• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm afraid to ask this, but since Resident Evil was mentioned, I need to ask this

Do you think that cases like that Vampire Woman in Resident Evil village, as well as stuff like Shirtless Sephiroth, show that Attractiveness/Sexyiness is something that is useful for marketing/selling the game to people? And could we see Nintendo capitalize on this more in the future of Smash, maybe perhaps through Paid DLC costumes?
This theory makes no sense. Characters will not make it in for the sake of fanservice. Unless it is of the literal variety (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie:)

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Whenever someone mentions Kiryu my mind immediately shoots to Mechagodzilla rather than Yakuza. These past few pages had me seriously confused for a hot minute.View attachment 300554
Samesies. I think less of whatever this Yakuza stuff is and more of "that time they went gravedigging to use the skeleton of the old Godzilla and used it as a frame to build a new robot Godzilla and every now and then the old Godzilla's spirit would take over... and then they installed an Absolute Zero Cannon onto it"

And then Kiryu was exclusive to the Xbox version of Destroy All Monsters Melee... us with the Gamecube version still had 90s Mechagodzilla. I mean, 90s Mechagodzilla is associated with one of Ifukube's greatest themes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhD_iGKd3o4 but still like... Kiryu man.... where is our Destroy All Monsters Melee HD?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm afraid to ask this, but since Resident Evil was mentioned, I need to ask this

Do you think that cases like that Vampire Woman in Resident Evil village, as well as stuff like Shirtless Sephiroth, show that Attractiveness/Sexyiness is something that is useful for marketing/selling the game to people? And could we see Nintendo capitalize on this more in the future of Smash, maybe perhaps through Paid DLC costumes?
I don't think Nintendo would really capitalise on that type of fan service, even then it'd probably do very little to change how people go about buying the DLC since most people buy the characters regardless. Making business relations with other companies is much more valuable to Nintendo, especially with companies like Square Enix who they initially blew off during the 5th console generation.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have no doubt that if Silent Hill got a character somehow, someway, in my dreams it would most certainly be Pyramid Head regardless of it making any kind of sense. Pyramid Head has already crossed over into games like Dead by Daylight, Krazy Kart Racing, and Super Bomberman R (yes, really) and he even got a remixed design in Homecoming much to the original creators chagrin.

Pyramid Head has a psychopathic back story but overall its icon status COULD push them through if they toned done how grotesque they are.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Samesies. I think less of whatever this Yakuza stuff is and more of "that time they went gravedigging to use the skeleton of the old Godzilla and used it as a frame to build a new robot Godzilla and every now and then the old Godzilla's spirit would take over... and then they installed an Absolute Zero Cannon onto it"

And then Kiryu was exclusive to the Xbox version of Destroy All Monsters Melee... us with the Gamecube version still had 90s Mechagodzilla. I mean, 90s Mechagodzilla is associated with one of Ifukube's greatest themes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhD_iGKd3o4 but still like... Kiryu man.... where is our Destroy All Monsters Melee HD?
Seriously though, my want for another Godzilla fighting game in the same style as DAMM and STE is staggering. I hope Pipeworks is open to making a third installment eventually.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This theory makes no sense. Characters will not make it in for the sake of fanservice. Unless it is of the literal variety (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie:)
Plus, the fanservice shirtless Sephiroth is about is closer to the literal variety than the sexy kind. Same with swimsuit Shulk and shorts ZSS.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Pyramid Head has already crossed over into games like Dead by Daylight, Krazy Kart Racing, and Super Bomberman R (yes, really) and he even got a remixed design in Homecoming much to the original creators chagrin.
I mean, pretty much every serious Pyramid Head appearance in Silent Hill content is much to the original creators chagrin, since Pyramid Head was intended for James only.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Still waiting on Nintendo vs. Capcom.

Come on guys, you know you want it.
Nah, I'm not really feeling it. I'd just be kinda bored because most - if not all - of the roster would be faces we already see in Smash, so the game would very likely depend entirely on the Capcom side for its roster to interest me

SEGA vs. Capcom on the other hand would be interesting IMO, because SEGA don't already have their own big crossover fighting game most of the picks would likely come from, and both companies have something in common: two very colorful and well-designed libraries of characters with a distinguished style that, when pit against each other, would probably make one of the most kickass fighting game rosters ever. NvC doesn't really have that same energy to me.

TL;DR Amigo vs Amingo would be the dream match of the century
imma say it again yall

"do you have a better idea?"

yes. i do.

project x zone 3.

heck maybe add Square Enix, Konami, SNK and Atlus to it, adding the likes of Cloud, Luminary, Sephiroth, Terry, Joker, the Belmonts and Snake. and the overdue additions of Shulk and Bayonetta.

my headcanon is that PXZ is canon to smash ever since Fiora, Chrom and Lucina were in 2, I will die on this hill
PxZ3 could be really interesting, but TBH I feel like adding anymore companies at this point would be overdoing it. I'd rather they explore the untapped potential in the already-involved companies, with our "expansion" for this game being, like, Nintendo getting the full treatment or the Atlus peeps being added to the SEGA umbrella or somethin

actually, I could make a PxZ3 roster one of these days. Might have to write that one down

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Please look at my profile pic for my answer.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So here's something to do. Make up a new Echo Fighter. But that Echo Fighter has to be from a different franchise to the Fighter they are Echoing.

Example:
Magnus from Kid Icarus Uprising.
Echo Fighter of Ike.
Has the following differences:
  • Up-Air is Cloud's Up Air.
  • Neutral B is the same as Ike's, but conjures up a tornado instead of a fire burst. At smaller charge, the tornado will be small and simply push away foes. At higher charge, the tornado will be bigger, pull in and damage foes at the centre. If at max charge, the tornado will damage any that is within range and will pull to the centre while damaging foes. This is a reference to the tornado the Magnus Club conjures up, but Magnus himself also uses the Tornado attack during his Chapter 24 fight in Kid Icarus Uprising.
  • Side-B is also like Ike's, but when the foe is hit, the player can press the B button to follow-up with a second strike that will launch the foe. This is a reference to the normal 2-hit melee combo used by Clubs in Kid Icarus Uprising.
  • Up-B is Shulk's Up-B.
  • In some attacks, the end of the sword deals more damage compared to the middle.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Out of curiosity, where do ya'all feel Lara Croft's chances are after Sephiroth?
It’s possible, double dipping on Square wouldn’t be a bad idea. But she has a decent amount of competition within Square like 2B & Crono. Despite how huge Lara is, I could see Nintendo/Sakurai leaning towards another Japanese character instead of her. She would be a great pick though.

Truth the Ceomasterz33

Smash Journeyman

Why trending Twitter?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
-I feel like with a Nintendo Vs. Capcom, too many of the characters on Nintendo's side will have already been playable in Smash and that there won't be alot of variety to really distinguish itself from Smash.
A little late to this conversation, but I don't really agree with this. At least as far as I'm concerned the very idea of having these characters envisioned in a completely different style of game excites me since so many of our obvious candidates have been untouched since 64. Seeing DK, Samus, Kirby get a fresh coat of paint is exciting in and of itself, but I imagine we'd also be getting a fair share of cool deep cuts like Capcom loves to do.

The character selection process for MVC differs a lot from Smash, I've been thinking a lot about this. While Smash usually goes for who's most prominent or important, MVC will often just go for who they like the most. Not a whole lot of avatar type characters in MVC either for example, except Monster Hunter - while in Smash it has become somewhat of the norm for applicable series. Sheer character and potential takes center stage instead of proper 'representation'.

But I digress, I'd be pretty much just as hyped to get Sega vs Capcom as I would Nintendo vs Capcom. Just see a lot of people say this, and I don't really agree since I feel the structure of the roster would be super different and the characters who would overlap would feel brand new.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Something KYM Trending Images and popular Twitter. Truth or Lie
basically you know that "Upgrade - **** GO BACK" meme

it's basically like this:

Smash: adds Shirtless Sephiroth
Me: clicks "Upgrade" button
Smash: adds that big boob vampire gf
Me: FRICK GO BACK

i see her everywhere and that's TOO much thirst for me thank you very much

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

The worst part? She's not even the hottest monster in RE.

Oh, that sweet Nemesis...

Truth the Ceomasterz33

Smash Journeyman

The worst part? She's not even the hottest monster in RE.

Oh, that sweet Nemesis...
Nobody chicken out away!

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I mean, pretty much every serious Pyramid Head appearance in Silent Hill content is much to the original creators chagrin, since Pyramid Head was intended for James only.
I wonder what that would mean for a potential Smash appearance. Do you think they would go with a protagonist due to that? Or is it fine as long as, within the Silent Hill series, he's specifically James' personal nightmare? Or would they mind, but Nintendo wouldn't care?

D

Deleted member

He's from a dead inactive series for decades. I wouldn't count on him.

But Ban-

The difference is Banjo had huge support and fan demand since Melee.
Yet consistently rated one of the best RPGs of all time. I'd count him out for a variety of other reasons, but counting him out because his franchise is dead is probably the worst reason to count out Crono.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Of course it's useful for marketing. Sex sells.
Your eyes were likely drawn to the word sex before you even read the rest of this post.

The first advertisements ever made were for prostitutes selling their wares by writing messages on their shoes and walking in sand and dirt and the Coca-Cola bottle was allegedly designed after Mae West's figure to push sales up.

VIllage has been talked about more than ever when the incredibly tall vampire woman and her daughters turned up.
For those not in to women, Chris' extra wide body has earned him some additional fans.

That said Nintendo has dabbled a bit with a few of it's characters but I don't think it'll ever be their most important aspect for selling their family friendly games, especially for Smash.

Bayonetta is likely to be the extent Smash does it as Sakurai's comments on Mai Shiranui seem to indicate that overtly sexual elements aren't likely to make it into Smash. We further see this in the removal of Tharja's trophy, and the edits made to Mythra's spirit picture to make her outfit more modest.

...that one backfired a bit for some as they claimed it was even sexier, but the intent was there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Your eyes were likely drawn to the word sex before you even read the rest of this post.

The first advertisements ever made were for prostitutes selling their wares by writing messages on their shoes and walking in sand and dirt and the Coca-Cola bottle was allegedly designed after Mae West's figure to push sales up.

VIllage has been talked about more than ever when the incredibly tall vampire woman and her daughters turned up.
For those not in to women, Chris' extra wide body has earned him some additional fans.

That said Nintendo has dabbled a bit with a few of it's characters but I don't think it'll ever be their most important aspect for selling their family friendly games, especially for Smash.

Bayonetta is likely to be the extent Smash does it as Sakurai's comments on Mai Shiranui seem to indicate that overtly sexual elements aren't likely to make it into Smash. We further see this in the removal of Tharja's trophy, and the edits made to Mythra's spirit picture to make her outfit more modest.

...that one backfired a bit for some as they claimed it was even sexier, but the intent was there.
Re: Bayonetta vs the others - at least Bayonetta’s mostly covered and her sexuality is expressed in a more tasteful way. Plus she can’t be pantyshotted like Mai or Mythra or Tharja can.

Truth the Ceomasterz33

Smash Journeyman

Re: Bayonetta vs the others - at least Bayonetta’s mostly covered and her sexuality is expressed in a more tasteful way. Plus she can’t be pantyshotted like Mai or Mythra or Tharja can.
What doing sexy vg!(throws knives on rope with candles) buzz away

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still think it’s suspicious that he’s the only one on the 7 Squares list that isn’t already in Smash in some form or has been mentioned by insiders (Sora).
I feel like he could be Mii’d. I don’t see him as playable, but not a mere Spirit, either. He doesn’t give “leakbait” vibes either

only thing is he’d probably need to appear with yet ANOTHER Square playable character

this is how Neku wins.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah and they're clearly fine with Isabelle having this done to her:
View attachment 300534
(albeit with no pain grunts)
(Bit late)

Isabelle mains when they have to face the stereotypical online Mac (who naturally spams Smash attacks).

So here's something to do. Make up a new Echo Fighter. But that Echo Fighter has to be from a different franchise to the Fighter they are Echoing.

Example:
Magnus from Kid Icarus Uprising.
Echo Fighter of Ike.
Has the following differences:
  • Up-Air is Cloud's Up Air.
  • Neutral B is the same as Ike's, but conjures up a tornado instead of a fire burst. At smaller charge, the tornado will be small and simply push away foes. At higher charge, the tornado will be bigger, pull in and damage foes at the centre. If at max charge, the tornado will damage any that is within range and will pull to the centre while damaging foes. This is a reference to the tornado the Magnus Club conjures up, but Magnus himself also uses the Tornado attack during his Chapter 24 fight in Kid Icarus Uprising.
  • Side-B is also like Ike's, but when the foe is hit, the player can press the B button to follow-up with a second strike that will launch the foe. This is a reference to the normal 2-hit melee combo used by Clubs in Kid Icarus Uprising.
  • Up-B is Shulk's Up-B.
  • In some attacks, the end of the sword deals more damage compared to the middle.
Lets try this then... hmm... Imma do a completely bonkers one:

Funky Kong: Echo of Mii Brawler.

* Has a variation of Exploding Side Kick as Neutral B, Suplex as Side B, Thrust Uppercut as Up B and his own variation of Feint Jump as Down B using his surfboard. He can't change direction during the down B unlike Brawler, but gains the ability to footstool with it a la Tropical Freeze.

* Since he's heavier, Funky has less jump height than Brawler - pretty decent to good horizontal jumps though. Mitigated a bit with Up B and Down B.

* Decently close to Brawler's damage output. He does a little more damage throughout the moveset at the cost of increased end lag, but the general intent is still there.

* The fully unique mechanic of his is the "Tricks Meter" - gained by dodging in timely manner, parrying or getting consecutive hits in (as a very loose reference to Mario Kart Wii). The meter drains slightly when hit, but not as much as the aformentioned fills. When the meter fills completely - which can be either via doing the above or getting the crowd to chant for you - Funky Mode activates, which speeds Funky up a la Accelerate while the effect lasts. The Meter drains a la Arsene and Funky Mode ends once it's completely drained out. Certain moves like Suplex and Exploding Side Kick can "cash out" Funky Mode - spending the entire meter for a more powerful and flashy finish.

I have a feeling Funky would potentially be busted if this was his general gameplan since Brawler's underrated-good, but I wanted to go crazy and invoke Mario Kart Wii into his moveset somehow, even if very loosely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom