• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Actually, question. I've only played Sky FC, so what are the odds Sakurai would pick Rean over Estelle? I'd say it's a somewhat similar situation as Estelle's the one who started it all but Rean's from the biggest game in the franchise from what I can tell, especially with Cold Steel getting a whole extra game over Sky
Pretty much exactly like you said, Estelle is the icon and the protag of the first one and makes consistent cameos in future titles. While Rean is from the more popular games and there are more Cold Steel games than Sky games

Slightly Related:
Falcom's entire game catalog is currently on sale on Steam in case anyone is interested... most of their games can run on potatoes...

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if we do get a Tales rep regardless of who it is, I hope we get at least a couple tracks from games other than the one the fighter came from, like what Joker did with the Persona 3 and 4 music. The Tales franchise has so many great tracks, that only including one game's music would feel like a missed opportunity. For some examples of my favorite tracks from some of the games:

Symphonia: Fighting of the Spirit, Fatalize
Abyss: Meaning of Birth (an orchestral remix of Karma by Bump of Chicken, easily my favorite boss theme across the whole series), Awkward Justice, Finish the Promise
Vesperia: Fury Sparks, A Formidable Foe Stands In the Way, Ring a Bell (opening theme)
Xillia 2: For the Sake of Mutual Proof
Zestiria: any of the trial shrine themes (fire, water, earth, wind)
Berseria: Velvet's Theme, Shout Your Soul

I think expecting all of those games to get music if we get a Tales rep is too much, but I'd love to see at least one or two of the more well-known tracks, like Fighting of the Spirit, Fury Sparks, or Meaning of Birth.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, I have this weird feeling that, if we're getting a Tales of Rep, Llyod is going to become the "Geno" of the Tales of Series AS IN-
"Sakurai make a comment that want him playable/say he's the natural choice but he don't end up being playable replaced by the most well known character of the company/series in comparison."

I think it's gonna be how Sakurai did consider for a moment Bartz or Tina/Terra for the FF spot, the logical Nintendo Choice, but then went like "Lmao FF without Cloud, wtf am I doing." and take the most popular character fanwise
To be fair, Cloud is unambiguously the most iconic Final Fantasy character, if not the most iconic JRPG character period. I don't think there's a Tales character who is quite on Cloud's level.

On the flipside, while Yuri is by far more popular in the Tales fanbase, Lloyd is a far more popular request in the Smash fanbase. While Cloud didn't get as much support before his reveal, I don't think any other Final Fantasy character reached Lloyd's level of popularity either. This probably meant that Lloyd got a decent amount of requests on the ballot, which is probably what Nintendo would be looking at.

There's also the fact that Tales of Symphonia is still what broke the series out into the West. While Yuri has more popularity in the core Tales fanbase, Lloyd is still more popular with the Smash fanbase.
Everyone be like Lloyd v Yuri and I'm just sitting here objectively factually empirically correct saying Berseria best game; Velvet for Smash.
Remember, I'm the guy who came up with Velvet Theory. If we somehow manage to get her in, make sure to remember me.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I'd definitely argue that Yuri is closer to being the "Cloud" of Tales than Lloyd. FF7 is a lot more than the game that got the series popular in the west. That's really the only thing Symphonia is known for, not that I think it hurts Lloyd's chances all that much, I just feel Yuri could possibly have the edge here. Especially with how well Vesperia DE did, with the switch sales supposedly surpassing their expectations.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Slightly Related:
Falcom's entire game catalog is currently on sale on Steam in case anyone is interested...
I'll use this opportunity to shill Falcom's games as well. They're fun JRPGs with interesting stories.

Here's a tip for newcomers, playing Ys out of order is fine but if you play Trails out of order then I will beat you up (no seriously don't ruin the great world building and story build up throughout the series).

Also while this isn't related to Falcom I'll still shill anyways. Higurashi and Umineko are on sale on steam, if you're a fan of mystery VNs like Ace Attorney then you'll like these games.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This Lloyd vs Yuri talk got me wondering, would it at all be possible for there to be a Hero situation with Tales characters?

cothero

Smash Lord
I'd definitely argue that Yuri is closer to being the "Cloud" of Tales than Lloyd. FF7 is a lot more than the game that got the series popular in the west. That's really the only thing Symphonia is known for, not that I think it hurts Lloyd's chances all that much, I just feel Yuri could possibly have the edge here. Especially with how well Vesperia DE did, with the switch sales supposedly surpassing their expectations.
Damn, it took some for me to realize this Yuri character is actually a guy.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
While Cloud didn't get as much support before his reveal
Well this isn’t exactly true. I can assure you that a LOT of roster wishlists in Brawl were absolutely fluffed with Cloud. And even then Sakurai himself said “We got a lot of requests for Final Fantasy Characters but Cloud was 1/3 or 1/4 of all of them” meaning his was almost certainly the most requested FF character. Even if Black Mage was rather popular here on the boards it isn’t even comparable to Cloud’s popularity.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sharklord, "What is my purpose?"

You repost a leak

"Oh my god."
Yeah, I guess I'm just good at memorizing this kind of stuff. That, and I'm able to answer the question pretty well, so there isn't any real reason to hold off on it if I'm available.

Anyways, related song:

Ivander

Smash Legend
This Lloyd vs Yuri talk got me wondering, would it at all be possible for there to be a Hero situation with Tales characters?
Nope. While most of them wield swords, all of them wield them differently. And in the case for Lloyd, Lloyd has two swords, whereas all the others either only have the one or are Senel Coolidge, who uses his fists. And in the case for Yuri, he uses his sword, fists and feet for battling. Not to mention he casually places his sword over his shoulder while wielding it. A Hero scenario with the Tales protagonists does not work.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well this isn’t exactly true. I can assure you that a LOT of roster wishlists in Brawl were absolutely fluffed with Cloud. And even then Sakurai himself said “We got a lot of requests for Final Fantasy Characters but Cloud was 1/3 or 1/4 of all of them” meaning his was almost certainly the most requested FF character. Even if Black Mage was rather popular here on the boards it isn’t even comparable to Cloud’s popularity.

Ah, thanks for clarification. I assumed he didn't get as much because he was considered impossible.

I suppose that adds a bit more credence to Lloyd; Like Cloud, not only did his game make the series big, but he's also the most requested character for Smash.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Not really. Even if you took characters that use a single sword as a Hero-like template, the Artes they use would be totally different. With Dragon Quest, there's a common library of spells that are used across the series (with some variation from game to game), so all the Heroes could have the same spells for specials. With Tales, though, each character has their own set of Artes they learn. Aside from a couple overlapping moves, Lloyd, Yuri, Luke, Velvet, Asbel, etc. all have their own Arte trees, as well as their own Mystic Artes, which would undoubtedly be a Final Smash.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'll just say that We'll definitely get another Female Newcomer in this pass, unless they do a Super Smash Sisters tournament early

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I dunno. From what I can gather, Tales of Symphonia is still what made the series big, and not just in Japan. It fleshed out a lot of concepts and pushed the series into 3D. I feel like it's a bit more than just the Tales game that got the series attention from the West.

...These debates are going to make me into a Tales fan, aren't they?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, if we do get a Tales rep regardless of who it is, I hope we get at least a couple tracks from games other than the one the fighter came from, like what Joker did with the Persona 3 and 4 music. The Tales franchise has so many great tracks, that only including one game's music would feel like a missed opportunity. For some examples of my favorite tracks from some of the games:

Symphonia: Fighting of the Spirit, Fatalize
Abyss: Meaning of Birth (an orchestral remix of Karma by Bump of Chicken, easily my favorite boss theme across the whole series), Awkward Justice, Finish the Promise
Vesperia: Fury Sparks, A Formidable Foe Stands In the Way, Ring a Bell (opening theme)
Xillia 2: For the Sake of Mutual Proof
Zestiria: any of the trial shrine themes (fire, water, earth, wind)
Berseria: Velvet's Theme, Shout Your Soul

I think expecting all of those games to get music if we get a Tales rep is too much, but I'd love to see at least one or two of the more well-known tracks, like Fighting of the Spirit, Fury Sparks, or Meaning of Birth.
If this song doesn't get in we riot. You literally cannot have a more fitting name for Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the most likely gendered Online Tourney would be a battle of the sexes. That way you wouldn't have to worry about different gendered alts. Actually, the tournament could be exclusively characters with different gendered alts. So: :ultbowserjr::ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultsteve::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:

Or it could be all characters with a gender, which means it would be simpler to name the characters that can't participate. Those being: :ultmewtwo: :ultrob::ultpiranha: aaaaand that's it, unless you count Mega Man by virtue of him being a robot. There are other Pokémon that don't have defined genders, but Mewtwo is the only one that is straight-up genderless.

EDIT: I suppose Piranha Plant could technically be eligible for this tourney since flowers are considered to have both male and female parts, though I kinda doubt Piranha Plant works like a normal flower in that regard. lol

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. From what I can gather, Tales of Symphonia is still what made the series big, and not just in Japan. It fleshed out a lot of concepts and pushed the series into 3D. I feel like it's a bit more than just the Tales game that got the series attention from the West.

...These debates are going to make me into a Tales fan, aren't they?
It did! Maybe I dismissed it a little too quickly there with it only being a western thing. Symphonia is a very impactful entry in the series and set the standard for how the games would be structured all the way up until Zestiria (arguably graces). I think it has a bit more importance to the series history than Vesperia, but it definitely isn't as popular. Destiny, Abyss, and Vesperia are easily the most popular entries in the series, though I know Smash isn't exactly a popularity contest. I think it could go either way, Vesperia DE's performance may have pushed them to prioritize Yuri, or Symphonia's western appeal could've pushed them to prioritize Lloyd.

Edit: Although I forgot to mention, Destiny definitely did more for the series getting "big" in Japan than Symphonia. Its impact is more what it brought to the series, not exactly bringing the most people in.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I really really wish people wouldn’t sleep on a Dark Souls character. I feel like the series is up there as one of Namco-Bandai’s most important and trust me when I say that the music by itself would justify its inclusion. The games are absolutely ****ing packed with some of the most somber and dramatic battle themes I’ve ever heard

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Knight Artorias
Gaping Dragon
Executioner’s Chariot
Deacons of the Deep
Abyss Watchers (my personal favorite)
The Soul of Cinder

And that’s just scratching the surface of what the games offer.

The stages of the game could be some of the most jaw dropping of the game.
Anor Londo:

Probably one of the most iconic locations in the games. It’s a little hard to forget what you have to go through in this part of the game. No spoilers but I feel like this place is part of the reason Dark Souls has its infamy for being difficult.

Majula:

Majula is what you would consider your hub town in Dark Souls II and while it isn’t exactly anything more than a small coastal town it’s still a very gorgeous location in the game.
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley:

I don’t think there’s any way a photo could do Irithyll justice but this one is the best I could find. This is easily one of the most gorgeous scenes from Dark Souls III and goes down as one of my favorite areas of all of them and is easily my choice for a stage.

I would LOVE if it was a traveling stage that went through multiple locations through Dark Souls III because I feel like DS3 was when they REALLY hit gold with their environment design.
Aside from the somber beauty of the stages there’s also the character to take into account
I think there’s no way they won’t choose the Chosen Undead as the Smash character because of how they actually tie in, not only as the player character, but also as a giant part of the lore. But I also think they won’t just stick with the DS1 design for their alts so here’s my wishlist for their alts:
DS1 Basic Armor

DS2 Basic Armor Faraam:

Dark Souls 3 basic armor:

Solaire Armor:

Catarina Armor:

Knight Artorias Armor:

Soul of Cinder Armor:

Deprived:
And of course, because of how Dark Souls’ Weapon Swapping is, the potential for a moveset is limitless. To the point it can have scythes, swords, staves, daggers, bombs, pyromancy, axes, long swords, stance swapping, and on and on and on.

Edit: Dammit I accidentally hit post before I was done... Stand by.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Most characters that are women usually have something more to them than just being a girl even if we get an all girl tournament before the next character that doesn't say anything about the pass
Perhaps, or Perhaps not

I just think that the absence of a Super Bash Sisters Tournament, when it's probably an easy tourney to throw out there, Might suggest that at least one of our Next 3 newcomers is a Woman

It's the same reasoning for why I think we might get another Character that originated in the 2010's, Like Monokuma, Velvet, Freddy Fazbear, Apex Legends character, etc. The logic is that perhaps the 2010's tournament might be saved as the one of the newcomers' DLC Tournament, or the newcomer themselves will be present in the DLC Tournament

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I confess I'm conflicted on a new Capcom rep.

I've been a Capcom fan all my life. But after Megaman and Street Fighter, I have mixed feelings for about every character I can think of.

Nathan "Radd" Spencer:
My next most wanted, I'd love to have this guy, but I just can't stand another character with abysmal recovery.

Morrigan:
Always been a fan. But I feel she'd be another Shoto.

Dante:
I'm a huge fan of the series, but I just know he'll break the meta, like he always does imo.

Viewtiful Joe:
... Hey maybe I can't find anything wrong with him.

Arthur:
Not really a fan of G&G.

Monster Hunter:
Extremely interested in the series.
Not interested in the character.

Phoenix Wright:
I have no experience with it so I have no attachment. Hopefully objection counter won't get old quickly.

Samanosuke or Jubei:
Onimusha was my first PS2 game, so it's very dear to me. However, the characters themselves just don't look as interesting. Plus they're samurai, therefore, swordsmen. And although they can change weapons, I feel Ryu hayabusa coul do everything they can't only cooler.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nathan "Radd" Spencer:
My next most wanted, I'd love to have this guy, but I just can't stand another character with abysmal recovery.
Well with the emphasis on the Bionic Arm, he might have the best tether recovery in the game, perhaps even latching onto walls like the Melee Links. That'd be neat.

Morrigan:
She doesn't have an equivalent to Tastumaki Senpukyaku or Focus Attack, so she'd feel pretty unique next to Ryu and Ken, especially since what's replacing those two moves is a special air dash that she can act out of, and a command grab.

Phoenix Wright:
I have no experience with it so I have no attachment. Hopefully objection counter won't get old quickly.
That's not...

Crap that makes a ton of sense. Please don't make it a counter. Especially since you'd probably get some sort of stat penalty or something for not landing it. That would just be the worst.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I really really wish people wouldn’t sleep on a Dark Souls character. I feel like the series is up there as one of Namco-Bandai’s most important and trust me when I say that the music by itself would justify its inclusion. The games are absolutely ****ing packed with some of the most somber and dramatic battle themes I’ve ever heard

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Knight Artorias
Gaping Dragon
Executioner’s Chariot
Deacons of the Deep
Abyss Watchers (my personal favorite)
The Soul of Cinder

And that’s just scratching the surface of what the games offer.

The stages of the game could be some of the most jaw dropping of the game.
Anor Londo:

Probably one of the most iconic locations in the games. It’s a little hard to forget what you have to go through in this part of the game. No spoilers but I feel like this place is part of the reason Dark Souls has its infamy for being difficult.
Majula:

Majula is what you would consider your hun town in Dark Souls II and while it isn’t exactly anything more than a small coasta town it’s still a very gorgeous location in the game.
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley:

I don’t think there’s any way a photo could do Irithyll justice but this one is the best I could find. This is easily one of the most gorgeous scenes from Dark Souls III and goes down as one of my favorite areas of all of them and is easily my choice for a stage.

I would LOVE if it was a traveling stage that went through multiple locations through Dark Souls III because I feel like DS3 was when they REALLY hit gold with their environment design.
Aside from the somber beauty of the stages there’s also the character to take into account
I think there’s no way they won’t choose the Chosen Undead as the Smash character because of how he actually ties in, not only as the player character, but also as a giant part of the lore. But I also think they won’t just stick with the DS1 design for his alts so here’s my wishlist for his alts:
DS1 Basic Armor

DS2 Basic Armor Faraam:

Dark Souls 3 basic armor:

Solaire Armor:

Catarina Armor:

Knight Artorias Armor:

Soul of Cinder Armor:

Deprived:
And of course, because of how Dark Souls Weapon Swapping is, the potential for a moveset is limitless. To the point it can have scythes, swords, staves, daggers, bombs, pyromancy, axes, long swords, stance swapping, and on and on and on.

Edit: Dammit I accidentally hit post before I was done... Stand by.
I imagine a Dark Souls fighter as a sword/shield like Link or Hero, with the chance to switch between one or two hand sword use (if two hand, you can make more damage but less defense), plus a stamina bar, etus flask, homeward bone and bombs for his specials. You can also include the parry mechanic, similarly to Bayonetta.

His alts would be DS1,2 and 3 knights armours and a colour variation, alt 7 and 8 can be solaire and black knight amours (changing the name of the fighter, like Zombie or Enderman). Solaire is the most popular NPC and black knight is very iconic enemy.

I think they will choose as his stage Firelink Shrine, with tons of NPCs cameos depending which song you are playing, like Terry stage.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As of current, the most I expect would be a few additional individual DLC or a 4-Bundle Echo Pack.
I'd gladly take either.

Sounds like none of the objections to Chun-Li are... actually about Chun-Li.
Correct. My only objections to Chun Li are that other Capcom series deserve the spot, and Bison is a better SF pick.

If we're going with personal bias Capcom picks...
View attachment 296996

He's freaking cool, and has a theme to match.
I love him, but he can't get in before Arthur.

This means that he and Nintendo were sitting on the rights to Sephiroth for much longer than we previously thought.
...not really. They'd already said the pass was finalized by the time it was announced. That was well before FF7R was released.

IF number one Chunner gets in I hope her and her FP is based on 3rd Strike.
I hope it's based on SF4. Better music. Better Spirits.

The fact we haven't really had a "pure" mage character
People are saying this, but...Palutena's moveset is as magey as a moveset could be.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So as someone who LOVES the Souls series and any game that functions as one...it just doesn't feel right when I think about trying to consider a Souls rep.

I mean, there is easily enough going on to make a moveset to be sure, if you go for the Chosen Undead, but outside of that I feel like there really is no other options. Bosses don't have enough variety in their movesets to pull from unless you got really generic with them, and while there are ones more popular than others, it really feels like you would have to go with Chosen Undead.

I'm not even sure how you would properly represent game mechanics or difficulty, and while we do have darker characters like Sephiroth Dark Souls always feels like it just goes too far in tone from the happy-go-lucky feel of Smash being a kids party game, but I'll admit that's mostly just a personal thing.

My biggest thing is picking Dark Souls over Tales seems incredibly unlikely, and there are many other franchises Bamco has that they can pull from that feel more plausible than others. Just to name a few, they have:
  • God Eater
  • Katamari
  • Klonoa
  • Soul Calibur
  • Tales Of
  • Tekken
  • Xenosaga
Now that isn't to say I think I personally think some of these have a better chance than Souls, but some of these really do stand out. Tekken could still get a rep as it has many iconic characters, but unfortunately I think it's doomed to not happen due to how complex of a game it is in comparison to Smash. Soul Calibur on the other hand isn't nearly as complex and also has many iconic characters to pick from, so they are easily on the table. Xenosaga could be considered and people were REALLY pushing some KOS-MOS stuff earlier this year so there may be something there, Klonoa has a bit of a fan demand as well, and Tales needs no more introduction.

Once again, not impossible, but it really feels like Souls has a lot of competition.

As of current, the most I expect would be a few additional individual DLC or a 4-Bundle Echo Pack.
Sakurai has already stated that there won't be echoes.

I'm not sure why people keep bringing them up like anyone would pay for slightly-altered copies of existing characters.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I've been a Capcom fan all my life. But after Megaman and Street Fighter, I have mixed feelings for about every character I can think of.
Not me!

My Capcom addition order:

1. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
2. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
3. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
4. Dante [Devil May Cry]
5. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
6. Amaterasu [Okami]
7. Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
8. Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
9. Strider Hiryu [Strider]
10. Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
11. Zero [Mega Man X]
12. Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]

I would love to see like a Mii Wizard or smh
We need a Mii Mage so goddamn bad...

Ashley
Viridi
Lip
Veronica
Aerith
Kamek
Eggplant Wizard
Black Mage
White Mage
Magus

It just keeps going. If any gaming archetype needs a Mii after the first 3, it's wizards.

I'm not sure why people keep bringing them up like anyone would pay for slightly-altered copies of existing characters.
If people are willing to pay for Mii costumes, why the hell wouldn't they pay for Echoes?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I confess I'm conflicted on a new Capcom rep.

Nathan "Radd" Spencer:

Morrigan:

Dante:
I'm a huge fan of the series, but I just know he'll break the meta, like he always does imo.

Viewtiful Joe:
... Hey maybe I can't find anything wrong with him.

Arthur:
Not really a fan of G&G.

Monster Hunter:
Extremely interested in the series.
Not interested in the character.

Phoenix Wright:

Samanosuke or Jubei:
Onimusha was my first PS2 game, so it's very dear to me. However, the characters themselves just don't look as interesting. Plus they're samurai, therefore, swordsmen. And although they can change weapons, I feel Ryu hayabusa coul do everything they can't only cooler.
Let's tackle these one by one to celebrate Capcom, I'm skipping Joe, Arthur and MonHun because those are cases of personal opinions so there's not much to argue there. I'm also skipping the Onimusha characters as while the series is on my list, I have zero experience outside of TvC.

Bionic Commando's thing was swinging right? Have Spencer summon flying nodes or something like what everyone and their mother suggested for Simon's recovery.

Her fighting style isn't shotokan so she literally cannot be a Shoto.

This implies that A: Dante was broken in the MvC series which while he's good, he's not that good and B: that if Dante hypothetically does end up being too strong, that he can't get nerfed.

Objection can work by other means, be it a strong hit that can make you the best character in the game like MvC, or an armoured attack as you're 'objecting' to the pressure you're being given

Shroob

Sup?
Sakurai has already stated that there won't be echoes.

As others have said, people buy Mii costumes, and if they brought back some of the cut stages as paid DLC, you bet your ass people would buy that too. Hell, people would literally buy skins for existing characters if the option was available to them. Why wouldn't people buy echoes?

I'm not sold at all on there being any DLC after FP2, though open to the idea it could happen, but Echoes would 100% sell.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Objection can work by other means, be it a strong hit that can make you the best character in the game like MvC, or an armoured attack as you're 'objecting' to the pressure you're being given
"Objection!" and "Hold it!" would both make perfect smash attacks.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, maybe it's just me but man, this balance patch was weird. Normally we have these HUGE patches even if most of them all just boil down to "Made certain action easier to do globally", but this one had like, 5 things on it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom