• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
MK11 on Switch is not too good online. Usually the Match is way less smooth than if you're playing Offline. Since I assume MK11 is using Rollback on Switch also, I think it's just the switch itself that kinda sucks

Also Off topic, I still don't understand why no Boss Battle mode. I really hope they didn't think just giving it for Sephiroth (which doesn't even have all the bosses) would suffice right?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
MK11 on Switch is not too good online. Usually the Match is way less smooth than if you're playing Offline. Since I assume MK11 is using Rollback on Switch also, I think it's just the switch itself that kinda sucks

Also Off topic, I still don't understand why no Boss Battle mode. I really hope they didn't think just giving it for Sephiroth (which doesn't even have all the bosses) would suffice right?
Seeing as how I lag like hell browsing the friggin eShop, yeah I’m inclined to think it’s the switch itself that’s the issue

Shroob

Sup?
This reads like how GG fans talked about their netcode before the beta with Rollback lmao

Also Power Rangers has rollback and it's a low budget title, the new Melty Blood's getting rollback, KOFXV's getting rollback, the Switch can handle it
Rollback, at the cost of Sion.

....granted, she got yeeted into Fate so she's going to be more popular there by proxy.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I would not be surprised if the key function was cited by Nintendo to be the Smash mode with online being a side thing.
The design of Ultimate's main menu makes this pretty clear. Which mode button is the largest one? Which mode button is placed in the upper left corner so that anyone used to reading text left to right/top to bottom sees it first?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
IMHO Human Tiki shouldn't be as slow as :ultbyleth: - I find that a bit of a pitfall with both Robin and Byleth. They're somewhat forced to play the strategic game while themselves are a bit too vurnerable to pressure to keep up with a large part of the cast*. If her primary defensive option is Dragonstone, then I doubt she'll have the range that the other two have. Pyra is worth mentioning here too - she's as slow as Byleth and Robin, but her tools are at the point where they have more of an impact.

*(Sidenote: TBF, that's something that can be allivieated in a future patch or game, like Byleth's buffs in the last patch. Those buffs did move the needle a little bit since now Side B and Up B are a bit more impactful.)
Yeah, the idea I had in mind was less "Human Tiki slow" and more "Dragon Tiki faster." Though, considering how she'd get much more range and power as a dragon, maybe the speed boost shouldn't be that much more. I'd imagine a dragon would weigh more than a tiny little girl (Unless dragons have hollow bones like birds, but Fire Emblem biology is another can of worms on it's own).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This reads like how GG fans talked about their netcode before the beta with Rollback lmao

Also Power Rangers has rollback and it's a low budget title, the new Melty Blood's getting rollback, KOFXV's getting rollback, the Switch can handle it
It's not a matter of whether rollback can be implemented or if there's a big enough budget (this is a big AAA game, after all), it's whether or not it would even make a difference in the Switch's awful online infrastructure.

That's why I asked about MK11, tbh, because it's on the Switch and also in other platforms too. You say the Switch can handle it, but I personally have a lot of doubts regarding that.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the idea I had in mind was less "Human Tiki slow" and more "Dragon Tiki faster." Though, considering how she'd get much more range and power as a dragon, maybe the speed boost shouldn't be that much more. I'd imagine a dragon would weigh more than a tiny little girl (Unless dragons have hollow bones like birds, but Fire Emblem biology is another can of worms on it's own).
Well at least in fire emblem manaketes tend to have average speed in their dragon form or a little less than average

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Considering what Sakurai said about both characters I think that's entirely intentional.
That's true, I just think they were a bit too pidgeonholed into that strategic gameplay. The big caveat to what I'm saying is that we're talking Ultimate's environment mostly, when a lot of characters can close in or punish mistakes in a flash.

But the thing is... I live in a third world country where adapters aren't easily found and I have to move to another room to enter the Eshop, let alone actually play online.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic here, but I don't think this turd can be fixed in any way, even with rollback. At most, that will be good for... my locals, I guess? But ultimately, the fact that the Switch's online functionalities are so bad means I would still need to import an adapter, and even then I'd most likely still get lag when playing against anyone from a far enough region in Brazil, let alone the rest of the world.
Ooof.

I know this is not much, but I'm actually kinda intrigued by Smash World Tour - partly since its first stage qualifiers are all online, and those online qualifiers feel like they're the first online competitions that actually matter. The online qualifiers are for the Regional qualifiers, which will be held in person (that is, same room) - the Regionals in turn are in order to qualify for the Global finals. I'm mentioning that since the South American online qualifiers are next week (Central American - except Mexico, which held its online qualifiers a couple weeks ago - are this week). Registrations for that are closed - and you'd need an ethernet adapter to enter.

And despite all of the bull****, 389 players entered the SA qualifiers. I'm not trying to argue that you should get online - I wanna point out that 16 of the 389 will qualify for the Regional, and in turn 1 of those 16 will go on to the Global finals (once the SA Online and SA Regional's over) and face off against some of Ultimate's best. That incentive was enough for 389 South Americans to enter, despite possible horrendous connection issues. Oh and the Regionals themselves will have prize money as well, so that's a much needed bonus.

I recommend following the SWT qualifiers, which are every weekend and actually pretty fun to watch if you're anywhere near curious about competitive. Partly for the character variety:

Southamerican smash.png

It's still a different costume aesthetically though.
Hey, it would work when Mario's not only has his Doctor version as a separate character, but also has Wedding and Builder Mario as alts (whydidn'ttheydothatwithmorecharactersIsweartoanythingholy).

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon Tiki was at least slightly slower because lol heavy. I'd imagine that they'd both be around middling speed though.

Also this is Tiki's dragon form:
1616796448600.png

I don't see this being lighter in any scenario.

This is of course assuming they don't give child Tiki adult Tiki's dragon form for whatever reason.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Vesperia is so close to Symphonia i wouldn't be surprised if it overtakes it, anyway in terms of japan vesperia is 5th while symphonia is 6, i really think it could go either way with the edge to Yuri, i say a 60:40 i Yuri's favour

anyway since his has already been discussed I'll go to the fir emblem topic

Roy is one of the worst FE lord's and i hope they cut him for anyone else in the net game, i don't see corrin staying either and ike and lucina I think could get cut as well without much backlash, assuming they add in lyn or anna, or some other popular character that isn't a blue haired guy or a white haired avatar.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ooof.

I know this is not much, but I'm actually kinda intrigued by Smash World Tour - partly since its first stage qualifiers are all online, and those online qualifiers feel like they're the first online competitions that actually matter. The online qualifiers are for the Regional qualifiers, which will be held in person (that is, same room) - the Regionals in turn are in order to qualify for the Global finals. I'm mentioning that since the South American online qualifiers are next week (Central American - except Mexico, which held its online qualifiers a couple weeks ago - are this week). Registrations for that are closed - and you'd need an ethernet adapter to enter.

And despite all of the bull****, 389 players entered the SA qualifiers. I'm not trying to argue that you should get online - I wanna point out that 16 of the 389 will qualify for the Regional, and in turn 1 of those 16 will go on to the Global finals (once the SA Online and SA Regional's over) and face off against some of Ultimate's best. That incentive was enough for 389 South Americans to enter, despite possible horrendous connection issues. Oh and the Regionals themselves will have prize money as well, so that's a much needed bonus.

I recommend following the SWT qualifiers, which are every weekend and actually pretty fun to watch if you're anywhere near curious about competitive. Partly for the character variety:
Yeah, yeah... I actually stopped competing because tournaments became online-only. It was a big bummer for me.

389, huh? That's roughly 2.5 times the amount of players in the biggest major I attended in Brazil, back when Ultimate had just launched... which sounds like a lot, but then you realize this is supposed to account for all of SA. I definitely should try online more, I guess, but it kinda shows how much this thing has affected the community outside of NA.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
With the Tiki idea, it's also worth noting that this would be a transforming character, so if they listed all the characters like they do now, we would have both Tiki and Tiki (Dragon) on the list. Or she'd be listed as, say, #83-84 Tiki, which is pretty amusing.

That's true, I just think they were a bit too pidgeonholed into that strategic gameplay. The big caveat to what I'm saying is that we're talking Ultimate's environment mostly, when a lot of characters can close in or punish mistakes in a flash.
Hm. Not sure how you'd fix that without making Byleth just another sword character or breaking Robin.

Roy is one of the worst FE lord's and i hope they cut him for anyone else in the net game...
At this point, Roy is very much a Super Smash Bros. character rather than a Fire Emblem one in the same way that Captain Falcon is more of a Super Smash Bros. character than an F-Zero one, and he holds a lot of value in that way.

...i don't see corrin staying either and ike and lucina I think could get cut as well without much backlash, assuming they add in lyn or anna, or some other popular character that isn't a blue haired guy or a white haired avatar.
Honestly, I think moving forward Fire Emblem is going to be in a weird rotating door situation where there are too many important characters to keep them all so we just get:
  • Marth, Ike, Robin, & [NEWCOMER]
  • Marth, Lyn, Byleth, Roy, & Chrom
  • Marth, Tiki, Tiki (Dragon), Byleth, & Ike
etc.
EDIT: These are just examples, I'm not suggesting that Lucina get cut forever when Marth is right there.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Smash Bros fans when they talk about cutting the popular Fire Emblem characters from the roster and saying no one will miss them

Per this. He actually won the first CYL poll outright; The only reason Lyn ranked higher was because they split up the votes for his Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn designs. One does not simply cut Ike without backlash.
Ike, Lucina and Roy won the first Choose Your Legends, so much to Smash Bros. fans' chagrin and to the chagrin of Roy haters, they do have a lot of fans.

Last edited:
Per this. He actually won the first CYL poll outright; The only reason Lyn ranked higher was because they split up the votes for his Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn designs. One does not simply cut Ike without backlash.
It's so strange when his games are the hardest translated games in the series to obtain. It says a lot about how appealing he is.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
yes i know he's one of the most popular, he's also the most unique of the generic swordies, but when it comes down to marth, robin, byleth and ike, his game is so much less important in the grand scheme of thing's though i think those 4+ Anna will probably be the best representation FE would ever get in a smash game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
yes i know he's one of the most popular, he's also the most unique of the generic swordies, but when it comes down to marth, robin, byleth and ike, his game is so much less important in the grand scheme of thing's though i think those 4+ Anna will probably be the best representation FE would ever get in a smash game.
Sure, the Tellius games didn't leave as much of an impact, but it's Ike. Regardless of how big his game of origin is, he's already established himself as very popular, and cutting him will still lead to a lot of negative reactions. You said he could be cut without much backlash, but I honestly don't see that timeline.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's so strange when his games are the hardest translated games in the series to obtain. It says a lot about how appealing he is.
Well, you see, Ike made the mistake of having his game (at least the first one), on that filthy Gamecube console that Nintendo wants to erase the existence of, Trotsky style.

Untitled.png

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

So the results of the best selling Tales game was released, and unsurprisingly Symphonia is the top selling Tales game. What's surprising is Zestiria selling the best in Europe.
Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia, the two loving brothers that dont wanna abandon eachother

Well, you see, Ike made the mistake of having his game (at least the first one), on that filthy Gamecube console that Nintendo wants to erase the existence of, Trotsky style.
Yeah.

To this day I regret not picking up his games in Walmart all those years ago. Radiant Dawn was just sitting there on the shelf for like 4 years. I was a dummy.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Sure, the Tellius games didn't leave as much of an impact, but it's Ike. Regardless of how big his game of origin is, he's already established himself as very popular, and cutting him will still lead to a lot of negative reactions. You said he could be cut without much backlash, but I honestly don't see that timeline.
I still would cut him as I think lyn can have a much better potential moveset with him than him (assuming he get's replaced, if they just cut him yeah that would be bad)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So it's like the movie Doctor where he's not canon, but he's always shown in compilation shots as if he was cannon.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah.

To this day I regret not picking up his games in Walmart all those years ago. Radiant Dawn was just sitting there on the shelf for like 4 years. I was a dummy.
The biggest dummy here is Nintendo for refusing easy money when it comes to preservation.

Nutshell | No Take, Only Throw | Know Your Meme

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The thing is Smash Bros is a game about game characters, not games themselves.

It doesn't really matter what Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn did for the franchise as much as it matters how much of a lasting impression the character itself had on the fanbase.
And in that regard Ike won the first CYL by a landslide and a half, has the most alts of any male character in Fire Emblem Heroes, and is the first male FE character to get a full-scale figure and one of two characters to have their figures developed in-house by Intelligent Systems.

Fact of the matter is, Ike is popular- popular enough that Intelligent Systems are confident in his star-power to sell merchandise.

That said, I do see the possibility of Ike getting cut, if only just so they can make room for an FE newcomer while also reintroducing him as DLC knowing that Smash and FE fans alike will buy him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom