• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You'd think, however, that if he knew that the trailer would be out after FF7R's release that he'd have incorporated some beats from the game into Sephiroth's trailer, appearance, or moveset. Not even something major, but something at all. Especially since you think he'd have pre-release information for the game.

I genuinely think it's possible that Sephiroth's design goes back farther than we think, and this interview could definitely be used to make a case for thus.
At the same time, Ryu was released when SFV was right around the corner, and Smash has yet to reference SFV in more significant ways. His down-B is the Focus Attack, a mechanic V got rid of.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I think the major problem with Tales of discussion is that the people here that don't really know much about Tales of know Lloyd, and thus would like to see him, and the people that are really into the series are sitting in the back going "they should add Yuri 'cuz Lloyd suuuuucks!" so the whole conversation is just:

"Yuri's better."
"But I want the character I actually know."
I really dread Tales character in-fighting. It's bad enough when people get up in arms about characters from the same company but when it's about the same franchise, ouch.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
a mechanic V got rid of.
It's not that they "got rid" of it. It's just tradition for SF games to ditch its gimmicks for the next sequel.

SF4 dropped the parries, SFV dropped the Revenge Gauge and Focus Attacks (surprised no one got it as a V-skill tho)

Alpha games even had you choose between three different mechanics that changed how the game is played.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone's inherently throwing Tales of away, it's just... tough to talk about stuff you don't really know about lol.
Guess I'll just have to make a list, then.
  • Lloyd has two swords because one sword cool, therefor two swords cooler
  • He's kind of a dingus
  • Tales of Symphonia shares a composer with Golden Sun, Dark Souls, and the SSBU remix of The Arch-Illager
  • DEMON FANG DEMON FANG DOUBLE DEMON FANG
  • One of his voice actors is also Robin from Batman apparently
  • Lloyd's basically the Cloud of the franchise, as Tales of Symphonia broke the series out into the West
  • Aside from that, he's also a fairly popular Smash request because of Symphonia launching on the GameCube
  • Something something Schroedinger's Coffee

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pretty much everything I've heard when I discuss it with my friends who DO know the series.

"Lloyd is for the Nintendo babies."
"Yuri for literally everyone else."
And it's that mentality that kind of makes me go "yeah screw that noise". I'd rather just wait and see than have a bunch of conversations where I say Lloyd would be neat and the Yuri fans are just like "that's where you're wrong pleb".

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well if Chun-Li does get in, I'll just say that Eggman, Tails, Shadow or/& Knuckles is probably Psuedo-Confirmed, because there is no way That Sonic will just be left with one character after that, when these Iconic characters are in the mix

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If Llyod is the Cloud of his Franchise...What the hell is Yuri? Because his game was the one people were screaming for a remake/port and he's the one topping all polls everyday.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At the same time, Ryu was released when SFV was right around the corner, and Smash has yet to reference SFV in more significant ways. His down-B is the Focus Attack, a mechanic V got rid of.
Plus, new designs for characters like Inkling and Samus came out over a year before Ultimate, but still didn't even make it as alts.

Not every new game is inherently going to get implemented, or even be suitable timing-wise. Square doesn't strike me as a company that would be eager to let Sakurai get his hands on FF7R before it released anyway. It's certainly not the same as Nintendo, of whom Sakurai has basically been an employee for almost his entire career.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Not to diss Lloyd, I like the guy, but I gotta be honest: If you're trying to appeal to the general Tales audience, you're probably going with Yuri, because the guy's so popular that he's been banned from the official character popularity polls because he's too much of a fan favorite that he kept topping it all the time with other Tales characters. He's a fan favorite amongst western and eastern Tales fans, and Vesperia's rerelease was a hugely celebrated event amongst the Tales community. The Tales community spent over a decade campaigning for Vesperia's definitive edition, and when it finally came, it was such a big event that Bamco's official Twitter accounts joined in on the old memes about it.

Lloyd's iconic for Nintendo fans, but if you want to please Tales fans, I honestly feel Yuri is the bigger draw, personally. To each their own, though, of course!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If Llyod is the Cloud of his Franchise...What the hell is Yuri? Because his game was the one people were screaming for a remake/port and he's the one topping all polls everyday.
...The Tidus, I guess? I dunno, I don't know my Final Fantasy very well.

If anything, I think it would be a better comparison for Yu Narukami, being a fairly recent character who's still fairly popular... But that's not very accurate either, seeing as Persona 4 got the franchise noticed and Tales already has that with Symphonia.

Yeah, I don't %$#@ing know. I've been neglecting my big JRPG franchises.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
New Sakurai column is out and SourceGaming did a translation video on it:

The big piece of news imo is that Sakurai had the idea for Sephiroth's trailer finalized before FF7R's release (March 2020–probably earlier considering he doesn't mention pre-development info that he would likely have been privy to). This means that he and Nintendo were sitting on the rights to Sephiroth for much longer than we previously thought.

This definitely lends a bit of credibility to the Negotiations Leak (which is what I'm gonna call it since Dropped Deals and Chun-Leak are both too presumptuous imo).
Negotiations Leak?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
When you're finally part of a notable leak and are 50% part of it and you still get ignored.
View attachment 296998
See it like this, being a pretty big request for well over a decade would exhaust discussion at some point. For real though, I dropped Symphonia because I thought it was boring as hell but whenever I saw certain fanbases go "Our character is the last big request from the Brawl days!" My mind defaults to "What about Lloyd tho"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yeah, I have this weird feeling that, if we're getting a Tales of Rep, Llyod is going to become the "Geno" of the Tales of Series AS IN-
"Sakurai make a comment that want him playable/say he's the natural choice but he don't end up being playable replaced by the most well known character of the company/series in comparison."

I think it's gonna be how Sakurai did consider for a moment Bartz or Tina/Terra for the FF spot, the logical Nintendo Choice, but then went like "Lmao FF without Cloud, wtf am I doing." and take the most popular character fanwise

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Hey wait a minute...
Isn't this talk about Chun-Li just going into the mentality of basing speculation on the last character to get in?
  • Piranha Plant and Joker get a pass because the DLC cycle was still in its early days.
  • Hero and Burger-King? Alright bois, we're getting east vs. west!
  • Terry Bogard? That must mean the last fighter will be niche.
  • Byleth? Oh no, the next fighters will be 1st party shills! Cinderance confirmed!
  • Min Min? We're probably getting more 1st parties this time around... Cinderance is still in.
  • Steve? Oh, that means the next one must be super big! Oh god, Fortnite is coming!
  • Sephiroth? That means the next fighter will be from a game already in Smash.
I don't think this means Chun-Li isn't happening, but I do think it falls into this pattern. Anyways, just for fun, let's say the next fighter is Chun-Li. What mental gymnastics will we spin her into then?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, I have this weird feeling that, if we're getting a Tales of Rep, Llyod is going to become the "Geno" of the Tales of Series AS IN-
"Sakurai make a comment that want him playable/say he's the natural choice but he don't end up being playable replaced by the most well known character of the company/series in comparison."

I think it's gonna be how Sakurai did consider for a moment Bartz or Tina/Terra for the FF spot, the logical Nintendo Choice, but then went like "Lmao FF without Cloud, wtf am I doing." and take the most popular character fanwise
It's also just possible NONE of the Mii fighters from 4 are going to be upgraded so Lloyd is already doomed regardless. :nifty:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Negotiations Leak?
Official - DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II | Page 13 | Smashboards
This big thing, summarized. My new occupation is reposting this thing over and over again to make sure everyone understands what we're talking about and so there is no confusion or miscommunications.
Long story short, a bunch of characters had negotiations to be in the base game; Steve, Erdrick, and Sephiroth were correctly called. Chun-Li was supposedly replaced by Ken, while Lloyd and Yuri were in the planning stages but disappeared too.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Out of sheer curiosity

What would the general consensus here be if King Boo were one of the last three fighters?
To me it would seem like seeing a villain for the sake of it.

Meanwhile there are so many other ones who don't look like another mook which would be more welcome. (Ok, or at least more hype to me).
Eggmannor Metal Sonic, Bass, Medusa or Hades, King Hippo or Mr.Sandman, M.Bison or Akuma, Zoma or Dragonlord, etc

And even from the Mario universe I'd be more hyped for Waluigi, Wart, or Birdo (is technically a mini boss?)

Shroob

Sup?
Hey wait a minute...
Isn't this talk about Chun-Li just going into the mentality of basing speculation on the last character to get in?
  • Piranha Plant and Joker get a pass because the DLC cycle was still in its early days.
  • Hero and Burger-King? Alright bois, we're getting east vs. west!
  • Terry Bogard? That must mean the last fighter will be niche.
  • Byleth? Oh no, the next fighters will be 1st party shills! Cinderance confirmed!
  • Min Min? We're probably getting more 1st parties this time around... Cinderance is still in.
  • Steve? Oh, that means the next one must be super big! Oh god, Fortnite is coming!
  • Sephiroth? That means the next fighter will be from a game already in Smash.
I don't think this means Chun-Li isn't happening, but I do think it falls into this pattern. Anyways, just for fun, let's say the next fighter is Chun-Li. What mental gymnastics will we spin her into then?
No, the reason people think Chun 'could' be next is because CP9 will probably come in March, and MH Rise is a timed Switch exclusive, so if anything, the MH Mii outfits would make sense to drop in March. People are just thinking "Oh, maybe CP9 could be Capcom then."

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
No, the reason people think Chun 'could' be next is because CP9 will probably come in March, and MH Rise is a timed Switch exclusive, so if anything, the MH Mii outfits would make sense to drop in March. People are just thinking "Oh, maybe CP9 could be Capcom then."
Although I would love Chun-Li, it could also mean that Dante (DMC) isn't going to be playable in Smash Ultimate for now.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

That's kinda where I'm at too. I will admit I have never played a Tales game, but from what I've heard and read Yuri as a character makes more sense to include than Lloyd. Like, getting banned from the popularity poll of your own franchise after dominating them for years is a sign that you kinda maybe slightly could be the most popular character in said franchise :4pacman:

But hey what do I know? I play Trails, not Tales.

Shroob

Sup?
Official - DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II | Page 13 | Smashboards
This big thing, summarized. My new occupation is reposting this thing over and over again to make sure everyone understands what we're talking about and so there is no confusion or miscommunications.
Long story short, a bunch of characters had negotiations to be in the base game; Steve, Erdrick, and Sephiroth were correctly called. Chun-Li was supposedly replaced by Ken, while Lloyd and Yuri were in the planning stages but disappeared too.
Sharklord, "What is my purpose?"

You repost a leak

"Oh my god."

7NATOR

Smash Master
To be honest, wouldn't Current Nintendo fans actually be more familiar with Yuri than with Lloyd? Symphonia isn't on the Switch, but Vesperia is, and I would say (Most) Nintendo fans participate in Smash discussion. A lot might not have played the Gamecube

Sure there is.

It just doesn't get one. Dem's the ropes.
If we get Chun-Li, but we don't get Another Sonic character like Eggman, Tails, Shadow, or/& Knuckles, I'll give someone here $10, Plus maybe a multiplier depending on how nice I feel

I just can't see a Scenraio where we Get BOTH Sephiroth and Chun-Li, but not another Sonic character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I own the Tales of Symphonia collection, so I probably could have contributed more to the discussion on either side, but then I got stuck on the boss fight in Palmacosta, and then my console stopped reading disks, so I don't have it anymore.

I have yet to even touch Tales of Vesparia (I think that was the other one on the disk) and probably never will.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think the major problem with Tales of discussion is that the people here that don't really know much about Tales of know Lloyd, and thus would like to see him, and the people that are really into the series are sitting in the back going "they should add Yuri 'cuz Lloyd suuuuucks!" so the whole conversation is just:

"Yuri's better."
"But I want the character I actually know."
In my case, Yuri is the character I actually know. Whereas I only played Symphonia for a bit(and I ended up quitting because I was not activating any progress because I unknowingly missed somewhere I was supposed to go than ended up going past the areas you normally progress without any scenes activating, like the area where you encounter Sheena) and only know more the game and Lloyd from spin-offs, like SCLegends, and videos, whereas I actually played through all of Vesperia.
But as I've clearly stated, I'm not against Lloyd. I'd be fine with Lloyd or Yuri, just that Yuri is my preferred.
It depends on who is the most popular Final Fantasy character in Japan. Cloud is known for his overall popularity and the fact that Final Fantasy really erupted in the West when FF7 came out, which would fit Lloyd cause he's popular with both sides of the world and Tales of Symphonia was the game that really got attention in the West.
Yuri's popularity is definitely more from Japan. Especially due to the West not getting the upgraded Tales of Vesperia for PS3, although there was definitely demand for it at the time. So Yuri is probably alot more comparable to any Final Fantasy protagonist who beats Cloud in popularity in Japan. It could be Tidus or Yuna, considering Final Fantasy X was popular enough in Japan to not just get a Final Mix for each game that actually had additional content, compared to FFVII International which was just FFVII with all the features in the American version, but also had side novels and a mini-story game between FFX and FFX-2.
Yuri is the guy that made Japanese gamers actually want to purchase an XBox... Until the game came out later on the PS3.
The thing is that Yuri still won the first popularity poll he entered before his game even came out to PS3. When that popularity poll was shown, the PS3 version was still about a month or two away from release.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's kinda where I'm at too. I will admit I have never played a Tales game, but from what I've heard and read Yuri as a character makes more sense to include than Lloyd. Like, getting banned from the popularity poll of your own franchise after dominating them for years is a sign that you kinda maybe slightly could be the most popular character in said franchise :4pacman:

But hey what do I know? I play Trails, not Tales.
Actually, question. I've only played Sky FC, so what are the odds Sakurai would pick Rean over Estelle? I'd say it's a somewhat similar situation as Estelle's the one who started it all but Rean's from the biggest game in the franchise from what I can tell, especially with Cold Steel getting a whole extra game over Sky

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Actually, question. I've only played Sky FC, so what are the odds Sakurai would pick Rean over Estelle? I'd say it's a somewhat similar situation as Estelle's the one who started it all but Rean's from the biggest game in the franchise from what I can tell, especially with Cold Steel getting a whole extra game over Sky
Rean is Kondo's favorite, he's the CEO of Falcom and he went on record to say this in interviews. Combine that with Cold Steel having the larger amount of sales and being more accessible than Sky...and I'm sorry to say but I think he's likelier than Estelle even though I like her more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom