• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
its 2021, you know what that means! Monster Hunter year!
Can we please not post content from a known white supremacist in this thread? Thank you.

(I know it's not exactly his channel being linked here, but still)
Oh please...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because this is newcomer speculation for a ****ing video game and that kind of discussion isn't necessary here?
And conversely, people should feel comfortable here. And posting content from a person known for pushing vitriolic alt right conspiracy theories is counterintuitive to that.

People feeling comfortable here is far more important than people wanting to pretend these things don't matter.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because this is newcomer speculation for a ****ing video game and that kind of discussion isn't necessary here?
This. It was a silly reaction video. Pointing out irrelevant stuff to it just lead to a very pointless drama-based debate here.

It has zero relevance to the actual discussion at hand. Instead, we could be actually discussing newcomers instead of derailing the topic with useless drama that has zero effect on any newcomer possibly getting in.

Not everything is worth taking a stance on. Nobody is promoting the video or the user with a silly reaction post. There's a point when it's taking things too far for the sake of taking a stance. This is clearly one of those cases.

---------------

Now, what was the proper subject again? I forget what the last cool thing we talked about.

I don't have a horse in the race with Monster Hunter. I think it's possible, but if the leaks are true, I'm guessing it isn't going to happen and we're just getting the costumes back. I always considered the whole MVC thing to be a rumor, but it does sound plausible. The team has different views from Capcom Co LTD., and that makes sense.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
This is probably fake, but have this been discussed here?

Tantan - MinMin
Pickel - Steve
Edge - Sephiroth
Bedlam - Some people are associating this word with "Chaos", so probably Shadow, other people think is Dante
Sorrow - No one really knows
Dorako - "Dragon Girl". so it could be Chun-Li (She's from China)
I mean, there's no reason to be so sneaky with datamining, so yeah, looks very fake. Interesting, nonetheless.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
And conversely, people should feel comfortable here. And posting content from a person known for pushing vitriolic alt right conspiracy theories is counterintuitive to that.

People feeling comfortable here is far more important than people wanting to pretend these things don't matter.
Fair enough, but there's a time and place for everything. I just don't think it was necessary to bring up Jon's..."interesting" views when, One: the clip posted isn't even from his channel and doesn't benefit him directly, and Two: it was just a silly reaction post.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I mean, there's no reason to be so sneaky with datamining, so yeah, looks very fake. Interesting, nonetheless.
I go by the philosophy of "everything from 4 chan is fake"

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have an interesting topic.

Considering Banjo & Kazooie and Terry, do you think Nintendo will be willing to take a chance on more obscure characters like Klonoa or any other character in this pass? I don't know I just wanted to ask this because Klonoa would be kind of cool.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I think it has, because when it came to the codename Sorrow, I know somebody brought up this guy:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Phoenix, I felt like his popularity were shared or inherited to Professor Layton because of the crossover game. Kinda odd since Yo-kai Watch, as a LEVEL-5 game, is far more big and popular outside but inside Smash it's kinda the opposite.
The crossover game certainly plays a part, but I think the two franchises have had a big overlap in audience even before the crossover game. At least for me, I got into Ace Attorney first, and then when I went looking for similar games on the DS, I found Professor Layton. I'm sure there are others who got into Ace Attorney by looking for similar games to Professor Layton too.

Phoenix and Layton are the puzzle/mystery game kings when it comes to the DS era -- there are certainly other good games too, like Hotel Dusk, 999, Time Hollow, or Ghost Trick (btw play Ghost Trick it's also on iOS), but AA & PL are the biggest franchises for sure. So I think it's natural that they'd have more shared popularity than something like Yo-kai Watch.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Considering Banjo & Kazooie and Terry, do you think Nintendo will be willing to take a chance on more obscure characters like Klonoa or any other character in this pass? I don't know I just wanted to ask this because Klonoa would be kind of cool.
Sadly, I really don't see Klonoa happening. His fan support isn't that big and I really don't see Nintendo pushing for him. Right now I feel like the best we can hope for the little dude is that the Encore trademark isn't a nothing burger.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

Pretty sure that if this was actually information derived from datamining the game other people would have spoken about it other than just some rando on 4chan.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So something that has occurred to me lately, is that all newcomers hail from the same few companies.

Snake, Simon, Richter* - Konami
Megaman, Ryu, Ken* - Capcom
Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker - Sega
Cloud, Hero, Sephiroth, - Square
Banjo, Steve - Microsoft
Pacman - Namco
Terry - SNK

Before Terry was introduced, only characters from the same 6 companies were chosen, a trend that continued after Terry as well. I think a large part to why Terry was chosen in the first place was to be a rep for a company that didn't already have a playable fighter in the game, and I think the next DLC is going to fit that slot as well

So I'm wondering who would be an appropriate fighter from a company not already in the game? I think Ryu Hayabuusa and Crash Bandicoot would likely be the two best choices as far as I can see.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I want you guys to imagine a slice of bread from "I Am Bread" getting revealed as the next fighter in Smash with some stupid tagline like "Bread butters up!". How would you react to this?
I'll be super hyped because I love characters like that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So I'm wondering who would be an appropriate fighter from a company not already in the game? I think Ryu Hayabuusa and Crash Bandicoot would likely be the two best choices as far as I can see.
Koei Tecmo and Activision feel like likely choices to me. Specially Koei Tecmo.

I'm a bit biased here but I think Arc System Works or Falcom are other pausible options.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I do think we'll see some smaller third parties like Lloyd or Ryu Hayabusa from here on out, but I think Klonoa is a bridge too far. Although his games are cult classics, over a decade with no new games and a failure to ever really break out and become well-known amongst the general gaming public really hurts him.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

One smaller character I’m hoping for is Sakura Shinguji from Sakura Wars.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I feel like someone on Terry’s level is as small as we’ll get for now. So someone who still has an ongoing series like Terry, perhaps Adol Cristin or Sol Badguy.

I think not getting Geno is an indicator of us not going too obscure in FP2.

So something that has occurred to me lately, is that all newcomers hail from the same few companies.

Snake, Simon, Richter* - Konami
Megaman, Ryu, Ken* - Capcom
Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker - Sega
Cloud, Hero, Sephiroth, - Square
Banjo, Steve - Microsoft
Pacman - Namco
Terry - SNK

Before Terry was introduced, only characters from the same 6 companies were chosen, a trend that continued after Terry as well. I think a large part to why Terry was chosen in the first place was to be a rep for a company that didn't already have a playable fighter in the game, and I think the next DLC is going to fit that slot as well

I’ll throw Valve & Spike Chunsoft (Danganronpa) into the mix in addition to the names already mentioned.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Koei Tecmo and Activision feel like likely choices to me. Specially Koei Tecmo.

I'm a bit biased here but I think Arc System Works or Falcom are other pausible options.
I know BlazBlue is from Arc System, what titles are from Falcom?

I think the main contenders would be activation, Ubisoft, Blizzard & Koei-Tecmo

I’ll throw Valve & Spike Chunsoft (Danganronpa) into the mix in addition to the names already mentioned.
While we are throwing unlikely companies out there, I think a Sony rep would be hype. Like Kratos for example!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Was that actually confirmed by any data miners? I’d imagine not

...say i must ask. are there any dataminers on twitter/other sites still active?

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

There indeed was discussion about it not too long ago, I even remember that 7nator was the one to bring it up in the first place.

I'm also 99% sure that this is just a 4chan user being a 4chan user and saying random things to bait others into thinking he's a leaker.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
tbf i havent heard from any dataminers in like.. forever. im sure they'll speak up once they've officially found something. no codenames cause Nintendo learned after Brave, and again, probably no changes to the WoL slots either otherwise they'd report it

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Could we get a character from a less iconic franchise? Yeah, Banjo and Terry are proof that we can.

That being said, a majority of the third-party characters are from franchises that are anything but obscure. If you're gonna say, "But we got Banjo/Terry!!" you're gonna have to acknowledge Sonic, Pac-Man, and the several other third-party characters who greatly outnumber the lesser known ones. You'll also have to acknowledge why the more obscure characters were chosen in the first place. I'd say Bayo, Banjo, and Terry are three third-parties who are close to the bottom of the totem pole. One was essentially a promotional character added because Nintendo took an interest in funding her games, and another was the fanbase's best friend. Terry is the only wildcard, and yet Sakurai seems to have history with SNK and know quite a bit about the different games.

Third-parties who are backed by the fans, Nintendo, or Sakurai have a shot, albeit a small one. Anyone who's not? We'll see.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know BlazBlue is from Arc System, what titles are from Falcom?

I think the main contenders would be activation, Ubisoft, Blizzard & Koei-Tecmo
They're known for Dragon Slayer (Essentially the first action-RPG), Ys (Another early action-RPG, and possibly the longest-running one), and Trails (A small but popular turn-based RPG, spun off from Legend of Heroes, which itself is a Dragon Slayer spinoff). In terms of characters, the most likely characters are Adol, the main character of Ys, Estelle, the first and most iconic Trails protagonist, and Rean, the most recent Trails protagonist.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
They're known for Dragon Slayer (Essentially the first action-RPG), Ys (Another early action-RPG, and possibly the longest-running one), and Trails (A small but popular turn-based RPG, spun off from Legend of Heroes, which itself is a Dragon Slayer spinoff). In terms of characters, the most likely characters are Adol, the main character of Ys, Estelle, the first and most iconic Trails protagonist, and Rean, the most recent Trails protagonist.
I don't know what else to say to this other than no....won't be happening in smash.

Also considering the trend I pointed out, we're on track for another sega rep in this pass. But I'm not sure who would make any sense other than Shadow, who I think is unlikely as he is likely to be similar to Isabelle (a semi- clone of Villager), which doesn't seem to be what the Fighters Passes are about. There is Knuckles, but I think Shadow has taken his spot as the edgy anti-hero of the Sonic series.

Sophitia

Smash Cadet
I don't know what else to say to this other than no....won't be happening in smash.

Also considering the trend I pointed out, we're on track for another sega rep in this pass. But I'm not sure who would make any sense other than Shadow, who I think is unlikely as he is likely to be similar to Isabelle (a semi- clone of Villager), which doesn't seem to be what the Fighters Passes are about. There is Knuckles, but I think Shadow has taken his spot as the edgy anti-hero of the Sonic series.
What makes us on track for another Sega rep?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Forgive me if I sound rude, but I think I might have missed this trend you mentioned. Why do you think we're getting another Sega rep?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Even if we were getting a SEGA character for sure, there are quite a few "sensible" choices other than Shadow. Not that I don't like him but Tails and Dr. Eggman would be just as good choices.

Also, Sonic isn't the only franchise from SEGA. I can easily see Yakuza or Puyo Puyo getting a character in the second pass, for example.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
My predictions for this fighters pass goes as follows. First Party Marketing Character, Capcom Rep (I’ll say Phoenix for the sake of not being vague), and New Company Rep (Valve or Activision or some indie).

Nintendo pushing another character they have sounds plausible and something to wind down after Sephiroth is good for keeping hype in check, Capcom Rep cause they just seem very likely (AA because of all the plans this year), and a New Company Character cause we haven’t gotten one yet (despite happening in both other DLC packs).

This is the one time in the entirety of Smash Speculation I feel like I have a decent read on what’s happening, though knowing Sakurai and Nintendo that feeling won’t last.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Knuckles isn't edgy. He's just a bit easier to anger than most of the others (and that's not even a consistent thing really).
unlike Sonic he don't chuckle

...I had to lmao
Forgive me if I sound rude, but I think I might have missed this trend you mentioned. Why do you think we're getting another Sega rep?
we got another Microsoft and Square rep this pass just like last one. however that might also imply a second SNK rep which... yeah sorry I don't see that happening. Terry seems sufficient as he comes with content of like 85% of his competition.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Was that actually confirmed by any data miners? I’d imagine not

...say i must ask. are there any dataminers on twitter/other sites still active?
Meshima and Ruben are still on Twitter, and both were involved in posting the new parameters for Sephiroth and any changes to the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom