• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
since the picture won't load I'll just write it out, bamco revealed the best selling tales games by region

Worlwide
1 Tales of Symphonia 2,400,000
2 Tales of Vesperia 2,370,000
3 Tales of Destiny 1,720,000

Japan/Asia
1 Tales of Destiny 1,630,000
2 Tales of Phantasia 1,330,000
3 Tales of Eternia 1,200,000

North America
1 Tales of Symphonia 940,000
2 Tales of Vesperia 810,000
3 Tales of Zestiria 600,000

Europe
1 Tales of Zestiria 481,000
2 Tales of Symphonia 480,000
3 Tales of Vesperia 410,000

this is all SKU's combined

tales of destiny sold 90k outside of Japan.........

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
since the picture won't load I'll just write it out, bamco revealed the best selling tales games by region

Worlwide
1 Tales of Symphonia 2,400,000
2 Tales of Vesperia 2,370,000
3 Tales of Destiny 1,720,000

Japan/Asia
1 Tales of Destiny 1,630,000
2 Tales of Phantasia 1,330,000
3 Tales of Eternia 1,200,000

North America
1 Tales of Symphonia 940,000
2 Tales of Vesperia 810,000
3 Tales of Zestiria 600,000

Europe
1 Tales of Zestiria 481,000
2 Tales of Symphonia 480,000
3 Tales of Vesperia 410,000

this is all SKU's combined
It's interesting that Tales of Vesperia isn't even on Japan's list despite being cited as omega popular there. May just be a tribute to how much more popular the series as a whole is though.

In terms of the Lloyd vs. Yuri debate, it looks like the disparity between the two overall isn't all that statistically significant so this really isn't all that helpful.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's interesting that Tales of Vesperia isn't even on Japan's list despite being cited as omega popular there. May just be a tribute to how much more popular the series as a whole is though.

In terms of the Lloyd vs. Yuri debate, it looks like the disparity between the two overall isn't all that statistically significant so this really isn't all that helpful.
It's all old titles for Japan's section, actually. I suppose Tales' popularity has just shifted to the West.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What do you guys think of this concept?
I would much rather have another Subspace Emissary than another World of Light but I’ll take what I can get. Any additional content, especially featuring Sephiroth, is more than welcome.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

Tales of Vesperia is 5th in japan, tales of symphonia is 7th in japan.

It's all old titles for Japan's section, actually. I suppose Tales' popularity has just shifted to the West.
there was popularity in both NA and JPN, it declined in JPN and has grown in NA but not enough to make up for what it lost in japn.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Tales of Vesperia not selling so much? Can't be because it was originally released on a system that Japan did not care about. Nah, that couldn't possibly be it despite Xbox 360 systems being sold out on it's release date and Yuri being Number 1 on the character popularity poll before the Playstation 3 version had come out.

Tales of Vesperia getting 5th in Japan is quite impressive for starting on a system with hardly any player base compared to the first 3 that were all released on the original Playstation(Tales of Phantasia did start on Super Famicom, but it was re-released on Playstation).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe, though that is assuming most of the titles beyond the third best seller are below the thousands. It's entierly possible that Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia still sold more (or at least, just as much) as it did elsewhere.

Tales of Vesperia is 5th in japan, tales of symphonia is 7th in japan.
I don't think that really matters. Even knowing this, you can't really argue that "Japan bias" would ensure Yuri since the Tales content we did get in Super Smash Bros. is from Tales of Symphonia. Since the two are really close in the both the other two regions as well as overall, I'd say that it's still a toss up.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
While I agree Lloyd and Yuri are the most likely, are there any other Tales characters you would love to see in Smash? My personal favorites are Rita Mordio, Zaveed, and Velvet Crowe. If any of them made it in, I would be really hyped.

Last edited:
While I agree Lloyd and Yuri are the most likely, are there any other Tales characters you would love to see in Smash. My personal favorites are Rita Mordio, Zaveed, and Velvet Crowe. If any of them made it in, I would be really hyped.
Gameplay-wise, I think Ludger would be the most fun. Jude's my favorite character-wise, and then there's Guy Cecil who is complicated Lloyd echo material. I wouldn't say no to anybody from the series, though.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Well, if we just do a simple math;

Japan/Asia sales of Vesperia = Worldwide sales - North America sales - Europe sales
= 2,370,000 - 810,000 - 410,000
= 1,150,000

Not so much difference from Eternia's 1,200,000.
Considering Vesperia HD Remaster is still selling decently well in Japan, I think it'll take the 3rd spot eventually.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
We have a Sakurai tweet in the morning for a change (which is nighttime in Japan).

I introduced it somewhere ... The NES robot was discolored, so it was decolorized. It is an individual that was referred to when making the "Smash Bros. X" fighter robot.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I introduced it somewhere ... The NES robot was discolored, so it was decolorized. It is an individual that was referred to when making the "Smash Bros. X" fighter robot.
And this is where everyone would use the pallet swap maker to make a Famicom R.O.B. pallet with a yellow head and base.

...IF WE HAD ONE!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
6 tho

a terra's theme remix would be ammazing, honestly more FF music would probably be a bigger selling point for me than a new character
That’s going to be the first thing I do if I ever get around to modding the game. Final Fantasy and Donkey Kong could use some more love in the music department.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
in Japan FF sales go like.

FFVIII 3,501,588
FFVII 3,277,776
FFIX 2,707,301
FFVI 2,550,000
FFV 2,450,000
FFX 2,325,251
FFXII 2,322,541
FFXIII 1,905,979
FFIV 1,440,000
FFIII 1,400,000
FFXV 1,036,879
FFII 760,000
FF 520,000

discuss i guess.

i just want FF6's boss battle theme.

EDIT: and FF10's battle theme

EDIT EDIT: And FF4's battle theme

EDIT EDIT EDIT: FF4's battle theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nh5QcbYvGM

Last edited:

FFVIII 3,501,588
FFVII 3,277,776
FFIX 2,707,301
FFVI 2,550,000
FFV 2,450,000
FFX 2,325,251
FFXII 2,322,541
FFXIII 1,905,979
FFIV 1,440,000
FFIII 1,400,000
FFXV 1,036,879
FFII 760,000
FF 520,000
What I get out of this is that PS1 was the height of the series there (like everywhere), then SNES, then PS2, and 15 apparently didn't impress people because its sales are barely over half of 13's.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

FFVIII 3,501,588
FFVII 3,277,776
FFIX 2,707,301
FFVI 2,550,000
FFV 2,450,000
FFX 2,325,251
FFXII 2,322,541
FFXIII 1,905,979
FFIV 1,440,000
FFIII 1,400,000
FFXV 1,036,879
FFII 760,000
FF 520,000

discuss i guess.

i just want FF6's boss battle theme.

EDIT: and FF10's battle theme

EDIT EDIT: And FF4's battle theme
So... don't expect anything from the first game?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering this is the same series that gave us Luke fon Fabre...
Oh you wanna know my thoughts on Luke?

I dunno, never played Abyss, I know the whole "Luke is a trash person but character development kicks in" but I've also heard some mixed stuff on how that's handled in general, but I was burned from Symphonia being incredibly disappointing so I never bothered giving it a chance

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eh, I'd plop Anna in there.
...and the series' most recurring character.
Pretty sure that's also Anna. I think the only other characters that recur are the Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light squad (direct sequel & remake), and Camus (is a notable character in two unrelated stories), excluding cameos in Fire Emblem Awakening, Fire Emblem Fates, and crossover titles.

FFXV 1,036,879
Is this the one that isn't actually out yet or are we going on the sixteenth entry now?

So... don't expect anything from the first game?
It gets retro points, so there's still a chance that it'll get something at some point.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's also Anna. I think the only other characters that recur are the Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light squad, and Camus, excluding cameos in Fire Emblem Awakening, Fire Emblem Fates, and crossover titles.
That was the point. She's an archer and the series' most recurring character. So you get both by adding her into the roster.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh you wanna know my thoughts on Luke?

I dunno, never played Abyss, I know the whole "Luke is a trash person but character development kicks in" but I've also heard some mixed stuff on how that's handled in general, but I was burned from Symphonia being incredibly disappointing so I never bothered giving it a chance
I liked Luke as a character. He’s probably my third favorite main protagonist in the series after Velvet and Yuri. I actually preferred him in the beginning of the game where he was cocky and arrogant. It made for some pretty funny scenes with their companion Meiu.

I still find it amusing that he was voiced by Yuri Lowenthall and the very next Tales protagonist’s name is Yuri Lowell.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
16 was the one that was announced a while ago, XV is 15, so the game that people waited 13 years for
that's 15, XVI is 16, XIV is 14, XV is 15
I-I knew that XV meant 15, I just didn't remember which one 15 was...

That was the point. She's an archer and the series' most recurring character. So you get both by adding her into the roster.
Oh, I thought you were suggesting more characters with that sentence rather than hyping up Anna. Although, Anna seems to just be whatever the devs feel like since her playable appearances have given her every weapon class except dark magic.

SKX31

Smash Master
Does this mean Squall is going to be our first non Final Fantasy VII character?
Hey, I'd absolutely like Squall. And partly because he's the kind of atypical swordie where he doesn't have a disjoint to rely on, but instead wants to get into peoples' faces most of the time (outside of his super moves).

And honestly, I wouldn't mind any of the main FF protags. Lightning would be an interesting hypotheoretical addition, even if she's not the most interesting personality. The Dissidia devs managed to make WoL stand out a bit, even if his Dissidia personality can be summarized into "If a cardboard box was a Shonen protagonist".

And so on with the other main protags like Terra and Tidus - whom I favor more than Lightning and WoL partly because their personalities are more 3 dimensional and partly because they can break the mage / swordfighter mold a bit with their specials.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I-I knew that XV meant 15, I just didn't remember which one 15 was...

Oh, I thought you were suggesting more characters with that sentence rather than hyping up Anna. Although, Anna seems to just be whatever the devs feel like since her playable appearances have given her every weapon class except dark magic.
Oh my bad, I thought I already typed out Noctis to make that clear. I know some of my dyslexic friends struggle reading Roman numerals so I thought maybe you were also dyslexic, hence why I explained 16

True, I forgot about that. Though bows are usually something she can access. I think Awakening is the only mainline game where her default class isn't an archer of some kind, and up until then she was an NPC. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Hey, I'd absolutely like Squall. And partly because he's the kind of atypical swordie where he doesn't have a disjoint to rely on, but instead wants to get into peoples' faces most of the time (outside of his super moves).

And honestly, I wouldn't mind any of the main FF protags. Lightning would be an interesting hypotheoretical addition, even if she's not the most interesting personality. The Dissidia devs managed to make WoL stand out a bit, even if his Dissidia personality can be summarized into "If a cardboard box was a Shonen protagonist".

And so on with the other main protags like Terra and Tidus - whom I favor more than Lightning and WoL partly because their personalities are more 3 dimensional and partly because they can break the mage / swordfighter mold a bit with their specials.
It wouldn't totally be in line with his normal gameplay, but I'd absolutely love it if Tidus had a special or a grab where he just pegs someone in the face with a blitzball.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
True, I forgot about that. Though bows are usually something she can access. I think Awakening is the only mainline game where her default class isn't an archer of some kind, and up until then she was an NPC. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It wouldn't totally be in line with his normal gameplay, but I'd absolutely love it if Tidus had a special or a grab where he just pegs someone in the face with a blitzball.
Wii Fit Trainer side b 2

it's strange how FF arguably has the most representation out of any 3rd party and yet it still feels like one of the worst represented franchises in the game.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I could totally see Tidus incorporating some of his Blitzball moves into his moveset. I’d be pretty disappointed if the sphere shot and the Jecht shot weren’t in there somehow.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From what I can find on the Wiki, she seems to not appear in battle at all until Fire Emblem: Awakening, and her primary weapon class in her appearances are:
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening-Swords
  • Fire Emblem: Fates-Bows
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses-Swords (She's initially a Myrmedon, though she does have an affinity for swords, axes, bows, and faith)
  • Fire Emblem Heroes-Axes (though there is a bow and a spear variant)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors-Bows
So usually swords or bows, but it can be whatever it seems. I'd imagine they'd give her most of the weapon types in Super Smash Bros., perhaps as a gimmick where she can outfit herself with different special moves provided by different weapons that she can buy from another Anna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom