• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm sure this seems obvious to some, but what really excites me about further speculation is that the remaining DLC characters can really go into any direction from here on out. That is to say, it might not just be "majority 3rd party" or "majority 1st party." I really think we could be getting anyone from obscure picks to industry giants.

My only question now is: will the last two remaining DLC fighters be announced together at E3?

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't know why they don't do this with more franchises. Because even if they don't want a character from them, they can still use them for stages. Compared to fighters, stages don't need to worry about marketability and stages from dormant franchises can garner interest in those franchises.
It's still dev time used for those stages though, so I'm not sure it would be a priority. Small Battlefield was included partly to have a Kalos-esque stage that could play all the tracks (Kalos-esque Bi-plats are pretty common competitive stages). I feel like a casual extra stage would need some other niché in order to warrant the dev time, but that's just me.

I'm sure this seems obvious to some, but what really excites me about further speculation is that the remaining DLC characters can really go into any direction from here on out. That is to say, it might not just be "majority 3rd party" or "majority 1st party." I really think we could be getting anyone from obscure picks to industry giants.

My only question now is: will the last two remaining DLC fighters be announced together at E3?
Difficult to say, leaning kinda towards no because they might want to reveal the last fighter in August / September (if the hypotheoretical E3 reveal is FP10). In the seemingly unlikely scenario there's an FP3 / additional DLC I could see it, but I don't consider two fighters at E3 likely because it would need specific timings for both CP10 and CP11.

Where is this from? I feel like I should recognize it, but it's not ringing any bells.
Google Image Search turned up "A Stranger in Town" which was a short story in Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Volume 3, (Legends, so the old EU Canon)

Because nothing is more Star Wars than defending a village by firing an enourmous chaingun into an army of prequel droids while said army is marching as if it was the 18th century. Practicality, what's that? :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the best sort of irony would be that if Kasumi had a modified version of her old design as a default, or alternate costume; Mai can't do it because Super Smash Bros. is a game for good boys and girls of all ages, but Kasumi can because playable character privileges. lol

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Alright, game time.

What characters do you think could fit in with Second Chance Theory, and why? We don't have anything solid go off of anymore (That we know of, at least), but I want to document a definitive list of potential options. Thinking of starting up a thread for this stuff. Also note that I don't think everyone on the list would be the only options; It's mostly for fun (And because I have nothing better to do with my time, apparently).
I've been getting really caught up with the idea of an Undertale rep, and I guess it could be part of the Second Chances theory. Basically, my line of thought is that after the immense reaction to the Sans costume, Nintendo made Sakurai add an Undertale character to the pass relatively last minute. This is why there are 6 characters in the pass. While it might usually be difficult to negotiate a character in such a short time period, UT's indie status actually becomes a benefit: you only have to negotiate with one guy, who would likely have no objections to having a character in Smash.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
In that case:
  • Eggman could bring way more Sonic music with him
  • Bandana Dee could bring more modern Kirby content in general
I don't think either are particularly in need for. We have plenty of Sonic Spirits and enough music, Modern Kirby has plenty of Spirits & Music as well as the series itself having a lot of stages, which if Sakurai had wanted a modern Kirby stage, he'd have put one in by now, he probably just prefers using his characters and games that he is more familiar with.
Bandanna Waddle Dee just doesn't feel 'big' enough for DLC, sorry to say, he is more of a Base Game pick.

Note: I know Piranha Plant is DLC, but given it was a timed free character and has a Palutena's guidance, it may have been intended for base game or as a character to give as a bonus since few would feel it was worth paying for or getting much hype, plus it didnt come with spirits, music, or a stage further separating it from other DLC fighters.
I mean it is worth noting that Age of Calamity has been a particularly strong success for KT, particularly in the West:

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is the best-selling Musou game with 3.5 million sales
True, but no one knew that was the case at the time, they were likely expecting similar sales as the last Hyrule Warriors game(s).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Random question: Would a Warframe character be referred to as Tenno (what everyone calls the player) or the name of their Warframe (likely Excalibur)? The game calls you Tenno, but the Warframe descriptions seem to refer to the Warframes as their own characters so I dunno.

Please don't respond with "they're disconfirmed". That's not relevant to the question.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don't think either are particularly in need for. We have plenty of Sonic Spirits and enough music, Modern Kirby has plenty of Spirits & Music as well as the series itself having a lot of stages, which if Sakurai had wanted a modern Kirby stage, he'd have put one in by now, he probably just prefers using his characters and games that he is more familiar with.
Bandanna Waddle Dee just doesn't feel 'big' enough for DLC, sorry to say, he is more of a Base Game pick.
Strictly speaking we don't have a particular need for any character. I'm a Sonic hater myself, but it is kind of strange that arguably the most famous 3rd party party franchise we have in the game only has one character.

cothero

Smash Lord
So, it looks like the "orchestra leak" is the safest leak out there... Guess we'll find out if it's true or not if the Monster Hunter mii costumes comes with Pyra/Mythra and most importantly, if Crash end up being the next fighter.

Pillow

Smash Lord
So, it looks like the "orchestra leak" is the safest leak out there... Guess we'll find out if it's true or not if the Monster Hunter mii costumes comes with Pyra/Mythra and most importantly, if Crash end up being the next fighter.
Orchestra leak is the fakest* leak out there. Seriously it has no validity whatsoever.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Note: I know Piranha Plant is DLC, but given it was a timed free character and has a Palutena's guidance, it may have been intended for base game or as a character to give as a bonus since few would feel it was worth paying for or getting much hype, plus it didnt come with spirits, music, or a stage further separating it from other DLC fighters.

True, but no one knew that was the case at the time, they were likely expecting similar sales as the last Hyrule Warriors game(s).
Modern Kirby doesn’t really have much music at all. I think what it does have is also just the original music rather than remixes.

edit: ok I checked to make sure and I guess it does have some good tracks, but still no remixes and is lacking in comparison to classic Kirby.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Something else that struck me regarding Monster Hunter's situation is thinking back to Sakurai's interview about Byleth (hear me out). This is what he had to say about their inclusion and why they were selected.

For this fighter, an important factor was being able to turn the protagonist of a game that people are playing right now into a fighter that players could experience immediately in Smash Bros.
As such, I tried my hand at working on the character while the source game was still in development.

I’m not exactly aware of what Nintendo’s future release plans are, so I go along with what they decide. It just so happens that the timing was right with Three Houses’ completion.
Switch isn't exactly bursting with big-ticket releases right now, but it's worth noting that Nintendo specifically requested a character / world that Switch owners would have been experiencing at the time, or at least fresh in their minds. There was about a five month gap between Three Houses and the announcement / release of Byleth, and there will (presumably) be a similar stretch of time between the release of Monster Hunter Rise and our final character.

The difference is obviously that Nintendo themselves made Three Houses and Capcom made MH Rise, but seeing how much stock Nintendo has in that game it's pretty much being propped up like they would have a first party title anyway.

It really feels like all the pieces are connecting for Monster Hunter to join, IMO.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Daily reminder that characters don’t get in based off how easy it is to fill up spirits, stages and music tracks but rather those factors come after the character is decided. BanDee and Dr. Eggman are still viable as DLC.

This argument literally means nothing, we have:ultminmin:ultpyra: as DLC and it’s a stretch to say that they are bigger than Bandana Dee.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There's nothing really valid about it, though - unless every single song is cut down to a minute and a half or two minutes, and they include music for every single character but Ken, I don't see what makes it realistic.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Hello smashboards users, today i am here to tell you why i think a capcom character is likely for future dlc.

1. Missing monster hunter miis(obvious)
2. Resident evil spirit event not containing claire(could be a mii)
3. Capcom still being involved with smash during the planning and end of planning of fp2(re spirit event happened right before fp2 was announced fully)
4. The capcom leaks had nothing on chun li and ryu joining fortnite at all so it doesn't go against the idea of capcom x smash
5. Long time since last capcom character
6. Dmc director saying they have to put dmc on switch if they want dante in smash, and dmc on switch announced just a few weeks later.
7. I want a capcom character

imo palico, dante, nero, and claire are looking most likely atm with palico leading the way

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've said this before, but Monster Hunter feels too likely. Every time we think the stars are right, we get a curveball thrown our way. Whenever we have the right idea, they break out a surprise that isn't how we expected it to go. Not saying we can't speculate well, but it just feels too easy, too good to be true.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There's nothing really valid about it, though - unless every single song is cut down to a minute and a half or two minutes, and they include music for every single character but Ken, I don't see what makes it realistic.
I don't really believe the leak and I'm not gonna defend the absence of Ken, but people are ignoring that it was just songs "under consideration" to be played and clearly tied to the individual characters.

The leak didn't say they would all be played - but yeah, I'm just clarifying semantics I'm not trying to sell anyone on it.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Something else that struck me regarding Monster Hunter's situation is thinking back to Sakurai's interview about Byleth (hear me out). This is what he had to say about their inclusion and why they were selected.

Switch isn't exactly bursting with big-ticket releases right now, but it's worth noting that Nintendo specifically requested a character / world that Switch owners would have been experiencing at the time, or at least fresh in their minds. There was about a five month gap between Three Houses and the announcement / release of Byleth, and there will (presumably) be a similar stretch of time between the release of Monster Hunter Rise and our final character.

The difference is obviously that Nintendo themselves made Three Houses and Capcom made MH Rise, but seeing how much stock Nintendo has in that game it's pretty much being propped up like they would have a first party title anyway.

It really feels like all the pieces are connecting for Monster Hunter to join, IMO.
byleth came out a few day's before 3 houses story DLC.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
byleth came out a few day's before 3 houses story DLC.
Well certainly Monster Hunter will be getting DLC eventually too, I don't think it's so much of a factor either way.

My sourced quotes came directly from Sakurai anyway. He didn't say anything about the DLC, he just said they wanted a character from a game that people would have played recently.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
True, but then there's also a Balancing Issue that comes in as well. Think of the Basic Gameplay of a Warriors Game. Wouldn't it be a Balancing Issue to get it working in Smash, and faithful to the Source Material, if we were to not get a Seventh Zelda Fighter. Especially when Hayabusa has 10x More History than Dynasty Warriors. It could happen, it's just that I can't see it. Honestly, if Hayabusa happens, he'd probably just be the Terry of his Company, with Music (and Content) from every other major Koei Tecmo Series besides Ninja Gaiden ONTOP of Ninja Gaiden.
Look, I also don't want a DW character, and Hayabusa is my most wanted, but it feels like you're just making up reasons why they wouldn't do DW.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't really believe the leak and I'm not gonna defend the absence of Ken, but people are ignoring that it was just songs "under consideration" to be played and clearly tied to the individual characters. The leak didn't say they would all be played - but yeah, I'm just clarifying semantics I'm not trying to sell anyone on it.
In that case, I'll also add that most songs in Super Smash Bros. are about 2 minutes long.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I've said this before, but Monster Hunter feels too likely. Every time we think the stars are right, we get a curveball thrown our way. Whenever we have the right idea, they break out a surprise that isn't how we expected it to go. Not saying we can't speculate well, but it just feels too easy, too good to be true.
I think this type of thinking is just being paranoid. It's not like the characters we get are always curveballs, and they almost always make sense in hindsight. "Too obvious" isn't a legitimate reason to discount a character.I'd also argue that Pyra herself was a pretty predictable pick, just most people expected her to come alongside Rex rather than Mythra.

This argument literally means nothing, we have:ultminmin:ultpyra: as DLC and it’s a stretch to say that they are bigger than Bandana Dee.
Being "bigger" is subjective, but Min-Min and Xenobaes both subscribe to the trend of 1st parties promoting newer Nintendo IP's on the Switch while Dee does not.

Hello smashboards users, today i am here to tell you why i think a capcom character is likely for future dlc.

1. Missing monster hunter miis(obvious)
2. Resident evil spirit event not containing claire(could be a mii)
3. Capcom still being involved with smash during the planning and end of planning of fp2(re spirit event happened right before fp2 was announced fully)
4. The capcom leaks had nothing on chun li and ryu joining fortnite at all so it doesn't go against the idea of capcom x smash
5. Long time since last capcom character
6. Dmc director saying they have to put dmc on switch if they want dante in smash, and dmc on switch announced just a few weeks later.
7. I want a capcom character

imo palico, dante, nero, and claire are looking most likely atm with palico leading the way
Palicos being a playable character over the hunters themselves is an odd choice, to say the least.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
ARMS reveal in March, Min Min and Steve reveal at E3, Min Min releases. Steve releases in September. September Direct reveals Sephiroth, Sephiroth releases in Nov/Dec. No TGA reveal, like 2019. 2021 largely unaltered.

I'm not going to go on Sephiroth "feels like" he was always set for TGA, I'm going to go with Directs typically getting priority. I think Joker was an aberration because that was launch night, and TGA worked for Sephiroth because of the lack of Directs.

That's what I think the original plan was. I don't believe there was going to be a release the typical span after Byleth because I think there was a gap between the development of Pass 1 and 2, wherein one ended and then the other started, as opposed to the revolving door of consecutive simultaneous development within the passes. I mean after Byleth Sakurai did say the next character wasn't going to be ready any time soon, or something to that effect.
Considering we're about to get the 4th character with 9 months to go, I find it hard to believe that they're behind schedule.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Being "bigger" is subjective, but Min-Min and Xenobaes both subscribe to the trend of 1st parties promoting newer Nintendo IP's on the Switch while Dee does not.
I see what you did there. And don’t you mean newer Switch titles, since Fire Emblem is an old IP? Star Allies exists so there is that to consider.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think this type of thinking is just being paranoid. It's not like the characters we get are always curveballs, and they almost always make sense in hindsight. "Too obvious" isn't a legitimate reason to discount a character.I'd also argue that Pyra herself was a pretty predictable pick, just most people expected her to come alongside Rex rather than Mythra.
Maybe I am paranoid, but the majority of the DLC so far have been surprises. Whenever we got someone right, there's a catch to it; Hero was leaked months prior, Byleth was widely predicted for FP2 rather than FP1, Steve's predictions petered out around here after Banjo, and Pyra was not expected to come solo. I'm just not one to really go along with the "safe" picks.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Mh rep would probably be palico tho since that's the series mascot and the most popular character. Not to mention the comments from the mh team on the generic human hunter in mvci. Palico also has a less complex moveset. If they can add pyra and mythra without rex, why not add the palico without the hunter? Also i forgot about the various nintendo themed costumes palicos have worn in the past thru collabs

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wouldn't Assist Characters like Waluigi and Shadow be examples of potential characters of Second Chance theory?

After all I'm sure good amount of the Assist characters were once thought of to be in the roster. Alucard is an official example of that

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
I see what you did there. And don’t you mean newer Switch titles, since Fire Emblem is an old IP? Star Allies exists so there is that to consider.
Fe is an old ip but it has a renewing cast so characters already in can't promote newer games. There's literally no benefit from adding bandana dee since kirby alone in smash can promote the newest game

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be fair, the first Xenoblade Chronicles released on the Wii in 2010, so while newer than Kirby, not really all that new.

As for games, there’s Star Allies in 2018 (coming after XC2 and before only a remaster and some DLC so far) and potentially a new game coming up (as well as Kirby Fighters 2 not too long ago).

Pillow

Smash Lord
To be fair, the first Xenoblade Chronicles released on the Wii in 2010, so while newer than Kirby, not really all that new.

As for games, there’s Star Allies in 2018 (coming after XC2 and before only a remaster and some DLC so far) and potentially a new game coming up (as well as Kirby Fighters 2 not too long ago).
For promoting a new game I think they only really did that with Fire Emblem 3H specifically, as they always do this for only Fire Emblem for some reason (and I guess Pokemon) . Xenoblade and ARMS, are newer franchises in general so I feel like it makes sense that Nintendo would want to push them as unlike something like Kirby, they're untested with less established fanbases. This reasoning is why I think something like Astral Chain or Ring Fit are probably more likely than old favorites like Dixie and Dee (if not the Spirit Event thing).

Maybe I am paranoid, but the majority of the DLC so far have been surprises. Whenever we got someone right, there's a catch to it; Hero was leaked months prior, Byleth was widely predicted for FP2 rather than FP1, Steve's predictions petered out around here after Banjo, and Pyra was not expected to come solo. I'm just not one to really go along with the "safe" picks.
That's fair. I'm just saying, when we reach a point when the unpredictable becomes the predicted, that's when they'll catch you off guard with the predictable pick.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice

Palicos being a playable character over the hunters themselves is an odd choice, to say the least.
Mh Team wouldn't want the hunters playable. If that were to happen, capcom definitely forced it lol. They have stated like a few times they didnt even want the hunter to be in mvc at all and they don't like them in spin offs. That explains why rathalos is base game and not the hunter. I bet you the mh team said no

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't Assist Characters like Waluigi and Shadow be examples of potential characters of Second Chance theory?

After all I'm sure good amount of the Assist characters were once thought of to be in the roster. Alucard is an official example of that
Kinda feel like that theory means more of a chance for characters that missed representation entirely due to being slightly too late to the party.

Another Sonic character? Sure, but Knuckles & Shadow's already repped, so it's more likely to be Tails or Dr. Robotnik.

Another Mario character? Always a possibility, but Waluigi is already an assist trophy and as we've already seen with Min Min getting in over Springman (because he's already a trophy) as well as Pythra (because Rex is a Mii and the real draw are the blades anyway), he's not likely to get a 'second chance' since he's already in as a trophy. We're more likely to get Kamek, Captain Toad, Toadette, or King Boo than Waluigi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Mh Team wouldn't want the hunters playable. If that were to happen, capcom definitely forced it lol. They have stated like a few times they didnt even want the hunter to be in mvc at all and they don't like them in spin offs. That explains why rathalos is base game and not the hunter. I bet you the mh team said no
If MH team sincerely didn't want the hunters as characters in Smash (which isn't something I really believe, but we can ignore that) then surely Capcom would just skip over Monster Hunter entirely and go for one of their many other popular characters. Assuming Nintendo wanted MH specifically, to promote the release of Rise, then surely it still wouldn't be a Palico because as far as I've seen Palicos are absent from the new game.

Edit: Nvm, after some quick googling it appears they will appear in Rise. They still seem like a silly inclusion though.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Huh, if they stated it a few times, surely you can get a source? Unless of course, it's a bull**** claim proven wrong countless times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom