• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Man even when talking about BotW you sure love moving goalposts, your last post was 'BotW did not shake up the formula' and now it's 'the changes were not good imo'. Will the next post be about how BotW shouldn't be considered a Switch game or something? I don't really care about this argument but please learn to actually debate instead of moving goalposts hoping the other side loses interest so you can claim you won teh epic internetz
LOL I love getting lectured about how to properly debate when you apparently can't even read. I never said that "BotW didn't shake up the formula". It certainly did, just not in a way that I would consider to be better and I gave lots of evidence for my reasoning. That is how you debate, FYI. You make an assertion, then present evidence. Not put words in people's mouths and then condescend about your misconception. If anyone is moving goalposts, it's you.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly, here is the issue with the community and asking for Zelda reps.

We aren't unified enough.

Think about it. Let's look at every Zelda character added through the series and the reasons for the inclusions.

:link64: - Added as the main character of the Legend of Zelda (Bit of a required inclusion)

:sheikmelee: - Popular request and part of the main gimmick for Zelda

:zeldamelee: - Added as a bit of an "unexpected" character (Sakurai's words) and one that's incredibly important to the franchise

:younglinkmelee: - Last minute clone

:ganondorfmelee: - One of the most popular character requests / Last minute clone

:toonlink: - Popular request / Last Minute Clone

Well, notice any patterns? None of the Zelda characters primarily got in through popularity. We got several popular characters but they usually had either Sakurai wanting to experiment or being a good candidate for a last minute clone to thank for their inclusion.

Unfortunately, it seems that even though lost of good characters exist like Skull Kid, Midna and Impa (there are more, but you get the point), Nintendo and/or Sakurai don't really prioritize Zelda characters. It seems to be the sad truth. Maybe they think five or six characters are enough. Maybe they think Zelda should be expanded in other content (like the large amount of stages and items). Adding more Zelda characters into Smash just doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

So well, are we just destined to just never get a new Zelda character? Well no, there are ways to motivate Sakurai and Nintendo into picking Zelda characters.

We gotta do it through raw popularity. We gotta turn a Zelda character into the new K.Rool/Ridley. We gotta make them so popular that Nintendo / Sakurai will see adding them as a benefitial move. Alright, doesn't sound too hard, but there's a problem.

Who do you rally behind?

In the above examples, Ridley was the clear frontrunner among Metroid newcomers and K.Rool only had Dixie Kong to compete with (and won). When you look at Zelda characters you get... Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim, Impa and several other characters getting a decent amount of requests but overall its just a large group of somewhat popular characters.

If the fanbase were to choose one or two as a frontrunner and push, PUSH, PUSH them into the mainstream Smash spotlight, I think we may have a chance.

Everyone seems to want a Zelda newcomer, but its always been an issue of who. So, I have to ask.

Who should be our frontrunners?
I'm more of a Midna guy myself, but if the community needs to join forces and back one candidate, I think it should be Skull Kid. He's the one that came the closest to being one of the most demanded newcomers, I'd say.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Existed, but were not equal. Simon had vastly more support than the others till he got in. Hayabusa has way more support now. After him, someone else will become the new frontrunner.
And how do you rationalize Dante, Sora, Phoenix, Isaac, Shantae, KOS-MOS and Master Chief all concurrently having had popularity despite being created within a year of each other? Or Crash, Geno, Dixie, Rayman and Bandana Dee, who were also all created within a year of each other? By your logic there's some metaphysical turnstile that prohibits an era from having more than one popular request at a time, let alone a single year, presumably.

For all the evidence this is you could say that Simon's inclusion kickstarted Dante's popularity, who very suspiciously only got popular after Simon was already in. They're unrelated. Hayabusa has gained popularity thanks to a myriad of fake leaks, the continuing relationship between Nintendo and KT, and the dwindling pool of active contenders.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
LOL I love getting lectured about how to properly debate when you apparently can't even read. I never said that "BotW didn't shake up the formula". It certainly did, just not in a way that I would consider to be better and I gave lots of evidence for my reasoning. That is how you debate, FYI. You make an assertion, then present evidence. Not put words in people's mouths and then condescend about your misconception. If anyone is moving goalposts, it's you.
So what you're saying is that this quote
how was Breath of the Wild such a major change to the franchise?
About the first game in a franchise to use a different control scheme and shake up the formula in decades doesn't count as you saying it doesn't shake it up while the rest of that post acted like it barely changed anything? And when corrected you act like it doesn't actually matter because you didn't like it? Ok then. That says all I need to know

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
With the way the Contra series is going right now, I think Nintendo would probably play it safe and pick someone who's safer like Raiden from MGS2/MGRR or Alucard from C:SotN.
1609916248354.png
yeesh

Anyway, while they're both NES children, I think KT's got a few more talking points along with Ryu.
-KT has a close connection with Nintendo, outright developing several of their games,
-The action game series is still pretty popular (and it's got a rumored rerelease)
-Ryu Hayabusa makes plenty of crossovers within his own company in Dead or Alive, Warriors spinoffs, and NioH (his ancestors but that's splitting hairs)

Honestly, it's kinda hard to tell if it's sharp or not.
Eh, Smash fans will think it.
Yeah, he's got the Fireseal in his classic series, a wide rectangular blade wielded backhanded,
1609917656744.png
the Junkyard Dog mk3, a casing that goes over it and makes it way bigger, it has a blade only on the back end of it,
1609917718423.png
and currently the Outrate Mk2 which is even bigger than the previous sword, which we dunno much about, but it's clearly a blade, and it's probably associated with the fireseal somehow,
1609917846200.png

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
With the way the Contra series is going right now, I think Nintendo would probably play it safe and pick someone who's safer like Raiden from MGS2/MGRR or Alucard from C:SotN.
View attachment 298468
yeesh

Anyway, while they're both NES children, I think KT's got a few more talking points along with Ryu.
-KT has a close connection with Nintendo, outright developing several of their games,
-The action game series is still pretty popular (and it's got a rumored rerelease)
-Ryu Hayabusa makes plenty of crossovers within his own company in Dead or Alive, Warriors spinoffs, and NioH (his ancestors but that's splitting hairs)
Nah fam clearly this means the Contra rep will have an overheat mechanic meaning they can't shoot the gun too much, Rogue Corps is gonna be the face of the franchise from here on out!

In all seriousness I hate that people said the new Battletoads was the worst looking game that E3 when Rogue Corps had the audacity to exist

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nah fam clearly this means the Contra rep will have an overheat mechanic meaning they can't shoot the gun too much, Rogue Corps is gonna be the face of the franchise from here on out!

In all seriousness I hate that people said the new Battletoads was the worst looking game that E3 when Rogue Corps had the audacity to exist
Rash certainly looks better in the reboot than he does in Killer Instinct anyway.

The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't really seem like a fitting artstyle for the series.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Rash certainly looks better in the reboot than he does in Killer Instinct anyway.

The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't really seem like a fitting artstyle for the series.
I'm fine with either artstyle but KI makes him look like the Micheal Bay TMNT characters which is fitting for a TMNT parody/knockoff. The reboot even uses the newest TMNT Nick cartoon's aesthetic for the same reason

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm fine with either artstyle but KI makes him look like the Micheal Bay TMNT characters which is fitting for a TMNT parody/knockoff.
Ah so it was intentional. That's actually pretty funny then.

The reboot even uses the newest TMNT Nick cartoon's aesthetic for the same reason
Well I can respect that decision at least, but I think the game would have benefited from doing its own thing with the artstyle. Something just seems off about the end result.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And how do you rationalize Dante, Sora, Phoenix, Isaac, Shantae, KOS-MOS and Master Chief all concurrently having had popularity despite being created within a year of each other?
They aren't NES-era? The ritual only applies to NES-era.

We have a society of NES cultists. And it's understood that only by focusing our lifeforce on one character can we generate results. We lent Mega Man our energy. Then Simon. Now Hayabusa.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
BotW and AoC made me appreciate the various other species and races outside Hylians and Sheikah, so I'll probably continue to be a voice for characters like the Champions long after the BotW series.

Doubt they'll ever pick up popularity in the Smash fanbase though. If AoC couldn't get them more support, then I'm not sure there's much else that can be done. Still, Nintendo and Aounuma seem to value them, so that's got to count towards something.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Missed this earlier. I think we're done here.
Yep. You wasted a ton of time mansplaining to someone making a facetious argument.

Ah so it was intentional. That's actually pretty funny then.
Is it though?

"We intentionally made it bad!" is only funny until you realize you're still stuck with the bad thing.

Ask SFxTK players how much they enjoyed BBA Mega Man...

Rest In Peace Impa, dammit man.
Maybe she'll still be a Sheik Echo!

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Think about it. Let's look at every Zelda character added through the series and the reasons for the inclusions.

:link64: - Added as the main character of the Legend of Zelda (Bit of a required inclusion)

:zeldamelee: - Added as a bit of an "unexpected" character (Sakurai's words) and one that's incredibly important to the franchise

:ganondorfmelee: - One of the most popular character requests / Last minute clone

Well, notice any patterns? None of the Zelda characters primarily got in through popularity. We got several popular characters but they usually had either Sakurai wanting to experiment or being a good candidate for a last minute clone to thank for their inclusion.

Unfortunately, it seems that even though lost of good characters exist like Skull Kid, Midna and Impa (there are more, but you get the point), Nintendo and/or Sakurai don't really prioritize Zelda characters. It seems to be the sad truth. Maybe they think five or six characters are enough. Maybe they think Zelda should be expanded in other content (like the large amount of stages and items). Adding more Zelda characters into Smash just doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

So well, are we just destined to just never get a new Zelda character? Well no, there are ways to motivate Sakurai and Nintendo into picking Zelda characters.

We gotta do it through raw popularity. We gotta turn a Zelda character into the new K.Rool/Ridley. We gotta make them so popular that Nintendo / Sakurai will see adding them as a benefitial move. Alright, doesn't sound too hard, but there's a problem.

Who do you rally behind?

In the above examples, Ridley was the clear frontrunner among Metroid newcomers and K.Rool only had Dixie Kong to compete with (and won). When you look at Zelda characters you get... Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim, Impa and several other characters getting a decent amount of requests but overall its just a large group of somewhat popular characters.

If the fanbase were to choose one or two as a frontrunner and push, PUSH, PUSH them into the mainstream Smash spotlight, I think we may have a chance.

Everyone seems to want a Zelda newcomer, but its always been an issue of who. So, I have to ask.

AoC Impa is cute so she should be the #1 frontrunner :denzel:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Retrospectively, I feel like a clown for earnestly supporting Ghirahim back in the Smash 4 days. He never had a chance

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Retrospectively, I feel like a clown for earnestly supporting Ghirahim back in the Smash 4 days. He never had a chance
You'd feel like a clown supporting any Zelda rep in any era. They're not going to get new characters ever.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Are we really going this many games without a new Zelda rep? Who is so deathly allergic to adding in a character that isn't Link, Ganon or Zelda? Sigggghhh.
The oneshot thing is such bull**** anyway
If a character that is only relevant in one game gets in is because "rotating casts"
If a character that is only relevant in one game doesn't get in is because "oneshots"
One of the best examples of post-fact rationalizations in the smash fanbase
It's particularly bizarre when you remember that nearly half of the Mario roster is composed of supporting characters who got the bulk of their popularity via spinoffs (:ultdoc: :ultdaisy: :ultrosalina:) and a generic mook.

Anyone who knows Kingdom Hearts knows that this name is ing bull.
Kingdom Hearts: Destiny's Embrace

m8, do you even Nomura?
Name is fake because it sounds normal - a phrase that would make sense in a regular context. It needs to make less sense to stand up to Nomura's standards. :roll:

Who do you rally behind?

Hot take: Zelda is Nintendo's third biggest series, not some obscure one-off game. Fans shouldn't have to scream into the void for years just to get one new rep. If we haven't got one (especially considering the aforementioned Mario roster selection), there's something wrong with the selection process, not with the fans.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
talking about a PoR shillpick is funny because PoR might be one of the worst selling games to get a Smash fighter, and RD did even worse. Smash still featured both designs and prioritized it over games like FE7 and 8 that actually sold over a million. in a game full of video game all-stars Ike is benchwarmer supreme. even Dark Pit has better numbers.

just goes to show the importance of timing (ie it's everything) and the unimportance of sales in the very specific eras surrounding when Smash games are made

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just think the issue with Zelda is really more evoctative of the fact Sakurai and Nintendo aren't very interested in the majority of secondary/teritary characters as unique newcomers to begin with.

Like these are the only non-clone, non-protagonist (at least, at the time of their Smash inclusion) that have been made playable:

:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultsephiroth::ultpiranha::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultpalutena::ultrosalina:

Going by the above, they seem to mostly be highly important and reoccuring villains or female deuteragonists. The most minor character of the bunch is probably like, Piranha Plant, but that was more or less included as a gag character, and Sakurai justifies it by saying that it's more recognizable than main characters of lesser series.

The other ones like Ganondorf, Wolf, Falco, Dark Pit, etc are mostly clonish characters put in later in development, under the virtue that they wouldn't eat up as much development time as a full blown newcomer. The big reason someone like Wolf got into Brawl while Krystal didn't was because the former, in Sakurai's words, could at least be around 30% cloned off of Fox lol.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly? I feel like the best case scenario for a new Zelda rep at this point is Pig Ganon.

Feels like it'd make everyone happy. It'd abide by Sakurai's usual criteria for character selection (being a big reoccuring villain), and it'd sastify those wanting a unique Zelda character AND those wanting a more faithful moveset for Ganon, all while leaving the current Ganondorf as is for his fans to still enjoy.

The only real losers would be fans of the non-Triforce characters lol

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pig Ganon is easily one of my favorite choices for Smash. The ALTTP version is nowhere to be found, not even as a Spirit. And it's the most iconic design.

Impa would be nice too, but I'm one of the few who wants her Oracle design the most. Tingle is my otherwise main one I want. So three neat characters to add, each with their own unique abilities. :grin:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I just think the issue with Zelda is really more evoctative of the fact Sakurai and Nintendo aren't very interested in the majority of secondary/teritary characters as unique newcomers to begin with.

Like these are the only non-clone, non-protagonist (at least, at the time of their Smash inclusion) that have been made playable:

:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultsephiroth::ultpiranha::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultpalutena::ultrosalina:

Going by the above, they seem to mostly be highly important and reoccuring villains or female deuteragonists. The most minor character of the bunch is probably like, Piranha Plant, but that was more or less included as a gag character, and Sakurai justifies it by saying that it's more recognizable than main characters of lesser series.

The other ones like Ganondorf, Wolf, Falco, Dark Pit, etc are mostly clonish characters put in later in development, under the virtue that they wouldn't eat up as much development time as a full blown newcomer. The big reason someone like Wolf got into Brawl while Krystal didn't was because the former, in Sakurai's words, could at least be around 30% cloned off of Fox lol.
:ultisabelle::ultminmin:ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultduckhunt::ultdiddy::ultjigglypuff::ultpikachu:
Though half that list could be considered mascots
Honestly? I feel like the best case scenario for a new Zelda rep at this point is Pig Ganon.

Feels like it'd make everyone happy. It'd abide by Sakurai's usual criteria for character selection (being a big reoccuring villain), and it'd sastify those wanting a unique Zelda character AND those wanting a more faithful moveset for Ganon, all while leaving the current Ganondorf as is for his fans to still enjoy.

The only real losers would be fans of the non-Triforce characters lol
My top pick for a Zelda character has become a Lynel.
They are (to me) the most memorable enemy of BotW, and instilled the most fear.
They are a unique shape.
They've been in since the beginning.

This is also by a process of elimination, because I think more races that make Hyrule unique, should be in. Since we aren't likely to get multiple--- I decided Lynel makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Pig Ganon would be a godlike pick and I'd play him, but with the Ganon boss in the game right now, I don't see Pig Ganon happening until the next game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
:ultisabelle::ultminmin:ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultduckhunt::ultdiddy::ultjigglypuff::ultpikachu:
Though half that list could be considered mascots
Going throught that..

Isabelle is the mascot of Animal Crossing now, and she's also a semi-clone of Villager
For Min Min, they literally justified her as "everyone in ARMS is the main character"
Duck Hunt is the mascot and sole rep of...Duck Hunt. And technically the hunter, the actual player component of DH, is included in the overall moveset.
Diddy Kong had DKC2 and Diddy Kong Racing to his name prior to his inclusion in Smash

So that just leaves the Pokemon, which I feel like are mostly a completely different can of worms in comparison to the other franchises. The selection process for them is very different from everyone else.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Going throught that..

Isabelle is the mascot of Animal Crossing now, and she's also a semi-clone of Villager
For Min Min, they literally justified her as "everyone in ARMS is the main character"
Duck Hunt is the mascot and sole rep of...Duck Hunt. And technically the hunter, the actual player component of DH, is included in the overall moveset.
Diddy Kong had DKC2 and Diddy Kong Racing to his name prior to his inclusion in Smash

So that just leaves the Pokemon, which I feel like are mostly a completely different can of worms in comparison to the other franchises. The selection process for them is very different from everyone else.
You didnt initially say mascots. You said Protagonists and clones. I actually am the one who added in mascots to your list.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You didnt initially say mascots. You said Protagonists and clones. I actually am the one who added in mascots to your list.
Personally, I just kinda view "mascot" and "protagonist" as basically the same kind of thing. At least for guys like Duck Hunt or Wii Fit Trainer.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Personally, I just kinda view "mascot" and "protagonist" as basically the same kind of thing. At least for guys like Duck Hunt or Wii Fit Trainer.
But they are wildly different things.
In Duck Hunt the mascot is the antagonist.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Realistically there's going to be different rules/patterns for different series because franchises contrast in the prominence and nature of their various characters. Mario ends up with more fighters than Kirby because the former has various character led spin-offs and is obviously far more popular. DK has the same as Star Fox because the latter's were easy to implement regardless of which one is bigger in prominence or sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom