• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I tried to include all of Culex's colors and I didn't know how else to make it look half decent lol.
It would probably look fine with shading.

Like I said before, at deeper levels Chun-Li and Min Min are different enough to stand out from each other, but Smash tends to stay surface-level when bringing characters in.
You wouldn't have to go that deep though. The fact that Chun-Li's Neutral Attack, Side Tilt, Forward Smash, Neutral Special, and Side Special aren't all the same move would make her stand out from Min Min well enough, and from a personality standpoint, she's not nearly as stoic, and would speak English rather than Chinese (and would say full sentences rather than just "la mien".)

If you think they'd give off similar vibes, then you don't really know one or either of the characters very well.

D

Deleted member

Like I said before, at deeper levels Chun-Li and Min Min are different enough to stand out from each other, but Smash tends to stay surface-level when bringing characters in.
I mean all it would really take is to give Chun-Li more than "haha strechy arm goes strechy" for the moveset, and that's honestly easier done than said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
What's the joke? Or a source about the joke if it can't be posted here...
+More importantly, how was it used?
tl;dr, early in the movie, some Jabronis are in a military Jeep driving through some area, one of the dudes in the back is relaxing with his feet up. The dude in the back asks the driver, "Hey, guess what kinda knees I got?" To which the driver responds "What kinda knees?"

The dude, who is Chinese mind you, replies, "Chi-knees." and a few moments later saying "That joke goes over great in China."

Actually, it doesn't, because the "Joke" is a way to say someone is beneath you effectively in Japan and China, quite literally "You are beneath my knees, you are lower than me." China ****ing hated it to the point they outright removed the film from airing.

D

Deleted member

tl;dr, early in the movie, some Jabronis are in a military Jeep driving through some area, one of the dudes in the back is relaxing with his feet up. The dude in the back asks the driver, "Hey, guess what kinda knees I got?" To which the driver responds "What kinda knees?"

The dude, who is Chinese mind you, replies, "Chi-knees." and a few moments later saying "That joke goes over great in China."

Actually, it doesn't, because the "Joke" is a way to say someone is beneath you effectively in Japan and China, quite literally "You are beneath my knees, you are lower than me." China ****ing hated it to the point they outright removed the film from airing.
I'ma gonna do it!
red-cancel-push-button-sign-emblem-hand-w-vector-11315800.jpg

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Time to write up a big prediction post that will inevitably get proven wrong: my true prediction is that everything I say here will be a laughable relic by the time we know Challenger Pack 9 and their associated Mii Costumes. Assuming Volume 2 is the end, I do predict the end of "reveal, presentation and release are all in the same month" we've had for most of 2020's cast. Partially to artificially extend hype, partially to ensure these characters are of the highest quality they can be.

No Square Enix and no Microsoft reps, assuming companies do not repeat. DLC Mii Costumes are not included, except Rex due to his unique circumstance, and are not factored in for the ones yet to return. Assist Trophies ARE included. All of these guys are examples, it could be anybody who fits these molds.

Challenger Pack #9: A low key third party compared to hypemasters Steve and Sephiroth. Perhaps regional in their appeal, these characters got in based on a combination of financial merit for their owning party, the goodwill and mutual marketing for Nintendo, and moveset potential or legacy for Sakurai. Reveal is sometime between February to March, releases in either April or June (nothing ever happens in May). If June, their presentation is at the start of the E3 event, or any replacement if applicable.

Candidates (bold: pay attention to them):
KonamiBill Rizer (Contra)
Frogger
SEGAArle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)

Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
CapcomAmaterasu (Okami)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Viewtiful Joe
Bandai-NamcoLloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell (Tales of)
Don-Chan (Taiko no Tatsujin)
Haruka Amami (Idolm@ster, I wouldn't count on this one)
The Prince (Katamari Damacy)
Japanese Third PartiesProfessor Layton (Level-5)
Jibanyan (Level-5)
Western Third PartiesMaxwell (Scribblenauts)
Any indies that are not listed below. Standouts below:
Quote (Cave Story, Nicalis)
The Knight (Hollow Knight, Team Cherry)
Shantae (...who owns her?)

Challenger Pack #10: A big fan favorite, and the last "big" character of the pass, as well as the final third party. These guys might be more popular in the west than Japan, and the definition of fan favorite may vary depending on multiple factors. Revealed at the end of Nintendo's E3 event, or late into June-early July if there is no E3 event. Releases sometime in mid-late August to early September.

Candidates:
KonamiRaiden (Metal Gear)
Alucard (Castlevania)
SEGADr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
CapcomMonster Hunter (I think they'll be shown at an event and not a direct)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Bandai-NamcoAgumon (Digimon)
Tekken rep that is not Heihachi (if it can happen)
Japanese Third PartiesRyu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden, Koei-Tecmo)
If at this point he's still in it, Sora (Kingdom Hearts, Disney) - Personally I consider him out w Square Enix
Western Third PartiesAny Valve, Activision or Ubisoft rep
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat, Warner Bros.)
Frisk (Undertale, Toby Fox)
Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's, Scott Cawthon)
Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games)
Terraria rep (Re-Logic)

Challenger Pack #11: A first party candidate. I don't really have anything to add here. At this point the character has big shoes to fill and they will either surpass even the lesser third parties (Waluigi might be able to one-up all of them), or continue the First Party DLC curse (being super controversial, with several detractors). Reveal in October, presumable November (or late October) release.

Candidates:
Super Mario Bros (verse)Waluigi
Toad
Dixie Kong
Wario rep
The Legend of ZeldaImpa
KirbyBandana Waddle Dee
PokémonGalarian Pokémon
Fire Emblem (I know, I know)FE17's protagonist, if applicable
XenobladeRex(?)
Other RepresentedAn unknown character from a represented series
Unrepresented on RosterAn entirely new IP
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
A new retro character

If there's any notable exclusions, please, let me know! While I have a pretty rigid set of predictions, they're also extremely open.
I think Reimu and a Falcom character would work pretty well for CP9.

Touhou is in a similar spot to Sakura Wars, just swap official anime and stage shows for a massive amount of fanworks and prominence in the indie scene (Plus more reach on Nintendo systems and the West, even if a lot of it is fueled by fans).

Falcom has three main candidates; Adol, Estelle, and Rean. Adol comes from Ys, one of the first action-RPGs, and probably the longest-running one. He definitely has the most legacy out of them. Estelle and Rean are from the Trails series, a somewhat more recent series, but arguably more popular. Estelle is the first Trails protagonist and usually considered the face of the series, while Rean is the most recent protagonist and has been the hero (Or at least one of the heroes) for like half the series now. It depends on if Nintendo values legacy or popularity, but it could go either way seeing as they're both pretty niche.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
New Sakurai column is out and SourceGaming did a translation video on it:

The big piece of news imo is that Sakurai had the idea for Sephiroth's trailer finalized before FF7R's release (March 2020–probably earlier considering he doesn't mention pre-development info that he would likely have been privy to). This means that he and Nintendo were sitting on the rights to Sephiroth for much longer than we previously thought.

This definitely lends a bit of credibility to the Negotiations Leak (which is what I'm gonna call it since Dropped Deals and Chun-Leak are both too presumptuous imo).

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

Hmmm, I'm going to give the people behind the film the benefit of the doubt and assume this really dumb joke is a case of ignorance and not really of malice or intended racism.

I myself have never really been aware of that being a thing in China. I wouldn't be surprised if alot of other people weren't aware of it either.

Shroob

Sup?

The big piece of news imo is that Sakurai had the idea for Sephiroth's trailer finalized before FF7R's release. This means that he and Nintendo were sitting on the rights to Sephiroth for much longer than we previously thought.

This definitely lends a bit of credibility to the Negotiations Leak (which is what I'm gonna call it since Dropped Deals and Chun-Leak are both too presumptuous imo).
Pony please you even liked my post. :halfsheep:

D

Deleted member

New Sakurai column is out. The big piece of news imo is that Sakurai had the idea for Sephiroth's trailer finalized before FF7R's release. This means that he and Nintendo were sitting on the rights to Sephiroth for much longer than we previously thought.

I mean since we know negotiations for Steve took 5 years I kinda figured the rest of the bunch took similar amounts of time. At least it does confirm that though.

Shroob

Sup?
Hmmm, I'm going to give the people behind the film the benefit of the doubt and assume this really dumb joke is a case of ignorance and not really of malice or intended racism.

I myself have never really been aware of that being a thing in China. I wouldn't be surprised if alot of other people weren't aware of it either.
I mean, I doubt it was intentional either, but maybe you should... I dunno... do some research? :drshrug: Seems if you're going to include a joke like that, may wanna make sure it wouldn't piss off several cultures at once, because that's apparently how you lose your Asian box office.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Another fun thing to ****post about now that we know it's possible for trailers to be finalized long before the character is actually revealed:

I'm thinking it's real 😎

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, while I think most people would be OK with Chun-Li as a character, I have to wonder how Sakurai would sell us the third SF fighter if she was in.

Like, I know it's all SF2 but her franchise nevertheless has a lot of content in Smash and I feel like they'd try to hype her more than just "here's some more SF". Maybe leaning on Capcom vs series with cameos from Final Fight, Rival Schools etc. might help? Or maybe I'm overthinking this and the first lady of the fighting games doesn't need anything extra.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

The meaning of the joke makes it feel like it's from the cold war era. If my hunch is correct, then it'd probably go over the heads of children and some young adults since it otherwise just sounds like a silly pun (like the nationality swapping bathroom joke).

Though the fact that they said "oh yeah, that goes over well in China" makes it more suspect since the implication is that racist jokes are funny, and I kinda feel like you can't really do that unintentionally. I'm not gonna call the writer a terrible person or anything, but with this context it sounds like the joke was in poor taste.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

The big piece of news imo is that Sakurai had the idea for Sephiroth's trailer finalized before FF7R's release (March 2020–probably earlier considering he doesn't mention pre-development info that he would likely have been privy to). This means that he and Nintendo were sitting on the rights to Sephiroth for much longer than we previously thought.

FF7R released, what, nine months ago?

Pretty sure the assumption was all of pass two, or certainly at least the first few characters were decided sometime in the first half of 2019, considering when they filmed the announcement of more. That would be roughly a year before FF7R's release.

I... I don't see how this changes anything.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
When you're finally part of a notable leak and are 50% part of it and you still get ignored.
View attachment 296998
I mean technically speaking Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri together only make up a quarter of the leak at most.

But yeah, I find it kinda odd that we've turned it entirely into the Chun-Leak. I mean, yeah, we may have discussed them a lot before, but it just feels... I dunno, like we're just going out of our way to ignore the Tales series and become hyperfocused on Chun-Li. And we all know what happens when SmashBoards dot com gets hyperfocused on somebody...

Granted, there is a bit of bias in there. Chun-Li's cool and all, she's got a lot of legacy under her belt, and I'd probably be pretty excited when I see her in action... But I don't have much attachment to Street Fighter, and she just doesn't stand out to me very much. That, and we already have a martial artist who draws from Chinese culture and a sizeable amount of Street Fighter content. Again, I'd probably be pretty happy with her, but she's not my ideal pick.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean technically speaking Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri together only make up a quarter of the leak at most.

But yeah, I find it kinda odd that we've turned it entirely into the Chun-Leak. I mean, yeah, we may have discussed them a lot before, but it just feels... I dunno, like we're just going out of our way to ignore the Tales series and become hyperfocused on Chun-Li. And we all know what happens when SmashBoards dot com gets hyperfocused on somebody...

Granted, there is a bit of bias in there. Chun-Li's cool and all, she's got a lot of legacy under her belt, and I'd probably be pretty excited when I see her in action... But I don't have much attachment to Street Fighter, and she just doesn't stand out to me very much. That, and we already have a martial artist who draws from Chinese culture and a sizeable amount of Street Fighter content. Again, I'd probably be pretty happy with her, but she's not my ideal pick.
Again, I think the reason everyone's hyper-focused on Chun is down to 2 reasons:

1# I think "Most" people are expecting Capcom next due to Rise and the missing Mii outfits. Free publicity to drop the Mii outfits the same Month as Rise.

2# I think people just "know" her more than the Tales of series as a whole. I bet most people could tell you 5 things about Chun without even having to think of her, I can't tell you 5 things about Lloyd of Yuri that isn't just "They use swords" or "Lloyd could be a Mii still."

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Sephiroth probably started his development after Byleth release, around february. A smash character takes between 6 months to a full year of development (this includes everything; planning, design, programmings, testing, etc). 11 months including covid situation sounds pausible. They developed 3 characters at the same time.

Min Min probably started after Banjo-Kazooie. September 2019 to June 2020 was 10 months.

Steve started after Terry. November 2019 to October 2020 is 11 months.

Nowdays they are at full development of CP9, finish designing CP10 and starting CP11

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Again, I think the reason everyone's hyper-focused on Chun is down to 2 reasons:

1# I think "Most" people are expecting Capcom next due to Rise and the missing Mii outfits. Free publicity to drop the Mii outfits the same Month as Rise.

2# I think people just "know" her more than the Tales of series as a whole. I bet most people could tell you 5 things about Chun without even having to think of her, I can't tell you 5 things about Lloyd of Yuri that isn't just "They use swords" or "Lloyd could be a Mii still."
Also Chun-Li just hasn't been in a whole lot of leaks so she kind of stands out more. Contrast that to Lloyd who has had a handful of leaks relating to him throughout Smash's lifespan and has a sizeable movement going about. More people will have probably heard people wanting Lloyd for Smash over Chun-Li so he's not overly interesting of a character to focus on in the leak.

It's like that "Google Theory" with Doomguy, Ryu and Artorias. Artorias would have been such an out of left field pick being the first non-main character to represent a franchise as well as a villain and not what people generally would think for a Dark Souls pick so he was sorta the standout thing that made the """leak"""/"""theory""" most interesting.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace

I honestly agree. If this were only the first pass I would be way more open to her, but idk just knowing that if she comes in all likelihood there won’t be any other capcom characters has me hesitant toward her given that Phoenix is one of my most wanted. That and, I’ll probably get flack for saying this too, but from a PURELY surface level, Chun-li and Min Min have extremely similar aesthetics, both hailing from fighting games, both being female, Chinese martial artists, and both having signature kicking attacks in their home games

I realize fully well they wouldn’t actually play similarly whatsoever of course, but you HAVE to see the similarities here, they would be far and away the most similar characters to each other in all the dlc, moreso than any other pair of characters. Plus Street Fighter, along w Castlevania and now Final Fantasy, is already one of the best represented third party series as is. Idk, just a third character plus an entire additional spirit board and more music just feels superfluous to me, especially when so many other capcom series are in the running and the slots are SO thin. For all of these reasons, I’m ultimately against Chun-li.

just my two cents, I don’t hate her certainly just what I’m thinking atm

7NATOR

Smash Master
Sephiroth probably started his development after Byleth release, around february. A smash character takes between 6 months to a full year of development (this includes everything; planning, design, programmings, testing, etc). 11 months including covid situation sounds pausible. They developed 3 characters at the same time.

Min Min probably started after Banjo-Kazooie. September 2019 to June 2020 was 10 months.

Steve started after Terry. November 2019 to October 2020 is 11 months.

Nowdays they are at full development of CP9, finish designing CP10 and starting CP11
Hmm, I Imagine that at least the Planning for all of the characters is finished around similar times.

Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, and Byleth all released in the span of a year. Granted I'm sure development Active development was underway on Joker and Hero (and perhaps Banjo) by the time the game released, and Plant was able to have gameplay shown off, But I Imagine when developing 3 charactters, it's only taking into account Active Development

Plus there's other aspects like the render, Composition, and stuff like that. Even when the Art Designers and Composers finish their tasks for the 3 charcters in active development, I don't think they just wait until they start work on the next characters, they knock it out right there and then.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
FF7R released, what, nine months ago?

Pretty sure the assumption was all of pass two, or certainly at least the first few characters were decided sometime in the first half of 2019, considering when they filmed the announcement of more. That would be roughly a year before FF7R's release.

I... I don't see how this changes anything.
You'd think, however, that if he knew that the trailer would be out after FF7R's release that he'd have incorporated some beats from the game into Sephiroth's trailer, appearance, or moveset. Not even something major, but something at all. Especially since you think he'd have pre-release information for the game.

I genuinely think it's possible that Sephiroth's design goes back farther than we think, and this interview could definitely be used to make a case for thus.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I know, but it feels weird to just completely ignore a potential candidate. Maybe it's because I am little baby who only joined around Min Min's announcement and haven't speculated about many major leaks or Tales of, but it just feels off. I don't want to throw away any potential candidates and zero in on only one character.

Shroob

Sup?
I know, but it feels weird to just completely ignore a potential candidate. Maybe it's because I am little baby who only joined around Min Min's announcement and haven't speculated about many major leaks or Tales of, but it just feels off. I don't want to throw away any potential candidates and zero in on only one character.
I don't think anyone's inherently throwing Tales of away, it's just... tough to talk about stuff you don't really know about lol.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
For the record, I'm wary of anymore Namco character what with the returning Namco Mii costumes being spread out. If Lloyd is to be a fighter himself, I'd be curious as to why other Namco costumes would not have come with him like Tails' and Knuckles' costumes. Only idea I had is that like Dragon Quest, the Mii wave is solely themed around Tales or it just gets more Namco costumes. Lloyd could come with a wave like Kratos (from Tales of Symphonia), Yuri, Velvet, Klonoa and KOS-MOS. Maybe Yuri is the Tales rep and that's how Lloyd's costume would return.

ZelDan

Smash Master

We're also fresh off of Sephiroth, so everyone's in a "OMG SECOND REPS FROM THIRD PARTIES IS A THING!" mindset

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't think anyone's inherently throwing Tales of away, it's just... tough to talk about stuff you don't really know about lol.
I made a post a while back this year gushing about Yuri and why he's a cool guy in the old speculation thread: Shameless link

In short: He's a cool guy who should be in Smash.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I probably said this before, but...
It hurts my brain whenever someone says "Tales of" instead of just "Tales" because, while the latter is more common (from what I've seen), the franchise is officially known as "Tales".
\/
_|ou wouldn't have to go that deep though. The fact that Chun-Li's Neutral Attack, Side Tilt, Forward Smash, Neutral Special, and Side Special aren't all the same move would make her stand out from Min Min well enough, and from a personality standpoint, she's not nearly as stoic, and would speak English rather than Chinese (and would say full sentences rather than just "la mien".)

If you think they'd give off similar vibes, then you don't really know one or either of the characters very well.
Chun-Li's the one I don't know very well. The only game I own with her in it is Ultimate MvC3... in which I never use her.

While I get why people would be offended over that, I think that last bit might've worked if it were used in a sarcastic fashion.
The meaning of the joke makes it feel like it's from the cold war era. If my hunch is correct, then it'd probably go over the heads of children and some young adults since it otherwise just sounds like a silly pun (like the nationality swapping bathroom joke).

Though the fact that they said "oh yeah, that goes over well in China" makes it more suspect since the implication is that racist jokes are funny, and I kinda feel like you can't really do that intentionally. I'm not gonna call the writer a terrible person or anything, but with this context it sounds like the joke was in poor taste.
I mean racist jokes can be funny. I think the context of the jokes matters more than the joke itself.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the major problem with Tales of discussion is that the people here that don't really know much about Tales of know Lloyd, and thus would like to see him, and the people that are really into the series are sitting in the back going "they should add Yuri 'cuz Lloyd suuuuucks!" so the whole conversation is just:

"Yuri's better."
"But I want the character I actually know."

Shroob

Sup?
I think the major problem with Tales of discussion is that the people here that don't really know much about Tales of know Lloyd, and thus would like to see him, and the people that are really into the series are sitting in the back going "they should add Yuri 'cuz Lloyd suuuuucks!" so the whole conversation is just:

"Yuri's better."
"But I want the character I actually know."
Pretty much everything I've heard when I discuss it with my friends who DO know the series.

"Lloyd is for the Nintendo babies."
"Yuri for literally everyone else."

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Too lazy to dig up for it but, from Imran Khan FP2's deals happened back at E3 2019, and up to January 2020. This was posted in a ResetEra Thread around Byleth's presentation...So quite a while back.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I made a post a while back this year gushing about Yuri and why he's a cool guy in the old speculation thread: Shameless link

In short: He's a cool guy who should be in Smash.
If he got in, I'd like to imagine some people would see the purple hair and slim stature and wonder why Sakurai is letting Doki Doki Literature Club into the game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You'd think, however, that if he knew that the trailer would be out after FF7R's release that he'd have incorporated some beats from the game into Sephiroth's trailer, appearance, or moveset. Not even something major, but something at all. Especially since you think he'd have pre-release information for the game.

I genuinely think it's possible that Sephiroth's design goes back farther than we think, and this interview could definitely be used to make a case for thus.
It's not particularly suspicious that a trailer conceptualized before the release of a game doesn't take elements from that game. If it did that would've been neat, but it not doing so is not strange enough to be meaningful.

If you think Sephiroth's planning and development only began in the last several months, then I'd agree it goes further back than that. But this doesn't indicate deviation from the belief previously held as to when the characters were chosen. Because the new point of reference for some work being underway is a year later than what was already believed.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I have nothing against Lloyd, in fact, from what little I know about him he seems like a cool pick for smash, but I've never played a Tales game and have almost no point of reference to discuss Lloyd in any kind of meaningful way. I can google rudimentary information about the character/series but that doesn't really help to excite me about his inclusion.

Chun-Li is Chun-Li, literally one of the most popular and well-known video game characters of all time. I'm not even a diehard Street Fighter fan, more of a casual one, but it's hard not to absorb at least some knowledge of the series through cultural osmosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom