• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Again, saying you've heard Sephiroth and Steve is literally meaningless, especially when you yourself didn't believe they were coming.
Regardless of if you believed it or didn't, those are two characters that literally everyone had heard floating around thanks to Vergeben and the Square list.

That's like if Ryu Hayabusa gets in and he said he had heard Ryu Hayabusa floating around. Everyone has heard Ryu Hayabusa floating around, but if you then claim that info isn't credible, you don't get credit when it turns out you were wrong. If anything, it's the opposite, because you dismissed its validity earlier. It highlights your lack of credibility.

You guys need to stop being lead around so easily.
Indeed! I don't get out of bed for anything less than an exact Min-Min -> Steve -> Sephiroth prediction, and even then I'm still extremely skeptical.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we are going to get a 2nd Xenoblade rep in this game, I think it's going to be Elma. Some of the recent DLC fighters have brought empty areas that wasn't in the base game like:

- Byleth bringing Three Houses content.

- Min Min bringing Arms music.

- Sephiroth bringing more FF Spirits besides Cloud.

You what else is missing from the game? Xenoblade X music. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but to me Elma looks pretty likely.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Curious stuff Imran just dropped about Ultimate, this in reply to a 4chan leak that says the next characters are Tails, Raiden and Crash (the leak its fake):
  • Sephiroth is cheaper than he usually is as a recommendation from SE, but not because of Hero
  • Byleth has a decent bit of the moveset of a character that didn't make it due to negotiations falling through, but Byleth was supposed to be in the main roster and were moved to DLC well before the game came out, they weren't a late replacement. 3 Houses was meant to release before Ultimate (this last thing is correct as we know that originally FE 3H was going to be released at 2018).
  • Min Min was indeed partly because it's easier to get Nintendo characters

btw, its amazing how much Imran knows about ultimate development, its as almost he works inside Bandai-Namco.
I know Imran is well regarded but reserving a spot for Byleth when the base roster was constructed in 2015 and then probably not being able to actually implement the character until much closer to launch really stands opposed to how development typically works. Even the Pokemon who have spots reserved for them end up releasing only a year after the roster was decided, not (as was intended) three, or as was in reality, four.

Especially given that DLC was probably intended from the outset this time, this claim really doesn't make too much sense to me. And keep in mind he couldn't add a character like Rex due to being too late to make it, and that game released a year earlier than 3H's targeted release.

Faso115

Smash Lord
...so wait does this just confirm the theory that Byleth really did eat Monster Hunter for their moveset?
Considering how weary the monhun devs tend to be about the Hunter coupled with the fact that they think the monsters are more emblematic makes me think they shot down the idea of the Hunter.

Shroob

Sup?
I find it curious that this claim drops now of all times right as the Chun Leak comes to a head.

But IF IT'S REAL, then that basically knocks Monster Hunter completely out of the running for March's DLC slot(And DLC in general), which would be enormous.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You what else is missing from the game? Xenoblade X music. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but to me Elma looks pretty likely.
Persona's mother franchise who has somehow dodged even being in as a spirit which is weird considering Jack Frost is their company mascot.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Despite being fairly credible, Imran makes his fair share of dubious claims that can't really be corroborated because they're regarding behind-the-scenes developments that will never be addressed by the people they're about.

Like, his claim about Pass 2 being decided mere days before the presumed filming of that announcement is also pretty questionable.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I find it curious that this claim drops now of all times right as the Chun Leak comes to a head.

But IF IT'S REAL, then that basically knocks Monster Hunter completely out of the running for March's DLC slot(And DLC in general), which would be enormous.
latest(169).png

Slowly but surely, the competition thins out.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's that then.

Especially given I recall they were hesitant adding Monster Hunter even into Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite who eventually became DLC.

Out Monster Hunter goes then! Come on Phoenix Wright!!!!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's still ****ing funny this drops ****ing NOW of all times.

Hell, the Chun Leak hasn't even spread to other parts of the net, nor have any leak YouTubers covered it afaik, and then just, this.
Well, nothing really get's spread around until other people start spreading the word about it.

Shroob

Sup?
As others have mentioned, Byleth being planned for the base game in advance sounds highly dodgy, seeing as ARMS and XC2 reps were ditched because they came out too late and Three Houses was still going to release later than them, even before the delay.
But at the same time, this is the first Smash game since Melee that didn't have a new Fire Emblem character(That wasn't an Echo). People joke that Fire Emblem and Pokemon get RSVP spots in Smash, but honestly? I can kinda see it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know Imran is trustworthy but these are some big claims. I'm not sure if I can believe them, particularly Byleth being planned 3 years before Three Houses was due for release. Not only does that sound unlikely, but it flies in the face of the timing issues that Sakurai cited as keeping out Rex. And honestly, these, along with many of Imran's claims, kinda reach the level of "how would you know this?" in terms of how high up the info would need to be coming from.

If it's real, then no skin off my back, I was already iffy on Monster Hunter anyway, but I dunno.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
As others have mentioned, Byleth being planned for the base game in advance sounds highly dodgy, seeing as ARMS and XC2 reps were ditched because they came out too late and Three Houses was still going to release later than them, even before the delay.
Yeah. The closest thing I can see is during the time base was being developed, Sakurai was told about 3H being worked on (which must've been in quite early stages, probably before anything was useable), and they allocated a spot in the eventual DLC pass for it.

I could see them doing that before going to acquire the four third-parties (though it sounds like Hero was part of negotiations quite early). But I can't see them intending a 3H character for base, a full three years before the game was meant to arrive. That's triple the time than for Pokemon placeholders.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
But at the same time, this is the first Smash game since Melee that didn't have a new Fire Emblem character(That wasn't an Echo). People joke that Fire Emblem and Pokemon get RSVP spots in Smash, but honestly? I can kinda see it.
Yeah, but three years in advance? When other games were too new to be represented despite being older than Three Houses? That's just pushing it.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean the only way it would make sense is to suggest that Fire Emblem was getting some sort of notable treatment by the Smash development team vs that of other franchises...

...and there's no chance fans would immediately assume that right? 😉

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
You guys, when the base roster was being created, Fates wasn't even out globally yet. 3H development was probably in its infancy.

It's not a matter of preferential treatment, it's a matter of logistics of adding a character four years before their debut.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know Imran is trustworthy but these are some big claims. I'm not sure if I can believe them, particularly Byleth being planned 3 years before Three Houses was due for release. Not only does that sound unlikely, but it flies in the face of the timing issues that Sakurai cited as keeping out Rex. And honestly, these, along with many of Imran's claims, kinda reach the level of "how would you know this?" in terms of how high up the info would need to be coming from.

If it's real, then no skin off my back, I was already iffy on Monster Hunter anyway, but I dunno.
If anything, the only FE characters I could realistaclly see being planned for base Ultimate are:
  • Corrin or Azura due to recency at the time (assuming the former wasn't DLC in Smash 4)
  • Alm or Celica, since
    • Echoes' development started in 2015, shortly after Fates released in Japan
    • Alm and Celica are both Famicom characters at heart, since Echoes is a remake of 1992's Fire Emblem Gaiden

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like I said before.

We'll know in March.

Between Rise in March, and SF2's 30th anniversary in March, March will be a big month.
March is also when the Mario 35th anniversary celebration ends and Nintendo takes down those Mario 35th games off of Switch Online forever. Maybe Waluigi will be announce in March if he's in the Fighter's Pass.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Curious stuff Imran just dropped about Ultimate, this in reply to a 4chan leak that says the next characters are Tails, Raiden and Crash (the leak its fake):
  • Sephiroth is cheaper than he usually is as a recommendation from SE, but not because of Hero
  • Byleth has a decent bit of the moveset of a character that didn't make it due to negotiations falling through, but Byleth was supposed to be in the main roster and were moved to DLC well before the game came out, they weren't a late replacement. 3 Houses was meant to release before Ultimate (this last thing is correct as we know that originally FE 3H was going to be released at 2018).
  • Min Min was indeed partly because it's easier to get Nintendo characters

btw, its amazing how much Imran knows about ultimate development, its as almost he works inside Bandai-Namco.
Sephiroth makes sense, with Smash being the big series that it is I can see them lowering the price to get him in.

Byleth taking some character's moveset is... interesting to say the least. Monster Hunter is the most picked choice, but if that's the case then I wonder what the original moveset would've been since Byleth's is still draws heavily from FE in how it was done and there's a number of elements that don't really gel with how the Hunter works. Nonetheless if true and it was meant to be the character, I wouldn't count on the Hunter unless Sakurai managed to convince the team to give the idea a second chance between base game and FP2.

On the note of Byleth being intended for base game, that's a bold point I have to say. ARMs and XC2 and both were rejected due to timing and TH was going to release later then both even with the initial plan of 2018, so going by the former two it shouldn't even be a consideration. Yet if Imran is right, Byleth was intended to be added anyway. The only way I could reason it is that Sakurai's original statement of 'we wanted a character from a game people were playing at the moment' when used for Byleth was meant to be applied for the base game as well as TH probably would've released in the summer of Ultimate's release year, but still that's a hard pill to swallow.

I find his follow-up post here interesting as well, as it implies that the MH team are still do not like the idea of the Hunter being a character in crossovers:

...if it's true, of course.
Ironically, it seems that Infinite was the game that poisoned that well despite the team allowing the character.

So Infinite just keeps losing huh?

dream1ng

Smash Champion
We didn't get Micaiah in Brawl, we didn't get Corrin in 4's base, and those two released much closer to (or before) their respective Smash games than 3H. From a timing perspective, it just doesn't make sense.

We did get Roy, but he was a clone, and not part of the original plan. And his game released four months after Melee, not four years.

Yeah, Imran... when it comes to this claim...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, if the Spirit fan rule can die than so can the Assist Trophy fan rule. Sakurai decides the rules of the game not us.
If we're getting an AT I'm predicting Isaac for his fan requests or Shovel Knight for being emblematic of modern indies. Waluigi is, for better or worse, just Waluigi, and I don't think he'd have enough content to round out a Challenger Pack.

Shroob

Sup?
We didn't get Micaiah in Brawl, we didn't get Corrin in 4's base, and those two released much closer to (or before) their respective Smash games than 3H. From a timing perspective, it just doesn't make sense.

We did get Roy, but he was a clone, and not part of the original plan. And his game released four months after Melee, not four years.

Yeah, Imran... when it comes to this claim...

Why not someone ask him directly.

If Imran is our one source of actually good info, then I'm sure he'd have something to back up his claims.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The "Byleth was planned for base and ate Monster Hunter" is a rumor Fatman has been trying to pedal all year. It was bull**** then and it's bull**** now. It makes zero sense with Min Min in Pass 2 and Rex as a Mii. I don't trust Imran's source as far as I can throw him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom