• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Which is a silly assumption. Like just before Sephiroth, people said 3rd party franchises couldn't get a 2nd unique non Echo rep yet it happened. The assumption that one off side characters can't get in is just a fan rule as if otherwise, Sakurai wouldn't even have considered Geno for Brawl.
It's not a rule and shouldn't be treated as such but if you are a one-shot character, that doesn't help your chances. If you're a one-shot character in a series with a predominantly static main cast, that is even more adverse. If you're a one-shot character that isn't even the lead in a series with a predominantly static main cast, that creates further adversity. If you're a one-shot non-lead spin-off character in a series with a static main cast, add more adversity still.

And if you're a one-shot non-lead spin-off third-party-owned character in a series with an otherwise fairly static main cast, you're lucky when you end up being a costume.

But no, it's not a rule.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's not a rule and shouldn't be treated as such but if you are a one-shot character, that doesn't help your chances. If you're a one-shot character in a series with a predominantly static main cast, that is even more adverse. If you're a one-shot character that isn't even the lead in a series with a predominantly static main cast, that creates further adversity. If you're a one-shot non-lead spin-off character in a series with a static main cast, add more adversity still.

And if you're a one-shot non-lead spin-off third-party-owned character in a series with an otherwise fairly static main cast, you're lucky when you end up being a costume.

But no, it's not a rule.
I said fan rule not a official rule.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I’ve checked out the choices in the rtc thread and tbh seeing monster hunter rated so high feels annoying

yeah I get it’s big and there’s rise

but idk how I feel about it since there’s music tracks in the other catagory and I don’t really think they could just remove the 2 tracks and just sell it again with this rise hunter it just Dosent feel right and arms didn’t even have tracks in the other category I don’t think it should be rated that high from some that I’ve seen

and somehow it’s like you’ve went from Dante being rated high to this being rated high

I feel like rathalos boss it’s own spot in wok and the other stuff seem good enough how mh is handled and imo rise would just get a Promotional spirit event like trials of mana dxm paper Mario swsh and now aoc(big oof)

apologizes if I’m sounding like Rileyxy1 right now

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Soo, do you believe about the newly discovered "Warriors Theory" that basically shown that Koei-Tecmo has been rallying in Warriors/Musou content recently to the Switch?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’ve checked out the choices in the rtc thread and tbh seeing monster hunter rated so high feels annoying

but idk how I feel about it since there’s music tracks in the other catagory and I don’t really think they could just remove the 2 tracks and just sell it again with this rise hunter it just Dosent feel right and arms didn’t even have tracks in the other category I don’t think it should be rated that high from some that I’ve seen

and somehow it’s like you’ve went from Dante being rated high to this being rated high

I feel like rathalos boss it’s own spot in wok and the other stuff seem good enough how mh is handled and imo rise would just get a Promotional spirit event like trials of mana dxm paper Mario swsh and now aoc(big oof)

I don't think MonHun is too likely either, but what does it matter that it has 2 songs? Even if they added a character and a stage, they obviously wouldn't remove the songs from the games of people who don't buy them. They'd just stay in the Other category for those people, and maybe even remain in it for those who buy it as well. It's a workable issue.
Soo, do you believe about the newly discovered "Warriors Theory" that basically shown that Koei-Tecmo has been rallying in Warriors/Musou content recently to the Switch?
Not really

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like you're the only one who believes in this theory.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
...the character would come with new tracks and the ones in the misc category would just be moved over into the new MH category...

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I feel like you're the only one who believes in this theory.
That's why I want to convince everyone, isn't that obvious, I mean the evidence is basically in front of your face so it's technically not and even if the Sigma Trilogy is confirmed to exist they haven't made an announcement on when it will be available let alone advertising it?

I mean I know I'm in the minority because everyone is on Hayabusa side but trust me, don't call me a paranoid for doing that.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace

Why would they even do that? We literally just had Sephiroth adding to two songs in a series.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

One thing that Smash Bros. fans and speculation will never grow out of is the thinking of "New Game = Instant Character" It does have some precedent like with Byleth and Greninja but that is not the only criteria, It never hurts to theorize or talk about it though. In fact I encourage it. It is a vicious cycle.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I don't think MonHun is too likely either, but what does it matter that it has 2 songs? Even if they added a character and a stage, they obviously wouldn't remove the songs from the games of people who don't buy them. They'd just stay in the Other category for those people, and maybe even remain in it for those who buy it as well. It's a workable issue.
Modifying content that is already in the game is way too complex, they can only keep adding since their main programmer was a Zelda fan who ragequit upon seeing Ultimate's roster and took all the knowledge with him. Anyway how is everyone else enjoying Cloud's new final smash?

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Why would they even do that? We literally just had Sephiroth adding to two songs in a series.
That’s because those 2 tracks weren’t in the other catagory they were in the ffvii catatgory and it was easy to add in more songs while mh is just in the other catagory

I just think Y’all rating it’s chances too much

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Bruh, importing music file to a new file isn't that hard, other than removing the feature for every miscellaneous stages and only for MH Stage and Smash original stage.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh hey here's a fake leak for us to laugh at
Path of Radiance remake
Ike is the Fire Emblem shillpick of FP2

pog
Anyone who knows Kingdom Hearts knows that this name is ****ing bull****.
Kingdom Hearts: Destiny's Embrace

m8, do you even Nomura?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Finally got a chance to see the AoC Spirit event. It's not a good sign for Impa and Kohga, but I don't understand the logic people are using when they say this was the nail in the coffin for a potential BotW2 rep.

There's a decent chance none of the stuff in this event will even be relevant to BotW2. Why would young Impa, Egg Guardian, and other AoC characters be thrown in with a bundle that revolves around a completely different game? They're from the same universe, but that's about it.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This year is very likely that Nintendo will release a Splatoon title, probably a spin-off, maybe they can ask Sakurai to add Octoling?

its true that for this year they are planning pokemon and fire emblem remakes, but they (supposedly) have also plans for new Metroid, Donkey Kong and Mario Sports titles, though I don’t think they will pick fighters from that games.

There are also rumours that next Monolith Soft title is releasing next FY 2021-22, probably by early 2022, so I don’t know if the timing is correct to add a character to smash.
I don't think so as I don't expect an Echo to be added in the Fighter Pass.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, here is the issue with the community and asking for Zelda reps.

We aren't unified enough.

Think about it. Let's look at every Zelda character added through the series and the reasons for the inclusions.

:link64: - Added as the main character of the Legend of Zelda (Bit of a required inclusion)

:sheikmelee: - Popular request and part of the main gimmick for Zelda

:zeldamelee: - Added as a bit of an "unexpected" character (Sakurai's words) and one that's incredibly important to the franchise

:younglinkmelee: - Last minute clone

:ganondorfmelee: - One of the most popular character requests / Last minute clone

:toonlink: - Popular request / Last Minute Clone

Well, notice any patterns? None of the Zelda characters primarily got in through popularity. We got several popular characters but they usually had either Sakurai wanting to experiment or being a good candidate for a last minute clone to thank for their inclusion.

Unfortunately, it seems that even though lost of good characters exist like Skull Kid, Midna and Impa (there are more, but you get the point), Nintendo and/or Sakurai don't really prioritize Zelda characters. It seems to be the sad truth. Maybe they think five or six characters are enough. Maybe they think Zelda should be expanded in other content (like the large amount of stages and items). Adding more Zelda characters into Smash just doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

So well, are we just destined to just never get a new Zelda character? Well no, there are ways to motivate Sakurai and Nintendo into picking Zelda characters.

We gotta do it through raw popularity. We gotta turn a Zelda character into the new K.Rool/Ridley. We gotta make them so popular that Nintendo / Sakurai will see adding them as a benefitial move. Alright, doesn't sound too hard, but there's a problem.

Who do you rally behind?

In the above examples, Ridley was the clear frontrunner among Metroid newcomers and K.Rool only had Dixie Kong to compete with (and won). When you look at Zelda characters you get... Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim, Impa and several other characters getting a decent amount of requests but overall its just a large group of somewhat popular characters.

If the fanbase were to choose one or two as a frontrunner and push, PUSH, PUSH them into the mainstream Smash spotlight, I think we may have a chance.

Everyone seems to want a Zelda newcomer, but its always been an issue of who. So, I have to ask.

Who should be our frontrunners?

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
While I agree that Geno really doesn't compare to Sephiroth with regards to general notoriety, I think there was a lot more at play here with regards to the character choice considering the sizeable demand for Geno and the fact that he was given a Mii costume in the first place while other choices like Chrono, 2B and every other FF game are completely non-existent. To say Geno was the 30th best option is to flagrantly disregard the recognition he was able to garner despite being a 20+ year old side character from a 3rd party Mario spinoff.

We really don't have any idea how much or how little it takes to get third party characters into Smash so I would greatly appreciate it if people would stop pretending to be omniscient and simply acknowledge the fact that they don't really have a clue. Obviously, Nintendo didn't care enough about someone like Geno to prioritize him over Sephiroth, and that's totally understandable. I have to say, if anyone had to kill Geno, I honestly hoped it would be Sephiroth. That said, I won't pretend to know all of Nintendo's intentions, but their own actions have demonstrated that the reluctance to explore Mario's extended universe of characters is very real.

Also, sidebar, how was Breath of the Wild such a major change to the franchise? Pretty much every Zelda ever has included an open world sandbox to explore. Granted, BotW has a more seamless world structure, but it's still basically just a big enclosed sandbox. The only things it did differently is add breakable weapons, sub-par dungeons (if that's what you want to call them) and scrap the whole kill-bosses-for-special-items-to-progress mechanic. If that's revolutionary, I don't see it as a step up. Good game, but heavily overrated. Also, Age of Calamity is fun and all, but it's pretty much identical to the original hyrule warriors but with a reskinned aesthetic and map system with a different set of characters. So edgy. The story is OK, but like any prequel, it can't really change the source material in any meaningful way. Not sure it counts as Nintendo getting out of their comfort zone.
1. if you think age of calamity and hyrule warriors play similarly you arent familiar with either game. those two are vastly different form each other. and AOC isnt actually a prequel. its not quit that simple.

2. we do know that it can take years for smash negotiations to take place and be finalized. work on ultimate started back when smash 4 was still receiving DLC. the base roster alone in smash ultimate would need plenty of time to negociate with all the companies involved.

3. breathe of the wild was a huge departure from most of Zelda's formula: bosses for items, making the entire world a dungeon, breaking weapons,the ability to skip most of the story, and much much more. heck of risk and incredible execution. breathe of the wild is clearly an exceptional game that other good games are building on its formula which is really where it is going to solidify its place moving forward.

also, dont really think there was sizable demand for geno. there was HERE but no he's not anything close to some others. and yes i'd stand by the fact he'd hover around 30 on SE list of character alone. unlike someone like ridley, he didn't even maintain consistent support for an entire smash generation. he's only mentioned because he's some player's here nostalgia bait RPG. nostalgia alone doesn't get you an invite. nor should it. mii cotumes are just a small bone for fans honestly if you were gonna pick between geno being a mii costume and being an AT or present on a stage i dont even think most people pick mii costume.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That’s because those 2 tracks weren’t in the other catagory they were in the ffvii catatgory and it was easy to add in more songs while mh is just in the other catagory

I just think Y’all rating it’s chances too much
Your conclusion is fair, but the music thing is really a non-issue. They either decide to remove the songs from all of the Other stages since it doesn't really fit any of them anyway, or-more likely imo-they decide to leave them in both the Other and the Monster Hunter tracklists so that no-one is missing content.

I mean, I can pretty easily picture Sakurai right now: "So you might be wondering about the 2 Monster Hunter songs already in the game. They were put in the "Other" track lists, allowing them to be played on a lot of the game's stages. We thought about removing them from this list but...that's just so many stages you wouldn't be able to play them on anymore right? So we decided to let them stay in the track selection for these stages while also adding them to their rightful place in the new Monster Hunter tracklist."

I don't think so as I don't expect an Echo to be added in the Fighter Pass.
They wouldn't have to be a clone, in fact if they believed the character to be good enough for DLC then they would 100% be a semi-clone at the very least. Heck, they could even use the Octolings's territorial nature to justify changing how their ink mechanic works so it's more in line with how it actually works in Splatoon. Alongside a bunch of weapons that the Inkling doesn't have of course.

Well, I don't have much of a horse in the race, but I will say that there is unfortunately an incorrect answer in Vaati; It'd just be a repeat of Geno.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the topic of one-shot characters, it kinda varies between series.

Some games have static, regularly recurring casts. Take, for instance, Mario. Almost every game has the hero Mario, his brother Luigi, Princess Peach in trouble, Bowser as the villain, Bowser Jr. helping out his father, etc. Another example is Kirby; We got Kirby saving the day, and he's usually backed up by hispals Meta Knight and King Dedede. In these cases, one-off characters are usually disadvantaged, as most series are

Other games have a rotating cast without a regularly recurring set of heroes and villains, though some characters do pop up between the different settings. Fire Emblem is a good example of this, as almost every game introduces a new setting, usually having minimal connections to past games (If at all). There's a similar case with Pokemon, where a new set of the titular creatures every generation. In this case, oftentimes the most viable candidates are oneshots. Hck, for Xenoblade the only options available were oneshots.

Zelda occupies a bit of a middle group. The games tend to introduce new settings and reboot the cast, but the main characters are usually different incarnations of the same character. As a result, recurring characters are valued because even though the settings are different, most of the time it's still got Link, Zelda, and Ganon(dorf). There's also the fact that the three recurring characters can just be updated to match up with the recent installment, so the devs can just do that instead of making an entire new fighter from scratch. At least, that's what I assume the thought process is.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, here is the issue with the community and asking for Zelda reps.

We aren't unified enough.

Think about it. Let's look at every Zelda character added through the series and the reasons for the inclusions.

:link64: - Added as the main character of the Legend of Zelda (Bit of a required inclusion)

:sheikmelee: - Popular request and part of the main gimmick for Zelda

:zeldamelee: - Added as a bit of an "unexpected" character (Sakurai's words) and one that's incredibly important to the franchise

:younglinkmelee: - Last minute clone

:ganondorfmelee: - One of the most popular character requests / Last minute clone

:toonlink: - Popular request / Last Minute Clone

Well, notice any patterns? None of the Zelda characters primarily got in through popularity. We got several popular characters but they usually had either Sakurai wanting to experiment or being a good candidate for a last minute clone to thank for their inclusion.

Unfortunately, it seems that even though lost of good characters exist like Skull Kid, Midna and Impa (there are more, but you get the point), Nintendo and/or Sakurai don't really prioritize Zelda characters. It seems to be the sad truth. Maybe they think five or six characters are enough. Maybe they think Zelda should be expanded in other content (like the large amount of stages and items). Adding more Zelda characters into Smash just doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

So well, are we just destined to just never get a new Zelda character? Well no, there are ways to motivate Sakurai and Nintendo into picking Zelda characters.

We gotta do it through raw popularity. We gotta turn a Zelda character into the new K.Rool/Ridley. We gotta make them so popular that Nintendo / Sakurai will see adding them as a benefitial move. Alright, doesn't sound too hard, but there's a problem.

Who do you rally behind?

In the above examples, Ridley was the clear frontrunner among Metroid newcomers and K.Rool only had Dixie Kong to compete with (and won). When you look at Zelda characters you get... Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim, Impa and several other characters getting a decent amount of requests but overall its just a large group of somewhat popular characters.

If the fanbase were to choose one or two as a frontrunner and push, PUSH, PUSH them into the mainstream Smash spotlight, I think we may have a chance.

Everyone seems to want a Zelda newcomer, but its always been an issue of who. So, I have to ask.

I agree this is the way to get the character in, because it's really the only method that works from our position.

However, this doesn't seem like something that can feasibly get off the ground until Ultimate ends, as (almost) all the major players are accounted for already, and thus will face diminished expectations.

But when it does seem more possible, as to who to go with, I'd say Skull Kid (the popular choice) or Impa (the prevalent choice). Those seem like the best bets, and the easiest to rally people around. But it will be a challenge to unify people behind any one character regardless, because Zelda has a lot of interesting options.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But when it does seem more possible, as to who to go with, I'd say Skull Kid (the popular choice) or Impa (the prevalent choice). Those seem like the best bets, and the easiest to rally people around. But it will be a challenge to unify people behind any one character regardless, because Zelda has a lot of interesting options.
I'm not sure who you'd be more likely to convince Nintendo on either. Skull Kid is irrelevant, and Impa is inconsistent. You'll have to fight harder to get them to add Skull Kid, and you'll have to pray that the most relevant incarnation of Impa isn't a shriveled old lady again. Or that they don't just make her an Echo Fighter of Sheik and leave it at that. That's also a possibility.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Skull Kid is my top pick for a Zelda newcomer, followed by Midna, and...
The Zelda character I always wanted was Tingle. But everyone including Nintendo hates him sooooo I guess I’d take Ganon.
I’d also like Tingle.

also, dont really think there was sizable demand for geno. there was HERE but no he's not anything close to some others. and yes i'd stand by the fact he'd hover around 30 on SE list of character alone. unlike someone like ridley, he didn't even maintain consistent support for an entire smash generation. he's only mentioned because he's some player's here nostalgia bait RPG. nostalgia alone doesn't get you an invite. nor should it. mii cotumes are just a small bone for fans honestly if you were gonna pick between geno being a mii costume and being an AT or present on a stage i dont even think most people pick mii costume.
Sakurai himself said Geno is very popular, and support exists for him outside this site, yet you think the demand for him was just a small pond here? The fact he got anything at all should be enough proof he had decent demand at the least :S Yeah not like some other characters like you said (though some SMRPG/Geno and Geno in Smash stuff gets similar numbers so idk), but still...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure who you'd be more likely to convince Nintendo on either. Skull Kid is irrelevant, and Impa is inconsistent. You'll have to fight harder to get them to add Skull Kid, and you'll have to pray that the most relevant incarnation of Impa isn't a shriveled old lady again. Or that they don't just make her an Echo Fighter of Sheik and leave it at that. That's also a possibility.
Maybe Zelda fans should stop being cowards and root for elderly Impa.:drshrug:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So I want to ask a question that has been bothering me for quite some time. Why doesn't Contra get a lot of attention in speculation?
GREAT ****ING QUESTION!

Answer: Because Smash speculation only supports one NES icon at a time. It used to be Simon. Now it's Hayabusa. And once Hayabusa gets in it'll become either Bill Rizer or Arthur.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Oh hey here's a fake leak for us to laugh at
Path of Radiance remake
Ike is the Fire Emblem shillpick of FP2

pog
Dude, i love reading stuff like this. Especially when it's so obvious that its fa...

* sees Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition *

...I WANT TO BELIEVE!!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I was watching some Guilty Gear: Accent Core footage, and I think I've found a character that would make Smash players implode: Zappa. Kneejerk reactions aside, this character's got it all:

Confusing looking mechanics? Check.
Comeback mechanic? Check.
Really annoying looking projectiles? Check, and he has so much worse than that.

He could probably be the worst character in the game and most people would still hate him with a burning, fiery passion.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So I was watching some Guilty Gear: Accent Core footage, and I think I've found a character that would make Smash players implode: Zappa. Kneejerk reactions aside, this character's got it all:

He could probably be the worst character in the game and most people would still hate him with a burning, fiery passion.
That's cool and all but does he at least bring a good chunk of GG songs? If so, worth it, 8 spirits Zappa is the kind of dumb **** we need

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
GREAT ****ING QUESTION!

Answer: Because Smash speculation only supports one NES icon at a time. It used to be Simon. Now it's Hayabusa. And once Hayabusa gets in it'll become either Bill Rizer or Arthur.
Or it won't be any of them because character popularity isn't cycled out based on their system. Ryu support didn't just start when Simon got in, they existed concurrently since Brawl.

But you'll notice that those more popular series such as Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden had a much more prolific post NES-era (and SNES-era) life than the suggestions listed which you don't see often like Contra and Ghosts N Goblins. Almost like the volume of demand correlates more to duration of success than era of conception.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
1. if you think age of calamity and hyrule warriors play similarly you arent familiar with either game. those two are vastly different form each other. and AOC isnt actually a prequel. its not quit that simple.
LOL I played the crap out of the first hyrule warriors (150 hours) and I'm about 3/4 the way through AOC. If you honestly think those two games are vastly different than I think you aren't anywhere near as familiar with those games as I am. Feel free to disagree, but that doesn't make you right.

2. we do know that it can take years for smash negotiations to take place and be finalized. work on ultimate started back when smash 4 was still receiving DLC. the base roster alone in smash ultimate would need plenty of time to negociate with all the companies involved.
SOME characters have taken years to negotiate but that doesn't necessarily apply to all, nor does it indicate the difficulty of acquiring the rights. SNK, for example, pretty much threw their IP in Sakurai's lap at the drop of a hat. Again, no one knows enough about the intricacies of the process to make any definitive claims over what it would have taken to get the likes of Geno (or any other third party) into Smash.

3. breathe of the wild was a huge departure from most of Zelda's formula: bosses for items, making the entire world a dungeon, breaking weapons,the ability to skip most of the story, and much much more. heck of risk and incredible execution. breathe of the wild is clearly an exceptional game that other good games are building on its formula which is really where it is going to solidify its place moving forward.
Different doesn't automatically = better. As I mentioned in some of my previous posts, the things you laud as BotW's "innovations", I see more as hindrances. I understand that our views on this matter are totally subjective, but I still contend that if you were to rip "The Legend of Zelda" from the title and make Link some generic elf boy and changed virtually nothing else, the general review ratings would drop at least 2 points. Too often, I feel people overrate games simply because it has a big franchise name slapped on it. Just look at Immortals Fenyx Rising. You can tell how hard they tried to emulate BotW down to the cell shading, puzzles and open world, yet failed miserably. The most ironic part is that the weaknesses that the critics jab at are exactly the same that BotW has, but BotW gets a pass cuz Zelda. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game and has a lot of things going for it, but c'mon, it was not the ultimate Zelda masterpiece that fans worship it for. Compare it to any other AAA fantasy open world game and you'll see its nothing overly spectacular. Then again, we seem to have a huge difference of opinion so maybe you won't. Doesn't really matter anyway. Think what you want. I know I will.

If you want to stay willfully ignorant of Geno's support at large, so be it. You grossly underestimate the support he had simply because you're obviously bias against him, but that's OK. That's your prerogative and Geno didn't make it so regardless of any support he did or didn't have, it ended up being moot anyway. Funny though that you'd dismiss the fact that Ridley being a first party character gave him a massive leg up on Geno. Not to mention the fact that even though a mii costume is a meager offering, it's still more than, again, what Chrono, 2B and pretty much any other SE IP besides Dragon Quest got so that certainly counts for something. Apparently, #30 on SE's list somehow get prioritized for representation while the others didn't. How strange. Regardless, all of this is pretty off topic so I suggest we move on.

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
However, this doesn't seem like something that can feasibly get off the ground until Ultimate ends, as (almost) all the major players are accounted for already, and thus will face diminished expectations.
Of course, any surge of demand happening now won't affect Ultimate.

I was referring to the past game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
LOL I played the crap out of the first hyrule warriors (150 hours) and I'm about 3/4 the way through AOC. If you honestly think those two games are vastly different than I think you aren't anywhere near as familiar with those games as I am. Feel free to disagree, but that doesn't make you right.

SOME characters have taken years to negotiate but that doesn't necessarily apply to all, nor does it indicate the difficulty of acquiring the rights. SNK, for example, pretty much threw their IP in Sakurai's lap at the drop of a hat. Again, no one knows enough about the intricacies of the process to make any definitive claims over what it would have taken to get the likes of Geno (or any other third party) into Smash.

Different doesn't automatically = better. As I mentioned in some of my previous posts, the things you laud as BotW's "innovations", I see more as hindrances. I understand that our views on this matter are totally subjective, but I still contend that if you were to rip "The Legend of Zelda" from the title and make Link some generic elf boy and changed virtually nothing else, the general review ratings would drop at least 2 points. Too often, I feel people overrate games simply because it has a big franchise name slapped on it. Just look at Immortals Fenyx Rising. You can tell how hard they tried to emulate BotW down to the cell shading, puzzles and open world, yet failed miserably. The most ironic part is that the weaknesses that the critics jab at are exactly the same that BotW has, but BotW gets a pass cuz Zelda. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game and has a lot of things going for it, but c'mon, it was not the ultimate Zelda masterpiece that fans worship it for. Compare it to any other AAA fantasy open world game and you'll see its nothing overly spectacular. Then again, we seem to have a huge difference of opinion so maybe you won't. Doesn't really matter anyway. Think what you want. I know I will.

If you want to stay willfully ignorant of Geno's support at large, so be it. You grossly underestimate the support he had simply because you're obviously bias against him, but that's OK. That's your prerogative and Geno didn't make it so regardless of any support he did or didn't have, it ended up being moot anyway. Funny though that you'd dismiss the fact that Ridley being a first party character gave him a massive leg up on Geno. Not to mention the fact that even though a mii costume is a meager offering, it's still more than, again, what Chrono, 2B and pretty much any other SE IP besides Dragon Quest got so that certainly counts for something. Apparently, #30 on SE's list somehow get prioritized for representation while the others didn't. How strange. Regardless, all of this is pretty off topic so I suggest we move on.
Man even when talking about BotW you sure love moving goalposts, your last post was 'BotW did not shake up the formula' and now it's 'the changes were not good imo'. Will the next post be about how BotW shouldn't be considered a Switch game or something? I don't really care about this argument but please learn to actually debate instead of moving goalposts hoping the other side loses interest so you can claim you won teh epic internetz

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Or it won't be any of them because character popularity isn't cycled out based on their system. Ryu support didn't just start when Simon got in, they existed concurrently since Brawl.
Existed, but were not equal. Simon had vastly more support than the others till he got in. Hayabusa has way more support now. After him, someone else will become the new frontrunner.

But you'll notice that those more popular series had a much more prolific post NES-era (and SNES-era) life than the suggestions listed which you don't see often. Almost like the volume of demand correlates more to duration of success than era of conception.
Nope. I'm the trendsetter. Support goes where my focus does.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Smash players hate every character with a burning passion unless they are a super heavy, Star Fox character or Captain Falcon, that's not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom