• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm not an expert on the Final Fantasy fanbase or anything, but do people like Lightning? I know FF13 is very controversial game, but is Lightning herself cool character or is she kind of hated on as well?
I think in regards to Final Fantasy XIII, no one really hated Lightning. But Square was definitely trying to push her in regards to the sequels and when they were really pushing her was when she became rather divisive among players. Cause you know, why should this character I don't care about get attention compared to the characters I do like And like, Square was really trying to push her, not just from the sequels focusing on her, as well as Duodecim Dissidia giving her a bit more of a main role in the 012 part and her having a big side quest in FFXIV, but last time I checked:
-She was part of a car commercial. Or some sort of vehicle commercial.
-She was part of an advertisement for a perfume.
-She had something where she was dressed very fancy, I don't know whether it was an advertisement for a dress or something else.
-She was supposedly the one that Square wanted to put in Playstation All-Stars compared to Cloud. That aside, she was in a Playstation commercial where she was in a bar with other Playstation characters compared to other FF characters.

Like she was being pushed with alot of gaming and non-gaming commercials and advertisements. Nowadays, she's not really everywhere and I haven't really seen people hate on Lightning as much, so I assume with her not appearing as much, people have mellowed out a bit regarding her.

FFXIII is still rather controversial due to the gameplay and the pacing, but by what I've heard, the sequels were actually decent gameplay-wise and were more open compared to the original game. Story-wise, not so much. And I think that's the main thing I hear is that the games get better gameplay-wise per sequel while the story just becomes more convoluted.

That said, I don't get why Final Fantasy XIII got slammed for being straightforward hallways when Final Fantasy X was very much just straightforward until the end of the game when you got the airship.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I know J Stars Victory Vs and JUMP FORCE, (I own both) but I mean an ACTUAL sequel to the Smash Bros platform and koma customization gameplay...

or are you actually talking about Jump Stadium...the mobile one made by Konami...
Yeah, I was talking about Jump Force, which was a rather disappointing game to me. I probably would've enjoyed Jump All Stars, but I never was able to play the game.

her having a big side quest in FFXIV
I have nothing to add to the rest of what you said, but I wouldn't really call her FFXIV event a "big side quest"

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I have nothing to add to the rest of what you said, but I wouldn't really call her FFXIV event a "big side quest"
I only remembered it being advertised a lot, so I assumed it was some notable side quest. Or was it nothing compared to some of the other cameos, like the Final Fantasy Tactics dungeon and the main boss cameos, like Kefka and Exdeath?

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I only remembered it being advertised a lot, so I assumed it was some notable side quest. Or was it nothing compared to some of the other cameos, like the Final Fantasy Tactics dungeon and the main boss cameos, like Kefka and Exdeath?
It was just a small event quest, similar to the Dragon Quest crossover, and it's not even around anymore. Kefka and Exdeath are full raid bosses (as are a lot of Final Fantasy villains/monsters/summons).

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It's unlikely that they would create an Ultimate Deluxe if the next Nintendo system could already play Ultimate as is.
Nah makes it more likely lol. It would make Nintendo more money to sell Ultimate for two Generations and then make a New Game. Fighting Games almost always have Definitive Editions after the DLC is done, and I think Smash Ultimate would greatly benefit from one lol.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nah makes it more likely lol. It would make Nintendo more money to sell Ultimate for two Generations and then make a New Game. Fighting Games almost always have Definitive Editions after the DLC is done, and I think Smash Ultimate would greatly benefit from one lol.
It would actually make less money, as I don't think that people want to be sold the same game again but with more content. That's one of the reasons why third versions for Pokemon became very unpopular and were eventually abandoned.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
It would actually make less money, as I don't think that people want to be sold the same game again but with more content. That's one of the reasons why third versions for Pokemon became very unpopular and were eventually abandoned.
Don't forget about the Bowser's Inside Story disaster that killed Alphadream, especially since the game released in, like, the tail end of the 3DS's life.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually they became unpopular because Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon were almost exactly the same thing, except with some story changes that made them worse. "Pokémon Z" was highly anticipated, and from what I saw most people were excited for the idea of a director's cut version of the games when Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon were revealed, they just didn't turn out to be good.

I do imagine a Super Smash Bros. Complete Edition would sell a bit less, but it wouldn't be too much of an issue since most if not all of the content would already be made since it's pretty much just a "it's the game, but with all the DLC on the box" kind of thing.

Don't forget about the Bowser's Inside Story disaster that killed Alphadream, especially since the game release in, like, the tail end of the 3DS's life.
Not the same thing. That one's a full-on remake, and Alphadream was already going down when they made it.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Not the same thing. That one's a full-on remake, and Alphadream was already going down when they made it.
Makes sense to me, but the principle still stands; why play a new version of the game when you can play the original on the system the new one is compatible with? Especially since I heard that the new content in the new version isn't necessarily all that worth it.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Oh, people would. Nintendo got a lot of people to Double Dip with several titles from the Wii U when they got ported to Switch, so I’m confident they could get people to double dip on Smash.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Makes sense to me, but the principle still stands; why play a new version of the game when you can play the original on the system the new one is compatible with? Especially since I heard that the new content in the new version isn't necessarily all that worth it.
apparently Alphadream was really desperate. They didn't have the funds to make a switch game, and they didn't have the time to make an original game. People prefer BiS to PiT, so they went with that one.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe outsold the original by almost 4 times the amount. It really just depends on how well the next system does.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I mean it depends on the system, Breath of the Wild is on Wii U first but more copy were sold from Switch and it is already surpassing Wii sales number and Ultimate is on that system but I don't know if there's going to be something more to it in this hypothetical "complete" edition.

I mean Switch is already a better console then Wii U so it's easier to see MK 8 Deluxe outsold the original.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I wish the second FF character had been someone from another FF other than 7, FF is more than FF7!
Terra, Bartz, Cecil, Firion, Yitan!
That reminds me, I've been slacking off heavily on that dare I had for FF movesets. Still need to start up on Kefka.

Gonna have to ask, does Kefka usually use weapons or is his 100% magic? I believe he used a mace before the timeskip, but I'm not sure if that's really stuck in later installments.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Personally, I would've gone with the Warrior of Light. Would be cool to see a light elemental swordsman, especially given how many cool moves he's acquired over the years.

Weird how he's one of the most logical inclusions to put in being "Mr. Numero Uno" in a long-running franchise, but also completely nonsensical as he is a character retroactively created to serve as a representative of a game which features nondescript characters, design-wise based off of concept art rather than anything "real" in-game, and almost completely characterized as a person in spinoffs like Dissidia.

Still though, cool character design. Would've killed for some Amano designed character in Smash.
1612676324610.png

Ignore the fact that this is a Nomura drawing of an Amano character.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
When it comes FF Zidane or Vivi would be really cool, but Warrior Of Light/Darkness from FFXIV Might be the most unique (and would also bring the best music don't @ me)

They could have a mechanic about switching different classes and playstyles (Tank, DPS, Healer), and each Archetype can utilize a bunch of weapons and abilities from classes within that playstyle.

Each of their alts could also be different Races and Genders.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wish the second FF character had been someone from another FF other than 7, FF is more than FF7!
Terra, Bartz, Cecil, Firion, Yitan!
It's understandable though, it isn't a situation where Smash isn't big enough for Cloud and Sephiroth, but Cloud and Sephiroth go hand in hand with Final Fantasy representation, you got some of the two biggest characters from the franchise from one of if not their most influential game.

That being said, I'm sure they're done with the representation of FF7 now, unless Zack gets an Echo in Smash 7. :jojo:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
It's understandable though, it isn't a situation where Smash isn't big enough for Cloud and Sephiroth, but Cloud and Sephiroth go hand in hand with Final Fantasy representation, you got some of the two biggest characters from the franchise from one of if not their most influential game.

That being said, I'm sure they're done with the representation of FF7 now, unless Zack gets an Echo in Smash 7. :jojo:
The big question is, who's next for Final Fantasy? I've been thinking about Squall or Noctis (both games I haven't played, but would love to in the near-future)... and that's just about it. I've only played VII and partway into XIII.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If we were to have a FF rep that wasn't from FFVII, Terra would be my immediate choice. FFVI is my second favorite FF right behind FFVII.

That said one underlooked choice for a FF rep I'd say is Cecil Harvey. FFIV, while not a superstar like FFVII, was still a pretty important and big game for the series I'd say. It's probably one of the most ported FF games of all time, and even got an outright remake on DS. IN terms of gameplay I could see Cecil having a pretty cool moveset based on his whole "dark vs. light" shtick where he switches between his Dark Knight and Paladin forms (similar to Dissidia).

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The big question is, who's next for Final Fantasy? I've been thinking about Squall or Noctis (both games I haven't played, but would love to in the near-future)... and that's just about it. I've only played VII and partway into XIII.
My guess would be FFX. It'd one of the most popular FF games after FFVII (one notable poll even has it beat VII) and one of the most successful mainline games in the franchise, being beat by only VII, XIV, and XV in terms of sales. It definitely would be a strong second choice for Sakurai if he was looking for another game to represent.

After that, it could be IV for its influence or VI for its popularity, my personal vote would go to the latter since Terra would be great to play as.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
When it comes FF Zidane or Vivi would be really cool, but Warrior Of Light/Darkness from FFXIV Might be the most unique (and would also bring the best music don't @ me)

They could have a mechanic about switching different classes and playstyles (Tank, DPS, Healer), and each Archetype can utilize a bunch of weapons and abilities from classes within that playstyle.

Each of their alts could also be different Races and Genders.
Yeah, XIV music is fantastic, plus it includes a lot of remixes of other FF music anyway. Don't really care about seeing WoL as a smash character (Y'shtola is kind of the crossover character for XIV), but I'd definitely love to get some of the music (Eden Shiva theme, Shadowbringers theme, and Titania theme are all particularly good). Unrelated, but jesus christ the new healer class they teased yesterday for the new expansion is the most anime **** ever.

In terms of the "next" Final Fantasy character, I personally think it would be the Black Mage. They could use Vivi if they wanted a named character, but in my opinion little dude with hidden face wearing a blue robe and pointy hat is the next thing I think of when I think Final Fantasy, other than a Chocobo or Moogle. Though Squall would be the next likely, for some reason people love gunblades, as dumb looking as they are, and Kain would be after him since Dragoons are the other distinctly Final Fantasy class following Black Mages.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Eh, hard to say. Could be Terra, could be Lightning in the worst timeline, could be the new character from XVI for shilling, who knows? I want Warrior of Light personally for both FF1 love and Dissidia representation, but I'm just baised.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh, hard to say. Could be Terra, could be Lightning in the worst timeline, could be the new character from XVI for shilling, who knows? I want Warrior of Light personally for both FF1 love and Dissidia representation, but I'm just baised.
Not gonna lie, I have not met a single Warrior of Light advocator that wasn't a fan of Dissidia, lol.

Suppose if you were a classic Final Fantasy I fan, you'd rather push for Black Mage or something.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nah, semi-controllable Odin and Final Smash Zantetsuken would not be the worst timeline.
When Lightning is involved, it's always going to be the worst. :214: You will never convince me otherwise.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well personally, my "worst timeline" scenario would've been if they chose like...
Chocobo.

I love these giant birds but acquiring the rights to a Final Fantasy Smash character and using it on a nondescript mount? No thanks.

Would've had a unique moveset I suppose.

Now Cactaur? Now that's a random mob I can root for.
1612680782358.png

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Well personally, my "worst timeline" scenario would've been if they chose like...
Chocobo.

I love these giant birds but acquiring the rights to a Final Fantasy Smash character and using it on a nondescript mount? No thanks.

Would've had a unique moveset I suppose.

View attachment 302193
To be fair to Chocobos, they do technically have their own game franchise, and they at least have proper limbs which makes them superior to something like DQ Slime. The actual worst timeline would be a Moogle. Honestly, I'd be pretty happy with any of the Final Fantasy protagonists. They're all pretty great in their own way, and FF is still the most prolific and well recognized JRPG franchise of all time so I wouldn't be upset to see even 2 or 3 more Final Fantasy characters in Smash

My favorite Final Fantasy monster is the FFXIV Namazu (Seriously look at these things) though my favorite staple monster would be the Tonberry.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
When Lightning is involved, it's always going to be the worst. :214: You will never convince me otherwise.
Dissidia 012 had Lightning and that was the best timeline. Certainly better than Dissidia NT and the timeline that is E-sports.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The big question is, who's next for Final Fantasy?
I think it's going to be a looooong time before we get a 3rd FF character.

SE just has so much else that could use representing. Seph managed to jump the line because he's one of the most iconic villains in all of video games.

But to answer your question: Gilgamesh.

Suppose if you were a classic Final Fantasy I fan, you'd rather push for Black Mage or something.
That's generally my classic FF pick.

Though these days, I'd rather have a Mii Mage and just have Black Mage as one of the costumes than actually getting Black Mage as a separate character. Because a Mii Mage would just get soooo many more characters in.

Chocobo.

They'd both make excellent ATs.

1000 Needles does 100.0%, then he runs away...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom