• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The only sensible interpretation of the Byleth claim is if they pencilled in the spot for a new FE character, and when Sakurai talked to IS they told him the game wouldn't be ready for like three years, and then it was decided they'd just make the character eventual DLC.

But that's at a point so preliminary it's not Byleth being planned, is it. It's just a vague plan that didn't come together.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
... Who the **** is gonna get mad that the character they liked as an AT got upgraded to fighter?

"Oh man Shovel Knight's an Assist Trophy? That's awesome! I was hoping it would get something in Smash"

Shovel Knight announced as playable 3 years later

"SAKURAI YOU ASS"
I promise you; it'd just be a rip-off to fans of a character who was an AT.

"Oh, what;s that? You're happy Shovel Knight's in the game at all? WELL TOO ****ING BAD BECAUSE NOW YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM TO BE PLAYABLE WHEN THEY COULD'VE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE"

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Crackpot theory: the reason there are 6 fighters in FP2 is because Sakurai and Bamco really couldn't pick one of Yuri or Lloyd, so they put in both.
I've been saying this. It scarily matches up with other theories and things we've been noticing, such as there only being space for two more series' in the music section to make a square, or how if you look in the voice files there's four spots for voices but only three characters left. See, it's genius!

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

hey modder, I know you’re out there, release the got dang mod already
I have no proof so I can't name names but I'm like - damn certain I know who did it. I'm very active in modding circles and it all points to a few candidates that I was able to narrow down to one. At least, I'm like 99% sure of it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

"Oh, what;s that? You're happy Shovel Knight's in the game at all? WELL TOO ****ING BAD BECAUSE NOW YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM TO BE PLAYABLE WHEN THEY COULD'VE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE"
To be honest that's pretty much just every DLC character with an extra step

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Someone with a resetera account needs to ask Imran if he still believes we're either going to get Sora or Master Chief.
I have one, and for the record, he rarely responds to requests like he did today. He's also the one that broke the news that negotiations for Sora failed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have no proof so I can't name names but I'm like - damn certain I know who did it. I'm very active in modding circles and it all points to a few candidates that I was able to narrow down to one. At least, I'm like 99% sure of it.
Ohhhhhhh this is getting INTERESTING

ZelDan

Smash Master

As someone who had Isaac and Shovel Knight as MWs, I assure you I would not be upset at all with either being promoted into a playable fighter.

Or Zero, Alucard or Lyn for that matter.

because I understand that plans can change and that Nintendo not adding said characters in the first place, or making them playable later, had any malice behind it. It wouldn't similar to some scummy "intentionally hold back content and sell it later" scheme

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I have one, and for the record, he rarely responds to requests like he did today. He's also the one that broke the news that negotiations for Sora failed.
Fair enough but all this is is asking him if he still holds an opinion he already expressed. It's not like running down a list of every possible candidate.

7NATOR

Smash Master

When I see people clamor for Waluigi on Here, Youtube, etc, I don't get the impression they'd be mad that Waluigi was added as DLC when he was already Assist, and this goes for other Popular Characters like Isaac, Shadow, Shovel Knight, etc

I think Fans of those characters are more frustrated that their character is considered Deconfirmed and has no Shot at DLC.

DBFZ fans paid for Android 17 Despite him being in Andorid 18's moveset, and that's a stronger case since he plays a Very active role in her moveset. I'm sure Smash fans would be hype about Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, etc

Louie G.

Smash Hero
He is also said that he thinks we will not get a new Capcom rep. Though, maybe is just pure speculation.
Sounds like speculation to me. I mean, yes on a personal level I want it to be speculation because I really want a new Capcom character. But he also emphasized "think" which is to say he's probably not 100% sure about the remaining three either.

As someone pointed out here, he was pretty confident in Sora and Master Chief. I don't think we'll be seeing either of those two in this batch, so I dunno. I'm sure there's plenty he doesn't know and some stinkers within his batch of info that may or may not pan out.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

As a supporter of 30 characters who are Assist Trophies I'm gonna call bull**** on this

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
FWIW Imran certainly seems to have legitimate connections; he's not full of rubbish. But I wouldn't look at him as some oracle, just - somebody with insider connections that can be shaky in terms of accuracy.
At least he admits not everything he says is gospel unlike Zippo who has a hissy fit when called out on his bull****.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
The idea that Byleth was suppose to be in the base roster is pretty interesting since Three Houses was originally suppose to release in 2018, possibly within just a few weeks within of Smash Ultimate's release, but then the delay to Spring and then July happened.
If this tells us anything it is that Rex got shafted hard.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My opinion and reasoning has fluctuated over the months but I don't think they will be upgraded not because it's a slap in the face but because I don't think the characters that are assists have a good chance of getting in as DLC.

Also I'm salty that Tiki would never be promoted.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I can't tell you how angry I'd be if Isaac was upgraded.

Is angry the right word?

What's the word for really really ecstatically overjoyed that a character I've wanted for almost twenty years is playable? Is it furious?

Yeah I'd be furious.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It sounds like Byleth was supposedly chosen somewhere from late 2016-early 2017 to fill in the gap that the previous character left, and then scrapped later because they couldn't complete the extra character anyway. I think that might be feasible, however, it implies that they worked on a character before they finished negotiations. That I believe is something they would not do, as if they fell through, then you would have wasted dev time as is in this scenario. Even if they tried to fix that by adding Byleth, that would create a wonky mess just like Roy since he would be more of a rush job, and his moveset wouldn't fit him because he's an Echo Fighter of someone that isn't even in his series.

That's not even the truth. They didn't get in because they were either out-prioritized, or they weren't seen fit to add in the first place. Assist Trophies are also not necessarily next in line as we've seen with only Little Mac, Dark Samus, and Isabelle getting upgrades even though there are a bunch more with relatively high fan demand. Furthermore, the base roster and the DLC roster aren't even picked at the same time, so if they decide to add an Assist Trophy character given the extra time and resources, then it doesn't really have anything to do with base roster considerations.

If they were supposed to be playable in the first place, and had enough material to become an Assist Trophy, then I'd wager they'd just finish them as DLC rather than spending time reworking the code to have the character be controlled by a pattern based AI.

I.D.

Smash Lord
As others have mentioned, Byleth being planned for the base game in advance sounds highly dodgy, seeing as ARMS and XC2 reps were ditched because they came out too late and Three Houses was still going to release later than them, even before the delay.
How is it dodgy? We already know TH got favoritism treatment... sorry "the timing was just right" for DLC, with Sakurai playing beta versions of the game. Why wouldn't it be the same for base game had the game not been delayed?

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
i think we should consider what other characters byleth could've eaten as well

anyone with a lot of weapons or one of the specific weapons byleth uses could fit the bill so whip sword, Axe, spear and bow users could have been eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom