• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
She would just be an echo of Diddy, and there arent anyecho dlc's.
Not necessarily.

They could make her an Echo duo with Kiddy Kong and voila! Two original characters. :4pacman:

No but seriously she does have potential that Diddy Kong doesn't tap, and I'm not just talking about one or two moves.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm late on the Kingdom Hearts talk but I feel I should at least mention that KH does have a degree of game original content that have designs influenced by the Disney content. The Heartless enemies in particular are creatures that can adapt their appearances to the Disney world they reside in. The keyblades wielded by Sora are similar in this aspect and be present in his alts.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So I guess that would mean that it's possible that the answer to "what class would they pick" would just be "yes" huh.
Well, each class has a whole bunch of weapons regardless.

-Hunters wield Swords, Wired Lances, Partizans/Spears, Gunslashes(basically Gunblades), Double Sabers, Daggers, Twin Daggers, Sabers, Twin Sabers, Knuckles, Claws, Handguns, etc.
-Rangers can wield Assault Rifles, Launchers, Shotguns, Longbows, Laser Cannons, Machine Guns, Crossbows, Spears, Gunblades, Bazookas, Handguns, Twin Handguns, etc.
-Forces mainly use Rods and Wands, but also use Cards, Talises and once again, Gunblades.

The weapons they wield are different for each game, but the common weapon that can be used between all of them is the Gunslash/Gunblade. They can also switch weapons, so you could easily take a cue from Byleth's page and give them different weapons for different attacks.

Edit: Could you imagine a double reveal trailer for Phantasy Star? Start with Phantasy Star.....and then end with Halo(as they are both Space-themed games). How would you guys react to that?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I know I'm late on the Kingdom Hearts talk but I feel I should at least mention that KH does have a degree of game original content that have designs influenced by the Disney content. The Heartless enemies in particular are creatures that can adapt their appearances to the Disney world they reside in. The keyblades wielded by Sora are similar in this aspect and be present in his alts.
But there's also tons of Keyblades influenced by Square content as well and some completely originals like Mickey's Starseeker or Riku's road to dawn.

SKX31

Smash Master
Others seem to think so too.
The :ultduckhunt: vs. :ultsephiroth: matchup... intrigues me, NGL. Duck Hunt don't want to go anywhere near Masamune unless needed and just spam projectiles (plus punishing whiffs), while Sephiroth as a result has to bob and weave through projectile spam and has some trouble hitting them with tilts / f-air and b-air (just like any small target, although it might not be as bad as trying to hit :ultpikachu: or :ultkirby: is for Sephiroth), but has the massive coverage that Duck Hunt kinda doesn't.

Surprised that it exists? I've seen too much horrific sh** on the internet to be surprised at anything at this point.

But, is there some Nintendo employee that goes out of their way to search for this stuff or something?
I don't think they'd be particularily keen on people selling or getting sponsored on Patreon for this kind of stuff. More of an image thing than anything else, but still.

Of course, it's possible that this was someone posing as a Nintendo employee, but it wouldn't be out-of-character for Nintendo to decide to do this.

BTW a PS character will Most likely have Perfect Attacks as their gimmicks.
PA's are basically timed attacks that do stronger damage when you time them correctly(Circle turns red on your character), Its like playing a rhythm game in sense.
Every PSO game has this mechanic.
Kinda interested to see how this would be implemented (It's a similar thought I have with Paper Mario and his similar mechanic). If it works off of an successful hit I could imagine that the timing would be at least somewhat strict so it's not entirely free damage. But I'm coming at this without any sort of experience with PS(O).

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Edit: Could you imagine a double reveal trailer for Phantasy Star? Start with Phantasy Star.....and then end with Halo(as they are both Space-themed games). How would you guys react to that?
Well MS did fund Sega for PSO2 Eng release and NGS development so...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Although later on when talking about Kens final smash he only mentions it as "Vs Capcom" if i remember right.
Well Ken uses it across the Vs. series while Mega Man only uses the Mega Upper in MvC. That's the only Vs. sub-series that has classic Mega Man, afaik.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Not that I know much of anything about Phantasy Star, but out of the options presented (and a quick trip to the wiki), Matoi as a character interests me significantly more than Ash. Ash is a, uh, Hunter, that can use a variety of weapons... and Ash in particular uses a sword in most official art. Not that I wanna be all "swordies bad" or anything, but I'm not particularly grabbed. Meanwhile, Matoi is a... Techter, which is a subclass of Force, which are apparently support not-mages that still have some melee stuff. Apparently, Techters use wands and... thrown cards as their weapons of choice, and we don't really have anyone who uses either of those. And that's not even getting into magic Techniques, which appear to be specialty of Forces.

Seems like this topic has brought us back around to the "non-main character" discussion again. Like I said before, I'm not particularly bothered if we get an equally-iconic pick from a series instead of the one we're "obligated" to get first. And besides, doesn't FF14 do the same thing with Y'shtola?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And besides, doesn't FF14 do the same thing with Y'shtola?
Not really since Y'shtola isn't in Super Smash Bros., and the avatar isn't particularly important to the overall plot as far as I know. They're just there and help save the day, but it's still more the story of the other characters involved.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Not that I know much of anything about Phantasy Star, but out of the options presented (and a quick trip to the wiki), Matoi as a character interests me significantly more than Ash. Ash is a, uh, Hunter, that can use a variety of weapons... and Ash in particular uses a sword in most official art. Not that I wanna be all "swordies bad" or anything, but I'm not particularly grabbed. Meanwhile, Matoi is a... Techter, which is a subclass of Force, which are apparently support not-mages that still have some melee stuff. Apparently, Techters use wands and... thrown cards as their weapons of choice, and we don't really have anyone who uses either of those. And that's not even getting into magic Techniques, which appear to be specialty of Forces.

Seems like this topic has brought us back around to the "non-main character" discussion again. Like I said before, I'm not particularly bothered if we get an equally-iconic pick from a series instead of the one we're "obligated" to get first. And besides, doesn't FF14 do the same thing with Y'shtola?
There's some good High level Techter play for PSO2

Its basically the "I want to use magic but also i want to BONK my enemies with a Stick/Hammer" class

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I really can't imagine us getting any Phantasy Star character that isn't Alis. PSO is a big deal, but MMOs are not exactly a genre that lends itself to fighter representation.
Not denying that, but PSO is from Sega. So Maybe that could make things easier, if by a bit?

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Not really since Y'shtola isn't in Super Smash Bros., and the avatar isn't particularly important to the overall plot as far as I know. They're just there and help save the day, but it's still more the story of the other characters involved.
I meant moreso in that FF14 uses Y'shtola as its representative rather than [browses wiki] Hydaelyn's Chosen. (The player character, in other words.) If FF14 were to get a character, I think it'd be her given its other crossovers. (Actually, that's a good point. What's represented PS in other crossovers?)

Also, which avatar? FF14's or PSO's?

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
But there's also tons of Keyblades influenced by Square content as well and some completely originals like Mickey's Starseeker or Riku's road to dawn.
Yes. But my point is that there is Disney esque content that isn't as in your face as having Mickey Mouse on screen.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I meant moreso in that FF14 uses Y'shtola as its representative rather than [browses wiki] Hydaelyn's Chosen. (The player character, in other words.) If FF14 were to get a character, I think it'd be her given its other crossovers. (Actually, that's a good point. What's represented PS in other crossovers?)

Also, which avatar? FF14's or PSO's?
Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. My point was that I don't think Y'shtola over...Hydaelyn's Chosen, apparently, is anything like Min Min over Spring Man or solo Pyra/Mythra since she seems to be just as, if not more important to the game than the avatar.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
That time when Sonic Team composers got Kill la Kill vocalists to do one of their best final boss compositions since With Me

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
If you look at how long it took to develop the Switch port if DS:R, it seems pretty feasible that a port of Dark Souls II comes out this year. DS:R took a little over a year to develop, and this was only after all planning and licensing with Nintendo and Virtuos was done. Since Dark Souls II is a larger, more complex game, and development would have probably started on a port in late 2018 after the sales of DS:R on Switch could be gauged, mid 2021 seems about right. Perhaps the rumors are true. Smash DLC was being decided during the timeframe that the Dark Souls: Remastered port released in (late 2018). This is also likely the time that a Dark Souls 2 port was greenlit. It's a little out there, but maybe a Dark Souls Smash character and the DS2 port were decided on during this time after seeing DS:R's sales, and they are planned to cross promote each other? Sorry, last DS post for a while lol

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
(Actually, that's a good point. What's represented PS in other crossovers?)
From what I understand, crossovers involving PS usually use Alis (and other PS classic characters), but one time there was a character named Karen I think from PSO who crossed over with Puyo Puyo

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. My point was that I don't think Y'shtola over...Hydaelyn's Chosen, apparently, is anything like Min Min over Spring Man or solo Pyra/Mythra since she seems to be just as, if not more important to the game than the avatar.
You know, that makes sense. I do think, though, that Y'shtola over Hydaelyn's Chosen would be a lot like Matoi over Ash. That's why I brought it up.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
From what I understand, crossovers involving PS usually use Alis (and other PS classic characters), but one time there was a character named Karen I think from PSO who crossed over with Puyo Puyo
Alis appears as the games secretary in SEGAGAGA
alis_Segagaga.jpg

Nei, Rika, and Mieu also appear in SEGAGAGA
Ash PSO1 costume can be unlocked as a alt outfit for Sonic in SA2

The franchise mascot, Rappy, was in Billy Hatcher
Karren Erra from PSU was part of Puyo Puyo Fevers vs Sega character DLC that had Sonic and Sakura as well
Rare Drop Koi Koi was in Yakuza 7
PSO2 had a episode about itself in SEGA Hardware Girls but no specific character

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Alis appears as the games secretary in SEGAGAGA
View attachment 311034
Nei, Rika, and Mieu also appear in SEGAGAGA
Ash PSO1 costume can be unlocked as a alt outfit for Sonic in SA2

The franchise mascot, Rappy, was in Billy Hatcher
Karren Erra from PSU was part of Puyo Puyo Fevers vs Sega character DLC that had Sonic and Sakura as well
Rare Drop Koi Koi was in Yakuza 7
PSO2 had a episode about itself in SEGA Hardware Girls but no specific character
Thanks for that haha. I’m not too familiar with Phantasy Star unfortunately >_<

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
As a person who has played a lot of final fantasy 14, you are way off with your assessment lol. While it is true the protagonist is a mostly silent protagonist, the story of final fantasy 14 is very much about what the avatar does and where they go, with the Scions (the group of characters Y'shtola is a part of) acting as supporting characters to the warrior of light (the avatar). To say the warrior of light/avatar is not important to the overall plot is like saying Eleven (the protagonist) from Dragon Quest XI is unimportant in the grand scheme of things. While they don't carry the emotional beats of the story, they are very much the central figure in the story. That being said, it is very possible if they did decide on a FFXIV character (which is a VERY VERY big longshot) they would pick a Scion, as picking what specific class to have the avatar to be in smash would be a nightmare, considering they have been so far canonically 7 different classes. Unless they did a job switching gimmick, which could be pretty cool.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Thanks for that haha. I’m not too familiar with Phantasy Star unfortunately >_<
Almost forgot There's the Extreme Gear in Sonic Riders Called MAG which are the little robot guys you can raise and evolve in all PSO games( they were part of Lizuka A-Life initiative in the late 90s such as Chao)

They evolve to other forms you see in PSO once you collect certain amount of rings

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A PSO2 character is absolutely something I could see happen, it make sense, and it completely shock all of us. I mean I would prefer Kiryu but like damn, PSO2 is such a Sakurai choice it hurts.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, that makes sense. I do think, though, that Y'shtola over Hydaelyn's Chosen would be a lot like Matoi over Ash. That's why I brought it up.
Ok. Honestly I don't know anything about Phantasy Star so I couldn't really speak on that. From my experience though, it does seem like most MMOs have characters that would make as much, if not more sense than the avatar would. Like, Warcraft has a handful of iconic characters and none of them are the avatar, there's this example and...well that's about all I know really.

Ironically the one that I know and talk most about (Guild Wars 2) doesn't quite have something like this, but it's close. Guild Wars 2 has this weird rotating cast that is handled extremely poorly. Currently, the main characters other than the Pact Commander (the avatar) are Rytlock, Crecia, Caithe, Taimi, Brahm, Rox, Kasmeer, Marjory, Aurene, and Cannach. There are many problems with this:
  1. This is too many.
  2. Of these, 6 of them are introduced in a story arc that nobody can play anymore so new players will have no idea who the heck these characters are.
  3. Characters leave for entire story arcs for understated reasons so you tend to forget what their deal is before they show back up.
    • I'm pretty good at remembering plots, and I thought Marjory had died she was gone so long.
  4. Characters's story arcs can get inadvertently drawn out for no reason.
    • It's been multiple story arcs, and Marjory and Kasmeer still haven't made up since they haven't been seen together onscreen since then.
    • Taimi randomly mentioned that her terminal condition is worsening half a story arc ago and literally nothing has come of that.
  5. The story arc where you bond with a baby dragon does not get enough screentime for it to be effective.
Of these, Rytlock is the most consistent (though he's not relevant for the story arc nobody can play anymore for the most part as far as I know), having stayed on the team since the Heart of Thorns expansion (aside from the brief stint where literally everyone was off doing their own thing since they wanted to make the Pact Commander stress) and does seem to be used in a fair bit of the marketing (alongside Aurene because baby dragon). Taimi is also incredibly consistent, though she isn't in the first story arc like Rytlock is, and I don't think she's used as an icon as much as Rytlock is, though there is a chance that I'm wrong on that.

I do think Rytlock or Taimi (though my money's on Rytlock) would be fine as a Guild Wars character instead of the Pact Commander or...the previous game's avatar since there are just...so many problems with adding them.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ah, Karen Erra from Phantasy Star Universe.

Basically one of the main characters of the PS Universe series alongside Ethan Waber.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Phantasy Star? The next character? RPG lovers just keep winning this pass, it's three in a row. :4pacman:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Probably worth mentioning that smash bros has: Referenced Pokemon anime only stuff on multiple occasions
No it hasn't. It's referenced stuff that originated in the anime, but everything that appeared in Smash also showed up in the games.

I wouldnt really care because the only Disney character who matters in Kingdom hearts is Mickey, and maybe Hercules since he and Sora are best friends.
Hercules and not...the 2nd and 3rd party members for 3 whole games?

With things like Ash-Greninja and Advent One Winged Angel, I'd imagine Disney IP stuff would be fine in Kingdom Hearts.
I don't, because even if those things originated outside of games, those are still gaming properties. Disney characters aren't.

Ventus wouldn't work as he holds the keyblade with a reverse grip

Vanitas also wouldn't work because he holds it differently as well
Dark Samus exists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom