• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Y'know, whenever "repeat" third-parties are discussed, it feels like the only one we ever talk about is Master Chief. Nothing for Squeenix, like 2B or Lara Croft. It feels like the breaking of the "no third-party repeats" stigma is just for the sake of discussing Master Chief while staying within the generally agreed-upon standards of the speculative scene. Maybe we should talk about some Squeenix characters again.
it's tail time

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Y'know, whenever "repeat" third-parties are discussed, it feels like the only one we ever talk about is Master Chief. Nothing for Squeenix, like 2B or Lara Croft. It feels like the breaking of the "no third-party repeats" stigma is just for the sake of discussing Master Chief while staying within the generally agreed-upon standards of the speculative scene. Maybe we should talk about some Squeenix characters again.
This is even with Steve being in Fighter Pass 2 so if Sephiroth stops another Square Enix character getting in then by that logic Steve should be stopping Master Chief from being in the pass.

As for talking about Square Enix characters, I would love to see Ark from Terranigma get into Smash one day. He's got this brash and cocky attitude at the start of the game, he breaks into the basement he's told not to go into, basically destroys the entire world by touching a box and he's gotta fix the world back together and restart life.
Ark looking like a badass.png

SKX31

Smash Master
The reason why that is may be kinda evident - Chief is literally a console mascot, which is something only a select few characters can claim to have been and that alone is going to attract hopes (incl. from yours truly). Still. S-E is in that position where it has several characters who could approach that territory in terms of fame. Primarily Lara; although she's been mostly handled within her current developer Eidos - nowadays Square-Enix Europe. I'd argue that she still counts not only due to Eidos' new name, but also since :ulthero: 's handled by Armor Project after all.

Taito's Space Invaders (yes, Space Invaders are a S-E property, so yes, Space Invaders can and probably will appear in the next Kingdom Hearts somehow :4pacman: ) is the other game that's megaton due to its history, although it's got that primarly. Still if you were to pick a double dip dark horse, this one could work.

Of course, there are a lot of different S-E properties that could get in if there's a double dip (why is this term making me think of chips?), but if we're basing double dipping primarily on megatons, those two come to mind first. Still, there are lots of other options like other FF protags, Crono, JC Denton / Adam Jensen (Deus Ex) etc.

it's tail time
If Gex somehow gets in he needs to have quotes like "THAT'S NOT IN THE SCRIPT!" whenever he gets KOed. :roll:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Repeat third parties in the same pass are something to certainly keep in mind, especially if they're on the level of Master Chief or Lara Croft. However, it might be safer to speculate on characters without that issue in general if you truly want to guess at the final two. Counting them out fully feels like a bad idea considering Nintendo likes being Nintendo but I could equally see Nintendo finding other characters from their company or other companies they find as better choices even with Chief and Lara being solid choices.

So do you think the last two DLC characters being both third-party characters is guaranteed?
No way it's guaranteed either way I'd say. We could end up getting two Nintendo characters for all we truly know, though that's probably the least likely outcome.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Two other Square-Enix characters I think would be really cool that I’ve never seen anyone talk about are Raziel and Kain from the Legacy of Kain series. Unfortunately, it seems like that series is probably going to stay dead for the foreseeable future but I really loved their designs. Soul Reaver had a really awesome style and great writing so it was kind of sad to see Raziel and Kain fade into obscurity the way they did.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
This is dumb, weird speculation on my part but I feel that if we don't get any Nintendo first parties as the final two Challenger Packs, the possibility of the potential bonus that was found being an actual fighter goes up as that's where Nintendo would likely add one last fighter from their company.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So do you think the last two DLC characters being both third-party characters is guaranteed?
This is my bet, but I definitely wouldn’t call it guaranteed.

I still have a strong hunch that we’ll be getting an E3 double reveal in the same vain as Hero and Banjo. One Western cereal mascot, and one Eastern anime sword guy.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I would hate that lmao
I think it's a good way to bring everyone back, while still giving the 3rd parties their cut.

If they just had all of them as a bundle as well, I'd totally be willing to pay for that.

A new Final Smash for Samus I just pictured could be a sequence of her doing the Screw Attack a few times, like this (imagine her rival being caught in the middle of the air)

but much faster,
So...basically Pikachu's FS.

I think they will be, but nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't think it's guaranteed - while I feel like E3's reveal is going to be a third party character (presumably one that's especially exciting to a general audience, like Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot), I could see them ending on a first party character. (though I'm not sure who)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We've long since moved on from the topic, but I made this list of Pokémon characters that I think would make good additions to Super Smash Bros. and I'm going to share it anyway.
  • Team Rocket (Meowth): Meowth is the main fighter. The only Special Move Meowth can perform is Fury Swipes, so Jessie and James send out their other Pokémon such as Arbok, Seviper, & Wobbuffet (Jessie), and Wheezing, Chimecho, & Mime Jr. (James). Perhaps not those specifically, but something like that.
  • Alakazam: A more technical fighter that uses more common psychic tropes in its moveset. A cute thing they could add would be Magic Guard, which makes Alakazam immune to all damage from damage over time effects such as Eiha/Aigon.
  • Gengar: A slippery trickster style character that incorporates a ton of ghost tropes into its moveset.
  • Ditto: A copycat character of some kind: Replacing the random button outright, copying a random fighter each stock, or copying all of the fighters at the same time. For the last idea, it would copy the fighter’s most well-known action. So like, it’d have Sonic’s running animation, Mario’s jump, Captain Falcon’s Falcon Punch, Mr. Game & Watch’s Judge, Diddy Kong’s Up Air, etc. (Probably not that exact combination though.)
  • Eevee (& Eeveelutions): I’m not sure how exactly you’d get Eevee rolling, but you can’t not put it on the list.
  • Igglybuff: Even wackier Jigglypuff. This is a crappost idea, but it makes me laugh every time and it would just be an Echo Fighter so it gets a mention.
  • Azumarril: Maybe I just really like Azumarill, but it just kind of feels like a good choice, if a fairly basic one. Maybe Marill would be better though.
  • Scizor: An aggressive brawler character. It might could have a multi-jump, or some other weird jump, but would otherwise be pretty straightforward.
  • Heracross: It shall be known as the yeet bug, as it shall be a grab based character with a light weight due to its small sta-wait wadda ya mean it’s 4’ 11’’?!? OK maybe it’ll be a middleweight then. I believe it has wings too so it might have a non-standard jump. I kind of think it wouldn’t though.
  • Grovile: From Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. It uses various mechanics from throughout the series.
  • Blaziken: A very aggressive and fairly explosive Pokémon in the same vein as Captain Falcon.
  • Gardevoir & Gallade: A duo fighter of some kind, either tagging out like it’s a Double/Rotation battle, or by being two halves of a whole moveset. Perhaps Gallade does the normals and Gardevoir does the specials? I dunno exactly how that would work, but I feel like you should have both if you do one.
  • Slaking: A character that swaps from being incredibly fast for a heavy (and this includes frame data), and devastatingly slow for any character every minute or 30 seconds, forcing this weird aggressive/defensive strategy where you have to make use of your god-like stats while you can, and survive while you can’t.
  • Flygon: A character that incorporates Sandstorm mechanics into its moveset.
  • Absol: There are a few different ways they could do this. I think my favorite way would be to make him a trap character using Future Sight, where he foresees a disaster that will occur the next time either character passes over the area.
  • Deoxys: Hey look! Shulk is a Pokémon now.
  • Infernape: A fairly straightforward character, and a starter as well, but it definitely earns its spot here.
  • Staraptor: An aggressive multi-jump character. Fairly straightforward.
  • Luxray: An aggressive character that shows how cool electricity can be. Might have some gimmick with Electric Terrain or something.
  • Cynthia & Garchomp: Garchomp is the main fighter, but Cynthia helps out with items, and having her other Pokémon perform moves as well.
  • Weavile: A slippery rushdown character. Probably super technical.
  • Darkrai: An unorthodox zonerish character with Dark Void as a trump card.
  • Excadrill: A character that’s on the slower side. Until you use dig and then they zoom across the stage.
  • Zoruark: One of those technical rushdown characters. It relies on misdirection, and if it’s ever added to a Pokémon Trainer, it will take the form of a different Pokémon when swapped to.
  • N: Could be done Pokémon Trainer style where he uses a few different Pokémon that he’s used in the games while using Zekrom and/or Reshiram as a trump card, or he could just straight up use Zekrom or Reshiram.
  • Aegislash: The true anime swordfighter. Using King’s Shield, it can armour through and reduce the damage of any hit (though it will break after a while), but its next attack will come out slower, and it moves slower as well, making it more vulnerable.
  • Decidueye: A zoner character based off of the ranger archetype.
  • Lycanroc: An aggressive fighter with a pack of other Lycanroc that jump in for assists.
  • Mimikyu: A fighter that straight up copies Pikachu’s moveset, but with a malicious twist. It takes less damage when you hit it on the “head”.
  • Corviknight: A pretty large and heavy fighter. Mostly straightforward, but it’d be cool nonetheless.
  • Toxtricity: A Pokémon with a sound based moveset and punk rock inspirations.

"but you miss-"
No! This is my list. I spent 3 hours on it. I didn't miss anything. You cannot correct it. All other input is welcome.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nah, we can't say till it happens. :nifty: Remember when people were dying to say how FP1 was all third-parties? Even FP2 was getting that talk until Min Min immediately destroyed everyone. ****, people were even saying Min Min would be the only first party.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Nah, we can't say till it happens. :nifty: Remember when people were dying to say how FP1 was all third-parties? Even FP2 was getting that talk until Min Min immediately destroyed everyone. ****, people were even saying Min Min would be the only first party.
Thus is the life cycle of DLC speculation. trying to predict things by making rash judgements.

Min Min Gets revealed
"It's nothing but first parties and shill picks at that"

Steve gets revealed
"It will be nothing but Gen Z picks, Children bad amirite?"

Sephiroth gets revealed
"Only villains from here on out"

Pyra and Mythra gets revealed

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Thus is the circle of life of DLC speculation. trying to predict things by making rash judgements.

"It will be nothing but Gen Z picks, Children bad amirite?"

"Only villains from here on out"

So what you're saying is that CP10 will be a Gen Z pick (lol children bad) and CP11 will be a bad guy :4pacman:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Huzzah! A reason to actually watch.
You either weren't going to watch it you're going to watch a one hour presentation that's included in it and then wait until next year. Not much of a view booster lol

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think a Dark Souls character has a pretty good chance. What do you all think?
Dark Souls used to be a fairly common darkhorse name around here. Used to. Then we realized we all thought they were underrated, which meant they weren't all that underrated after all. They've been tossed around a fair bit nowadays, though in terms of Bamco characters in general, all eyes are on Lloyd as of late due to the question of his Mii costume.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well if the rumors of some nintendo news happening this month are true, I'm thinking it could be a mini.

With the releases of DLC characters being 2 months- 2 & a half months right now, I don't see CP10 being released at a longer gap.

So right now my prediction is:

April Mini confirming CP10 will be revealed in May.

CP11 revealed at E3, released in August.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think a Dark Souls character has a pretty good chance. What do you all think?
Or at least an "alright" chance...
I think it's fairly decent.

It looks like you're new here, so I feel I should note that it's generally against the rules to post multiple times in rapid succession (or "double post"). If you want to add something to a post, then you can click "Edit" instead, which appears next to the "Report" button on your post.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well if the rumors of some nintendo news happening this month are true, I'm thinking it could be a mini.

With the releases of DLC characters being 2 months- 2 & a half months right now, I don't see CP10 being released at a longer gap.

So right now my prediction is:

April Mini confirming CP10 will be revealed in May.

CP11 being revealed at E3, released in August.
I kinda doubt we'll be seeing another reveal only a single month after release. Anyways, where are these rumors? The Grubb wildcard statement?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I think it's fairly decent.

It looks like you're new here, so I feel I should note that it's generally against the rules to post multiple times in rapid succession (or "double post"). If you want to add something to a post, then you can click "Edit" instead, which appears next to the "Report" button on your post.
Hey thanks, sorry about that

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I kinda doubt we'll be seeing another reveal only a single month after release. Anyways, where are these rumors? The Grubb wildcard statement?
The Grubb statement apparently was for Pac-Man 99.

Edit: Almost forgot, remember that amiibo leak? It was fake.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Do you think a Dark Souls Challenger Pack would come with Demon Souls and/or Bloodbourne content?
No, I think they're owned by different companies. The Demon's Souls remake is published by Sony and developed by Bluepoint rather than FromSoft, so I think that's owned by Sony. Bloodborne also looks to be a Sony property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom