH.jpeg
3eTqUkE.jpeg

I can't wait for the Kingdom Hearts adaptation of this. Either that or some of the crazier Donald Duck comics, such as when Daisy wanted to join an exclusive club but had to get a date for the President... so the logical solution was to have Donald crossdress and go full "Date with Don Corneo".

Guys. I've got a plan to settle this whole Kingdom Hearts stuff once and for all: So we get Amingo, Ruby Heart, & SonSon into Super Smash Bros. and see if they're from the Marvel Vs. Capcom series and everything that would entail, or if they're from the Capcom Vs. Series with just Capcom and SNK stuff.
Iseethisasanabsolutewin.png.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman

Ok, I will. I'm not thinking/hoping it's fake because PSO is included, by the way. A lot of what's correct is pretty predictable, imo, and the inclusion of "more fighters post Fighters Pass 2" makes me seriously doubt it's credibility. Interesting how it mentions Dark Souls 2 specifically, as rumors have been cropping up around a port recently. Here it is.

Also, the fact that it only mentions ports, and no new games by name (the "new kirby game", for example), makes it seem more fake.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ok, I will. I'm not thinking/hoping it's fake because PSO is included, by the way. A lot of what's correct is pretty predictable, imo, and the inclusion of "more fighters post Fighters Pass 2" makes me seriously doubt it's credibility. Interesting how it mentions Dark Souls 2 specifically, as rumors have been cropping up around a port recently. Here it is.

Also, the fact that it only mentions ports, and no new games by name (the "new kirby game", for example), makes it seem more fake.
It also mentions the now deconfirmed Ryu Hayabusa as playable. It's definitely fake.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, standard stuff. Says Hayabusa's in this wave; We already got an explicit "Yeah, there's no plans, sorry guys," so that's a pretty heavy blow to credibility. What I find interesting is that it notes Matoi as the PSO rep; I've heard that the game doesn't have a proper protagonist or even a "mascot/default" class, so who would be the fighter is an interesting topic.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Yeah fake as ****.

It came before Pyra and Mythra's reveal and did not have them listed even though they were coming out sooner. and the other things on this list were either A easily predictable or B leaked by actual insiders beforehand.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Ok yeah, I guess I forgot for a second that anonymous 4chan leaks (or really any leaks, for that matter) are pretty much always fake lol. But about Phantasy Star Online... I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about it, but it seems to be pretty widely enjoyed and unique Sega IP, and it's rarely discussed for Smash. The general consensus seems to be that another Sega character is possible for FP2, so who knows?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ok yeah, I guess I forgot for a second that anonymous 4chan leaks (or really any leaks, for that matter) are pretty much always fake lol. But about Phantasy Star Online... I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about it, but it seems to be pretty widely enjoyed and unique Sega IP, and it's rarely discussed for Smash. The general consensus seems to be that another Sega character is possible for FP2, so who knows?
I think it would be helped tremendously with a more anchoring character to rally around. You also have to question whether we'd get someone from PSO or just Phantasy Star.

View attachment 311006
Here's a screenshot, for anyone curious
Yes, thank you, it's fake.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
View attachment 311006
Here's a screenshot, for anyone curious
I am curious how many fake leaks manage to get some real info.

I guess it's the old "throw a bunch of darts and hope for a bullseye" tactic. Or they could have some legit info but sprinkle it with false information.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I am kind of impressed at how many things this leak has already gotten right. Even if they are largely predictable claims, many of which are piggybacking off of other insiders.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Come to think of it, it would make sense if the series was Capcom Vs., and it came with stuff from all the Vs. games regardless of any hardcore 4th party limbo going on with the Marvel and Tatsunoko stuff.

Though knowing Super Smash Bros.'s MO it would definitely be Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and then those other games I guess... unless something weird was going on.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I am curious how many fake leaks manage to get some real info.

I guess it's the old "throw a bunch of darts and hope for a bullseye" tactic. Or they could have some legit info but sprinkle it with false information.
As was mentioned earlier, it's mostly coasting off of other leaks and insiders. I think the PSO2 rep (Possibly Matoi, according to the rumor) was like the one original thing it tossed in.

On that topic, anyone who's played PSO2 able to give a rundown on Matoi? Who she is, what she can do, and would she actually be a viable candidate for a playable character or is it like that old rumor that called for Katalina over Gran or Djeeta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom