• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Isaac has like, what three...maybe four unique moves he can use? And they all use that weird hand spell, which is LITERALLY a single spell from Golden Sun that has been given creative freedom to do as much as it does in Smash and nowhere NEAR represents him or the series as much as say Hero does with Dragon Quest.
That hand spell is not a single spell, but literally part of a whole bunch of spells. Force, Carry, Move, Lift, Pound, Catch, Scoop and Lash, with Dark Dawn adding Grip, Crush and Slap. So that hand having alot of moves is not because of creative freedom, but because the hand was part of a lot of spells from the game.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
An E3 reveal is only as big as its biggest element, not its smallest, so Palutena being kinda low-key doesn't really make that E3 a small reveal (I would argue customs were the big deal more than Pacman or the Miis). That said, I think there is a possibility that Smash was also planned to get less emphasis this year than past years anyway, it's in a less prominent position than it has been in what like, 5 years? So I could still see a more low-key "E3" reveal, just not because of Palu.

Relatedly, I wonder if it's possible Nintendo anticipated E3's cancellation this year long enough ago to pivot characters around (so we might not see the "E3" character in June or whatever). Agile development processes are supposed to be pretty flexible, but marketing and third party companies might make that harder? Thoughts?

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I would definitely be admitting that Isaac is one of the characters I wish to discuss if people would stop living in a fantasy world where an AT has more work put into it than a fighter.
There is literally only one user I've seen that's actively against assist trophies. Everyone else either doesn't care or has accepted that they might be possible.

That aside, Isaac is one of the most commonly discussed first parties so I don't know what nightmare world you're living in.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That hand spell is not a single spell, but literally part of a whole bunch of spells. Force, Carry, Move, Lift, Pound, Catch, Scoop and Lash, with Dark Dawn adding Grip, Crush and Slap. So that hand having alot of moves is not because of creative freedom, but because the hand was part of a lot of spells from the game.
Ahh, my lack of playing Golden Sun at all is showing. I misunderstood and though it was simple spell that had maybe one or two uses and that Sakurai and Co took creative liberty.

Turns out I was wrong, thanks for letting me know. Honestly, it makes Golden Sun sound that much more dope.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Fun fact: dunno if you knew this or not, but Sora's whole design is based off of Mickey Mouse.
The point was, what parts of KH's content would require licensing other Disney properties. And other than his keychain fob, no part of Sora's design is a non-KH Disney copyright. Disney doesn'y have a copyright on big round shoes.

They CAN censor out all Disney content, but why WOULD they?
Except it's not censorship to just...not choose the Disney items in the first place.

All the most important characters in KH are the KH original ones. All the most important places are the KH original ones. All the best songs are the KH original ones. Changing Sora's keychain is literally ALL it would take.

I'm not even someone that wants Sora in Smash, but this argument that KH doesn't work without the Disney stuff is dumb.

If Sora IS to one day be in Smash, I think he SHOULD have his Disney references, Donald, Goofy, and all.
And I don't, because they aren't video game character. So they should NEVER be in Smash.

But Sora is, so maybe he will be someday.

even Smash Flash 2, a fan game that has anime characters as part of its roster, has Sora's keychain and Final Smash as the only Disney references, instead focusing entirely on KH-original content. So yeah, it's pretty much doable.
Yeah...because SSF2 doesn't care about 4th party exclusions...and also doesn't pay for licensing.

WTF kind of argument is that? Of course it's doable when you don't have any rules or contracts to worry about.

The thing I'm most confused about is why does it seem that Kingdom Hearts fans are the ones who insist Sora come without Disney content? I understand how people indifferent towards the series might be purists who want to keep Smash clean from characters from non-gaming origins, but I would expect Sora fans to want him in the game with, or without Disney content.
I assume because they're also Smash fans. And no true Smash fan wants 4th party content in Smash.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
The point was, what parts of KH's content would require licensing other Disney properties. And other than his keychain fob, no part of Sora's design is a non-KH Disney copyright. Disney doesn'y have a copyright on big round shoes.

Except it's not censorship to just...not choose the Disney items in the first place.

All the most important characters in KH are the KH original ones. All the most important places are the KH original ones. All the best songs are the KH original ones. Changing Sora's keychain is literally ALL it would take.

I'm not even someone that wants Sora in Smash, but this argument that KH doesn't work without the Disney stuff is dumb.

And I don't, because they aren't video game character. So they should NEVER be in Smash.

But Sora is, so maybe he will be someday.

Yeah...because SSF2 doesn't care about 4th party exclusions...and also doesn't pay for licensing.

WTF kind of argument is that? Of course it's doable when you don't have any rules or contracts to worry about.

I assume because they're also Smash fans. And no true Smash fan wants 4th party content in Smash.
"no true smash fan". ah, gatekeeping.
why is 4th party content some sort of sin against the series if it's brought in as part of video game content? it's not like having, say, 3 disney spirits and maybe some cameos will cause some kinda apocalypse to blight the land.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"no true smash fan". ah, gatekeeping.
why is 4th party content some sort of sin against the series if it's brought in as part of video game content? it's not like having, say, 3 disney spirits and maybe some cameos will cause some kinda apocalypse to blight the land.
It's not really a "sin". However, it's been known for a while now that Smash is actually now treated officially(by Sakurai and Nintendo) as a game-character gaming crossover. So non-gaming 3rd parties is against that notion of design.

Calling it a sin is silly, though. It's just a game, yeesh. Sakurai doesn't care much about cameos, if it's just a non-game element from a gaming series. However, despite what KH is, the Disney content isn't just a game thing, it's a Western Animation thing being put into a game. I still expect the Mickey Mouse symbol on Sora's keyblade. Spirits/Cameos of any Disney animation characters don't scream weirdness to me, but it's not nearly the same as giving Terry an alt from the anime movies either way.

That said, the second people try to pull the "true Smash fan", they already aren't making a reasonable argument. They're true Smash fans because they're a fan of Smash. How people want Smash to play is completely fair. Besides, the whole point behind Smash is "play it your way" as is. Sakurai has his own personal beliefs, but he has a lot of respect for other beliefs. Remember that he didn't deny the idea of James Bond because he isn't from a game in itself. Licensing was a huge issue(and using a real life like-character is definitely a bigger deal than throwing a cartoony character in. Just look as Isabelle, who is very cartoony, or the even more obvious Toon Link).

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
Seeing the rather intense disconnect between the "Sora could work without Disney content" and "Sora needs Disney content" factions makes me increasingly unsurprised they haven't done it yet. You either disappoint people who think it's essential to KH and therefore KH's potential existence in Smash, or violate Smash's decades-long wall between video game characters and non-video game characters.

Meanwhile working with Square Enix for DLC seems to have been reasonably doable without even having to touch the issue of getting Big Mouse involved (:ulthero3::ultsephiroth:), so why open that can of worms when they had big name options that didn't have to?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Two things:
-People have been starting to look at Smash Bros. as a celebration of gaming and not just a Nintendo crossover. Combined with Sakurai wanting to focus on video game characters and not characters from non-video game sources, like Goku or Iron Man, and you have people very resilient to non-video game characters.
-People want to see their favourite video game characters. What with people hoping for characters from games like Ninja Gaiden, Tales of, Doom, Crash Bandicoot, etc. And 4th Party characters getting in makes the chance of their favourite character getting in less likely. Especially because no one knows when and what the next Smash Bros. will be like.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Seeing the rather intense disconnect between the "Sora could work without Disney content" and "Sora needs Disney content" factions makes me increasingly unsurprised they haven't done it yet. You either disappoint people who think it's essential to KH and therefore KH's potential existence in Smash, or violate Smash's decades-long wall between video game characters and non-video game characters.

Meanwhile working with Square Enix for DLC seems to have been reasonably doable without even having to touch the issue of getting Big Mouse involved (:ulthero3::ultsephiroth:), so why open that can of worms when they had big name options that didn't have to?
I'm pretty sure that the people who say Disney is absolutely essential aren't fans or even know much about the series considering I've never seen KH fans dismiss all the original content in game, so I wouldn't call it a disconnect

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
No one is a lock but I think Crash Bandicoot just has more going for him than against him.
If im honest i he is not FP9 i don't think he will be in. Crash is the kind of guy you put as the centerpiece, and Sephiroth being the VGA reveal makes me doubt that he will be in at this point.

He has great merits but the circumstances make me doubtful.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Some people think Sans or Shovel Knight and even The Knight from HK deserve it more than her what makes you think she has a better chance?
Well for one thing, unlike the rest of them, she's not actually an indie character, even though people keep treating her like she is. She's from a now long running franchise from an established game developer.

What does the Newcomer Thread think about an original Smash character being playable?
Physically ill. Like, worse than Piranha Plant or another FE character.

:ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner: more or less qualify. Miis are preexisting of course but the Smash interpretations of them are original and use the Smash series icon.
Let's be real here though. Miis may have started as a way of adding CAC to Smash. But at this point, they mainly exist as a cheap, easy method to get other games into Smash.

ah, gatekeeping.
Yes. Proudly. As 4th party content is literally the only gate that Sakurai himself stands atop with a vat of boiling oil.

FFS people, 4th party is not an actual term
Everything is a term if people use it. That's how language works.

Last edited:
I'm really late on this, but I wanted to throw my hat into the budget conversation, since I've learned a lot from my dad on how budgets for big companies can work.

A lot of the time there's a question of how much money can be earned/saved. That seems obvious, but sometimes a company that is big enough will expand or shrink their budget to accommodate for said earnings. Sometimes a big project or product will have a huge estimate for projected earnings and the company will allow for more money to be spent than they originally intended. Other times there may be an item that fits in their normal budget, or even is cheaper than they thought, that is denied because it isn't projected to do enough in the long run. Others will do well over time, but will take a long time to make the money and are often discarded because the company wants to get that money back more quickly. The latter example is less likely for Smash, as the bulk of sales are going to be immediate, but it is a factor that goes into budget decisions.

Obviously there's more to it: marketing and brand recognition seem to be big parts of Smash's decisions, and the size of a company can have a big impact on the amount of flexibility in a budget. Nintendo's large, though, so it would make sense for them to go quite deep into their pockets if they think they can get the money back.

Last edited:

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
Two things:
-People have been starting to look at Smash Bros. as a celebration of gaming and not just a Nintendo crossover. Combined with Sakurai wanting to focus on video game characters and not characters from non-video game sources, like Goku or Iron Man, and you have people very resilient to non-video game characters.
-People want to see their favourite video game characters. What with people hoping for characters from games like Ninja Gaiden, Tales of, Doom, Crash Bandicoot, etc. And 4th Party characters getting in makes the chance of their favourite character getting in less likely. Especially because no one knows when and what the next Smash Bros. will be like.
yeah, i get that. but this isn't paul blart being a fighter, it's just a handful of characters heavily part of a game series but technically 4th party getting a minor appearance. this isn't gonna start some slippery slope.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
FFS people, 4th party is not an actual term
FP9 isn't either(it's CP9), but you still know clearly what people mean.

Words vary depending the community. Most already know that 4th party literally means non-game third party in this context.

I consistently use the words correctly, but it doesn't really matter anyway. The important part is "do you know what they mean? Yes. Then it doesn't matter." It's like talking about Digimon and using Digivolution and Evolution constantly. Want to know the difference? None. They mean the same exact thing. The only changes are how different the full terminology is in a translation for many cases. Like Ultimate Evolution actually is Mega Digivolution due to Ultimate and Mega being different terms in Japan for the same level. And that's, let's just say, harder for people to know consistently than 4th party right now. There's more examples with Digimon's translations.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm trying to think of a reason why it should have a different button combo for those kind of moves. Isn't that part of what is usually the point of Down B? Up B is generally a Recovery move, Neutral B is often a projectile or some kind of hard-focus move(like Falcon Punch or Giant Punch would be), Side B is quite often a Rush or Self Launch move. Down B is Utility. It seems more of a design philosophy here. Not saying they can't work otherwise, but changing it just because shouldn't be a thing. One should look at what works well for a Side B in those cases. Cape and Doctor's Cape work great for that. As did the Whip Chain that Sheik used to use. Sometimes it works fine for projectiles if it's a "holding right" kind of thing with Zelse(or if it's a Smash-based move with the Boomerangs and Missiles). It can vary.

That said, it's been done, so do you have any examples of ones that fit well otherwise for Side B? :) I could see Falco's Reflector fitting that well... if you replaced Phantasm entirely.
I don't think it should be a change just because, either, but it would be a good way to spice those moves and make them less same-y.

For example, I think Phoenix Wright's "Objection" would work great with side B, because that flows far better with the motion and in fact was exactly how its directional input was done in MvC.

For preexisting ones, more often than not the issue here is the existence of other specials rather than the counter itself "not fitting" other buttons, as you said. The Star Fox crew is a good example, but Sephiroth is another one - it's not that Scintilla doesn't work as a side special, it's just that you would have to think of what to do with Shadow Flare.

The argument had literally nothing to do with licensing, though.

It's more along the lines of... even the game that doesn't worry about 4th parties and pays no licensing fees shows that it's possible to represent Sora without any Disney content.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If im honest i he is not FP9 i don't think he will be in. Crash is the kind of guy you put as the centerpiece, and Sephiroth being the VGA reveal makes me doubt that he will be in at this point.

He has great merits but the circumstances make me doubtful.
I'm thinking Challenger Pack 10 is more likely for him because that would be in time for E3 and Fighter Pass 2 would take that into account since the roster was decided back in November 2019.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Yes. Proudly. As 4th party content is literally the only gate that Sakurai himself stands atop with a vat of boiling oil.
I have to agree. I have been ridiculously stubborn regarding character choices like Reimu, Sakura, Doomguy and others. But i would take all of them over the idea of a single Non-gaming character in Smash. It's the ONE thing Smash should never attempt, Floodgaters be damned (see i can make funny insults too) I believe Smash should still be about mostly Nintendo, but i can accept Third Parties in the condition that they are well.............VG characters. They help expand and allow the fans of the crossed franchises interact and can be a showcase that Nintendo's userbase is willing to play Non-Nintendo games (you know..........when the companies actually release them)

People should realize that Franchises are better with certain limitations, to be everything and appeal to everyone is to appeal to no one and be nothing. It's why i always had a certain disdain for the idea of the "Gaming History" approach a lot of Floogaters want Smash to follow due to it being too broad of a concept, but at least it IS a concept with a specific theme: Gaming. With Smash having characters of all medium, it would become a hot-podge of nothingness, and would be interesed in nothing but added random pop culture icons because i don't know, they appear in Lunchboxes or something.

But i think we are safe from them, as you said Sakurai has specifically stated that Non-gaming characters are out of the question, and i hope it stays that way forever.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
Well for one thing, unlike the rest of them, she's not actually an indie character, even though people keep treating her like she is. She's from a now long running franchise from an established game developer.

Physically ill. Like, worse than Piranha Plant or another FE character.

Let's be real here though. Miis may have started as a way of adding CAC to Smash. But at this point, they mainly exist as a cheap, easy method to get other games into Smash.

age means nothing - wayforward is still a small independent company, which is the basic definition of indie, and shantae's is an indie series, just an old one. plus, the fact that other indie games treat it as such constantly.

and you hate piranha plant because?

one does not preclude the other.

and i think you're exaggerating there - rember, sakurai didn't show any opposition to james bond for his 4th party origin, just for the difficulty to get and make him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm pretty sure that the people who say Disney is absolutely essential aren't fans or even know much about the series considering I've never seen KH fans dismiss all the original content in game, so I wouldn't call it a disconnect
I think part of the problem is that Disney outright owns the Kingdom Hearts original characters, if the copyright at the start of the KH games is any indication.

(note that the only thing that's listed as being copyrighted by Square-Enix is the Final Fantasy games - anything that's not specifically mentioned, including the original characters, is copyrighted by Disney)

So even if they don't use Disney characters like Mickey, Donald, or Goofy, Disney still has to get involved regardless. That can be concerning for a variety of reasons, such as content being delisted after a certain amount of time like what happened with plenty of Marvel games or the Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur 4. If I wanted to play as Darth Vader on the Xbox 360 version of Soul Calibur 4, or download Marvel vs. Capcom 2 legally, that's not possible any more, and there's a good chance that Sora would run into the same problems eventually if he got in.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
and i think you're exaggerating there - rember, sakurai didn't show any opposition to james bond for his 4th party origin, just for the difficulty to get and make him
Tbf that's probably why he's made it a hard rule since, he realized just how ****ing convoluted that would be with the rights, he's never expressed that desire since and has said "Nah it ain't happening" multiple times since.
I think part of the problem is that Disney outright owns the Kingdom Hearts original characters, if the copyright at the start of the KH games is any indication.

So even if they don't use Disney characters like Mickey, Donald, or Goofy, Disney still has to get involved regardless. (which can be concerning for a variety of reasons, such as content being delisted after a certain amount of time like what happened with plenty of Marvel games or the Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur 4)
They'd still need to license Mickey, Goofy and Donald to use them, which is where people are hung up on here.

Why would you say that when Sora himself is an example of delisted DLC from World of Final Fantasy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I honestly wasn't aware of that; I guess that would have worked a lot better as an example.
Yeah, what's weirder is that he was the only character in the entire game to be completely mute iirc, you'd think SE coming up with KH and doing all the work to build up the fanbase would mean Disney would give them more leeway, especially with KH's FF association

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
Yeah, what's weirder is that he was the only character in the entire game to be completely mute iirc, you'd think SE coming up with KH and doing all the work to build up the fanbase would mean Disney would give them more leeway, especially with KH's FF association
of course, if disney tries that with smash, they'd likely burn a major bridge or two, and probably get a huge amount of backlash.
granted, not sure that they'd care.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
age means nothing - wayforward is still a small independent company
They're really not. Some of their games are developed by teams of 50+ people. Which is more than some first party developers use on some games. They've developed over 100 games at this point, for themselves, for other companies, for huge licensed properties like Spongebob, DuckTales, Marvel, DC, etc.

They're about as "indie" at this point as Capcom. But people insist on still trying to label them as "indie" because they want to think of them as some scrappy underdog, but they're not.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Idk, Disney's smashed graves of multiple children and currently own 40% of the film industry. I'm not too sure they'd care
Yeah Disney is way way bigger than Nintendo. Crying smash fans would be a drop in the ocean for them. That said, 2020 was likely not a great year for them so I doubt they’d be looking to burn any bridges...getting content in Smash is pretty much free money.

He knows what he did.

Serious answer: This.
I like Plant :(

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What I tell y'all. They don't call Disney evil for nothing.

The Roman Empire of companies. One day they shall collapse as they grow bigger when those start rebelling against them.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
What does the Newcomer Thread think about an original Smash character being playable?
I'm actually not sure how I'd feel. Back in the day, I really wanted to unlock Tabuu. I thought he was super cool. During Smash 4 speculation, I played with the idea of Primid or Sandbag being playable. I think Sandbag would make for a pretty great surprise in the same vain as Wii Fit and Plant. Primid would be straight up lame. Overall, I'm probably less opposed than most people, considering Melee and Brawl were both childhood games for me. There are still plenty of characters that I'd want to see before an original Smash character, but finally getting to take control of Tabuu would make the kid inside of me very happy.

Also, playing as Master Hand in WoL was the highlight of Ultimate's single-player for me, so a mode that let's you take control of Master Hand and fight against friends should definitely happen. I've been waiting quite anxiously for that. But that's probably as far as they need to go in terms of making Smash original characters playable. They have bigger fish to fry before they should worry about adding Primid.
I like Plant :(
I feel like I should hate Plant because "it took Toad's spot," or "it took Waluigi's spot." Really though, I love Plant. Being surprised is always fun for me. On top of that, its animations are some of my favorite in the entire game. Plant feels like no other character in Smash, and I love it.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
No, they're not. Some of their games are developed by teams of 50+ people. Which is more than some first party developers use on some games. They've developed over 100 games at this point, for themselves, for other companies, for huge licensed properties like Spongebob, DuckTales, Marvel, DC, etc.

They're about as "indie" at this point as Capcom. But people insist on still trying to label them as "indie" because they want to think of them as some scrappy underdog, but they're not.
1st: not sure which wayforward games those are, 2nd: 50+ is pretty common across the industry, 3rd: yes, oooh-aah, licensed games, not like companies that big have shifted them on to absolute nobodies.

there are not labeled indie to like them better or whatever you're claiming, they're called indie because they are.

also... neither of you have actually provided a reason to hate plant.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What I tell y'all. They don't call Disney evil for nothing.

The Roman Empire of companies. One day they shall collapse as they grow bigger when those start rebelling against them.
Nah Disney is going to get so big that they'll start buying governments. Everything will eventually belong to Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom