• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You mean like how any assist trophies were ever promoted in the same previous Smash games?

Oh wait...

Wake up dude. Like it or not characters like Waluigi is gonna have to wait until Smash game. There's also a difference between spirits and assists. The former being basically just an image as oppose to assists that are already model animations of characters already made.
As DLC, specifically.

I can't stress this enough; promoting an Assist Trophy in the same game as being an Assist Trophy is just a needless waste of dev time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I believe a Assist Trophy can get promoted in the same game that they're Assist Trophy. It just hasn't happen yet.
Like it or not characters like Waluigi is gonna have to wait until Smash game. There's also a difference between spirits and assists. The former being basically just an image as opposed to assists that are already model animations of characters already made. Assist promotions is wishful thinking and those in denial that people can't accept their character being deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I imagine being Sakurai and wanting to surprise even more and I would go with this:

FP9: Yoshimitsu, representing both Tekken and Soulcalibur. Incredible amount of content, he has 8 different costumes based on all his appearances throughout both franchises (main one is his classic attire with the oni mask, then OG Tekken, Tekken 3 light saber, Soul 2, his weird squid one, etc).
He also comes, for the first time so far, with TWO stages, both pretty basic being from fighting games, one from Tekken and one from Soulcalibur. It is implied their simplicity has been chosen with competitive play in mind. Music is abundant as well, like Terry.
He also gets two spirit boards, one for Tekken and one for Soulcalibur. All Mii costumes are referencing characters from both franchises.
Sword user again for sure, but moveset is very interesting: Katana copter, pogo stick, medidation actually making him recover some health, etc. It is mostly based on Soulcalibur, but the character has some references to Tekken as well with certain sound effects.

FFP10: CJ from Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. Probably the most outlandish wanted newcomer in my wishlist, he comes with a San Andreas stage of course. Mostly a comedic character, his animations more closely remember old GTA resulting in goofy violence, he has a few real guns but they are tweaked to look more ridiculous. The "here we go again" meme is referenced without the profanity of course as his entrance. Final smash is a tank, similar to the Landmaster but shorter, appears like a cheat code. He has actual ammo counters for all his weapons, the gimmick is that the more he uses projectiles and loses them, the weaker he becomes. Music is mostly licensed from Rockstar directly, and mii fighters are other major GTA protagonists (Tommy, Big Smoke, etc).

FP11: Crash Bandicoot just because now everyone thinks the last one will be mindblowing as well lol. Includes Spyro as a surprising assist trophy

Sakurai announces a final fighter pass consisting exclusively of reduced priced echo fighters, to be released faster and "fill some gaps", they are:

• Coco Bandicoot as Crash's echo releasing alongside him
  • Dixie Kong as Diddy's, more of a Ryu/Ken deal
  • Shadow as Sonic's
  • The Boss as Snake, her rocket launcher is a sniper and has different animations, weaker but faster
  • Medusa as Palutena's, she uses some of her cut moves from Smash 4

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As DLC, specifically.

I can't stress this enough; promoting an Assist Trophy in the same game as being an Assist Trophy is just a needless waste of dev time.
But there are some Assist Trophies like Waluigi, Skull Kid and Ashley who have been Assist Trophies since Brawl or Smash 4. Those Assist Trophies that were ported or redone I believe has a chance of getting promoted.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But there are some Assist Trophies like Waluigi, Skull Kid and Ashley who have been Assist Trophies since Brawl or Smash 4. Those Assist Trophies that were ported or redone I believe has a chance of getting promoted.
Since it hasn't happened in previous games it won't happen here.

Smash 6 it is for those characters potentially having their chance. Again wishful thinking and people in denial unable to accept their character being deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You know, since we’re bringing up old speculation stuff, I’ve got to ask...

Did “Jane” ever amount to anything? I can’t seem to recall if the speculation community concluded it to be a scrapped Kasumi alt/echo for Joker or something else.
I actually have a conspiracy theory about Ms. Jane Hairbones.

Now that Cloud has shown that Sakurai can and will give alt costumes aesthetically different Final Smashes, I could see him adding Kasumi as a DLC costume for Joker and changing All-Out Attack so that Kasumi's finishing screen shows up at the end.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so im hearing MonHun got pretty much deconfirmed by Imran?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like it or not characters like Waluigi is gonna have to wait until Smash game. There's also a difference between spirits and assists. The former being basically just an image as opposed to assists that are already model animations of characters already made. Assist promotions is wishful thinking and those in denial that people can't accept their character being deconfirmed.

Smash 6 it is for those characters potentially having their chance. Again wishful thinking and people in denial unable to accept their character being deconfirmed.
You are just a random person on the Internet and so am I. Like I said, we don't make the rules Sakurai does.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Imran's stuff sounds really dumb NGL. Like, Byleth planned for base, shifted to DLC as a replacement sounds absurd no matter how you approach the issue (it also plays into a semi-common knock against Byleth because if Byleth is a replacement it "justifies their inclusion" to people who'd still argue any character they don't like is a replacement). It sounds insane and there's not really any proof of it, and even Imran doesn't really sound like he believes it TBH.

I still have my doubts about Monster Hunter getting in, but I don't think it relates to Byleth at all for sure and I don't see how anything Imran has said rules them out.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
As DLC, specifically.

"Promoting a spirit in the same game as a being a spirit is just a needless waste of dev time" :ultminmin

"Promoting a final smash cameo in the same game as a being a final smash cameo is just a needless waste of dev time" :ultchrom:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

RIP Monster Hunter. Imran is pretty solid as a source so I'm inclined to believe him, as iffy as some of the Byleth stuff sounds. Putting in a new FE lord just because is lame as hell but something Sakurai does so it's not surprising. This could kill the Hayabusa rumors as well tbh, assuming his talks with KT were always for info on Byleth even years in advance. Min Min being in because first parties are easier to get is interesting; could mean one more is in the pipeline assuming they couldn't negotiate for enough 3rd parties to fill out the pass (although she could be the only one but it'd be a bit weird since she opened it imo).

ZelDan

Smash Master
Promoting a spirit in the same game as a being a spirit is just a needless waste of dev time :ultminmin

Promoting a final smash cameo in the same game as a being a final smash cameo is just a needless waste of dev time :ultchrom:
Promoting a trophy in the same game as being a trophy is just a waste of dev time :4mewtwo::4lucas:

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
People arguing that Byleth couldn't have been decided in 2015 ignoring "Pokémon from X and Y" and "Pokémon from Sun and Moon" were considerations for Smash 4 and Ultimate.
No we aren't. Those games released a single year after the roster was decided. The Pokemon games would've been far enough in development to have much more useable assets, and the Smash game would still be adding the character early enough, even if a year later, that it wouldn't precipitate the development issues that come from adding full unique characters late in development.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Also, Monster Hunter was replaced by Byleth is now just going to be the new kind of ****ty theory peddled by people pretending to be in the know I feel like. It's absolutely going to be a situation of confirmation bias pushing people to put more stock in an unproven idea more than they regularly would too. Like Imran even says his information could be bull****, which is a huge departure from him saying Sora would be out super definitively multiple times with absolute confidence.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I can't believe someone said this unironically lmao
I don't care. It's just a big "**** you" to the people who accepted that character as an AT.
... Who the **** is gonna get mad that the character they liked as an AT got upgraded to fighter?

"Oh man Shovel Knight's an Assist Trophy? That's awesome! I was hoping it would get something in Smash"

Shovel Knight announced as playable 3 years later

"SAKURAI YOU ASS"

Untouch

Smash Master
Not sure I totally buy it, but IF real, it makes me think...
1. Nintendo got the rights to use MH in Smash and started developing Hunter and Rathalos.
2. Deal fell through, MH team didn't want to have Hunter in the game, allowed Rathalos.
3. Instead of scrapping stuff, they reused base to make Byleth, may have wanted base roster but was moved to DLC.

So either...
1. They decided to call it there, MH is done in Smash and we aren't getting anything else. I'd say this is the likely outcome.
2. MH was put on the backburner for the time being, DLC pack 1 was already decided, they're moving MH to DLC pack 2 and representing with a monster or palico, or trying a hunter again.

The only thing that makes me think that MH was moved to DLC 2 (and this is very wishful thinking) is that the lack of spirits and the mii costumes aren't back yet.
in other words its great maccao's time to shine

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Precedent certainly looms over characters who are assist trophies as their greatest obstacle. I don't think it's at all likely. However, and I've said it before, but if the people upstairs really wanted any given character, an assist trophy is not going to stop them. Though, granted, I'm not thinking we're gonna see any AT upgrades in this pass - if at all in Ultimate's DLC. I'm just saying they will break precedent if they want to put in somebody badly enough.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The Byleth thing isn't thaaaat crazy. The roster was finalized in 2015 and they probably penciled in "New Fire Emblem Protagonist" I assume they knew that Ultimate would release after the Switches launch so they were probably just looking forwards, and Around 2015 Three Houses was probably in pre production so they might have just been waiting until Three Houses was more concrete and then Three Houses was delayed to 2019 so they set Byleth aside for DLC. It's not the craziest thing out there.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Min Min fact is obvious.

The Sephiroth fact doesnt mean much aside from an improved relationship between Nintendo and Square which we can already see.

The Byleth fact... doesn't make sense.

7NATOR

Smash Master

I'll be honest

Arguing based on Precedent is the Worst thing you can do right now, Since our last Three characters have broken Precedents set by Smash (No Spirits, Company can't get more than 1 character in DLC (though this one wasn't as strongly believed), No Unique secondary 3rd party reps)

I could see why Assists might not be Promoted, perhaps because the Dev team feels some of the Assist Characters are good enough as assists, or something like that, but that Also goes hand in hand with a Character's Merits

This argument of Assists can't be promoted because "It hasn't happened yet" not only ignores a Character's Merits, but I would say is you being in Denial, since Precedent is the one thing that has been broken many times this DLC Speculation Period.

and of course, this doesn't mean we will get an Assist Promotion, but I think you got to keep more of an Open mind I say. In any case, that's my stance

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I actually have a conspiracy theory about Ms. Jane Hairbones.

Now that Cloud has shown that Sakurai can and will give alt costumes aesthetically different Final Smashes, I could see him adding Kasumi as a DLC costume for Joker and changing All-Out Attack so that Kasumi's finishing screen shows up at the end.
Would be cool to have something like this as a free update alongside a Demifiend challenger pack, like with ver. 5 Omnislash and Sephiroth.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm honestly really annoyed that Imran is perpetuating a bunch of Monster Hunter related fan theories that I still consider to be complete BS but now everyone is gonna start touting around again LOL.

I mean say what you want about Byleth taking some of MH's moveset... I don't buy that either, but man did he really have to say the whole "MH devs are upset with their portrayal in MVCI" thing? I've searched literally everywhere for this source that everyone seems to treat as common knowledge and the only thing I've found was that single interview back in 2011 for MVC3.

If that was true though, and Sakurai would have known it, why would a Monster Hunter be planned in the first place? How would they have gotten far enough to repurpose moves at all? There are so many holes to this where I think there absolutely needs to be either a misunderstanding on our part (it isn't MH at all) or a bad game of telephone.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Crackpot theory: the reason there are 6 fighters in FP2 is because Sakurai and Bamco really couldn't pick one of Yuri or Lloyd, so they put in both.
If you download both Lloyd and Yuri's packs you get an entire Tales of Berseria pack on your system as a bonus. There is no escaping the unstoppable wave of Tales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom