• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We have plenty of icons not on the roster. I understand shes massive and important, but what makes her dominate the speculation scene as of late? When I question her being “special”, I question it speculation wise, not legacy or presence or whatever you seem to think I’m doubting. She, like many, has legacy and importance in spades. I just don’t see why she specifically is so huge, compared to the others talked about.
What makes her dominate the conversation as of late is people over-investing in leaks and patterns.

What makes her a very plausible candidate nonetheless is being basically as much a face of Street Fighter as Ryu is.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yes, but what does she have makes her the frontrunner? I don’t hate her, she could actually be really cool. But I see her talked about so much after Sephiroth, and I don’t get what makes her so special.
Remember earlier today when people mentioned Sephiroth was pretty much the front of the line or one of those at the front of the line in terms of Square Enix characters, regardless of being from a pre-existing series in Smash? Chun-Li is the same for Capcom, she's the #2 highest one behind Ryu, whenever Capcom has a major crossover, it's ALWAYS those two, Ryu and Chun-Li, that are at the top of the roster. Their the only ones with perfect attendance in the MVC series, they've appeared together in TvC, SNK vs Capcom, Project X Zone, too many crossovers to count. You have a major Capcom crossover, those two are there.

Smash Bros is the only major crossover with Ryu but not Chun-Li. The only one. It's just been really really weird for the past five years to have the Superman of Capcom present but not the Wonder Woman of Capcom in this game. Her absence sticks out like a sore thumb. The same way Sephiroth follows Cloud everywhere, Chun-Li follows Ryu everywhere. That's why she's the frontrunner. As soon as her biggest obstacle was destroyed, that being "no unique secondary 3rd Parties" by Sephiroth, the last major reason for exclusion was gone.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sephiroth alone justifies considering a well-known 2nd character from an already present third party. Everything after that is just "Well, I feel/don't feel that Chun-Li deserves a spot!". I don't care for doubledipping from a series at all, but the Pass picks don't particularly care for me either.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Look when Jackie Chan cosplays as you in a movie, I think it's fair to say you've hit the big time.

View attachment 298061
When you get a music video made by Nicki Minaj themed after you that gets 150 million views, I think it's fair to say you've hit the big time.

Nicki Minaj's “Chun-Li” Climbs to Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 - XXL

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What does Chun Li have going for her? I don’t understand the hype.
It's the one-two punch of Sephiroth opening the door to non-protagonists and already-represented characters (Min Min doesn't count, ARMS has an ensemble cast) and the 5chan leak supposedly showing various negotiations that didn't go through, including Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri (Why there was two Tales reps at once is up to interpretation). There's also her status as the leading lady of fighting games and the last of the Street Fighter trifecta, but the leaks are what really pushed her to dominance in the speculative scene.

To be honest I feel like her chances are kinda overrated. Every time a new fighter does a first, it doesn't continue the pattern. We predicted Switch-era third parties after Min Min like Rex and a Gen 8 Pokemon, but instead we got Steve. We predicted popular recent releases like Jonesy after Steve, but instead we got Sephiroth. At this point, the most solid pattern is that each character breaks a different pattern. At the very least, if we're getting Chun-Li I doubt she'd be CP9.

There's also the fact that according to the negotiations rumor, Chun-Li was dropped in favor of Ken. If you buy into that one, I feel like they filled their Street Fighter quota already. Besides, I feel like it might be a bit soon to start handing out a third rep to a third-party when only a handful of them even have a second.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
No, I don't think Ace Attorney is low on the totem poll, I just don't think it's high either. My basis for comparison in the first place was that the series are treated above their station, not that they're of the lowest rank intra-company-wise.

I suppose I find Phoenix Wright a little likelier than KOS-MOS, but I still don't find him all that likely. Especially with characters like Chun-Li looking more plausible now.
Ah that makes a bit more sense. I definitely agree that he’s not likely. I thought he was really likely back in the Smash 4 days, but then things started changing heavily third party wise lmao

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes, finally Megatron gets his rematch with Snake and Simon and Bomberman.

Holy moly, that baseball dude next to Bomberman gave me flashbacks to an old Wii game I had growing up:

Until now I thought it was a one-off game -- we also had EA Playground next to it on our shelf, and I always found myself equating the two. After looking it up, today I learned that (1) MLB Power Pros was made by Konami, and (2) Power Pros is a long-running franchise in Japan, with this being the franchise's debut in the US. Huh, the things you learn from Smash speculation and Smashboards ****posting.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Chun-Li is a Very Plausible Pick, Very Possible pick, and has all the merits to get in

But Personally, I think she's 99.99% not happening, and only because I think there are other characters at play that have more of a shot than her, there are only 3 slots left

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Chun-Li is definitely iconic enough to get in through her own merits, but I also think Nintendo is looking at more than just the character.

Even though FF already had a character on the roster, the amount of content it had was pretty pathetic. Sephiroth brought with him a decent amount of FF tracks and Spirits that we should've had in the first place; he didn't exactly feel like, "just another FF character". So yeah, I do think the lack of FF content played a large part in Nintendo wanting Sephiroth; it probably made a much larger difference than people think. Street Fighter on the other hand doesn't feel the same. It's been treated fairly well, so adding another character with more tracks and Spirits doesn't feel nearly as impactful.

That's just me though. Personally, I think it'd make more sense to choose MH or a franchise that isn't represented at all than to triple-dip with SF.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
there's definitely a gap in street fighter stuff that chun-li could fill, mostly post sf2
That's just me though. Personally, I think it'd make more sense to choose MH or a franchise that isn't represented at all than to triple-dip with SF.
i think mh is more pausible since they clearly made an attempt at it on the base roster but both mh and chun li are technically going to be dipping into already represented series. dmc would actually be the new guy on town.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I do wish existing content could get expanded or updated more often. Not Sephiroth pack tier, mind. Just stuff like more DLC Mii Fighter costumes coming with a music track, consistent Spirit Events. You could update Luigi's Mansion to include a LM3 easter egg, or update a character's alts to reference a new title. I'd even settle for updating existing Mii Fighter costumes to account for favorite colours. Consider Dunban's palette swaps from XB for instance. That'd be a huge boon to anyone who enjoys making Mii Fighters like myself.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Chun-Li wouldn’t be my first choice for another SF character, mainly because as of now I’m on a kick of wanting more iconic villains, which SF certainly has, but I think she would make the most sense.

I’m not sure how much desire there would be to add a SF character though, because like Cosmic77 mentioned FF7 was severely lacking in content while SF isn’t. That said we could get music from games outside of SFII namely SFIII which would be pretty dope.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Seeing as we're in that lull between fighters, I've taken it upon myself to make a character thread for a popular character that has long since missed its shot of ever appearing in Smash, Garchomp.

Feel free to check it out.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also something I noticed that I want to comment on

I keep seeing this talk about this "Trend" where people keep talking about characters that might have shared attibutes to the character revealed before, and expecting them to be next, so people expecting Another First party after Min-Min, or People expecting Jonsey after Steve, and people using that to perhaps make the discussion around Characters like Eggman and Chun-Li less serious

I don't think it's that Simple though

Even after ARMS, not to many First Parties were taken that seriously, except Pokemon and Xenoblade, and honestly Pokemon and Xenoblade were expected choices in the first place. Even then I still saw many predictions were for 3rd party characters. Pokemon did get alot relevant in Speculation after that Pokemon Trial thing, but that really didn't do much with Min-Min

As for Steve, Predictions were still the same pretty much as well. Jonsey only blew up in Specualtion with that No Comment thing, and we took that No Comment thing because of Travis. Travis honestly had more of an effect on Speculation than Steve, and Steve was a Mii Costume

The Only thing Min-Min and Steve did was make the possibility of some character stronger (Xenoblade, Pokemon, Fortnite, Big 3rd parties and 1st parties in general) and make some suggestions less plausible (Master Chief), but I don't think they were the reason certain characters blew up in Speculation.

The reason characters like Pokemon, Xenoblade, and Jonsey blew up were for other factors

And the same thing is true After Sephiroth. People are now taking the prospects of Chun-Li and Eggman more seriously, and Chun-Li especially with that Leak. But I go on youtube and I still see most of the same predictions I've seen since Pass 2 was speculated on, and even on here.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Seeing as we're in that lull between fighters, I've taken it upon myself to make a character thread for a popular character that has long since missed its shot of ever appearing in Smash, Garchomp.

Feel free to check it out.
Surprised this hasn't happened yet, unless you count the idea of Cynthia using Garchomp.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also something I noticed that I want to comment on

I keep seeing this talk about this "Trend" where people keep talking about characters that might have shared attibutes to the character revealed before, and expecting them to be next, so people expecting Another First party after Min-Min, or People expecting Jonsey after Steve, and people using that to perhaps make the discussion around Characters like Eggman and Chun-Li less serious

I don't think it's that Simple though

Even after ARMS, not to many First Parties were taken that seriously, except Pokemon and Xenoblade, and honestly Pokemon and Xenoblade were expected choices in the first place. Even then I still saw many predictions were for 3rd party characters. Pokemon did get alot relevant in Speculation after that Pokemon Trial thing, but that really didn't do much with Min-Min

As for Steve, Predictions were still the same pretty much as well. Jonsey only blew up in Specualtion with that No Comment thing, and we took that No Comment thing because of Travis. Travis honestly had more of an effect on Speculation than Steve, and Steve was a Mii Costume

The Only thing Min-Min and Steve did was make the possibility of some character stronger (Xenoblade, Pokemon, Fortnite, Big 3rd parties and 1st parties in general) and make some suggestions less plausible (Master Chief), but I don't think they were the reason certain characters blew up in Speculation.

The reason characters like Pokemon, Xenoblade, and Jonsey blew up were for other factors

And the same thing is true After Sephiroth. People are now taking the prospects of Chun-Li and Eggman more seriously, and Chun-Li especially with that Leak. But I go on youtube and I still see most of the same predictions I've seen since Pass 2 was speculated on, and even on here.
The problem also arises with people who conflate the repercussions of characters who don't change perspective much, like, for example, Steve, with those who will, like Sephiroth.

Sephiroth has kicked off the reality of secondary unique characters in third-party series, not just for a little, but in perpetuity. The door isn't going to close now, and the applicable characters will stay a bigger part of the discussion than they were pre-Sephiroth. They won't always be the central focus, but they will remain part of the discourse. He did what other characters like Richter and Cloud and Ryu and Snake (among others) did beforehand, pioneer a new type of inclusion and shift the perspective of what seems possible going forward.

Steve didn't really do that. Most of what Steve brought, from a new component perspective, was already established a year earlier with Banjo. So after his inclusion, the landscape didn't look that different. Steve's biggest effect was probably reaffirming the presence of third-parties as DLC, though it was only a few people that thought their regularity was set to diminish anyway.

Not all characters are equally seminal in terms of ushering in a new outlook. As far as Ultimate's DLC goes, Sephiroth will probably be the most formative; further opening the gates for existing third-party series. Though Banjo and Joker are probably worth mentioning as well.
And I guess Piranha Plant too, even though, despite the inclusion, no one seems to expect more mooks.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guile makes for an easy AT due to him being a two-move wonder and having an iconically simple playstyle.
On top of that, in terms of playable characters Guile is fairly low on the totem pole. Realistically, we'd probably get Chun-Li, M. Bison and Zangief before Guile is an option.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think we're getting Zangief, considering Incineroar stole most of his moveset. :p
Incineroar does not crush a man's head between thighs like sparrow's egg.

Still has moveset potential.

For real though, Zangief has enough unique stuff like specific throws, the green hand, the head butt and command normals that he'd work.

Really the only move you are forced to copy is the Lariat, because Zangief without the Lariat is not Zangief.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Incineroar does not crush a man's head between thighs like sparrow's egg.

Still has moveset potential.

For real though, Zangief has enough unique stuff like specific throws, the green hand, the head butt and command normals that he'd work.

Really the only move you are forced to copy is the Lariat, because Zangief without the Lariat is not Zangief.
Nah Swamp, Zangief's Lariat would clearly be a reference to Crash Bandicoot like Incineroar's Darkest Lariat!

Still can't believe someone genuinely thought that when Sakurai himself said it was referencing Zangief

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nah Swamp, Zangief's Lariat would clearly be a reference to Crash Bandicoot like Incineroar's Darkest Lariat!

Still can't believe someone genuinely thought that when Sakurai himself said it was referencing Zangief
My boy Zangief beat Crash by about five years.

I think.

I'm too lazy to look up the exact dates.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
While I expect Chun-Li and Bison more, I'd be down with Zangief. Especially if he has best color swap "Chedda Gief" to go with him.
View attachment 298071
I could see Mech Zangief as a potential alt as well. Honestly would be an alright way to rep Marvel vs. Capcom somehow without using any Marvel characters. I'd still prefer them to use Amingo for that instead, but this could do honestly. I'd do everything for those MvC2 songs...
zangief-flame.gif

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While Nintendo does go for fairly popular characters with the DLC, it could be that they've concluded that Nook just doesn't offer that much novelty as a fighter, especially if a lot of potential ideas for him have been done between the Villager and Isabelle. Its easy to think of them as considering only hype and name recognition for that but it wouldn't surprise me if there were numerous would be fighters they couldn't find an interesting/satisfying moveset for and thus didn't go with.
Well... they could always give Tom Nook moves that are similar to Tanooki Mario from Super Mario Bros. 3. He could get in the base game of the next Smash game.

Maybe Tom Nook could swing his tail to flip opponents and return projectiles like Mario’s Cape move (Side Special).

Maybe Tom Nook could float like Peach by swinging his tail. It would be like using the Super Leaf item.

Maybe Tom Nook could turn into a Gyroid (Down Special). It is similar to Tanooki Mario turning into a statue. Animal Crossing characters have a special move that involves a Gyroid.

The other special moves are similar to Villager and Isabelle. Tom Nook could pocket and throw items and projectiles (Neutral Special) and float away with balloons (Up Special).

Tom Nook’s Final Smash could be “Dream Shop” where he along with Timmy and Tommy build the Nook’s Cranny store around the opponents.

Oh, yeah! Animal Crossing could use one more Assist Trophy.

Celeste - Makes wishes and then shooting stars fall on the stage. Fighters can pick up and throw star fragments.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, am gonna be frank here.

As far as I remember I've only said "the character is not an if, but a when" for three characters.

Inkling
Isabelle
Steve

To toot my own horn, they're all in.

I'll go out and include Monster Hunter and Waluigi on my list of characters I'm sure will make it to Smash eventually, just maybe not now.

Tom Nook is ALMOST there. I feel like if Animal Crossing keeps getting bigger and bigger, he'll be included eventually but... I'm concerned that Animal Crossing may face a Zelda situation, where it receives lots of new content, but that doesn't necessarily translate to new characters.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I want you guys to imagine a slice of bread from "I Am Bread" getting revealed as the next fighter in Smash with some stupid tagline like "Bread butters up!". How would you react to this?
"We're paying $5.99 for this crap? Whatever I'm buying it anyway."
- Me, in a timeline where this happens.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want you guys to imagine a slice of bread from "I Am Bread" getting revealed as the next fighter in Smash with some stupid tagline like "Bread butters up!". How would you react to this?
One of the few "joke" characters that would actually make me laugh.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
The only other character that comes to mind who really isn't within the top tier of candidates for their company, but still gets discussed basically as if they were (now that Geno is gone) is Phoenix Wright. At least he has some fanbase popularity. KOS-MOS' is lacking.
I know that Capcom has some of the fiercest competition for a spot, but I never thought I would see Phoenix grouped with Geno and KOS-MOS.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
The only other character that comes to mind who really isn't within the top tier of candidates for their company, but still gets discussed basically as if they were (now that Geno is gone) is Phoenix Wright. At least he has some fanbase popularity. KOS-MOS' is lacking.
Speaking of Phoenix, I felt like his popularity were shared or inherited to Professor Layton because of the crossover game. Kinda odd since Yo-kai Watch, as a LEVEL-5 game, is far more big and popular outside but inside Smash it's kinda the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom