• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah Final Fantasy was in pretty dire straits before Sephiroth came along. If any currently represented franchise in Smash warranted a booster pack like that, it was FF.

I know the modern side of Kirby feels a bit underrepped in Smash, but at least Kirby still does have a lot of characters, stages, music, spirits, assist trophies, and what not. The only problem is that the vast majority of it is geared towards the Sakurai side of things. Like how Street Fighter is almost entirely based around Street Fighter 2 with not much love for the other games.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Bandana Dee would be a fine rep, but I think Kirby is already in a good place. When it comes to adding more reps to 1st-party series already in Smash, we need another Splatoon rep a lot more than we need another Kirby/Star Fox/DK/etc rep.
I totally disagree with that as Bandana Dee, Krystal, and Dixie Kong are long overdue like Ridley, Dark Samus, and K. Rool was. I think those characters deserve a chance to get in before the Octolings do no offense.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
My take:

Hayabusa, Doomguy, MonHun, Chief, Geno, Gen 8, any “flavor of the month” or commonly speculated character with the exception of Crash: I sleep

when Sephiroth got revealed and were also discussing more “off the wall” picks like Reimu, KOS-MOS, Ahri, a less discussed first party like Octoling, etc: REAL ****?
And people wonder why I keep bringing up characters like Euden and Laharl...

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Seeing how the series peaked at Kirby Super Star Ultra (an incredible game, one of the DS' finest offerings) and just went downhill from there (well, Robobot was... okay, I suppose)... I don't share the frustration with regards to Kirby's representation being so skewed.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
A snooze fest for me woukd be Lloyd, doom guy, hayabusa,or any oth the other Flavors of the months. Sora woukd make me wake up from REM sleep tho
Tbh, the only reason I support underdog character like Zhao Yun as THE Koei Tecmo rep and Agumon as THE Bandai Namco rep is just that, I'm tired and bored. Tho it's really fun to wrestle with Hayabusa purist that Dynasty Warriors also played a significant role in the success of the company and with someone who doesn't know anything about DW that, just because the game is inspired by a real historical event and have the name of the characters based on a real life historical figure doesn't mean they're all handsome men in their early 30s and could wipe out a whole army in a single swipe:194:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Someone made a great post in the previous thread about how Bandana WaddleDee is basically a puzzle piece character. He doesn't add anything new in terms of content or gameplay, but he complete the Kirby quadrat. You'd have to decide if you think thats worthy to be included in smash or not.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Holiday season Smash DLC art.

This was the one from last year.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Someone made a great post in the previous thread about how Bandana WaddleDee is basically a puzzle piece character. He doesn't add anything new in terms of content or gameplay, but he complete the Kirby quadrat. You'd have to decide if you think thats worthy to be included in smash or not.
Dixie Kong basically fit that criteria as well.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty borderline comedic how much Bandana Dee has been shafted by Sakurai at this point

Obviously he's not a playable character. But he's not even an assist trophy, either. He doesn't even have a Mii hat. He didn't even have a spirit battle for crying out loud. Literally his one and only role in the entire Smash franchise (he wasn't even anywhere to be seen in Smash 4) is just as a mere upgrade to the regular Waddle Dee spirit.

I don't even really like Bandana Dee that much nor want particurly want to see him playable in Smash but even I'll admit Sakurai's treatment of this character is pretty harsh all things considered. Other popular rejects like Shantae, Geno, Shovel Knight, Krystal, Isaac, Dixie Kong, etc all got notable consolation prizes like assist trophies, Mii outfits/hats, and notable spirit fights apart of World of Light, but Dee couldn't even get any of that.
That basically seems to be the case for anything past his vision for the series. Anyone from 64 is not present, anyone beyond Super Star is just a PNG. If something appeared in Super Star, it gets it's Super Star appearance first. Also, Marx is the only new hat this game, Air Ride got more content than many mainline games. This may also explain why Kirby's Smash cast reminds me too much of the anime, which Sakurai also had involvement with.

That's why I don't immediately vouch for Bandana Dee. Yes, by pure logic he should be in by now, but with the concept of logic largely out the window, do we actually want to risk him being a pure Megaton Punch character with no other references? I've heard people suggest it's worth the risk, but after Sakurai's comment on Marx, I'm not so positive.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Final Fantasy has less representation that Kirby and Donkey Kong in the base game. No spirit, and 2 songs. Talk about having 10+ stage and 10+ song and 10+ spirit "lacking".
It's still rather scummy to make us wait 2 years for us to finally fight stand-ins for Barret, Tifa and Aerith.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think people would probably be more enthusiastic about Bandana Dee if he had an entirely unique design and wasn't just the Kirby equivalent of a Goomba wearing a hat with a stick.

Dixie Kong kinda has a similar issue where most people perceive her to be "Girl Diddy". But one thing Dixie has over Bandana Dee was the fact that she actually starred in two of her own games.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Seeing how the series peaked at Kirby Super Star Ultra (an incredible game, one of the DS' finest offerings) and just went downhill from there (well, Robobot was... okay, I suppose)... I don't share the frustration with regards to Kirby's representation being so skewed.
Excuse you, Kirby's Return to Dreamland was great!

It's the other three I'm not particularly fond of...I dunno why though. They're just...eh.

...Freddy Fazbear would be a Tier A character when he finally gets a chance to show up.
You know, I had dismissed the thought of his addition since he isn't exactly a pick many people would be fond of among other things. But now that people keep mentioning him, he seems to have crawled onto my wishlist.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think people would probably be more enthusiastic about Bandana Dee if he had an entirely unique design and wasn't just the Kirby equivalent of a Goomba wearing a hat with a stick.

Dixie Kong kinda has a similar issue where most people perceive her to be "Girl Diddy". But one thing Dixie has over Bandana Dee was the fact that she actually starred in two of her own games.
Bandana Dee hack and slash spinoff when?

you think Marx was convinced to join kirby via love? nah, bandana dee gave him a good megaton punch to the kneecaps

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dixie Kong makes a lot more sense as an echo though. She'd be terrible as a full fighter.
I disagree here. There are some pretty interesting mechanics she could bring to the table. Especially if she brings Kiddy Kong along and uses og Donkey Kong Country's swap mechanics.

Kneecaps? What kneecaps?
Exactly.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie Kong makes a lot more sense as an echo though. She'd be terrible as a full fighter.
Because you don't want her to take up a slot? She would make more sense as a semi-clone or unique fighter than a Echo as she isn't just girl Diddy if that's what you're thinking. Most of her moves in the DKC games are her using her hair so she could and can be a lot more than a Echo.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Bandana Dee's always been an interesting case in speculation because you'd think he's an intuitive base game pick given his recent prominence in the Kirby series, but he hasn't shown up in any form whatsoever. Not even as a spirit to the best of my knowledge.

Honestly I chalk it up to Sakurai representing the side of Kirby that he had a direct hand in developing and neglecting anything else. While I'm not the biggest fan of the "Sakurai bias" argument, I feel like there's an inherent bias when it comes to representing a series that you helped create. So, instead of Bandana Dee (who is honestly more like a C tier character—I'd call Dixie Kong a B tier character if we're applying arbitrary tier rankings to remaining first party reps) as a playable character we get Marx as a boss.

I'd say it's unfortunate, but I'm largely apathetic towards Bandana Dee. Is he a hat goomba? No. But I do think supporters overestimate his chances, especially given the large amount of representation the Kirby series already has and the large history it has to draw from.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
No to what?
It just doesn't fundamentally make sense for Dixie to be a mere echo fighter, no matter how much people try to argue otherwise.

She needs to be like, a Wolf/Lucas styled psuedo clone, a character that's mostly unique while obviously still derived from another fighter (Diddy in this case).

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So I was talking about this to someone in the Bandana Dee thread about peoples' reactions if Bandana Dee got in compared to their reactions to other DLC Nintendo characters and they said something like "They wasn't sure Dee would get a better response than Min Min because of Arms not being represented yet and Kirby already having 3 reps" which I kind of disagree. I think peoples' reactions to Dee would be close to their reactions to Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie. But how would you guys say people would react to Bandana Dee?
Personally, he's my most wanted, so I'd go nuts if he got in.

In terms of the general public's reception, I think it would be generally positive to positive bordering on mixed. There's a lot of people who either outright want the character or would at least respect the rationale behind his inclusion. He's especially popular in Japan, so I'd look forward to reactions from Burger-Kun and Velociraptor-Chan.

On the hand, there's a lot of people who are indifferent to the character and those that are outright opposed to his inclusion because "he's not hype enough", he doesn't fit their idea of what a DLC character should be, or he prevents a character they want from getting in the game. There's also the inevitable cries of "shill! shill" that would inevitably come with his inclusion, especially if he brings content from the newest 3D Kirby game.

As someone who popped off at Byleth's inclusion, I've kind of accepted that many of my personal desires vary significantly from those of the larger Smash fanbase, which is totally fine. Pursuing solely what's popular with the greatest number of people at the expense of what makes you happy is a pretty empty way to live life, so I could really care less that I'm that guy with weird tastes or whatever.

A character's worth isn't measured in their immediate reactions.

Last edited:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I disagree here. There are some pretty interesting mechanics she could bring to the table. Especially if she brings Kiddy Kong along and uses og Donkey Kong Country's swap mechanics.
If they do that then they'd be adding the trio as essentially DKC3 and not Dixie Kong herself. Which could be cool, but definitely seems like some base game stuff to me.

Echo for who? Diddy? Dixie's appeal is at most is her use of her hair and barely Diddy has that let alone whipping his tail.
They could still implement that. Just give her a guiding ability and make her pick up stuff with her. Maybe change her up b so her hair is used. Much like how Chrom's up b changed a lot from Roy's.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly do people really think "this seems like base game material" is a good argument after we just got a challenger pack that consisted of what the base game should've already had?
This. Like, okay, I don't see us getting playable Sephiroth in the base game, but still, having to wait for DLC to get more than 2 songs and a bunch of Spirits (hell, an updated render for Cloud) should pretty much put that whole argument to rest.

If the Smash team feels there's enough content to fill a Challenger Pack, they'll do it.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
I know Bandana Dee is pretty popular on here, but I have to say, I just don`t get his appeal at all. I understand that his character has significance in the Kirby universe but from my understanding not as much as characters like Dedede Dedede, Metaknight, and others. I`ve seen a few videos and mock-ups describing potential movesets but they were all pretty barebones.

I also see lots of comparisons between his inclusion and someone like Ridley or Krool and I have to disagree. Both Metroid and Donkey Kong were lacking representation from major villains and had fewer character reps than Kirby when Ridley and Krool were popular picks. Kirby has pretty good representation compared to a lot of series (even if it is way more Sakurai era kirby focused), it's not really in dire need of another character.

Even besides all this, wouldn`t someone like Magolor or Adeleine be a more interesting inclusion?

cothero

Smash Lord
Although i love Dixie and the DK series, i don't think she's relevant enough to be a DLC or full playable character in the base game. DK, Diddy and K. Rool are enough to represent the series. Also, she doesn't fit the echo fighter criteria at all, Diddy and Dixie are VERY different characters and plays differently in the games.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Can i say that i find it super boring that starting with Joker, most of the Final Smashes have been exactly the same cinematic thing with some slight variations. I find that super uninspired for how cool this characters tend to be in general.

Terry and Byleth especially have no excuse having those type of attacks. Terry could have used any of his supers instead of making it cinematic but i guess at least he can use them in the game regularly. As for Byleth, Sothis.PNG has to be the most uninspired final smash idea ever
There's a weird paradox with cinematic Final Smashes. On the one hand, mechanically they are all almost identical. On the other hand, they have the potential to be very distinct visually.

Comparing all the DLC characters' Final Smashes...
Joker: Coordinated strike with his teammates with a cool stylized aesthetic
Hero: Summons all other DQ heroes to get powered up for a lightning slash
Banjo & Kazooie: Summons a crystal bird deity (wtf are the Jinjos?) to pummel the opponent
Terry: Chain of three of his most iconic and explosive attacks
Byleth: Calls on their brain friend and slashes with their whip-sword
Min Min: Summons other ARMS fighters to lay out the opponent
Steve: Traps the opponent in an exploding house
Sephiroth: Transforms into an angelic monster and makes a sun explode

Strife

Banned via Warnings
It just doesn't fundamentally make sense for Dixie to be a mere echo fighter, no matter how much people try to argue otherwise.

She needs to be like, a Wolf/Lucas styled psuedo clone, a character that's mostly unique while obviously still derived from another fighter (Diddy in this case).
No way they're going to spend an ultimate DLC slot on that. Might work for smash 6 character, but I really see her being very boring with a Diddy derived moveset, don't see why they wouldn't just echo her. Seems like you love for the character might be skewing your view on this.

Although i love Dixie and the DK series, i don't think she's relevant enough to be a DLC or full playable character in the base game. DK, Diddy and K. Rool are enough to represent the series. Also, i don't think she fits the echo fighter criteria at all, Diddy and Dixie are VERY different characters and plays differently in the games.
Fair enough, but if they choices are between a full fighter and echo I'd pick echo everytime for Dixie.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
They could still implement that. Just give her a guiding ability and make her pick up stuff with her. Maybe change her up b so her hair is used. Much like how Chrom's up b changed a lot from Roy's.
Yeah that could do it, after all she uses her hands A LOT in her home game :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: her main appeal is her hair for grabbing and hitting, that's it. It doesn't change that like how Isabelle is basically almost similar to Villager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom