• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know nothing about Touhou, but I feel like this bit alone would take up at least three anime seasons...

Also, I was gonna make a Danganronpa joke, but Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura beat me to it.
Yep, that's Touhou for you. Jacked power levels, concept-based abilities, and increasingly fricky plotlines, all told through demented bullet hell.

SKX31

Smash Master
I wouldn't be opposed to more female villains in principle, but I think it's kinda telling that most characters who are being brought up for that role are either unfeasible as a fighter (Mother Brain, Carmilla, etc.) or are relatively minor in the grand scheme in their series (Suzie, Lusamine, etc.). The only two I think could really be added organically are Medusa, Gruntilda, and Dr. Coyle, but I don't see another Kid Icarus or Banjo-Kazooie character coming anytime soon, while ARMS has at least 3 or 4 fighters that would most likely need to be added before Coyle could be a realistic option.

I think the issue is that Nintendo (and I guess gaming as a whole) needs more female villains, who could then be translated into Smash. I'm definitely down for more female baddies, but I'd want their inclusion to feel somewhat genuine and not like they're being included to check off a box.
I did mention Kerrigan, and hoo boy. Sure, StarCraft's writing has never been the greatest (it's painfully evident even in StarCraft I's campaign, even if II's campaign is not better at all), but she got the nickname "Queen of Blades" for a reason.

No, she's not the likliest partly because Blizzard happens to share the same house as Activision (and even then, Blizzard has some more strictly well-known characters)...

But I'm not just supporting her since she could potentially summon Starship Trooper bugs Tyranids Zerg creatures / the ground-controlling Creep to do a bunch of stuff for her (including the standard Zergling rush KEKEKEKEKEKE), but also since she could be a unique take on a (super)heavy. And if we add in elements from her human Ghost (Sniper) past... guess what Ghosts come with in StarCraft?

Nuclear Launch Detected.

I'll do you one better:

Edelgard is the best House Leader.
Choosing between three options

• Edelgard
  • Dmitri
  • Claude
  • JOIN SMASH AND BORROW ALL THREE LEADERS' WEAPONS

Byleth certainly has his / her priorities straight. :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Im completely open to any new pokemon as long as is non bipedal.

Imo Corviknight, the doggo legendaries and dragapult are prime choices IMO.
Tee hee.

I know what you mean, but birds are bipedal animals.

Choosing between three options

• Edelgard
  • Dmitri
  • Claude
  • JOIN SMASH AND BORROW ALL THREE LEADERS' WEAPONS

Byleth certainly has his / her priorities straight. :4pacman:
Corrin also decided to join Smash instead of choosing between his birth family and the one who raised him.

Join Smash is best choice confirmed?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We could talk about how there are more characters in Smash who use fishing rods than spears.
This is all to lead up to our next character related to the fishing rod, a certain beloved Falcom character, from the critically acclaimed Trails series

THAT'S RIGHT WE'RE GETTING THE BRUH FISH NEXT
EY5jFkkXQAAV5MQ.jpg

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Yikes. Dude, Chun-li is a little girl at heart. If you think Ryu and Heihachi are going jump around like a giddy school girl after winning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5ldhp2v8s then you are out of your damn mind. Don't play the sexism card. Chun-li isn't bad ass like they are. In fact the reason she gets so much woman is because she's a woman, not depsite it.
Buddy, you can stop digging this hole anytime, you know.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Going into Smash Speculation, I need to ask a question

If we're bringing up Rumors and stuff from the Past, What about the rumors around Katalina from Granblue Fantasy?

The rumors came from that Hitagi guy, who also talked about Steve Model and predicted other stuff too, Though I believe he said no Atlus character and well... Still It was said the negotiations were dropped apparently, but do you think anything more could have came out of it, like a Spirit event or Costume, or perhaps Negotiations got brought back?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

If we're bringing up Rumors and stuff from the Past, What about the rumors around Katalina from Granblue Fantasy?

The rumors came from that Hitagi guy, who also talked about Steve Model and predicted other stuff too, Though I believe he said no Atlus character and well... Still It was said the negotiations were dropped apparently, but do you think anything more could have came out of it, like a Spirit event or Costume, or perhaps Negotiations got brought back?
Katalina feels like bait to me tbh

the mainline GBF (a gacha) is technically only available in Japan (albeit with an English language option). we do have spinoffs like the fighting game released in the west but... its fanbase is largely internet savvy people, not so much the mainstream

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It somehow reeled it's way into TV as well

Also the aforementioned BASS POG from Zero No Kiseki

And Estelle even does it

Trails confirm
Can't believe you've given me the headcanon of Urataros being a Trails stan, his favourite character is Olivier as they're both womanizers. (Or is Olivier an everyone-izer? Idk what the term should be then)

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Warning Issued
Buddy, you can stop digging this hole anytime, you know.
I had dropped this but whatever. I think you believe you sound smart, but you look really dumb.

What about jumping around like a hyperactive teenager is cool? If you're not able to make an intelligible response, then just don't feed the fire.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What I really want to see with the remainder of this pass is an already represented franchise receive a new character. However, I'd like this to be a franchise that could really use it. Of course, that criteria is completely up to debate and is subjective, but this is just my opinion. Here's the franchises I think, as of Ultimate's current state, do not need any more representation:
  • Mario (including Wario and Yoshi): Practically everyone noteworthy is here. The only significant Mario staple who isn't on the roster is Waluigi, and I don't think we'll be missing out on a huge part of Mario history if he isn't added (as much as I'd like him).
  • Donkey Kong: I get it, Dixie would be a treat and she's a huge fan favorite. However, I think DK is doing just fine. The two most consistent characters are represented, along with the "main" antagonist (I use quotations because time will tell if K. Rool will truly return to his former glory).
  • Kirby: The main consistent trio is here. Another character would be nice, but I don't think Kirby is really dying for another character. I'd love Bandana Waddle Dee, but I think Kirby is fine with just the puff, Dedede, and Meta Knight.
  • Star Fox: I don't find this series to be necessarily huge. I think what he have here is just fine. You got the main protagonist, his right-hand man, and a feasible antagonist (since Andross wouldn't really be applicable to fighter status, similarly to Giygas). I also don't think Slippy or Peppy's inclusion would add anything new to the movesets that Star Fox characters already have.
  • F-Zero: F-Zero is all about one thing: speed. I think Captain Falcon, for a character who never leaves his car in his own games, encapsulates the spirit of F-Zero perfectly. I feel like adding another F-Zero character who isn't an echo would be redundant. I believe F-Zero has to return to the spotlight before it can warrant a DLC character.
  • Metroid: I think everyone who needs to be here is already here. The protagonist in both of her iconic forms, the most iconic antagonist, and a fan-favorite antagonist as an echo. I think Metroid is just fine with the representation it has.
  • EarthBound: For a cult-classic, somewhat niche JRPG franchise, I think Mother fans have been spoiled with the amount of representation they get in Smash. Ness and Lucas cover the bases pretty well considering the status of the series. Ninten would be redundant to me, Porky would be excellent. However, I don't think the series really needs another character.
  • Fire Emblem: No, not because "anime swordsman bad" or "FE bad." FE representation in Smash covers a wide range of its history, going from the very beginning, to the most current iteration, with notable representation in between. I think Fire Emblem, for its gargantuan size, is well off. Plus, it already received a DLC character, so I'd rather see another franchise who needs a character more get the representation.
  • Ice Climber, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Miis, Game and Watch, Wii Fit: I'd say this is pretty self-explanatory...
  • Punch Out!!: Sure, all of Little Mac's opponents have their own abilities and strategies, but I don't think they have enough to warrant a full moveset. I think Little Mac is fine on his own, and he represents the spirit of Punch Out!! quite well. Sakurai could make something work, but I think Punch Out!! is fine as of Ultimate's current state.
  • Splatoon: I think Splatoon has a substantial amount of content already in Ultimate. The Octolings would be nice as echoes, but I don't really think Splatoon is in desperate need of a DLC character, and I'm not sure who would really work aside from the Inklings.
  • Pac-Man: I don't believe there's anyone really noteworthy from Pac-Man aside from the man himself. Ms. Pac-Man would certainly be a treat, but I believe she works best as an echo or an alt-costume.
  • Castlevania: Two noteworthy protagonists made it into Ultimate. I can't really see another one being added, and since Alucard is a boss and Castlevania as a whole has a good amount of representation, I think Castlevania is off the table DLC-wise.
  • Franchises that have already received a DLC character:
    • Persona
    • Dragon Quest
    • Banjo-Kazooie
    • King of Fighters
    • (Already discussed Fire Emblem above)
    • ARMS
    • Minecraft
    • Final Fantasy
With all of that being said, this leaves me with the franchises I think could really use some extra representation before the DLC season ends (assuming FP2 is the end, which I'm about 75% sure it is):
  • Mega Man: I feel like Mega Man has so much potential for another character, with the amount of iconic bosses and protagonists the series is home to. Off the top of my head, I can think of Zero, Proto Man, Bass, Mega Man X, Wily (but I guess Wily is technically off the table).
  • Sonic: Sonic is a very similar case to Mega Man. There's just so much untapped potential with this franchise that a second character wouldn't feel out of the blue. Although I think Mega Man and Sonic both have a substantial amount of content, I find they could use additional content considering how massive they are in the industry. As for Sonic, the most feasible choice still in the running is Dr. Eggman, but there's countless others that could work.
  • Xenoblade: It's so strange that only the first game in the series has substantial representation. Xenoblade is so much more than simply the first game. Not sure about a XCX character, but I think everyone is pining for Rex along with Pyra or Mythra.
  • Pokemon: Hear me out. Pokemon representation in Smash is scattered all over the place:
    • Gen 1: :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff:
    • Gen 2: :ultpichu:
    • Gen 4: :ultlucario:
    • Gen 6: :ultgreninja:
    • Gen 7: :ultincineroar:
    • Thoughts: Don't get me wrong, I'm not on my knees begging Nintendo to add a Gen 8 starter. But I do think there's some key players from other generations missing. This might be my most controversial statement in the post, considering I'm saying Pokemon deserves another rep over Fire Emblem, and I admit, I'm totally biased. But I don't know, I feel like something is missing with this franchise, and I think it's popularity (the size of which cannot be put into words) justifies an additional inclusion.
  • Metal Gear: Given the current state of the Metal Gear franchise, I don't know how likely another character would be, but I think the series is huge and only a fraction of it is represented in Smash. I think Metal Gear could use another pick to represent more of the series outside of what Snake and Shadow Moses Island already entails.
  • Street Fighter: This franchise is one of the hallmarks of the fighting game genre. There are countless characters who could be great picks for Smash and expand upon what we already have in Smash. Chun-Li is the popular choice right now, whose discussion I feel has exploded after Sephiroth's announcement. But I think other characters like Cammy and M. Bison would work really well here too.
  • Animal Crossing: Animal Crossing has exploded in popularity to new heights after FP2, so I'm not sure if we'd get a character in this pass. But I think AC is big enough to warrant a new inclusion while also representing other aspects of the series. Tom Nook anyone?

And there you have it. A very long post. Maybe a controversial post. Guess I'll wait and see to hear what others think. In my opinion, there are certain franchises that could really use more representation in Smash, and I'd love to see it happen with DLC. So... yeah.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't get how this is confirmation for chun-li at all, really. A tales character I can get (even though I really absolutely do not want one), but this isn't confirmation for Chun-Li any more than it is for Alucard or Decidueye.
It's not a confirmation, it's just something to watch.

The thing that people are looking mainly at is how long they've held the Monster Hunter costumes, and considering that we know from the Capcom Gigaleak that MH Rise is a timed exclusive, it makes sense from a marketing standpoint that the costumes will show up in March with CP9.

Now, will CP9 BE a Capcom character? Or will they be literally anyone else? THAT, we cannot say for sure.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not sure if I could clarify it as bait because around that time GBFVS announced Katalina so maybe the source just had wrong game info or something

Not sure how you can confuse the 2 though.
Afaik, Dragalia is getting an injection of GBF original characters pretty soon according to a leak, so if nothing else, Nintendo and Cygame's relationship does seem healthy.

I just don't think Hitagi is credible at all though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I had dropped this but whatever. I think you believe you sound smart, but you look really dumb.

What about jumping around like a hyperactive teenager is cool? If you're not able to make an intelligible response, then just don't feed the fire.
If I was smart, I'd not be here, I'll tell you that. But, hey - if you've dropped it, that's cool.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

I just don't see a gacha character happening, to be honest. If one did, you have to figure FGO would be at the top of the list, and that opens a whole new can o' worms (I do play FGO, for the record).

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Can't believe you've given me the headcanon of Urataros being a Trails stan, his favourite character is Olivier as they're both womanizers. (Or is Olivier an everyone-izer? Idk what the term should be then)
I didn't realize that either but now I want it.

Afaik, Dragalia is getting an injection of GBF original characters pretty soon according to a leak, so if nothing else, Nintendo and Cygame's relationship does seem healthy.

I just don't think Hitagi is credible at all though.
Yeah I don't believe Hitagi, I just thought the Smash rumors and Katalina in GBFVS showing up might have just been a weird coincidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom