• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
You know, I’m happy Xenoblade fans no longer have to live with the information they would’ve gotten a character had Sakurai had just a little more time.
HOLY *ING * THAT MASTER COLLECTION BOX ART WENT IN SO ****ING HARD IT IS SUPER SICK
View attachment 303701
Maybe one day this badass can finally make it into Smash but damn if this isn’t the next best thing
That boxart alone makes me want Hayabusa. I’m tempted to buy the collection after seeing that trailer.

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
One thing I have to wonder though, why does Nintendo insist on pushing controversial characters, when they have so many other options?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So far Sephiroth and Min-Min are kind of cool. But Terry's the overall DLC highlight for me.

I wouldn't doubt they'd throw Pokemon in as FP11, but they're absolutely not being FP10. If a Fighters Pass 3 happens though I'd say it'd be a guarantee at that point.

It'd be a big mistake to assume that Nintendo will end off Smash will a "hype" character. Looking at Wolf, Corrin/Bayo, Incineroar, and Byleth respectively.
I'd call Bayo pretty hype, all things considered. And hell, Wolf is pretty cool too.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Best parts of the direct for me was the Triangle RPG
Yeah the Octopath guys are making a Fire Emblum clone without the best part of OP, the amazing monster sprites. Yay...

I still wanted KOSMOS, but those huge....tracks of land make me happy.
I don't want to hear anymore complaints about Morrigan's appearance.

Not worse since they're proper transforming characters and not just stance switchers?
I mean, I certainly don't like that they're transforming(because it means this cost us getting another character). But even if I count this as having 3 XB characters, that's still way better than FE's 8.

With this, I think we can COMFORTABLY say goodbye once and for all to "The 40 Character List". No Pyra/Mythra. It had Rex, it had Lora (Torna) but absolutely no Pyra/Mythra.
Assuming that it was a list of characters Nintendo approved for Sakurai,I doubt if Sakurai saw Rex and he went "What about Pyra/Mythra instead?"that Nintendo would be like, "NO! It can only be Rex!!"

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I've got a question. Why did you think this was the only real shot for a first party? I've seen you say that quite a bit, but what's your reasoning?
The primary reason for me was lack of viable first party characters to begin with. Before today, I felt there was a good chance we were getting Rex or an 8th Gen Pokemon, but my gut feeling told me we weren't getting both. Obviously I was wrong and we got neither, but Pyrha's inclusion wasn't far off from why I thought Rex would come. I do not think Nintendo cares enough about Dixie, Toad, Bandana Dee, etc. to include them as DLC characters at this point.

After that it was mostly the timing of the reveal. First party characters tend to generate less waves, and Nintendo knows this which is why they stuck Pyrha in after Steve and Sephiroth but not at the end. If we were getting a Pokemon character I feel it would have been revealed on Pokemon Day, but that's too close to now. I know Smash has historically not ended on high notes with DLC choices, and I think it's very possible that this remains true - as there are just very few characters in general that are bigger than Steve or Sephiroth. I also think their attitude towards DLC is become more strategic in general, and with Ultimate likely coming to a close with FP2, I can't envision any Nintendo characters in the remaining pool being selected as one of the final 2. All the remaining choices are, in my eyes, all 3rd party characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Way back when we got Min Min, I remember folks (myself included) more or less made some observations/predictions given the situation surrounding Spring Man, and now Rex. I'm gonna follow up on that.

First off, I'm pleased with this pack. I love Xenoblade and enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I like Pyra and Mythra, so I'm down to clown.

That said, this gave me pretty big vibes of avoiding double dipping with AT's or costumes. This is the second 1st party in a row that has avoided this or done something like this.

Next, a point I haven't seen folks come back to but something I mentioned post- Min Min...There's a focus on Switch software with First Party picks.

Three Houses. ARMS. Xenoblade 2. The only major new to Switch and "Smash" title that isn't included at this point is Pokemon Sword & Shield. Obviously patterns can be broken, but this seems relatively consistent and I can see why Nintendo would advocate for this if they're adding characters they own.

If you ask me, I think this makes things worse for upgrades, but also not great for 1st party non-Switch titles. That just seems to be the way Nintendo is going about it at this point.

Not sure what would come next, but that's gonna have to wait until we get Mii's anyway. I'm predicting a Pneuma alt for the Xeno-gals, as well as MAYBE a KOS-MOS skin. If the Lloyd costume is back I feel that it'll be with this pack. It could certainly come with another, but I'm going to consider it especially sus if it's not with this pack.

Shroob

Sup?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well since they're clearly addressing franchises that have a lack of a newcomer, maybe, just maybe a Zelda character is still possible down the line?

I mean FF7 got little content, so Sephiroth happened. More FF7 content came with it, as another stage and more music.

ARMS was planned initially, Rex was too. This was solved, Minecraft was also in discussion for a long time.

I kind of think we'll see Monster Hunter eventually because of this all.

A Zelda newcomer too, maybe ? Seems likely because the focus seems to be more on first party characters. Sephiroth and Steve where probably easy to negotiate for third party characters cause of Cloud, Hero and Banjo all being in already.

No idea who else is left honestly. But patterns seem to apply here more than with FP1.

Min Min seemed to implied backtracking of ideas. Sephiroth and Steve seem to imply a character owned by companies already involved in Smash goes easier. And Sephiroth and Pyra / Mythra seem to imply we get characters from franchises already in Smash this time.

🤔

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
One thing I have to wonder though, why does Nintendo insist on pushing controversial characters, when they have so many other options?
XBC2's a pretty popular game, so it's not THAT out there, just that a Blade fighting without a Driver was fairly unexpected, outside of a couple people suggesting it. Kind of like how when we discussed Fighting game characters before Terry's reveal, SNK only got mentioned a few times, but was still on a few eyes at least. Though compared to Tekken and MK, far less so.

Now watch em use Hayabusa's classic NES design for Smash lmaooo
You say this like it's bad. Both versions of Hayabusa are clean, classic Ninja content.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They already got your money from Steve and Sephiroth.

I.D.

Smash Lord
The salty smash fans on reddit/twitter/wherever trying to mask their own butthurt by pretending XB2 fans are DEVASTATED due to getting a XB2 that isn't the protagonist is merely the second best thing I've watched today, but still

1496267379672.jpg

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Are Pyra and Mythra controversial? Rex / Pyra were like, one of the highest requested characters in Japan and were no slouches over here either. Xenoblade 2 was one of the more well received games in the Switch library and Xenoblade had been climbing up the ranks and asserting itself as a major Nintendo series for a little while now. Sakurai felt the need to outright apologize for excluding Rex in the base game.

I think this is an extremely safe character. The most shocking thing is obviously how it's Pyra and Mythra themselves, but I don't think it's controversial at all.

We can safely lay the Chun-Tales leak to rest can’t we?
Not really?

I'm not putting much stock in it, but the leak never actually said we were guaranteed those characters in the first place - just that they were planned at some point. It doesn't really have a proper expiration date. There are also still two characters remaining, and it didn't mention Min Min despite Steve and Sephiroth being a part of it anyway. I don't think it's impacted very much.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
The salty smash fans on reddit/twitter/wherever trying to mask their own butthurt by pretending XB2 fans are DEVASTATED due to getting a XB2 that isn't the protagonist is merely the second best thing I've watched today, but still

View attachment 303704
Y'know, the widespread and intensive fervor of fans of specific works when things don't go their way sounds like it would make one hell of a Keter-class SCP...

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm very happy with Xenoblade finally getting proper treatment in Smash Ultimate. Pyra and Mythra are really cool. After waiting over a year, the Direct was kind of disappointing to me with a lot of the announcements consisting of ports and shovelware, but I'm not surprised considering the success of the Switch has caused Nintendo to become somewhat complacent.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
lol

Yeah, the strongest negative reaction here is "ugh. Why?".

Y'know, the widespread and intensive fervor of fans of specific works when things don't go their way sounds like it would make one hell of a Keter-class SCP...
I believe there is a very similar Explained SCP dealing with celebrities.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Since Pyra and Mythra are main characters. The protagonist first rule hasn't been broken right?
Protagonist first only applied to franchises anyway, not individual games.

Since we already have Shulk, all XB characters are fair game without effecting the rule.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not sure what would come next, but that's gonna have to wait until we get Mii's anyway. I'm predicting a Pneuma alt for the Xeno-gals, as well as MAYBE a KOS-MOS skin. If the Lloyd costume is back I feel that it'll be with this pack. It could certainly come with another, but I'm going to consider it especially sus if it's not with this pack.
Yeah, I'm kinda interested on what Pyra and Mythra's costumes will be, considering that compared to Min-Min, Steve and Sephiroth, they aren't allowing us to see Pyra and Mythra's costumes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pyra and Mythra are only controversial if you're a prude.

Considering you folks lusted after Sephiroth for months... you don't get to play that card.

Feel free not to like them, but the controversy surrounding them is the same as any other female character with sexual aspects to their design. Just like ZSS and Bayonetta.

They went through that stuff too.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I'm all for putting leaks out to pasture when they've been invalidated, but I don't see how this reveal does that.
Thing about the Chun-Leak is the only character it implied would come to Smash is a Tales of character. Until we get Lloyd's costume back, or FP2 ends, it can't be disproven.

Reimu KOS-MOS leak is fully dead though.
Not until we see the Lloyd Mii costume, no. Nothing it in pointed to today, nor did Pyra/Mythra influence the leak at all.

As soon as Lloyd's costume comes back tho? Dead.
Not really?

I'm not putting much stock in it, but the leak never actually said we were guaranteed those characters in the first place - just that they were planned at some point. It doesn't really have a proper expiration date. There are also still two characters remaining, and it didn't mention Min Min despite Steve and Sephiroth being a part of it anyway. I don't think it's impacted very much.
My bad. I meant the KOS-MOS leak. Couldn’t even get the name right lmao. smh.

Pillow

Smash Lord

Considering you folks lusted after Sephiroth for months... you don't get to play that card.

Feel free not to like them, but the controversy surrounding them is the same as any other female character with sexual aspects to their design. Just like ZSS and Bayonetta.

They went through that stuff too.
I don't really see Pyra's risque costume being the primary reason she's disliked. It's just her overall design is (in my opinion) kind of generic, and she's another anime character with a sword. I don't dislike Pyra, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer a character who had a more distinct design compared to the rest of the Smash cast.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Don't worry. Everyone here's also clowning on this idea.

Still hilarious that they needed to give Pyra sheer tights though. Like, what does that even accomplish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom